IndiaDivine.org

Red Meat is bad for you.... what a surprise

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi everyoneCame across this article... http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.htmlThought the best bit was the statement by the President of the American Meat Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: " Meat products are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show

they actually provide a sense of satisfaction and fullness that can

help with weight control. Proper body weight contributes to good health

overall. " And that's his best argument? :-)LOL.BBPeter

Guest guest

Right on Peter. I had to bookmark that one. Thanks!

Bill- in Utah

, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi everyone

>

> Came across this article...

> http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.html

>

> Thought the best bit was the statement by the President of the American Meat

> Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: " Meat products are part

> of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a sense

> of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper body

> weight contributes to good health overall. "

>

> And that's his best argument? :-)

>

> LOL.

>

> BB

> Peter

>

Guest guest

Oh dear! Well, it should help the vegan cause.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:10 PM

Hi everyoneCame across this article... http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.htmlThought the best bit was the statement by the President of the American Meat Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: "Meat products are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a sense of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper body weight contributes to good health overall."And that's his best argument? :-)LOL.BBPeter

Guest guest

I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others like it in the past. Telling a meat eater that eating meat is unhealthty will probably make that person eat more of it. For me, being a Vegan is a spritual pursuit. Unfortunately, I was raised consuming animal products; When I ate vegan diet for a year, there were some health issues I had to deal with. This time around, I am making a more thought out attempt. At the risk of rufflling any feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had as far as what would be a healthier meal; just for argument's sake, just one meal. A small piece of 100%grass-fed beef from local farmer with organic local salad or same salad with some type of soy product,tofu, tempeh, etc, just based on nutritional content. I am just curious because I dont plan on using any soy products. Peace

-

jo.heartwork

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:27 PM

Re: Red Meat is bad for you.... what a surprise

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Hi everyoneCame across this article... http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.htmlThought the best bit was the statement by the President of the American Meat Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: "Meat products are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a sense of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper body weight contributes to good health overall."And that's his best argument? :-)LOL.BBPeter

Guest guest

I also know people who take notice of these articles, because they want to be

healthy. Obviously some people will never listen. If the articles are in the

mainstream news, more people take note than if they articles never surface.

Jo

, yarrow wrote:

>

> In my experience, articles like this do have an effect on some

> meat-eaters I've known. My cousin sent me a copy of the article, and

> said her parents bought a bunch of fruits and vegetables today

> because of it. She asked me if chicken was a safer choice. I've

> observed that the effect lasts for at least a week or two -- just

> like a doctor's warning to lose weight or reduce cholesterol or cut

> out sugar. I left a copy of John Robbins's first book at my mom's

> house, and she read it and didn't eat meat for a month or two.

>

> But then they go back to what's familiar again, in most cases. The

> people around them haven't changed or didn't pay attention to the

> original article, so don't have it floating around in their

> consciousness, and at every meal they're tempted to make an easier

> choice: someone invites them over for a meal, or they haven't learned

> to make veg versions of their favorite meals, and at a certain point

> it becomes too hard to wash those kale leaves or wait for the brown

> rice to be ready. It takes a couple weeks of doing things differently

> for people to change ingrained habits, so if someone can keep it up

> for that long, some of it may " stick " .

>

> ON the other hand, articles like this are a teachable moment, if

> there's someone you know who's struggling with health issues, or even

> anyone who expresses an interest. It gives you a reason to offer a

> lovely vegan meal, or a short e-mail with meal suggestions, or a

> low-pressure discussion about why you're veg*n.

>

> Many vegan cookbooks include a short chapter on vegan nutrition and

> meal planning. It's easy and need not involve soy products if you

> don't choose to eat them. Going veg is not about substituting one

> chunk-o-protein for another -- that's an unhealthy way to plan a

> meal. Genuine food is not a carb or a protein; wholesome foods have a

> whole range of vitamins and minerals that you can't get from

> manufactured foodlike substances or junkfood (or, actually, from

> animal products). Around here, all the public libraries have tons of

> vegan cookbooks, so you don't even have to buy a cookbook. Or you can

> look on a website -- pcrm and drmcdougall have good ones.

>

>

>

>

>

> At 3:54 PM -0400 3/24/09, Jon Kit wrote:

> I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others

> like it in the past. Telling a meat eater that eating meat is

> unhealthty will probably make that person eat more of it. For me,

> being a Vegan is a spritual pursuit. Unfortunately, I was raised

> consuming animal products; When I ate vegan diet for a year, there

> were some health issues I had to deal with. This time around, I am

> making a more thought out attempt. At the risk of rufflling any

> feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had as far as what

> would be a healthier meal; just for argument's sake, just one meal.

> A small piece of 100%grass-fed beef from local farmer with organic

> local salad or same salad with some type of soy product,tofu, tempeh,

> etc, just based on nutritional content. I am just curious because I

> dont plan on using any soy products. Peace

>

Guest guest

In my experience, articles like this do have an effect on some

meat-eaters I've known. My cousin sent me a copy of the article, and

said her parents bought a bunch of fruits and vegetables today because

of it. She asked me if chicken was a safer choice. I've observed that

the effect lasts for at least a week or two -- just like a doctor's

warning to lose weight or reduce cholesterol or cut out sugar. I left

a copy of John Robbins's first book at my mom's house, and she read it

and didn't eat meat for a month or two.

But then they go back to what's familiar again, in most cases.

The people around them haven't changed or didn't pay attention to the

original article, so don't have it floating around in their

consciousness, and at every meal they're tempted to make an easier

choice: someone invites them over for a meal, or they haven't learned

to make veg versions of their favorite meals, and at a certain point

it becomes too hard to wash those kale leaves or wait for the brown

rice to be ready. It takes a couple weeks of doing things differently

for people to change ingrained habits, so if someone can keep it up

for that long, some of it may " stick " .

ON the other hand, articles like this are a teachable moment, if

there's someone you know who's struggling with health issues, or even

anyone who expresses an interest. It gives you a reason to offer a

lovely vegan meal, or a short e-mail with meal suggestions, or a

low-pressure discussion about why you're veg*n.

Many vegan cookbooks include a short chapter on vegan nutrition

and meal planning. It's easy and need not involve soy products if you

don't choose to eat them. Going veg is not about substituting one

chunk-o-protein for another -- that's an unhealthy way to plan a meal.

Genuine food is not a carb or a protein; wholesome foods have a whole

range of vitamins and minerals that you can't get from manufactured

foodlike substances or junkfood (or, actually, from animal products).

Around here, all the public libraries have tons of vegan cookbooks, so

you don't even have to buy a cookbook. Or you can look on a website --

pcrm and drmcdougall have good ones.

At 3:54 PM -0400 3/24/09, Jon Kit wrote:

I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others

like it in the past. Telling a meat eater that eating meat is

unhealthty will probably make that person eat more of it. For

me, being a Vegan is a spritual pursuit. Unfortunately, I was

raised consuming animal products; When I ate vegan diet for a

year, there were some health issues I had to deal with. This

time around, I am making a more thought out attempt. At the risk

of rufflling any feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had

as far as what would be a healthier meal; just for argument's sake,

just one meal. A small piece of 100%grass-fed beef from local

farmer with organic local salad or same salad with some type of soy

product,tofu, tempeh, etc, just based on nutritional content. I

am just curious because I dont plan on using any soy products.

Peace

Guest guest

Hi Jon

I'd be intrigued to know why you don't plan using any soy products. It seems curious since you don't give the impression of having an allergy to soy, and I can't see any other reason why you would want to avoid it.

As far as the question of the healthiest diet goes - all of the data available suggests vegetarian / vegan over meat: average life expectancy is around 5 years more... incidents of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimers, MS, and most other serious diseases are far lower amongst vegans than meat eater. So I don't really think there's much question over which is healthier.

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:54 PM

I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others like it in the past. Telling a meat eater that eating meat is unhealthty will probably make that person eat more of it. For me, being a Vegan is a spritual pursuit. Unfortunately, I was raised consuming animal products; When I ate vegan diet for a year, there were some health issues I had to deal with. This time around, I am making a more thought out attempt. At the risk of rufflling any feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had as far as what would be a healthier meal; just for argument's sake, just one meal. A small piece of 100%grass-fed beef from local farmer with organic local salad or same salad with some type of soy product,tofu, tempeh, etc, just based on nutritional content. I am just curious because I dont plan on using any soy products. Peace

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

There is a great deal of conflicting information about soy and estrogen and possible health issues. I probably will have some fermented soy in my diet, tempeh, natto, soy sauce, etc. I see hydrolized protein in some mock meats, seems overly processed. I am going to eat mostly raw live foods. I prefer hemp milk over soy if I were to have some granola or something.

Vegan diet may very well be healthiest way to eat. The are people all over the world from various cultures eating many different foods with varying degrees of health. Food is one aspect of an individual's life. I read heart disease was very rare here in the united states 100 years ago when people ate a natural diet encompassing all food groups. When there was no processed foods, frozen foods, sugary cereals, fast food restaurants. The question of health I think has more to do with how your food is grown and processed as opposed to just what you eat. I have concerns with industrial farming weather it's organic vegetables or feedlot cattle.

-

Peter

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:42 AM

Hi Jon

I'd be intrigued to know why you don't plan using any soy products. It seems curious since you don't give the impression of having an allergy to soy, and I can't see any other reason why you would want to avoid it.

As far as the question of the healthiest diet goes - all of the data available suggests vegetarian / vegan over meat: average life expectancy is around 5 years more... incidents of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimers, MS, and most other serious diseases are far lower amongst vegans than meat eater. So I don't really think there's much question over which is healthier.

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

Hi JonYou might want to look closely at that " conflicting information " . *All* of the research which has been linked to the suggestion that there's a problem with soy has been funded by anti-vegan groups like the Meat Marketing Board, the Weston Price Foundation, etc. The genuine research is not in any way conflicting... soy is good for you except in very high quantities (heck, same thing is true about water!) Also, bear in mind that the country renowned for its very healthy long-livers is China, where soy is a major, and I mean very major part of the diet!

What it actually is, is this... Soy contains a substance known as " phyto-eostrogen " . Phyto-eostrogen has a similar chemical structure to eostrogen. Eostrogen is the female hormone. People with excess eostrogen hormones in their blood have problems.

Now, you might notice some important things here... firstly, there is no eostrogen in soy, simply something with a similar structure... well, so what? Secondly, consuming eostrogen (let alone phyto-eostrogen) does *not* mean that it goes into the blood stream. Therefore, the fact that there is something similar to eostrogen in soy has no bearing on health whatsoever. But if you're the meat marketing board, you're going to leap at any chance you get to condemn the alternatives to meat. Sadly, some people do fall for these ploys, hence the nonsense put around about soy and health problems.

Now here's a question... was heart disease really rare in the US 100 years ago, or was it simply hardly ever diagnosed? I don't doubt that there is now more heart disease everywhere than there was 100 years ago - veg has less than 1% of the nutritional value it had then due to intensive farming methods which sap the soil of its nutrients, so immediate health issue there. Similarly, we didn't have the likes of McD****d's 100 years ago. However, none of that means that heart disease didn't exist, and in quantities probably far higher than were diagnosed.

That's probably enough from me... all I'd suggest is, don't believe everything you read in the papers, particularly if it's telling you that meat is good for you, or that soy or vegetables are bad for you!

BBPeter2009/3/25 Jon Kit <jonkit

There is a great deal of conflicting information about soy and estrogen and possible health issues.  I probably will have some fermented soy in my diet, tempeh, natto, soy sauce, etc.  I see hydrolized protein in some mock meats, seems overly processed.  I am going to eat mostly raw live foods.  I prefer hemp milk over soy if I were to have some granola or something.

Vegan diet may very well be healthiest way to eat.  The are people all over the world from various cultures eating many different foods with varying degrees of health.  Food is one aspect of an individual's life.  I read heart disease was very rare here in the united states 100 years ago when people ate a natural diet encompassing all food groups.  When there was no processed foods, frozen foods, sugary cereals, fast food restaurants.  The question of health I think has more to do with how your food is grown and processed as opposed to just what you eat.  I have concerns with industrial farming weather it's organic vegetables or feedlot cattle.

-

Peter

Hi Jon

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others like it in the past.  Telling a meat eater that eating meat is unhealthty will probably make that person eat more of it.  For me, being a Vegan is a spritual pursuit.  Unfortunately, I was raised consuming animal products;  When I ate vegan diet for a year, there were some health issues I had to deal with.  This time around, I am making a more thought out attempt.  At the risk of rufflling any feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had as far as what would be a healthier meal; just for argument's sake, just one meal.  A small piece of 100%grass-fed beef from local farmer with organic local salad or same salad with some type of soy product,tofu, tempeh, etc, just based on nutritional content.  I am just curious because I dont plan on using any soy products.  Peace

-

jo.heartwork

Oh dear!  Well, it should help the vegan cause.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Hi everyoneCame across this article... http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.html

Thought the best bit was the statement by the President of the American Meat Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: " Meat products are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a sense of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper body weight contributes to good health overall. " And that's his best argument? :-)LOL.BBPeter

Guest guest

I think from all the research and data I have ever read, a vegan/vegetarian diet is far healthier than meat.

Jo

-

Jon Kit

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

Really, this discussion has no place here, as this is a vegan group - so the vast majority of us are not interested in eating meat, no matter what the circumstances. Personally, I don't really like to discuss it at all.

Jo

-

Jon Kit

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:41 PM

There is a great deal of conflicting information about soy and estrogen and possible health issues. I probably will have some fermented soy in my diet, tempeh, natto, soy sauce, etc. I see hydrolized protein in some mock meats, seems overly processed. I am going to eat mostly raw live foods. I prefer hemp milk over soy if I were to have some granola or something.

Vegan diet may very well be healthiest way to eat. The are people all over the world from various cultures eating many different foods with varying degrees of health. Food is one aspect of an individual's life. I read heart disease was very rare here in the united states 100 years ago when people ate a natural diet encompassing all food groups. When there was no processed foods, frozen foods, sugary cereals, fast food restaurants. The question of health I think has more to do with how your food is grown and processed as opposed to just what you eat. I have concerns with industrial farming weather it's organic vegetables or feedlot cattle.

-

Peter

Hi Jon

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

Soy is not bad for you. Take a look at the countries where soy is eaten a lot. Population studies are always well worth considering.

Jo

-

Jon Kit

-

Peter

Hi Jon

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

Well, I hope you emailed the person who provided the link about eating beef. I was answering a question regarding soy. If you just want endless happy posts about vegainism, just say so. If you do not wish to discuss it,..............dont.

-

jo.heartwork

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:40 PM

Really, this discussion has no place here, as this is a vegan group - so the vast majority of us are not interested in eating meat, no matter what the circumstances. Personally, I don't really like to discuss it at all.

Jo

-

Jon Kit

-

Peter

Hi Jon

BB

Peter

-

Jon Kit

-

jo.heartwork

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Guest guest

Yes - actually, I do want endless happy discussions - why would I want anything

other than 'happy'?

I see no need on a vegan chat group to discuss the perceived benefits of

meat-eating. We are just not interested in meat-eating, and find the subject

distasteful.

Jo

, " Jon Kit " <jonkit wrote:

>

> Well, I hope you emailed the person who provided the link about eating beef.

I was answering a question regarding soy. If you just want endless happy posts

about vegainism, just say so. If you do not wish to discuss

it,..............dont.

> -

> jo.heartwork

>

> Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:40 PM

> Re: Red Meat is bad for you.... what a surprise

>

>

>

> Really, this discussion has no place here, as this is a vegan group - so the

vast majority of us are not interested in eating meat, no matter what the

circumstances. Personally, I don't really like to discuss it at all.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> Jon Kit

>

> Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:41 PM

>

>

>

> There is a great deal of conflicting information about soy and estrogen

and possible health issues. I probably will have some fermented soy in my diet,

tempeh, natto, soy sauce, etc. I see hydrolized protein in some mock meats,

seems overly processed. I am going to eat mostly raw live foods. I prefer hemp

milk over soy if I were to have some granola or something.

> Vegan diet may very well be healthiest way to eat. The are people all

over the world from various cultures eating many different foods with varying

degrees of health. Food is one aspect of an individual's life. I read heart

disease was very rare here in the united states 100 years ago when people ate a

natural diet encompassing all food groups. When there was no processed foods,

frozen foods, sugary cereals, fast food restaurants. The question of health I

think has more to do with how your food is grown and processed as opposed to

just what you eat. I have concerns with industrial farming weather it's organic

vegetables or feedlot cattle.

> -

> Peter

>

> Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:42 AM

>

>

>

> Hi Jon

>

> I'd be intrigued to know why you don't plan using any soy products. It

seems curious since you don't give the impression of having an allergy to soy,

and I can't see any other reason why you would want to avoid it.

>

> As far as the question of the healthiest diet goes - all of the data

available suggests vegetarian / vegan over meat: average life expectancy is

around 5 years more... incidents of heart disease, cancer, Alzheimers, MS, and

most other serious diseases are far lower amongst vegans than meat eater. So I

don't really think there's much question over which is healthier.

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> Jon Kit

>

> Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:54 PM

>

>

> I dont think this article will have any impact, there been others like

it in the past. Telling a meat eater that eating meat is unhealthty will

probably make that person eat more of it. For me, being a Vegan is a spritual

pursuit. Unfortunately, I was raised consuming animal products; When I ate

vegan diet for a year, there were some health issues I had to deal with. This

time around, I am making a more thought out attempt. At the risk of rufflling

any feathers, I think there is a conversation to be had as far as what would be

a healthier meal; just for argument's sake, just one meal. A small piece of

100%grass-fed beef from local farmer with organic local salad or same salad with

some type of soy product,tofu, tempeh, etc, just based on nutritional content.

I am just curious because I dont plan on using any soy products. Peace

> -

> jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:27 PM

> Re: Red Meat is bad for you.... what a

surprise

>

>

>

> Oh dear! Well, it should help the vegan cause.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> -

> Peter Kebbell

>

> Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:10 PM

> Red Meat is bad for you.... what a surprise

>

>

> Hi everyone

>

> Came across this article...

http://uk.news./22/20090324/tpl-uk-meat-death-41a8b2f.html

>

> Thought the best bit was the statement by the President of the

American Meat Institute. His argument for why meat is healthy is: " Meat products

are part of a healthy, balanced diet and studies show they actually provide a

sense of satisfaction and fullness that can help with weight control. Proper

body weight contributes to good health overall. "

>

> And that's his best argument? :-)

>

> LOL.

>

> BB

> Peter

>