IndiaDivine.org

Digest Number 4557

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle, Jo,

wash your hands alot and do not travel to mexico is what they have said.

Thanks for the info.

I found this article on today.

Swine flu's ground zero? Residents say nearby farm

Print

AP – Pigs are seen on a farm run by Granjas Carroll de Mexico on the outskirts of Xicaltepec in Mexico's Veracruz …

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer Olga R. Rodriguez, Associated Press Writer – Tue Apr 28, 4:53 am ET

LA GLORIA, Mexico – Residents in this community of 3,000 believe their town is ground zero for the swine flu epidemic, even if health officials aren't saying so.

More than 450 residents say they're suffering from respiratory problems from contamination spread by pig waste at nearby breeding farms co-owned by a U.S. company. Officials with the company say they've found no sign of swine flu on its farms, and Mexican authorities haven't determined the outbreak's origin.

The swine flu strain is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and cases have been confirmed in at least four other countries.

As far back as late March, roughly one-sixth of the residents here in the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz began complaining of respiratory infections that they say can be traced to a farm that lies upwind five miles (8.5 kilometers) to the north, in the town of Xaltepec.

But Jose Luis Martinez, a 34-year-old resident of La Gloria, said he knew the minute he learned about the outbreak on the news and heard a description of the symptoms: fever, coughing, joint aches, severe headache and, in some cases, vomiting and diarrhea.

"When we saw it on the television, we said to ourselves, 'This is what we had,'" he said Monday. "It all came from here. ... The symptoms they are suffering are the same that we had here."

Martinez and Bertha Crisostomo, a liaison between the villagers and the municipal government of Perote to which La Gloria belongs, say half of the people from the town live and work in Mexico City most of the week, and could easily have spread the swine flu in the capital, where the largest number of cases have been reported.

Granjas Carroll de Mexico, 50 percent owned by Virginia-based Smithfield Foods, Inc., has eight farms in the area. Smithfield spokeswoman Keira Ullrich said the company has found no clinical signs or symptoms of the presence of swine influenza in its swine herd or its employees working at its joint ventures anywhere in Mexico.

Residents say they have been bothered for years by the fetid smell of one the farms, which lies upwind of the community, and they suspect their water and air has been contaminated by waste.

When Associated Press journalists entered the farm on Monday, the cars were sprayed with water. Manager Victor Ochoa required the visitors to shower and don white overalls, rubber boots and masks before entering any of the 18 warehouses where 15,000 pigs are kept.

Ochoa showed the journalists a black plastic lid that covered a swimming pool-size cement container of pig feces to prevent exposure to the outside air.

"All of our pigs have been adequately vaccinated and they are all taken care of according to current sanitation rules," Ochoa said. "What happened in La Gloria was an unfortunate coincidence with a big and serious problem that is happening now with this new flu virus."

Martinez said residents have been fighting for years to force the company to improve their pig-waste management. Mexican news media reported that a municipal health official traced the source of a disease outbreak in La Gloria to a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste.

Local health officials and Federal Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova downplayed claims that the swine flu epidemic could have started in la Gloria, noting that of 30 mucous samples taken from victims of respiratory diseases there, only one — that of 4-year-old Edgar Hernandez — came back positive. The boy later recovered.

Cordova insisted the rest of the community had suffered from a common influenza.

Mexican Agriculture Department officials said Monday that its inspectors found no sign of swine flu among pigs around the farm in Veracruz, and that no infected pigs have been found yet anywhere in Mexico. But Ochoa, the farm manager, said no one from the government has inspected his farm for swine flu.

Juan Lubroth, an animal health expert at the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome, supported officials' assessment of the pig situation and said there is no evidence of sick or dying swine in Mexico.

Lubroth noted that Mexico has a surveillance system that previously eliminated an unrelated disease from the country's commercial pig population, which he said is a good indication that they also are conducting adequate reviews of pigs for swine flu.

Dr. Alejandro Escobar Mesa, deputy director for the control and prevention of disease for the state of Veracruz, said the epidemic in La Gloria was a combination of viral and bacterial illnesses, caused by an unusually dry climate.

"The dust dries up the mucous membranes and facilitates environmental conditions for the transmission of illnesses," Escobar said.

But residents here say they are certain that Edgar Hernandez was not the only swine flu victim in their town. Concepcion Llorente, a first-grade teacher in La Gloria, says authorities still owe the town some answers. "They said that what we had here was an atypical flu, but if the boy tested positive for swine flu, where did he get it from?" she said. ___

1a. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "Anouk" zurumato zurumato Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm ((PDT))Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.Anouk________________________________ Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556There is 1 message in this issue.Topics in this digest:1a. Re: Flu jo.heartworkMessage______________________1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is

our press that is trying to panic.BBJoMessages in this topic (7)______________________1b. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "fraggle" EBbrewpunx ebbrewpunx Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm ((PDT))body{font-family:Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:#ffffff;color: black;}well, not condoning eating of lil piggies, you can't get swineflu from eating pork. swine flu, including the media darling nowmaking the rounds, is airborne,. tho i suppose, eating pork lungtartar couldn't be could for one, for a whole variety of reasons,and definately not good for sir piggie.now, working around pigs, if they have swine flu, that canspread it.. normally,

humans aren't that suceptible to swine flu.but, flu's mutate. and eventually, one is gonna come around thatis communicable more easily. like this one is apparently.the mexican press is pushing that this current starin started insome small town, which happens to be surrounded by factoryfarmlots filled with pigs owned by the US company Smithklein.AnoukApr 27, 2009 2:31 PM Subject: Re: Digest Number 4556Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interestingthat the US government has not come right out and said (as aprecaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products" At least asfar as I know, they have not said this. However, from watchingspanish television I saw

that the Mexican government has saidthis to everyone.Anouk Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556There is 1 message in this issue.Topics in this digest:1a. Re: Flu jo.heartworkMessage_______________\_______1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork<jo.heartwork heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone fromthe World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yetdiscovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so Ithink it is our press that is trying to panic.BBJoSo, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass, Andthe generals have accomplished nothing. -Nefarious War Li Po (Circa 750) Messages in this topic (7)______________________1c. Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "Marilyn" Bkspedit

lillahthepagan Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm ((PDT))Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.~M , Anouk <zurumato wrote:>> Hi Jo, > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come

right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > Anouk> > > > ________________________________> > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> Digest Number 4556> > There is 1 message in this issue.> > Topics in this digest:> > 1a. Re:

Flu > jo.heartwork> > > Message> ______________________> 1a. Re: Flu> Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk> Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > BB> Jo>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1d. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm ((PDT))Hi AnoukI did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.Jo - Anouk Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM Re: Digest Number 4556 Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products" At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.

Anouk Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556 There is 1 message in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1a. Re: Flu jo.heartwork Message ______________________ 1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT)) I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic. BB Jo Messages in this topic (7)______________________1e. Re: Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm ((PDT))LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are not allowed to

display the cigarettes for sale.Jo , "Marilyn" <Bkspedit wrote:>> Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.> > ~M> > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:> >> > Hi Jo, > > > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > > > Anouk> > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> > Digest Number 4556> > > > There is 1 message in this issue.> > > > Topics in this digest:> > > > 1a. Re: Flu > > jo.heartwork> > > > > > Message> > ______________________> > 1a. Re: Flu> > Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork@ heartwerk> > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is

our press that is trying to panic.> > > > BB> > Jo> >>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1f. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "frostedcrow" frostedcrow frostedcrow Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm ((PDT))Havent heard any recommendations in the UK. I think the media like to work up a lather. , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Hi Anouk> > I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.> > Jo> > > ----- Original

Message ----- > Anouk > > Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM> Re: Digest Number 4556> > > > > > > Hi Jo, > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > Anouk> > > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> Digest Number 4556> > There is 1 message in this issue.> > Topics in this digest:> > 1a. Re: Flu > jo.heartwork> > > Message> ______________________> 1a. Re: Flu> Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk> Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > BB> Jo>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1g. Re: Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "Marilyn" Bkspedit lillahthepagan Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am ((PDT))Oh, and pork, well not that I go looking at the meat sections of the food stores anymore but I haven't seen nor heard anything about any restrictions or even advice on regulations on pork. Still too much money to be made on the slaughter of swine. Gee,

aren't we surprised? , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.> > Jo> > , "Marilyn" <Bkspedit@> wrote:> >> > Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and

I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.> > > > ~M> > > > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:> > >> > > Hi Jo, > > > > > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > > > > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > > > > > Anouk> > > > > > > > > > > >

________________________________> > > > > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> > > Digest Number 4556> > > > > > There is 1 message in this issue.> > > > > > Topics in this digest:> > > > > > 1a. Re: Flu > > > jo.heartwork> > > > > > > > > Message> > >

______________________> > > 1a. Re: Flu> > > Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork@ heartwerk> > > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > > > > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > > > > > BB> > > Jo> > >> >>Messages in this topic (7)__________2a. Simple Vegan Recipes Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 pm ((PDT))For quick basic recipes this site is good:http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/oMessages in this topic (3)__________3a. Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm ((PDT))I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi. Personally I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:Ingredients1 large potato, cut into bite size

cubes (you need to use a floury potato)half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces 1 tbsp olive oil1 onion, chopped3 cloves garlic, chopped1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds1 tsp turmeric1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped1 tbsp tomato purée 500ml water 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)MethodPeel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for another 2 mins.Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 mins until the potatoes and cauli are tender.Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!Messages in

this topic (2)______________________3b. Re: Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village Posted by: "frostedcrow" frostedcrow frostedcrow Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm ((PDT))I love Indian food too. Some of the takeaways do vegan dishes but you have to check each time. , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi. Personally I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:> > Ingredients> 1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)> half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces

> 1 tbsp olive oil> 1 onion, chopped> 3 cloves garlic, chopped> 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped> 1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped > 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds> 1 tsp turmeric> 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped> 1 tbsp tomato purée > 500ml water > 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)> > Method> Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.> Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.> Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for another 2 mins.> Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 mins until the potatoes and cauli are tender.> Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!>Messages

in this topic (2)To send an email to - ------

Guest guest

Hi Anouk

LOL - I found that article too - makes me wonder!

I always wash my hands (and my vegetables) :-)

BBJo

-

Anouk

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:14 PM

Digest Number 4557

Hi Fraggle, Jo,

wash your hands alot and do not travel to mexico is what they have said.

Thanks for the info.

I found this article on today.

Swine flu's ground zero? Residents say nearby farm

Print

AP – Pigs are seen on a farm run by Granjas Carroll de Mexico on the outskirts of Xicaltepec in Mexico's Veracruz …

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer Olga R. Rodriguez, Associated Press Writer – Tue Apr 28, 4:53 am ET

LA GLORIA, Mexico – Residents in this community of 3,000 believe their town is ground zero for the swine flu epidemic, even if health officials aren't saying so.

More than 450 residents say they're suffering from respiratory problems from contamination spread by pig waste at nearby breeding farms co-owned by a U.S. company. Officials with the company say they've found no sign of swine flu on its farms, and Mexican authorities haven't determined the outbreak's origin.

The swine flu strain is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and cases have been confirmed in at least four other countries.

As far back as late March, roughly one-sixth of the residents here in the Gulf Coast state of Veracruz began complaining of respiratory infections that they say can be traced to a farm that lies upwind five miles (8.5 kilometers) to the north, in the town of Xaltepec.

But Jose Luis Martinez, a 34-year-old resident of La Gloria, said he knew the minute he learned about the outbreak on the news and heard a description of the symptoms: fever, coughing, joint aches, severe headache and, in some cases, vomiting and diarrhea.

"When we saw it on the television, we said to ourselves, 'This is what we had,'" he said Monday. "It all came from here. ... The symptoms they are suffering are the same that we had here."

Martinez and Bertha Crisostomo, a liaison between the villagers and the municipal government of Perote to which La Gloria belongs, say half of the people from the town live and work in Mexico City most of the week, and could easily have spread the swine flu in the capital, where the largest number of cases have been reported.

Granjas Carroll de Mexico, 50 percent owned by Virginia-based Smithfield Foods, Inc., has eight farms in the area. Smithfield spokeswoman Keira Ullrich said the company has found no clinical signs or symptoms of the presence of swine influenza in its swine herd or its employees working at its joint ventures anywhere in Mexico.

Residents say they have been bothered for years by the fetid smell of one the farms, which lies upwind of the community, and they suspect their water and air has been contaminated by waste.

When Associated Press journalists entered the farm on Monday, the cars were sprayed with water. Manager Victor Ochoa required the visitors to shower and don white overalls, rubber boots and masks before entering any of the 18 warehouses where 15,000 pigs are kept.

Ochoa showed the journalists a black plastic lid that covered a swimming pool-size cement container of pig feces to prevent exposure to the outside air.

"All of our pigs have been adequately vaccinated and they are all taken care of according to current sanitation rules," Ochoa said. "What happened in La Gloria was an unfortunate coincidence with a big and serious problem that is happening now with this new flu virus."

Martinez said residents have been fighting for years to force the company to improve their pig-waste management. Mexican news media reported that a municipal health official traced the source of a disease outbreak in La Gloria to a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste.

Local health officials and Federal Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova downplayed claims that the swine flu epidemic could have started in la Gloria, noting that of 30 mucous samples taken from victims of respiratory diseases there, only one — that of 4-year-old Edgar Hernandez — came back positive. The boy later recovered.

Cordova insisted the rest of the community had suffered from a common influenza.

Mexican Agriculture Department officials said Monday that its inspectors found no sign of swine flu among pigs around the farm in Veracruz, and that no infected pigs have been found yet anywhere in Mexico. But Ochoa, the farm manager, said no one from the government has inspected his farm for swine flu.

Juan Lubroth, an animal health expert at the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome, supported officials' assessment of the pig situation and said there is no evidence of sick or dying swine in Mexico.

Lubroth noted that Mexico has a surveillance system that previously eliminated an unrelated disease from the country's commercial pig population, which he said is a good indication that they also are conducting adequate reviews of pigs for swine flu. Dr. Alejandro Escobar Mesa, deputy director for the control and prevention of disease for the state of Veracruz, said the epidemic in La Gloria was a combination of viral and bacterial illnesses, caused by an unusually dry climate. "The dust dries up the mucous membranes and facilitates environmental conditions for the transmission of illnesses," Escobar said. But residents here say they are certain that Edgar Hernandez was not the only swine flu victim in their town. Concepcion Llorente, a first-grade teacher in La Gloria, says authorities still owe the town some answers. "They said that what we had here was an atypical flu, but if the boy tested positive for swine flu, where did he get it from?" she said. ___

1a. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "Anouk" zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net zurumato Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm ((PDT))Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.Anouk________________________________ Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556There is 1 message in this issue.Topics in this digest:1a. Re: Flu jo.heartworkMessage______________________1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.BBJoMessages in this topic (7)______________________1b. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "fraggle" EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net ebbrewpunx Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm ((PDT))body{font-family:Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:#ffffff;color: black;}well, not condoning eating of lil piggies, you can't get swineflu from eating pork. swine flu, including the media darling nowmaking the rounds, is airborne,. tho i suppose, eating pork lungtartar couldn't be could for one, for a whole variety of reasons,and definately not good for sir piggie.now, working around pigs, if they have swine flu, that canspread it.. normally, humans aren't that suceptible to swine flu.but, flu's mutate. and eventually, one is gonna come around thatis communicable more easily. like this one is apparently.the mexican press is pushing that this current starin started insome small town, which happens to be surrounded by factoryfarmlots filled with pigs owned by the US company Smithklein.AnoukApr 27, 2009 2:31 PM Subject: Re: Digest Number 4556Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interestingthat the US government has not come right out and said (as aprecaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products" At least asfar as I know, they have not said this. However, from watchingspanish television I saw that the Mexican government has saidthis to everyone.Anouk Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556There is 1 message in this issue.Topics in this digest:1a. Re: Flu jo.heartworkMessage_______________\_______1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork > heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone fromthe World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yetdiscovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so Ithink it is our press that is trying to panic.BBJoSo, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass, Andthe generals have accomplished nothing. -Nefarious War Li Po (Circa 750) Messages in this topic (7)______________________1c. Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "Marilyn" Bkspedit (AT) Hotmail (DOT) com lillahthepagan Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm ((PDT))Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.~M , Anouk <zurumato wrote:>> Hi Jo, > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > Anouk> > > > ________________________________> > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> Digest Number 4556> > There is 1 message in this issue.> > Topics in this digest:> > 1a. Re: Flu > jo.heartwork> > > Message> ______________________> 1a. Re: Flu> Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk> Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > BB> Jo>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1d. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm ((PDT))Hi AnoukI did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.Jo - Anouk Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM Re: Digest Number 4556 Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products" At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone. Anouk Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM Digest Number 4556 There is 1 message in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1a. Re: Flu jo.heartwork Message ______________________ 1a. Re: Flu Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT)) I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic. BB Jo Messages in this topic (7)______________________1e. Re: Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm ((PDT))LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.Jo , "Marilyn" <Bkspedit wrote:>> Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.> > ~M> > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:> >> > Hi Jo, > > > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > > > Anouk> > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> > Digest Number 4556> > > > There is 1 message in this issue.> > > > Topics in this digest:> > > > 1a. Re: Flu > > jo.heartwork> > > > > > Message> > ______________________> > 1a. Re: Flu> > Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork@ heartwerk> > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > > > BB> > Jo> >>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1f. Re: Digest Number 4556 Posted by: "frostedcrow" frostedcrow frostedcrow Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm ((PDT))Havent heard any recommendations in the UK. I think the media like to work up a lather. , "jo.heartwork" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Hi Anouk> > I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.> > Jo> > > - > Anouk > > Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM> Re: Digest Number 4556> > > > > > > Hi Jo, > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > Anouk> > > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> Digest Number 4556> > There is 1 message in this issue.> > Topics in this digest:> > 1a. Re: Flu > jo.heartwork> > > Message> ______________________> 1a. Re: Flu> Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork heartwerk> Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > BB> Jo>Messages in this topic (7)______________________1g. Re: Lung cancer and pork too Posted by: "Marilyn" Bkspedit (AT) Hotmail (DOT) com lillahthepagan Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am ((PDT))Oh, and pork, well not that I go looking at the meat sections of the food stores anymore but I haven't seen nor heard anything about any restrictions or even advice on regulations on pork. Still too much money to be made on the slaughter of swine. Gee, aren't we surprised? , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.> > Jo> > , "Marilyn" <Bkspedit@> wrote:> >> > Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.> > > > ~M> > > > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:> > >> > > Hi Jo, > > > > > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), "Do NOT eat pork or pork products"> > > > > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.> > > > > > Anouk> > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > > > > > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM> > > Digest Number 4556> > > > > > There is 1 message in this issue.> > > > > > Topics in this digest:> > > > > > 1a. Re: Flu > > > jo.heartwork> > > > > > > > > Message> > > ______________________> > > 1a. Re: Flu> > > Posted by: "jo.heartwork" jo.heartwork@ heartwerk> > > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))> > > > > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.> > > > > > BB> > > Jo> > >> >>Messages in this topic (7)__________2a. Simple Vegan Recipes Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 pm ((PDT))For quick basic recipes this site is good:http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/oMessages in this topic (3)__________3a. Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village Posted by: "heartwerk" jo.heartwork heartwerk Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm ((PDT))I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi. Personally I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:Ingredients1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces 1 tbsp olive oil1 onion, chopped3 cloves garlic, chopped1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds1 tsp turmeric1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped1 tbsp tomato purée 500ml water 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)MethodPeel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for another 2 mins.Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 mins until the potatoes and cauli are tender.Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!Messages in this topic (2)______________________3b. Re: Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village Posted by: "frostedcrow" frostedcrow frostedcrow Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm ((PDT))I love Indian food too. Some of the takeaways do vegan dishes but you have to check each time. , "heartwerk" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi. Personally I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:> > Ingredients> 1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)> half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces > 1 tbsp olive oil> 1 onion, chopped> 3 cloves garlic, chopped> 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped> 1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped > 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds> 1 tsp turmeric> 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped> 1 tbsp tomato purée > 500ml water > 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)> > Method> Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.> Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.> Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for another 2 mins.> Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and simmer for 15 mins until the potatoes and cauli are tender.> Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!>Messages in this topic (2)To send an email to - ------

Guest guest

THE FOLLOWING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT SWINE/BIRD FLU

SITUATION.  I OFFER IT AS A KIND OF HISTORICAL FOOTNOTE.

I am proud to say that my dear biological mother’s father, my

maternal grandfather, dropped dead during the first swine flu epidemic of 1918. 

That’s why I never knew him but I knew my grandmother.  My grandfather fought

in WWI, came home to Missouri, worked the farm, went out to milk the cows one morning,

came home, ate dinner and dropped dead.  That’s how fast younger folks between

25-45 were passing away from this thing.  They actually found young parents

laying in bed deceased with their living children playing on top of them.    It

was said to have started at a military base down here in the South – I forget

the name of the base – where soldier trainees burned some deceased pigs, and

well, the rest was history.  There were hotspots in Europe as well, of course,

but it didn’t help that millions of American “doughboys†were carting it across

the Atlantic during WWI.

During the brief Presidency of Gerald Ford here in the US, I was

at a university of 45,000 students.  There was an alarm that swine flu was on

the way back into the young adult age population in the US.  He issued some

kind of an executive order telling all, and I mean all, colleges and

universities to vaccinate their student populations forthwith for the swine

flu.  Government even paid for the vaccines.  So, because we were obedient and

somewhat stupid, we all lined up to be vaccinated by the thousands.  At my

University, they did it over a period of about a month, with the students

standing in lines of about 2,500 students daily.  I stood in line for 10 hours,

because well, I was obedient and stupid. Of course, it did not work out so well

when approximately 1/10 of the students vaccinated got a nasty disease called

Guillan-Barre syndrome, which killed many and paralyzed others.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with the swine flu

that is appearing today.  This swine flu seems to have bird flu with it.  BUT,

it’s interesting how the media can whip us all into a frenzy, isn’t it?

ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE:

I adhere the bestest I can to a Vegan diet.  I have had multiple

kinds of cancer.  Because the first cancer I had was colon cancer, I get a

colonoscopy every year.  For 22 years the doctor has cut polyps out of me to

biopsy, which fortunately have been benign.  HOWEVER, yesterday, for the first

time in 22 years,

THERE WERE NO POLYPS TO LOOK AT.  NONE.  NOTHING. HE HAD NOTHING

TO BIOPSY.  HE WAS AMAZED.

Just thought I’d mention it, fellow herbivores.

Love ya

Cyn

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:00 PM

Re: Digest Number 4557

Hi

Anouk

LOL

- I found that article too - makes me wonder!

I

always wash my hands (and my vegetables) :-)

BB

Jo

-----

Original Message -----

Anouk

Tuesday, April 28,

2009 4:14 PM

Digest

Number 4557

Hi Fraggle,

Jo,

wash your

hands alot and do not travel to mexico is what they have said.

Thanks for

the info.

I found this

article on today.

Swine flu's ground zero?

Residents say nearby farm

Print

AP – Pigs are seen on a farm

run by Granjas Carroll de Mexico on the outskirts of Xicaltepec in Mexico's

Veracruz …

By OLGA

R. RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer Olga R. Rodriguez, Associated Press

Writer – Tue Apr 28,

4:53 am ET

LA GLORIA, Mexico – Residents

in this community of 3,000 believe their town is ground zero for the swine flu

epidemic, even if health officials aren't saying so.

More than 450 residents say

they're suffering from respiratory problems from

contamination spread by pig waste at nearby breeding farms co-owned by a U.S.

company. Officials with the company say they've found no sign of swine flu on

its farms, and Mexican authorities haven't determined the outbreak's origin.

The swine flu strain is

suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and

cases have been confirmed in at least four other countries.

As far back as late March,

roughly one-sixth of the residents here in the Gulf

Coast state of Veracruz began complaining of respiratory

infections that they say can be traced to a farm that lies upwind five

miles (8.5 kilometers) to the north, in the town of Xaltepec.

But Jose Luis Martinez, a

34-year-old resident of La Gloria, said he knew the minute he learned about the

outbreak on the news and heard a description of the symptoms: fever, coughing,

joint aches, severe headache and, in some cases, vomiting and diarrhea.

" When we saw it on the

television, we said to ourselves, 'This is what we had,' " he said Monday.

" It all came from here. ... The symptoms they are suffering are the same

that we had here. "

Martinez and Bertha

Crisostomo, a liaison between the villagers and the municipal government of

Perote to which La Gloria belongs, say half of the people from the town live

and work in Mexico City most of the week, and

could easily have spread the swine flu in the capital, where the largest number

of cases have been reported.

Granjas Carroll de Mexico, 50

percent owned by Virginia-based Smithfield Foods, Inc., has eight farms in the

area. Smithfield spokeswoman Keira Ullrich said the company has found no

clinical signs or symptoms of the presence of swine influenza in its swine herd

or its employees working at its joint ventures anywhere in Mexico.

Residents say they have been

bothered for years by the fetid smell of one the farms, which lies upwind of

the community, and they suspect their water and air has been contaminated by

waste.

When Associated Press

journalists entered the farm on Monday, the cars were sprayed with water.

Manager Victor Ochoa required the visitors to shower and don white overalls,

rubber boots and masks before entering any of the 18 warehouses where 15,000

pigs are kept.

Ochoa showed the journalists

a black plastic lid that covered a swimming pool-size cement container of pig

feces to prevent exposure to the outside air.

" All of our pigs have

been adequately vaccinated and they are all taken care of according to current

sanitation rules, " Ochoa said. " What happened in La Gloria was an

unfortunate coincidence with a big and serious problem that is happening now

with this new flu virus. "

Martinez said residents have

been fighting for years to force the company to improve their pig-waste

management. Mexican news media reported that a municipal health official traced

the source of a disease outbreak in La Gloria to a type of fly that reproduces

in pig waste.

Local health officials and

Federal Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova downplayed claims that the swine

flu epidemic could have started in la Gloria, noting that of 30 mucous samples

taken from victims of respiratory diseases there,

only one — that of 4-year-old Edgar Hernandez — came back positive. The boy

later recovered.

Cordova insisted the rest of

the community had suffered from a common influenza.

Mexican Agriculture

Department officials said Monday that its inspectors found no sign of swine flu

among pigs around the farm in Veracruz, and that no infected pigs have been

found yet anywhere in Mexico. But Ochoa, the farm

manager, said no one from the government has inspected his farm for swine flu.

Juan Lubroth, an animal

health expert at the U.N. Food and Agriculture

Organization in Rome, supported officials'

assessment of the pig situation and said there is no evidence of sick or dying

swine in Mexico.

Lubroth noted that Mexico has

a surveillance system that previously eliminated an unrelated disease from the

country's commercial pig population, which he said is a good indication that

they also are conducting adequate reviews of pigs for swine flu.

Dr. Alejandro Escobar Mesa,

deputy director for the control and prevention of disease for the state of Veracruz, said the epidemic in La Gloria was a

combination of viral and bacterial illnesses, caused by an unusually dry

climate.

" The dust dries up the mucous membranes and facilitates environmental

conditions for the transmission of illnesses, " Escobar said.

But residents here say they

are certain that Edgar Hernandez was not the only swine flu victim in their

town. Concepcion Llorente, a first-grade teacher in La Gloria, says authorities

still owe the town some answers.

" They said that what we

had here was an atypical flu, but if the boy tested positive for swine flu,

where did he get it from? " she said.

___

1a. Re: Digest Number 4556

Posted by: " Anouk " zurumato zurumato

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm ((PDT))

Hi Jo,

I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government has

not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do NOT eat pork

or pork products "

At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from

watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to

everyone.

Anouk

" "

Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

Digest Number 4556

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Flu

jo.heartwork

Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork heartwerk

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus

were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying

to panic.

BB

Jo

Messages in this topic (7)

1b. Re: Digest Number 4556

Posted by: " fraggle " EBbrewpunx ebbrewpunx

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm ((PDT))

body{font-family:

Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:

#ffffff;color: black;}

well, not condoning eating of lil piggies, you can't get swine

flu from eating pork. swine flu, including the media darling now

making the rounds, is airborne,. tho i suppose, eating pork lung

tartar couldn't be could for one, for a whole variety of reasons,

and definately not good for sir piggie.

now, working around pigs, if they have swine flu, that can

spread it.. normally, humans aren't that suceptible to swine flu.

but, flu's mutate. and eventually, one is gonna come around that

is communicable more easily. like this one is apparently.

the mexican press is pushing that this current starin started in

some small town, which happens to be surrounded by factory

farmlots filled with pigs owned by the US company Smithklein.

Anouk

Apr 27, 2009 2:31 PM

Re: Digest Number 4556

Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting

that the US government has not come right out and said (as a

precaution), " Do NOT eat pork or pork products " At least

as

far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said

this to everyone.

Anouk

" "

Digest Number 4556

Topics in this digest:

jo.heartwork

_______________\

_______

Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork

<jo.heartwork

heartwerk

I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from

the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet

discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I

think it is our press that is trying to panic.

BB

Jo

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass, And

the generals have accomplished nothing. -Nefarious

War

Li Po (Circa 750)

1c. Lung cancer and pork too

Posted by: " Marilyn " Bkspedit lillahthepagan

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm ((PDT))

Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about

lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the

pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few

pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty

dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly

true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to

cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each pack about

underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.

~M

Anouk <zurumato wrote:

>

> Hi Jo,

>

> I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

government has not come right out and said (as a precaution),

" Do NOT eat pork or pork products "

>

> At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from

everyone.

>

> Anouk

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> " "

>

> Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

> Digest Number 4556

>

> There is 1 message in this issue.

>

> Topics in this digest:

>

> 1a. Re: Flu

> jo.heartwork

>

>

> Message

> ______________________

> Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork

heartwerk

> Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the

World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the

flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is

trying to panic.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

1d. Re: Digest Number 4556

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm ((PDT))

Hi Anouk

I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK

either.

Jo

-

Anouk

Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM

Re: Digest Number 4556

Hi Jo,

I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do

NOT eat pork or pork products "

At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from

everyone.

Anouk

" "

Digest Number 4556

Topics in this digest:

jo.heartwork

I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the

flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is

trying to panic.

BB

Jo

1e. Re: Lung cancer and pork too

Posted by: " heartwerk " jo.heartwork heartwerk

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm ((PDT))

LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are

not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.

Jo

" Marilyn " <Bkspedit wrote:

>

> Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything

about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing

the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a

few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The

almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation.

Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to

>

> ~M

>

> ,

Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Jo,

> >

> > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

> >

> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However,

from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said

this to everyone.

> >

> > Anouk

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > " "

> >

> > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

> > Digest Number 4556

> >

> > There is 1 message in this issue.

> >

> > Topics in this digest:

> >

> > 1a. Re: Flu

> > jo.heartwork

> >

> >

> > Message

> > ______________________

> > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@

heartwerk

> > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

> >

> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from

the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether

the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is

trying to panic.

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

>

1f. Re: Digest Number 4556

Posted by: " frostedcrow " frostedcrow frostedcrow

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm ((PDT))

Havent heard any recommendations in the UK. I think the media like to

work up a lather.

" jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Anouk

>

> I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK

either.

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

> Anouk

>

> Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM

> Re: Digest Number 4556

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi Jo,

>

> I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do

NOT eat pork or pork products "

>

> At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However,

from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said

this to everyone.

>

> Anouk

>

>

>

>

> " "

>

> Digest Number 4556

>

>

> Topics in this digest:

>

> jo.heartwork

>

>

> Message

> ______________________

heartwerk

>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from

the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether

the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is

trying to panic.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

1g. Re: Lung cancer and pork too

Posted by: " Marilyn " Bkspedit lillahthepagan

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am ((PDT))

Oh, and pork, well not that I go looking at the meat sections of the food

stores anymore but I haven't seen nor heard anything about any restrictions or

even advice on regulations on pork. Still too much money to be made on

the slaughter of swine. Gee, aren't we surprised?

" heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they

are not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.

>

> Jo

>

> ,

" Marilyn " <Bkspedit@> wrote:

> >

> > Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said

anything about lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're

taxing the pants off the consumer so they won't say a word! If they can

get a few pennies from the farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The

almighty dollar always speaks the loudest around this nation.

Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did do a bit of something to

> >

> > ~M

> >

> > ,

Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi Jo,

> > >

> > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

> > >

> > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this.

However, from watching spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has

said this to everyone.

> > >

> > > Anouk

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ________________________________

> > > " "

> > >

> > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

> > > Digest Number 4556

> > >

> > > There is 1 message in this issue.

> > >

> > > Topics in this digest:

> > >

> > > 1a. Re: Flu

> > > jo.heartwork

> > >

> > >

> > > Message

> > > ______________________

> > > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@

heartwerk

> > > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

> > >

> > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone

from the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered

whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that

is trying to panic.

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Jo

> > >

> >

>

2a. Simple Vegan Recipes

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 pm ((PDT))

For quick basic recipes this site is good:

http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/

o

Messages in this topic (3)

3a. Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm ((PDT))

I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi.

Personally I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:

Ingredients

1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)

half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces

1 tbsp olive oil

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped

1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped

1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds

1 tsp turmeric

1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

1 tbsp tomato purée

500ml water

1 tsp garam masala (to taste)

Method

Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.

Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and

chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for

another 2 mins.

Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and

simmer for 15 mins until the potatoes and cauli are tender.

Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!

Messages in this topic (2)

3b. Re: Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village

Posted by: " frostedcrow " frostedcrow frostedcrow

Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm ((PDT))

I love Indian food too. Some of the takeaways do vegan dishes but you

have to check each time.

" heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi.

>

> Ingredients

> 1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)

> half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces

> 1 tbsp olive oil

> 1 onion, chopped

> 3 cloves garlic, chopped

> 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped

> 1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped

> 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds

> 1 tsp turmeric

> 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

> 1 tbsp tomato purée

> 500ml water

> 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)

>

> Method

> Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.

> Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.

> Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger

and chilli for 1 min, then add the almonds, turmeric and coriander and cook for

another 2 mins.

> Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and

> Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!

>

To send an email to -

------

Guest guest

It was said to have started at a military base down here in the South – I forget the name of the base –

Fort Riley Kansas has been hypothesiezed as a ground zero for the 1918 ground zero

THERE WERE NO POLYPS TO LOOK AT. NONE. NOTHING. HE HAD NOTHING TO BIOPSY. HE WAS AMAZED.

amazing! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!

Recent Activity

New Members

New PollsVisit Your Group

Give Back

for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass,

And the generals have accomplished nothing.

-Nefarious War

Li Po (Circa 750)

Guest guest

Thanks Cyn

The article is very interesting. Also I'm glad to hear your good news :-) I

know diet can make a difference. My husband had colitis for about 15 years and

had to take tablets every day. I persuaded him to see a naturopathic

nutritionist who made various recommendations (no dairy, no wheat, no onions

(although shallots, leeks, spring onions and chives are fine), no oranges). He

was told to eat cucumber often. After two years on the diet his colonoscopy

came back completely okay and he was told he no longer needed any tablets. He

had previously been told that once you have colitis you are on tablets for the

rest of your life!

Jo

, " CKG " <cynthiaandtheothers wrote:

>

> THE FOLLOWING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CURRENT SWINE/BIRD FLU SITUATION. I

OFFER IT AS A KIND OF HISTORICAL FOOTNOTE.

>

>

>

> I am proud to say that my dear biological mother’s father, my maternal

grandfather, dropped dead during the first swine flu epidemic of 1918. That’s

why I never knew him but I knew my grandmother. My grandfather fought in WWI,

came home to Missouri, worked the farm, went out to milk the cows one morning,

came home, ate dinner and dropped dead. That’s how fast younger folks between

25-45 were passing away from this thing. They actually found young parents

laying in bed deceased with their living children playing on top of them. It

was said to have started at a military base down here in the South †" I forget

the name of the base †" where soldier trainees burned some deceased pigs, and

well, the rest was history. There were hotspots in Europe as well, of course,

but it didn’t help that millions of American “doughboys†were carting it

across the Atlantic during WWI.

>

>

>

> During the brief Presidency of Gerald Ford here in the US, I was at a

university of 45,000 students. There was an alarm that swine flu was on the way

back into the young adult age population in the US. He issued some kind of an

executive order telling all, and I mean all, colleges and universities to

vaccinate their student populations forthwith for the swine flu. Government

even paid for the vaccines. So, because we were obedient and somewhat stupid,

we all lined up to be vaccinated by the thousands. At my University, they did

it over a period of about a month, with the students standing in lines of about

2,500 students daily. I stood in line for 10 hours, because well, I was

obedient and stupid. Of course, it did not work out so well when approximately

1/10 of the students vaccinated got a nasty disease called Guillan-Barre

syndrome, which killed many and paralyzed others.

>

>

>

> Of course, none of this has anything to do with the swine flu that is

appearing today. This swine flu seems to have bird flu with it. BUT, it’s

interesting how the media can whip us all into a frenzy, isn’t it?

>

>

>

> ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE:

>

>

>

> I adhere the bestest I can to a Vegan diet. I have had multiple kinds of

cancer. Because the first cancer I had was colon cancer, I get a colonoscopy

every year. For 22 years the doctor has cut polyps out of me to biopsy, which

fortunately have been benign. HOWEVER, yesterday, for the first time in 22

years,

>

>

>

> THERE WERE NO POLYPS TO LOOK AT. NONE. NOTHING. HE HAD NOTHING TO BIOPSY.

HE WAS AMAZED.

>

>

>

> Just thought I’d mention it, fellow herbivores.

>

>

>

> Love ya

>

>

>

> Cyn

>

>

>

> On Behalf

Of jo.heartwork

> Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:00 PM

>

> Re: Digest Number 4557

>

>

>

> Hi Anouk

>

>

>

> LOL - I found that article too - makes me wonder!

>

>

>

> I always wash my hands (and my vegetables) :-)

>

>

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

>

> -

>

> Anouk <zurumato

>

>

>

> Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:14 PM

>

> Digest Number 4557

>

>

>

> Hi Fraggle, Jo,

>

>

>

>

>

> wash your hands alot and do not travel to mexico is what they have said.

>

>

>

>

>

> Thanks for the info.

>

>

>

> I found this article on today.

>

>

> Swine flu's ground zero? Residents say nearby farm

>

>

> * Print

<http://news./s/ap/20090428/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico_groun\

d_zero/print>

>

>

<http://news./nphotos/Pigs-Mexico/photo/090428/483/9312fee7e761484ca431\

4253e9ab6e93/s:/ap/20090428/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_swine_flu_mexico_ground_zero>

Pigs are seen on a farm run by Granjas Carroll de Mexico on the outskirts ofAP

†" Pigs are seen on a farm run by Granjas Carroll de Mexico on the outskirts of

Xicaltepec in Mexico's Veracruz …

By OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer Olga R. Rodriguez, Associated

Press Writer †" Tue Apr 28, 4:53 am ET

>

> LA GLORIA, Mexico †" Residents in this community of 3,000 believe their town

is ground zero for the swine flu epidemic, even if health officials aren't

saying so.

>

> More than 450 residents say they're suffering from respiratory problems from

contamination spread by pig waste at nearby breeding farms co-owned by a U.S.

company. Officials with the company say they've found no sign of swine flu on

its farms, and Mexican authorities haven't determined the outbreak's origin.

>

>

>

> The swine flu strain is suspected in more than 150 deaths in Mexico and cases

have been confirmed in at least four other countries.

>

> As far back as late March, roughly one-sixth of the residents here in the Gulf

Coast state of Veracruz began complaining of respiratory infections that they

say can be traced to a farm that lies upwind five miles (8.5 kilometers) to the

north, in the town of Xaltepec.

>

>

>

> But Jose Luis Martinez, a 34-year-old resident of La Gloria, said he knew the

minute he learned about the outbreak on the news and heard a description of the

symptoms: fever, coughing, joint aches, severe headache and, in some cases,

vomiting and diarrhea.

>

> " When we saw it on the television, we said to ourselves, 'This is what we

had,' " he said Monday. " It all came from here. ... The symptoms they are

suffering are the same that we had here. "

>

> Martinez and Bertha Crisostomo, a liaison between the villagers and the

municipal government of Perote to which La Gloria belongs, say half of the

people from the town live and work in Mexico City most of the week, and could

easily have spread the swine flu in the capital, where the largest number of

cases have been reported.

>

>

>

> Granjas Carroll de Mexico, 50 percent owned by Virginia-based Smithfield

Foods, Inc., has eight farms in the area. Smithfield spokeswoman Keira Ullrich

said the company has found no clinical signs or symptoms of the presence of

swine influenza in its swine herd or its employees working at its joint ventures

anywhere in Mexico.

>

>

>

> Residents say they have been bothered for years by the fetid smell of one the

farms, which lies upwind of the community, and they suspect their water and air

has been contaminated by waste.

>

> When Associated Press journalists entered the farm on Monday, the cars were

sprayed with water. Manager Victor Ochoa required the visitors to shower and don

white overalls, rubber boots and masks before entering any of the 18 warehouses

where 15,000 pigs are kept.

>

> Ochoa showed the journalists a black plastic lid that covered a swimming

pool-size cement container of pig feces to prevent exposure to the outside air.

>

>

>

> " All of our pigs have been adequately vaccinated and they are all taken care

of according to current sanitation rules, " Ochoa said. " What happened in La

Gloria was an unfortunate coincidence with a big and serious problem that is

happening now with this new flu virus. "

>

> Martinez said residents have been fighting for years to force the company to

improve their pig-waste management. Mexican news media reported that a municipal

health official traced the source of a disease outbreak in La Gloria to a type

of fly that reproduces in pig waste.

>

> Local health officials and Federal Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova

downplayed claims that the swine flu epidemic could have started in la Gloria,

noting that of 30 mucous samples taken from victims of respiratory diseases

there, only one †" that of 4-year-old Edgar Hernandez †" came back positive.

The boy later recovered.

>

>

>

> Cordova insisted the rest of the community had suffered from a common

influenza.

>

> Mexican Agriculture Department officials said Monday that its inspectors found

no sign of swine flu among pigs around the farm in Veracruz, and that no

infected pigs have been found yet anywhere in Mexico. But Ochoa, the farm

manager, said no one from the government has inspected his farm for swine flu.

>

>

>

> Juan Lubroth, an animal health expert at the U.N. Food and Agriculture

Organization in Rome, supported officials' assessment of the pig situation and

said there is no evidence of sick or dying swine in Mexico.

>

> Lubroth noted that Mexico has a surveillance system that previously eliminated

an unrelated disease from the country's commercial pig population, which he said

is a good indication that they also are conducting adequate reviews of pigs for

swine flu.

>

> Dr. Alejandro Escobar Mesa, deputy director for the control and prevention of

disease for the state of Veracruz, said the epidemic in La Gloria was a

combination of viral and bacterial illnesses, caused by an unusually dry

climate.

>

> " The dust dries up the mucous membranes and facilitates environmental

conditions for the transmission of illnesses, " Escobar said.

>

> But residents here say they are certain that Edgar Hernandez was not the only

swine flu victim in their town. Concepcion Llorente, a first-grade teacher in La

Gloria, says authorities still owe the town some answers.

>

> " They said that what we had here was an atypical flu, but if the boy tested

positive for swine flu, where did he get it from? " she said.

>

> ___

>

>

>

>

> 1a. Re: Digest Number 4556

> Posted by: " Anouk " zurumato zurumato

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:32 pm ((PDT))

>

> Hi Jo,

>

> I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government

has not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do NOT eat pork or pork

products "

>

> At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said this to everyone.

>

> Anouk

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> " "

>

> Digest Number 4556

>

>

> Topics in this digest:

>

> jo.heartwork

>

>

> Message

> ______________________

> Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork heartwerk

>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were

all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying to panic.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

>

> Messages in this topic (7)

> ______________________

> 1b. Re: Digest Number 4556

> Posted by: " fraggle " EBbrewpunx ebbrewpunx

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm ((PDT))

>

> body{font-family:

> Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:

> #ffffff;color: black;}

> well, not condoning eating of lil piggies, you can't get swine

> flu from eating pork. swine flu, including the media darling now

> making the rounds, is airborne,. tho i suppose, eating pork lung

> tartar couldn't be could for one, for a whole variety of reasons,

> and definately not good for sir piggie.

>

> now, working around pigs, if they have swine flu, that can

> spread it.. normally, humans aren't that suceptible to swine flu.

> but, flu's mutate. and eventually, one is gonna come around that

> is communicable more easily. like this one is apparently.

>

> the mexican press is pushing that this current starin started in

> some small town, which happens to be surrounded by factory

> farmlots filled with pigs owned by the US company Smithklein.

>

>

>

>

> Anouk

> Apr 27, 2009 2:31 PM

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi Jo, I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting

> that the US government has not come right out and said (as a

> precaution), " Do NOT eat pork or pork products " At least as

> far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

> spanish television I saw that the Mexican government has said

> this to everyone.

> Anouk

> " "

>

> Digest Number 4556

>

>

> Topics in this digest:

>

> jo.heartwork

>

>

> Message

> _______________\

> _______

> <jo.heartwork heartwerk

>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from

> the World Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet

> discovered whether the flus were all the same or what yet, so I

> think it is our press that is trying to panic.

>

> BB

> Jo

>

>

>

> So, men are scattered and smeared over the desert grass, And

> the generals have accomplished nothing. -Nefarious War

> Li Po (Circa 750)

>

>

>

> Messages in this topic (7)

> ______________________

> 1c. Lung cancer and pork too

> Posted by: " Marilyn " Bkspedit lillahthepagan

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:57 pm ((PDT))

>

> Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about lung

cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the

consumer so they won't say a word! If they can get a few pennies from the

farmers then not a word will be mentioned. The almighty dollar always speaks

the loudest around this nation. Disgustingly true. Oh and I'm sorry, they did

do a bit of something to cigarettes. There is some little label printed on each

pack about underage sale or something. Like that cures cancer.

>

> ~M

>

> , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Jo,

> >

> > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government

products "

> >

> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

> >

> > Anouk

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > " "

> >

> > Digest Number 4556

> >

> >

> >

> > jo.heartwork

> >

> >

> > Message

> > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@ heartwerk

> >

> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

Health Authority, and they said they hadn't yet discovered whether the flus were

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

>

> ______________________

> 1d. Re: Digest Number 4556

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm ((PDT))

>

> Hi Anouk

>

> I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

> Anouk

>

> Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM

Hi Jo,

>

> I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government

products "

>

> At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

>

> Anouk

>

>

>

>

> " "

>

> Digest Number 4556

>

>

> Topics in this digest:

>

> jo.heartwork

>

>

> Message

> ______________________

>

> I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> ______________________

> 1e. Re: Lung cancer and pork too

> Posted by: " heartwerk " jo.heartwork heartwerk

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:49 pm ((PDT))

>

> LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they are

not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.

>

> Jo

>

> , " Marilyn " <Bkspedit@> wrote:

> >

> > Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about

lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the

> >

> > ~M

> >

> > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi Jo,

> > >

> > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do NOT eat pork

or pork products "

> > >

> > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from

everyone.

> > >

> > > Anouk

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ________________________________

> > > " "

> > >

> > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

> > > Digest Number 4556

> > >

> > > There is 1 message in this issue.

> > >

> > > Topics in this digest:

> > >

> > > jo.heartwork

> > >

> > >

> > > Message

> > > ______________________

> > > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@ heartwerk

> > > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

> > >

> > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Jo

> > >

> >

>

> ______________________

> 1f. Re: Digest Number 4556

> Posted by: " frostedcrow " frostedcrow frostedcrow

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm ((PDT))

>

> Havent heard any recommendations in the UK. I think the media like to work up

a lather.

>

>

>

> , " jo.heartwork " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Anouk

> >

> > I did not know that. I haven't heard that recommendation in the UK either.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > -

> > Anouk

> >

> > Monday, April 27, 2009 10:31 PM

> > Re: Digest Number 4556

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hi Jo,

> >

> > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US government

products "

> >

> > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from watching

> >

> > Anouk

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > " "

> >

> > Digest Number 4556

> >

> >

> >

> > jo.heartwork

> >

> >

> > Message

> > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@ heartwerk

> >

> > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the World

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

>

> ______________________

> 1g. Re: Lung cancer and pork too

> Posted by: " Marilyn " Bkspedit lillahthepagan

> Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am ((PDT))

>

> Oh, and pork, well not that I go looking at the meat sections of the food

stores anymore but I haven't seen nor heard anything about any restrictions or

even advice on regulations on pork. Still too much money to be made on the

slaughter of swine. Gee, aren't we surprised?

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > LOL - they have in the UK - it's printed on all the packets, and now they

are not allowed to display the cigarettes for sale.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , " Marilyn " <Bkspedit@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Are you kidding? Why do you think they still haven't said anything about

lung cancer and cigarettes yet? CHA-CHING!! They're taxing the pants off the

> > >

> > > ~M

> > >

> > > , Anouk <zurumato@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hi Jo,

> > > >

> > > > I don't know about the UK, but I find it interesting that the US

government has not come right out and said (as a precaution), " Do NOT eat pork

or pork products "

> > > >

> > > > At least as far as I know, they have not said this. However, from

everyone.

> > > >

> > > > Anouk

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ________________________________

> > > > " "

> > > >

> > > > Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:55:25 AM

> > > > Digest Number 4556

> > > >

> > > > There is 1 message in this issue.

> > > >

> > > > Topics in this digest:

> > > >

> > > > 1a. Re: Flu

> > > > jo.heartwork

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Message

> > > > ______________________

> > > > 1a. Re: Flu

> > > > Posted by: " jo.heartwork " jo.heartwork@ heartwerk

> > > > Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am ((PDT))

> > > >

> > > > I know. I was listening to someone on the radio - someone from the

flus were all the same or what yet, so I think it is our press that is trying

to panic.

> > > >

> > > > BB

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> ______________________

> ______________________

> 2a. Simple Vegan Recipes

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 pm ((PDT))

>

> For quick basic recipes this site is good:

>

> http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/

>

> o

Messages in this topic (3)

> ______________________

> ______________________

> 3a. Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 pm ((PDT))

>

> I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi. Personally

I would add the garam marsala earlier so that it cooks in:

>

> Ingredients

> 1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)

> half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces

> 1 tbsp olive oil

> 1 onion, chopped

> 3 cloves garlic, chopped

> 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped

> 1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped

> 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds

> 1 tsp turmeric

> 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

> 1 tbsp tomato purée

> 500ml water

> 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)

>

> Method

> Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.

> Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.

> Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and

another 2 mins.

> Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and

> Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!

>

> ______________________

> 3b. Re: Aloo Gobi from Vegan Village

> Posted by: " frostedcrow " frostedcrow frostedcrow

> Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:55 pm ((PDT))

>

> I love Indian food too. Some of the takeaways do vegan dishes but you have to

check each time.

>

>

> , " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > I love Indian meals, and one of my favourite dishes is Aloo Gobi.

> >

> > Ingredients

> > 1 large potato, cut into bite size cubes (you need to use a floury potato)

> > half a cauliflower, broken into bite size pieces

> > 1 tbsp olive oil

> > 1 onion, chopped

> > 3 cloves garlic, chopped

> > 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped

> > 1 fresh chilli (to taste), de-seeded and finely chopped

> > 1 heaped tbsp flaked almonds

> > 1 tsp turmeric

> > 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

> > 1 tbsp tomato purée

> > 500ml water

> > 1 tsp garam masala (to taste)

> >

> > Method

> > Peel and chop the potatoes, wash the cauliflower.

> > Par-boil the potato and cauli for a couple of minutes, then drain.

> > Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and

another 2 mins.

> > Now add the potatoes, cauli, tomato purée and water. Stir well, cover and

> > Sprinkle the garam masala over and serve. Delicious!

> >

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

> ------

>