Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I am 60, 6 feet, 252 pounds, and I have very high blood pressure, high

cholesterol, high triglycerides, sleep apnea, but no diabetes....go figure! In

any event, I decided to go vegetarian last week and so far i have lost a few

pounds. My only problem with being a vegetarian is that I don't like a lot of

different vegetables, for example, cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, olives, etc. I

do want to go vegan and give up eggs which I would not miss that much anyway.

Milk and cream I can give up. But cheese? Now that is another story.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. BTW almost every time I go out

to eat I wind up with ordering Eggplant parm. I like it but it is coming out my

ears. I love hummus (Sabra brand) and have been eating that alot.

Thanks,

Gary

Guest guest

>>>> Milk and cream I can give up. But cheese? Now that is another story.

Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. BTW almost every time I

go out to eat I wind up with ordering Eggplant parm. I like it but it is

coming out my ears. I love hummus (Sabra brand) and have been eating

that alot. <<<<

Hey, Gary, I've been there, and I know what you're going through.

The bad news is that there isn't any good vegan substitute for many

cheeses. Vegan cheeses tend to be gummy and tasteless, in my opinion.

The good news is that it's you can change dishes so that cheese isn't a

focus. There are tasty vegan cheezy sauces that work well with pasta and

over potatoes. Check out the Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. You

can make a fine eggplant " parmesan " without dairy.

I'd suggest, too, that transitioning from vegetarian to vegan is a

process. If you're at the point where other dairy has been switched to

vegan, but only cheese remains, you're going in the right direction.

Good for you!

I hear you about weight and such. I'm on Weight Watchers right now. I

got back to the gym a few weeks ago. That's another process. Health is a

way of life, and I just plain had to face that. It's not a " diet. "

That's been a challenge!

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

HI Gary

Cheese seems to ebe the thing people miss the most when they become vegan. I think with your problems though you really must give it up.

I would suggest using a lot of root veggies, with some green veggies that you like. I would also use beans and lentils. Potato is fine if you don't put a lot of fat in/on them. That should help no end with the cholesterol etc. Once you are at a good weight I would add a variety of nuts to your diet. All the advice I've seen recommends walking every day for high blood pressure - from 1 mile to three miles. It doesn't have to be fast walking, but you should do the distance in one continuous walk, so that you are moving continually for at least half an hour. The other thing to do is take 250 mg of magnesium per day - it is very good for relaxing the blood vessels, and should help lower the bp.

Good luck

Jo

-

Gary

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 4:05 PM

New member here!

Hi all,I am 60, 6 feet, 252 pounds, and I have very high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, sleep apnea, but no diabetes....go figure! In any event, I decided to go vegetarian last week and so far i have lost a few pounds. My only problem with being a vegetarian is that I don't like a lot of different vegetables, for example, cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, olives, etc. I do want to go vegan and give up eggs which I would not miss that much anyway. Milk and cream I can give up. But cheese? Now that is another story. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. BTW almost every time I go out to eat I wind up with ordering Eggplant parm. I like it but it is coming out my ears. I love hummus (Sabra brand) and have been eating that alot.Thanks,Gary

Guest guest

I agree with your point about it being a way of life, rather than a diet. Incorporate it into having a lot of fun - you never know what tomorrow holds! I have a friend who had a brain haemorrhage last week, had a long complicated operation, and has been told she has to have treatment for a brain tumour. I have four other friends who lost relatives last week.

Have a healthy lifestyle, and enjoy life.

Jo

-

bantrymoon

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:38 PM

Re:New member here!

>>>> Milk and cream I can give up. But cheese? Now that is another story.Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. BTW almost every time I go out to eat I wind up with ordering Eggplant parm. I like it but it is coming out my ears. I love hummus (Sabra brand) and have been eating that alot. <<<<Hey, Gary, I've been there, and I know what you're going through.The bad news is that there isn't any good vegan substitute for many cheeses. Vegan cheeses tend to be gummy and tasteless, in my opinion.The good news is that it's you can change dishes so that cheese isn't a focus. There are tasty vegan cheezy sauces that work well with pasta and over potatoes. Check out the Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. You can make a fine eggplant "parmesan" without dairy.I'd suggest, too, that transitioning from vegetarian to vegan is a process. If you're at the point where other dairy has been switched to vegan, but only cheese remains, you're going in the right direction. Good for you!I hear you about weight and such. I'm on Weight Watchers right now. I got back to the gym a few weeks ago. That's another process. Health is a way of life, and I just plain had to face that. It's not a "diet." That's been a challenge!Cheers,Trish