IndiaDivine.org

Vegan pizza a success!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from

vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me,

is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me

disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.

But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking

about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good

marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their

vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.

I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni,

and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated

Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.

Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good.

Really good. Really.

What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste,

and the texture was just fine.

Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When

you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't

work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that

heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.

This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to

throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!

I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

I haven't seen that make over here unfortunately. I'm glad you found something

you like.

I always thought I wouldn't like a pizza without cheese, but have discovered

that the vegan funghi pizzas are delivious.

Jo

, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

>

> I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from

> vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me,

> is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me

> disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.

>

> But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking

> about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good

> marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their

> vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.

>

> I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni,

> and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated

> Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.

>

> Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good.

> Really good. Really.

>

> What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste,

> and the texture was just fine.

>

> Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When

> you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't

> work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that

> heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.

>

> This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to

> throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!

>

> I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!

>

> Cheers,

>

> Trish

>

Guest guest

Try Daiya cheese. It even stretches! :D

Also, I think Teese makes a slightly better moz than FYH.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition fromvegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me,

is all about cheese.  But my first forays into vegan cheeses left medisappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking

about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave goodmarks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got theirvegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.

I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni,

and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with gratedVegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good.Really good. Really.

What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste,and the texture was just fine.Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. Whenyou're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't

work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have thatheavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able tothrow dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!

I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>    /<*> Your email settings:   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:   /join   ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:

-digest    -fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

>>>> Try Daiya cheese. It even stretches! :D

Also, I think Teese makes a slightly better moz than FYH. <<<<

Thanks! I don't think either of these brands are available in Portland

at the moment, but I'll keep my eye out for them.

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

I order them online. I don't know where they're available otherwise.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

>>>> Try Daiya cheese. It even stretches! :DAlso, I think Teese makes a slightly better moz than FYH. <<<<Thanks! I don't think either of these brands are available in Portland

Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*>

/<*> Your email settings:   Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:

/join   ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:   -digest

-fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Glad to hear about that cheese because pizza, cheese enchiladas and quesadillas are some of my favorite foods. I wish also that I could find an actual good hotdog, I haven't had one for over 20 years and sometimes when everyone is eating them, I'd like to have one too.Patricia--- On Thu, 8/6/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Vegan pizza a success! Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 6:30 PMI'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan

cheeses. Pizza, to me, is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni, and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good. Really good. Really.What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste, and the texture was just fine.Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When

you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email

| Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

What is that?Patricia--- On Thu, 8/6/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 11:37 PMI haven't seen that make over here unfortunately. I'm glad you found something you like.I always thought I wouldn't like a pizza without cheese, but have discovered that the vegan funghi pizzas are delivious.Jo ,

bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:>> I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from > vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me, > is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me > disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.> > But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking > about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good > marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their > vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.> > I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni, > and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated > Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.> > Well, knock me over with a feather, because it

was really, really good. > Really good. Really.> > What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste, > and the texture was just fine.> > Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When > you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't > work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that > heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.> > This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to > throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!> > I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!> > Cheers,> > Trish>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

It is mushroom pizza, without cheese. Sometimes it has olives, peppers etc. on top, but some piza outlets have vegan bases, and will make up vegan pizzas.

Jo

-

Patricia

Saturday, August 08, 2009 9:34 AM

Re: Re: Vegan pizza a success!

What is that?Patricia--- On Thu, 8/6/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Thursday, August 6, 2009, 11:37 PM

I haven't seen that make over here unfortunately. I'm glad you found something you like.I always thought I wouldn't like a pizza without cheese, but have discovered that the vegan funghi pizzas are delivious.Jo , bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:>> I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from > vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me, > is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me > disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.> > But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking > about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good > marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their > vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.> > I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni, > and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated > Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.> > Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good. > Really good. Really.> > What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste, > and the texture was just fine.> > Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When > you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't > work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that > heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.> > This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to > throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!> > I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!> > Cheers,> > Trish>---To send an email to -

Guest guest

>>>> I wish also that I could find an actual good hotdog, I haven't had

one for over 20 years and sometimes when everyone is eating them, I'd

like to have one too. <<<<

I love vegan dogs and eat a lot of them. My personal favorite is Yves

Tofu Dog. They taste great either grilled or steamed. They're also low

in fat and calories.

I've tried many others and all the ones I've tried have been pretty

good. You might try trying out a few brands. Topped with some vegan

chili and some chopped onions, and the correct term is, I believe, nirvana.

Cheers,

Trish

Guest guest

Who do you order from?Patricia--- On Fri, 8/7/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:Blue Rose <bluerose156Re: Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:36 AM

>>>> Try Daiya cheese. It even stretches! :DAlso, I think Teese makes a slightly better moz than FYH. <<<<Thanks! I don't think either of these brands are available in Portland

/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:

/join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest

-fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I'm not real crazy about mushrooms.Patricia--- On Sat, 8/8/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 3:16 AM

It is mushroom pizza, without cheese. Sometimes it has olives, peppers etc. on top, but some piza outlets have vegan bases, and will make up vegan pizzas.

Jo

-

Patricia

Saturday, August 08, 2009 9:34 AM

Re: Re: Vegan pizza a success!

What is that?Patricia--- On Thu, 8/6/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> Re: Vegan pizza a success!@gro ups.comThursday, August 6, 2009, 11:37 PM

I haven't seen that make over here unfortunately. I'm glad you found something you like.I always thought I wouldn't like a pizza without cheese, but have discovered that the vegan funghi pizzas are delivious.Jo@gro ups.com, bantrymoon <bantrymoon@. ..> wrote:>> I'd pretty much given up on pizza. In making the transition from > vegetarian to vegan, I'd been unhappy with vegan cheeses. Pizza, to me, > is all about cheese. But my first forays into vegan cheeses left me > disappointed, and I thought I'd just have to give up on the idea.> > But the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times magazine got me thinking > about it again. They had a brief review of vegan cheeses, and gave good > marks to Vegan Gourmet. I decided to give it another try. I got their > vegan mozarella and decided to make little pizzas on pita bread.> > I spread whole wheat pitas with pizza sauce, layered on vegan pepperoni, > and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. Then I topped it with grated > Vegan Gourmet and broiled it until melted.> > Well, knock me over with a feather, because it was really, really good. > Really good. Really.> > What was I thinking? This cheese had a pleasant, slightly sour taste, > and the texture was just fine.> > Maybe it just took a few months without cheese to get over it. When > you're expecting one flavor and you get another, sometimes it doesn't > work out. I gotta say, though, that it's very nice not to have that > heavy, greasy aftertaste that dairy leaves in your mouth.> > This is terrific, because during the school year I need to be able to > throw dinner together pronto. Now I have this one back again. Yay!> > I'm trying the cheddar next. Nachos!!!> > Cheers,> > Trish>------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I've tried all the ones that are available and the flavor is OK, but the texture is awful.Patricia--- On Sat, 8/8/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 11:20 AM >>>> I wish also that I could find an actual good hotdog, I haven't had one for over 20 years and sometimes when everyone is eating them, I'd like to have one too. <<<<I love vegan dogs and eat a lot of them. My personal favorite is Yves Tofu Dog. They taste

great either grilled or steamed. They're also low in fat and calories.I've tried many others and all the ones I've tried have been pretty good. You might try trying out a few brands. Topped with some vegan chili and some chopped onions, and the correct term is, I believe, nirvana.Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

>>>> I've tried all the ones that are available and the flavor is OK,

but the texture is awful. <<<<

Sounds as if you need to look for something else, then. If the only idea

that has meaning for you is the meat hot dog, though, the gentle texture

of a soy product probably won't fill the bill. Many vegans don't care

for meat analogs, so in your case, you may have to give up hot dogs

entirely.

I've found that my tastes are changing, and that may happen to you as

well. When I first tried veganism, for instance, I disliked nondairy

cheeses intently. Now I find I'm beginning to like some of them. Pizza

without a cheezy topping just didn't do it for me, and being able to

adapt to vegan cheese is a dang good change for me.

I like the texture of soy dogs myself. In fact, I often snack on a " raw "

tofu dog for a quick bit of protein without a lot of calories. It tides

me over when I get home from work until I can get something on the

table. Lucky for me! On work days, I need things I can cook very

quickly. Almost nothing is as quick and easy as a vegan chili dog.

Cheers,

Trish

To me the texture is tough and dense. I may just not worry about it because like I said, it's been over 20 years since I had a hot dog so it's not like I can't do without them. I just thought it would be nice to be one of the crowd once in a while.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/9/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 3:53 PM >>>> I've tried all the ones that are available and the flavor is OK, but the texture is awful. <<<<Sounds as if

you need to look for something else, then. If the only idea that has meaning for you is the meat hot dog, though, the gentle texture of a soy product probably won't fill the bill. Many vegans don't care for meat analogs, so in your case, you may have to give up hot dogs entirely.I've found that my tastes are changing, and that may happen to you as well. When I first tried veganism, for instance, I disliked nondairy cheeses intently. Now I find I'm beginning to like some of them. Pizza without a cheezy topping just didn't do it for me, and being able to adapt to vegan cheese is a dang good change for me.I like the texture of soy dogs myself. In fact, I often snack on a "raw" tofu dog for a quick bit of protein without a lot of calories. It tides me over when I get home from work until I can get something on the table. Lucky for me! On work days, I need things I can cook very quickly. Almost

nothing is as quick and easy as a vegan chili dog.Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Veganessentials.com and veganstore.com.On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

Who do you order from?Patricia--- On Fri, 8/7/09, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Re: Re: Vegan pizza a success! Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 11:36 AM

/<*> Your email settings:   Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:

/join   ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:   -digest

-fullfeatured <*>