IndiaDivine.org

Hi-again

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was. I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.

As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets. I try to stay away from the subject myself. I had some questions, though:

#1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive? In or around Salt Lake City?

#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein. Can you think of any substitutes for that? What foods are high in lutein?

#3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?

I appreciate your help, muchly.

Cyn

Hi! my husband comes from West Jordan SLC and he is vegan as are his sister and

her boyfriend so there are definitely vegans in SLC. Sadly, me and my husband

live in the UK so we are no help for getting you in contact with Utah vegans

currently. As to good places to get vegan food or eat vegan. I remember we

went to a restaurant called Evergreen in SLC. We used to get vegan foods from a

health shop called Wild Oats - they were a chain of shops but I am not sure if

they still exist. (We were last there in 2005). If you google vegan groups in

Utah you will definitely find some. I found a vegan group based in SLC but I

cannot remember the URL at the moment. If I get a chance I will have a look for

you. As to the supplements, I will ask my husband what he took when he gets in

from work and get back to you.

Hope some of this helps.

Best Wishes

Elizabeth

, cgadarian wrote:

>

>

> Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I

attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was.? I d because I

was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.

>

> As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets.? I try to

stay away from the subject myself.? I had some questions, though:

>

> #1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too

expensive?? In or around Salt Lake City?

>

> #2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to

combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has,

since they contain lutein.? Can you think of any substitutes for that?? What

foods are high in lutein?

>

> #3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?

>

> I appreciate your help, muchly.

> Cyn

>

welcome back Cyn

there's actually is a fair amount of veg/vegan food in SLC. tho, it's sorta a scarey town.

check to see if the Oasis Cafe is still around. its been a few years since i've been, but they had ok food, tho they weren't 100% vegan. it was a popular place tho.

there were also a couple of wild oats stores in SLC as well.

there should be a number of vegan groups in utah. there used t obe an Earthsave group there, but again, that was YEARS ago. let me check around

fraggle

cgadarian Aug 10, 2009 2:48 AM Hi-again

Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was. I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets. I try to stay away from the subject myself. I had some questions, though:#1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive? In or around Salt Lake City?#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein. Can you think of any substitutes for that? What foods are high in lutein?#3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?I appreciate your help, muchly.Cyn

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

http://www.go-veggie.com/restaurants/

fraggle Aug 10, 2009 12:08 PM Re: Hi-again

welcome back Cyn

there's actually is a fair amount of veg/vegan food in SLC. tho, it's sorta a scarey town.

check to see if the Oasis Cafe is still around. its been a few years since i've been, but they had ok food, tho they weren't 100% vegan. it was a popular place tho.

there should be a number of vegan groups in utah. there used t obe an Earthsave group there, but again, that was YEARS ago. let me check around

fraggle

cgadarian (AT) aol (DOT) com Aug 10, 2009 2:48 AM Hi-again

Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was. I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets. I try to stay away from the subject myself. I had some questions, though:#1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive? In or around Salt Lake City?#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein. Can you think of any substitutes for that? What foods are high in lutein?#3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?I appreciate your help, muchly.Cyn

Hi Cyn

I would Google lutein to find the sources. As far as I know seeds, particularly pumpkin and linseeds contain the same things as fish oil. I also understand that berries and broccoli are two of the best foods to eat to stop you getting macular degeneration.

Jo

-

cgadarian

Monday, August 10, 2009 7:48 AM

Hi-again

Thanks,, fraggle. Hope we can find something. Cyn

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Mon, Aug 10, 2009 10:08 am

Re: Hi-again

welcome back Cyn

fraggle

cgadarian (AT) aol (DOT) com

Aug 10, 2009 2:48 AM

Hi-again

Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was. I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.

As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets. I try to stay away from the subject myself. I had some questions, though:

#1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive? In or around Salt Lake City?

#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein. Can you think of any substitutes for that? What foods are high in lutein?

#3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?

I appreciate your help, muchly.

Cyn

Thank for the help! Cyn

veganzee <charlottesometimes88

Mon, Aug 10, 2009 6:52 am

Re: Hi-again

Hi! my husband comes from West Jordan SLC and he is vegan as are his sister and her boyfriend so there are definitely vegans in SLC. Sadly, me and my husband live in the UK so we are no help for getting you in contact with Utah vegans currently. As to good places to get vegan food or eat vegan. I remember we went to a restaurant called Evergreen in SLC. We used to get vegan foods from a health shop called Wild Oats - they were a chain of shops but I am not sure if they still exist. (We were last there in 2005). If you google vegan groups in Utah you will definitely find some. I found a vegan group based in SLC but I cannot remember the URL at the moment. If I get a chance I will have a look for you. As to the supplements, I will ask my husband what he took when he gets in from work and get back to you.

Hope some of this helps.

Best Wishes

Elizabeth

, cgadarian wrote:

>

>

> Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was.? I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.

>

> As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets.? I try to stay away from the subject myself.? I had some questions, though:

>

> #1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive?? In or around Salt Lake City?

>

> #2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein.? Can you think of any substitutes for that?? What foods are high in lutein?

>

> #3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?

>

> I appreciate your help, muchly.

> Cyn

>

Blueberries.Patricia--- On Mon, 8/10/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Hi-again Date: Monday, August 10, 2009, 4:06 PM

Hi Cyn

I would Google lutein to find the sources. As far as I know seeds, particularly pumpkin and linseeds contain the same things as fish oil. I also understand that berries and broccoli are two of the best foods to eat to stop you getting macular degeneration.

Jo

-

cgadarian

Hi-again

Blueberries are definitely meant to be the best food to guard against macular degeneration.  Other berries - raspberries, strawberres, blackberries also have some effect.

Jo

2009/8/11 Patricia <moondreamer64_2000

Blueberries.Patricia--- On Mon, 8/10/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Hi-again

Monday, August 10, 2009, 4:06 PM

Hi Cyn

I would Google lutein to find the sources.  As far as I know seeds, particularly pumpkin and linseeds contain the same things as fish oil.  I also understand that berries and broccoli are two of the best foods to eat to stop you getting macular degeneration.

Jo

-

cgadarian

Hi-again

Hi-I am the lady from Maryland who was forever trying to get the hospital I attended to try and understand what a Vegan diet was.  I d because I was moving to Utah, and now here I am in Utah.As you can imagine, Utahns are not much for non-meat eating diets.  I try to stay away from the subject myself.  I had some questions, though:

#1 Does anyone know a good place in Utah to get Vegan foods that are not too expensive?  In or around Salt Lake City?#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration like my father has, since they contain lutein.  Can you think of any substitutes for that?  What foods are high in lutein?

#3: Any Vegan groups in Utah?I appreciate your help, muchly.Cyn

Leafy greens have incredible amounts of lutein! See

http://www.macular.org/nutrition/lutein.html

for a chart of the best sources, all fruits and vegetables.

And for omega-3s, ground flax seed -- you can add a

spoonful or so to anything you're eating.

Is Wild Oats one of the chains that was gobbled up by Whole

Foods? You can look in the yellow pages under Health Foods and Grocery

Stores.

-

cgadarian

#2 - My optometrist wanted me to take Omega-3 fish oil tablets or

eat fish to combat the possiblity of my getting macular degeneration

like my father has, since they contain lutein. Can you think of

any substitutes for that? What foods are high in lutein?

yeah, whole foods acquired wild oats back in '07, and has been changing over the brands and store names. i think most all of them are gone now. they were also supposed to close some of the wild oats as well, and spin off some of wild oats own acquisitions (like Henry's/Boneys market down in SoCal)

for a brief second there was a Wild Oats in Berkeley a number of years back, but it didn't last long. guess it couldn't compete with the whole foods already in berkeley, and the andronicos

yarrow Aug 11, 2009 3:54 AM Re: Hi-again

Leafy greens have incredible amounts of lutein! See http://www.macular.org/nutrition/lutein.html

And for omega-3s, ground flax seed -- you can add a spoonful or so to anything you're eating.

Is Wild Oats one of the chains that was gobbled up by Whole Foods? You can look in the yellow pages under Health Foods and Grocery Stores.

-

Here in So. Cal we now have Sprouts which is actually Henry's and is owned by one of Henry's children. We have Mother's Market and Restaurants which has been around for a long time and is expanding. I went to the one in Huntington Beach yesterday and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they sell there. It's almost floor to ceiling. I worked in a health food store for 9 years and have some idea about what it takes to keep one stocked and well run and I'm amazed at what they do at Mother's. I can't wait until we get one closer to where I live in No. Orange County.Patricia--- On Tue, 8/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle

<EBbrewpunxRe: Hi-again Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 7:46 AM

yeah, whole foods acquired wild oats back in '07, and has been changing over the brands and store names. i think most all of them are gone now. they were also supposed to close some of the wild oats as well, and spin off some of wild oats own acquisitions (like Henry's/Boneys market down in SoCal)

for a brief second there was a Wild Oats in Berkeley a number of years back, but it didn't last long. guess it couldn't compete with the whole foods already in berkeley, and the andronicos

Leafy greens have incredible amounts of lutein! See http://www.macular. org/nutrition/ lutein.html

And for omega-3s, ground flax seed -- you can add a spoonful or so to anything you're eating.

Is Wild Oats one of the chains that was gobbled up by Whole Foods? You can look in the yellow pages under Health Foods and Grocery Stores.

-

were do you reside in SoCal Patricia?

Patricia Aug 12, 2009 2:31 PM Re: Hi-again

Here in So. Cal we now have Sprouts which is actually Henry's and is owned by one of Henry's children. We have Mother's Market and Restaurants which has been around for a long time and is expanding. I went to the one in Huntington Beach yesterday and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they sell there. It's almost floor to ceiling. I worked in a health food store for 9 years and have some idea about what it takes to keep one stocked and well run and I'm amazed at what they do at Mother's. I can't wait until we get one closer to where I live in No. Orange County.Patricia--- On Tue, 8/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: Hi-again Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 7:46 AM

Leafy greens have incredible amounts of lutein! See http://www.macular. org/nutrition/ lutein.html

-

North OC.Patricia--- On Wed, 8/12/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Hi-again Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 4:30 PM

Here in So. Cal we now have Sprouts which is actually Henry's and is owned by one of Henry's children. We have Mother's Market and Restaurants which has been around for a long time and is expanding. I went to the one in Huntington Beach yesterday and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they sell there. It's almost floor to ceiling. I worked in a health food store for 9 years and have some idea about what it takes to keep one stocked and well run and I'm amazed at what they do at Mother's. I can't wait until we get one closer to where I live in No. Orange County.Patricia--- On Tue, 8/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comTuesday, August 11, 2009, 7:46 AM

yarrow Aug 11, 2009 3:54 AM @gro ups.com Re: Hi-again

-

ah, life behind the Orange Curtain

fraggle

(former HBer)

Patricia Aug 14, 2009 2:31 AM Re: Hi-again

North OC.Patricia--- On Wed, 8/12/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: Hi-again Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 4:30 PM

Here in So. Cal we now have Sprouts which is actually Henry's and is owned by one of Henry's children. We have Mother's Market and Restaurants which has been around for a long time and is expanding. I went to the one in Huntington Beach yesterday and was just amazed at the amount of stuff they sell there. It's almost floor to ceiling. I worked in a health food store for 9 years and have some idea about what it takes to keep one stocked and well run and I'm amazed at what they do at Mother's. I can't wait until we get one closer to where I live in No. Orange County.Patricia--- On Tue, 8/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comTuesday, August 11, 2009, 7:46 AM

-

So I just realized that veggie tempura is not vegan and this makes me really sad :( it's my guilty pleasure...that and soy ice cream has anyone tried carrot cake soy dream (i think that's who makes it) carrot cake is my absolute favorite cake flavor, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about it in a dairy free ice cream... thoughts?~Sarahfraggle <EBbrewpunxTo:

Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:24:39 AMRe: Hi-again

fraggle

(former HBer)

Patricia Aug 14, 2009 2:31 AM @gro ups.com Re: Hi-again

North OC.Patricia--- On Wed, 8/12/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comWednesday, August 12, 2009, 4:30 PM

Patricia Aug 12, 2009 2:31 PM @gro ups.com Re: Hi-again

-

Where do you live now?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Hi-again Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 8:24 AM

fraggle

(former HBer)

North OC.Patricia--- On Wed, 8/12/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comWednesday, August 12, 2009, 4:30 PM

-

Oakand, SF Bay area..............

Patricia Aug 16, 2009 8:51 PM Re: Hi-again

Where do you live now?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: Hi-again Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 8:24 AM

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

soy dream is good, tho never tried the carrot cake flavored one.

Cha Ya here (berkeley and SF) makes a really good veggie tempura, so it is possible!

cheers

fraggle

Sarah Tomecek Aug 15, 2009 2:32 PM Re: Hi-again

So I just realized that veggie tempura is not vegan and this makes me really sad :( it's my guilty pleasure...that and soy ice cream has anyone tried carrot cake soy dream (i think that's who makes it) carrot cake is my absolute favorite cake flavor, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about it in a dairy free ice cream... thoughts?

~Sarah

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:24:39 AMRe: Hi-again

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

Why isn't veggie tempura vegan?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek wrote:Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecekRe: Hi-again Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 11:32 AM

So I just realized that veggie tempura is not vegan and this makes me really sad :( it's my guilty pleasure...that and soy ice cream has anyone tried carrot cake soy dream (i think that's who makes it) carrot cake is my absolute favorite cake flavor, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about it in a dairy free ice cream... thoughts?~Sarahfraggle <EBbrewpunxTo:

Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:24:39 AMRe: Hi-again

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me." "Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Egg in the fried part :(Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:04:40 AMRe: Hi-again

Why isn't veggie tempura vegan?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek@ > wrote:Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek@ >Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009, 11:32 AM

So I just realized that veggie tempura is not vegan and this makes me really sad :( it's my guilty pleasure...that and soy ice cream has anyone tried carrot cake soy dream (i think that's who makes it) carrot cake is my absolute favorite cake flavor, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about it in a dairy free ice cream... thoughts?~Sarahfraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>To:

@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009 10:24:39 AMRe: Hi-again

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me." "Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

from Isa on postpunk kitchen

1 1/4 cups cold water (plus another 1/4 cup if needed)1/2 cup rice flour1/2 cup ap flour1 teaspoon baking powder1/4 cup cornstarch1/2 tablespoon saltMix everything together. Dip veggies. Fry. Eat.

Oh, and sometimes I like to dip it in panko after dipping it in the tempura and then frying.

Sarah Tomecek Aug 17, 2009 7:06 AM Re: Hi-again

Egg in the fried part :(

Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 > Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:04:40 AMRe: Hi-again

Why isn't veggie tempura vegan?Patricia---

I was there once.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/16/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Hi-again Date: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 6:10 PM

Where do you live now?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009, 8:24 AM

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

Oh, that's right, there's egg in the batter.Patricia--- On Mon, 8/17/09, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek wrote:Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecekRe: Hi-again Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 4:06 AM

Egg in the fried part :(Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:04:40 AMRe: Hi-again

Why isn't veggie tempura vegan?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek@ > wrote:Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek@ >Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009, 11:32 AM

So I just realized that veggie tempura is not vegan and this makes me really sad :( it's my guilty pleasure...that and soy ice cream has anyone tried carrot cake soy dream (i think that's who makes it) carrot cake is my absolute favorite cake flavor, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about it in a dairy free ice cream... thoughts?~Sarahfraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>To:

@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009 10:24:39 AMRe: Hi-again

fraggle

(former HBer)

-

been here twenty years now

Patricia Aug 18, 2009 3:36 AM Re: Hi-again

I was there once.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/16/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: Hi-again Date: Sunday, August 16, 2009, 6:10 PM

Where do you live now?Patricia--- On Sat, 8/15/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>Re: Hi-again@gro ups.comSaturday, August 15, 2009, 8:24 AM

fraggle

(former HBer)

-