IndiaDivine.org

Calcium

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her mum

has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround supplement.

Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be vegan.

Guest guest

Yeah, eating animal protein and not getting enough vitamin D leads to that problem.

Try giving her these links:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html (ignore seafood)

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/dairyfreebasics/tp/CalciumFoods.htm (also ignore seafood)

Those are good to start off with. :)

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:49 AM, frostedcrow <frostedcrow wrote:

A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium.  I think her mum has osteoporosis.  I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround supplement.  Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be vegan.

---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*>    /

<*> Your email settings:   Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:   /join

( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:   -digest    -fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

Avoid all dairy, which CAUSES osteoporosis. Fruits and vegetables are packed full of calcium. Countries that eat more garden fresh produce and consume very little dairy have dramatically fewer cases of ailments like hip fractures. 

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM, frostedcrow <frostedcrow wrote:

A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her mum has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround supplement. Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be vegan.

Guest guest

Dark green vegetables pack a lot of calcium, and the body can use that calcium much more readily than the calcium that is in dairy products.   Brocolli, Spinach, Kale, Collard Greens, etc. are all excellent sources :)

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Terry Aley <aleydesign wrote:

Avoid all dairy, which CAUSES osteoporosis. Fruits and vegetables are packed full of calcium. Countries that eat more garden fresh produce and consume very little dairy have dramatically fewer cases of ailments like hip fractures. 

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM, frostedcrow <frostedcrow wrote:

A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her mum has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround supplement. Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be vegan.

Guest guest

Point out to your friend that most of world (Asians and Africans) don't eat dairy products, in fact, they frequently lactose-intolerant, yet have strong healthy bones and teeth and don't have our high incidence levels of osteoporosis. Six billion Asians can't be wrong. Also point out that primitive man didn't milk cows. God or Nature, however you want to look at it, didn't design our bodies to need or even consume dairy.

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of frostedcrowWednesday, April 08, 2009 11:50 PM Subject: Calcium

Guest guest

I agree with all this - and my reading supports it.

However - since going Vegan (Feb 1st) I had my first ever LOW CALCIUM result on my CBC on 3/17/09. I eat tons of green leafies and such and can't figure why minor changes in my diet (I was almost Vegan without a concerted effort) would result in low calcium. i did eliminate a very small amt of cheese and non-fat milk in my conversion to Vegan.

I will be re-testing in a month or so. I was going to supplement and then re-test. but I decided to keep focusing on eating right, healthful, greens - and see what the next test says and go from there. It could just be the AGE factor showing the change - I don't know. But it's something I'm thinking about!--- On Fri, 4/10/09, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

Dena Jo <DenaJo2RE: Calcium Date: Friday, April 10, 2009, 9:44 AM

Point out to your friend that most of world (Asians and Africans) don't eat dairy products, in fact, they frequently lactose-intolerant, yet have strong healthy bones and teeth and don't have our high incidence levels of osteoporosis. Six billion Asians can't be wrong. Also point out that primitive man didn't milk cows. God or Nature, however you want to look at it, didn't design our bodies to need or even consume dairy.

- DJ-----------------------Always remember: Today's mighty oak is simplyyesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of frostedcrowWednesday, April 08, 2009 11:50 PM Subject: Calcium

Guest guest

Interestingly, when I went vegan I went in the reverse. I used to test for low calcium and now I no longer do.

I also drink and eat fortified products like soy yogurt, so that may do the trick.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Sandy Mathiesen <smathiesen wrote:

I agree with all this - and my reading supports it.

However - since going Vegan (Feb 1st) I had my first ever LOW CALCIUM result on my CBC on 3/17/09.    I eat tons of green leafies and such and can't figure why minor changes in my diet (I was almost Vegan without a concerted effort) would result in low calcium.   i did eliminate a very small amt of cheese and non-fat milk in my conversion to Vegan.  

I will be re-testing in a month or so.  I was going to supplement and then re-test.   but I decided to keep focusing on eating right, healthful, greens - and see what the next test says and go from there.    It could just be the AGE factor showing the change - I don't know.  But it's something I'm thinking about!

--- On Fri, 4/10/09, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

Dena Jo <DenaJo2RE: Calcium Date: Friday, April 10, 2009, 9:44 AM

Point out to your friend that most of world (Asians and Africans) don't eat dairy products, in fact, they frequently lactose-intolerant, yet have strong healthy bones and teeth and don't have our high incidence levels of osteoporosis.  Six billion Asians can't be wrong.  Also point out that primitive man didn't milk cows.  God or Nature, however you want to look at it, didn't design our bodies to need or even consume dairy.

- DJ

-----------------------Always remember:  Today's mighty oak is simply

yesterday's nut that held its ground...

On Behalf Of frostedcrow

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 11:50 PM Subject: Calcium

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

has any one here heard of nerovat? I think it was just a way for my dad to get

me to eat my spinach. he said it was a Russian type of leafy green. but know

that I am all grown up I think he was jocking me.

katie )O(

, kerri myers <4lilpups wrote:

>

> Dark green vegetables pack a lot of calcium, and the body can use that

> calcium much more readily than the calcium that is in dairy products.

> Brocolli, Spinach, Kale, Collard Greens, etc. are all excellent sources :)

>

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Terry Aley <aleydesign wrote:

>

> >

> >

> > Avoid all dairy, which CAUSES osteoporosis. Fruits and vegetables are

> > packed full of calcium. Countries that eat more garden fresh produce and

> > consume very little dairy have dramatically fewer cases of ailments like hip

> > fractures.

> >

> >

> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM, frostedcrow <frostedcrowwrote:

> >

> >>

> >>

> >> A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her

> >> mum has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround

> >> supplement. Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to

be

> >> vegan.

> >>

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I think if you eat plenty of nuts and seeds, and green vegetables, plus maybe tofu and soya milk which has calcium added, you should be okay.

Jo

-

frostedcrow

Thursday, April 09, 2009 7:49 AM

Calcium

Guest guest

I agree. Many years ago I read an article that said that osteoporosis had become widespread since the consumption of cow's milk increased.

Jo

-

Blue Rose

Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:38 PM

Re: Calcium

Yeah, eating animal protein and not getting enough vitamin D leads to that problem.

Try giving her these links:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html (ignore seafood)

http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/dairyfreebasics/tp/CalciumFoods.htm (also ignore seafood)

Those are good to start off with. :)

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 2:49 AM, frostedcrow <frostedcrow > wrote:

A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her mum has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround supplement. Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be vegan.---To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Katie

When I do a Google search there are site links in foreign languages I don't understand - so I reckon it could be Russian.

Jo

-

Katie

Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:56 PM

Re: Calcium

has any one here heard of nerovat? I think it was just a way for my dad to get me to eat my spinach. he said it was a Russian type of leafy green. but know that I am all grown up I think he was jocking me.katie )O( , kerri myers <4lilpups wrote:>> Dark green vegetables pack a lot of calcium, and the body can use that> calcium much more readily than the calcium that is in dairy products.> Brocolli, Spinach, Kale, Collard Greens, etc. are all excellent sources :)> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Terry Aley <aleydesign wrote:> > >> >> > Avoid all dairy, which CAUSES osteoporosis. Fruits and vegetables are> > packed full of calcium. Countries that eat more garden fresh produce and> > consume very little dairy have dramatically fewer cases of ailments like hip> > fractures.> >> >> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM, frostedcrow <frostedcrowwrote:> >> >>> >>> >> A friend is considering going vegan and worries about calcium. I think her> >> mum has osteoporosis. I use fortified soya milk, and take an allround> >> supplement. Any other suggestions or information might help her decide to be> >> vegan.> >>> >> > > >>