IndiaDivine.org

school lunches

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

I have worked at an elementary school for the past 2 1/2 years in the lunch

room. The main reason I have the job is because it works out perfect with my

kids schedule. The people I work with are great, and we all get along good.

I am there only 2 hours a day, the job is easy and it gives me extra spending

money. And it helps with paying our heating fuel in the winter.

But the food they serve the kids is barely edible on most days. It truly is sad

what they feed the school kids all over the united states. They call it healthy

and the department is called Nutrition Services. I have been a vegetarian for

several years, but since I have decided to become vegan the last several months

I am more aware of food, especially food from animal and animal products.

It is awful how much food is wasted every day at the schools. Every day when

the lunch is over, tons of food is thrown out. We are not allowed to give it to

shelters, food banks, any place. It has to be thrown out. Plus the packaging of

the lunches are all plastic, I can't imagine how much plastic is in the

landfills just from elementary school lunches.

Well every once in awhile some folks do sneak the food home. I feel so bad for

all the animals that were suffering to make this human food, then it is just

thrown away! My husband is not vegan, not even vegetarian, but he puts up with

my cooking. But when he has a chance he buys meat at restaraunts and such.

Well today I brought some of the school lunches home because there was so much

leftover and I couldn't stand it all being thrown away. It was chicken nuggets

and some pork nuggets which I will give to my husband to take to work for lunch.

I was thinking I would rather serve him meat, than it go to waste.

The school year just started and I am thinking it is about time for me to look

for another job, I just don't like being part of this.

I just had to vent, thanks for listening!

christine

Welcome!

PCRM gave one of its " Golden Carrot Awards " for innovation in school

foodservice to my cousin's school district a few years ago, and she

said that if her district was one of the best, she worried about what

other districts were serving. But she said they did serve fresh

fruits and vegetables every day.

At 5:03 AM +0000 8/18/09, damselfly40 wrote:

Christine, I also worked in an elementary school cafeteria and I know what you mean. The custodian was the one I gave leftovers to because he had several children and I know his job was not a high paying one. When we handed out apples and pears, they would more often than not, go into the trash if someone wasn't there to stop it. Pizza and chicken nuggets were the most popular foods that we served. The veggies were the least popular especially the cole slaw. When we had spaghetti with meat sauce, the government made us smother it with grated government cheese to increase the protein; that cheese was so yucky.Patricia--- On Mon, 8/17/09, damselfly40 <damselfly wrote:damselfly40 <damselfly school lunches Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 10:03 PMHello,I have worked at an elementary school for the past 2 1/2 years in the lunch room. The main reason I have the job is because it works out perfect with my kids schedule. The people I work with are great, and we all get along good.I am there only 2 hours a day, the job is easy and it gives me extra spending money. And it helps with paying our heating fuel in the winter. But the food they serve the kids is barely edible on most days. It truly is sad what they feed the school kids all over the united states. They call it healthy and the department is called Nutrition Services. I have been a vegetarian for several years, but since I have decided to become vegan

the last several months I am more aware of food, especially food from animal and animal products.It is awful how much food is wasted every day at the schools. Every day when the lunch is over, tons of food is thrown out. We are not allowed to give it to shelters, food banks, any place. It has to be thrown out. Plus the packaging of the lunches are all plastic, I can't imagine how much plastic is in the landfills just from elementary school lunches.Well every once in awhile some folks do sneak the food home. I feel so bad for all the animals that were suffering to make this human food, then it is just thrown away! My husband is not vegan, not even vegetarian, but he puts up with my cooking. But when he has a chance he buys meat at restaraunts and such. Well today I brought some of the school lunches home because there was so much leftover and I couldn't stand it all being thrown away. It was chicken

nuggets and some pork nuggets which I will give to my husband to take to work for lunch. I was thinking I would rather serve him meat, than it go to waste.The school year just started and I am thinking it is about time for me to look for another job, I just don't like being part of this.I just had to vent, thanks for listening!christine---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go

to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>