IndiaDivine.org

Tofutti Sour Cream

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I

love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found

one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container

that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it

contains cellulose (which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono &

diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an

animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises

that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please

help.

I've found that not every product does, and I don't know why. I know that it's vegan and love it. I also like FYH's sour cream.On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM, boberace <boberace wrote:

I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it contains cellulose (which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono & diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please help.

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.comhttp://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

cellulose is what makes up the cell walls of all plants.

we can not digest cellulose, thats what ppl mean when they say "fiber" and roughage

it is generally added t ofood as a stabilizer

mono and diglycerides are fat derived. generally from animals. but, they can come from vegetable sources as well.

i would assume tofutti uses the later

cheers

fraggle

boberace Aug 23, 2009 2:16 AM Tofutti Sour Cream

I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it contains cellulose (which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono & diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please help.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Hi

Cellulose comes from plants, and glycerin can be from animals, but is usually derived from plants.

Tofutti produce only vegan items.

Jo

-

boberace

Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:16 AM

Tofutti Sour Cream

Cellulose is from plants, not animals and I think there is a vegetarian glycerin.Patricia--- On Sat, 8/22/09, boberace <boberace wrote:boberace <boberace Tofutti Sour Cream Date: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 11:16 PMI am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it contains cellulose

(which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono & diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please help.---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

At 6:16 AM +0000 8/23/09, boberace wrote:

>I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over

>a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan

>substitute. ....

>>

I used to make a potato topping by mixing soft tofu, lemon juice, and

onion powder in a blender, and sometimes dill weed. Probably added

some liquid as well. It was creamy and tangy, but didn't have the

greasy mouth feel of sour cream (which was a good thing, for me).

It's been years since I've made it, and I never measured, but if

you're inclined you can experiment with balsamic vinegar or lemon

juice.

Thank you for the information. Very helpful. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16Blue Rose <bluerose156 Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009

11:12:29 AMRe: Tofutti Sour Cream

I've found that not every product does, and I don't know why. I know that it's vegan and love it. I also like FYH's sour cream.On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM, boberace <boberace > wrote:

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. comhttp://timeladydesi gns.etsy. com

~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Thanks for the info. Your response was very helpful. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, August 23,

2009 11:28:40 AMRe: Tofutti Sour Cream

cellulose is what makes up the cell walls of all plants.

we can not digest cellulose, thats what ppl mean when they say "fiber" and roughage

it is generally added t ofood as a stabilizer

mono and diglycerides are fat derived. generally from animals. but, they can come from vegetable sources as well.

i would assume tofutti uses the later

cheers

fraggle

boberace Aug 23, 2009 2:16 AM @gro ups.com Tofutti Sour Cream

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Good to know. Thank you for sharing. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:35:51

AMRe: Tofutti Sour Cream

Hi

Cellulose comes from plants, and glycerin can be from animals, but is usually derived from plants.

Tofutti produce only vegan items.

Jo

-

boberace

@gro ups.com

Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:16 AM

Tofutti Sour Cream

Sounds like a good recipe. I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"...Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Luke 18:16"yarrow" <yarrow Sent:

Monday, August 24, 2009 3:35:07 AMRe: Tofutti Sour Cream

At 6:16 AM +0000 8/23/09, boberace wrote:

>I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over

>a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan

>substitute. ....

>>

I used to make a potato topping by mixing soft tofu, lemon juice, and

onion powder in a blender, and sometimes dill weed. Probably added

some liquid as well. It was creamy and tangy, but didn't have the

greasy mouth feel of sour cream (which was a good thing, for me).

It's been years since I've made it, and I never measured, but if

you're inclined you can experiment with balsamic vinegar or lemon

juice.

The last time I checked the ingredients of the Tofutti sour cream

it contained hydrogenated oil, which I found very disturbing.

I will confess that it's been about a year since I've last checked, but I stick

with Follow Your Heart (and it helps that their store/cafe is not terribly far

from where I live...when we go there for dinner we stock up!)

, " boberace " <boberace wrote:

>

> I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I

love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found

one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container

that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it

contains cellulose (which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono &

diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an

animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises

that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please

help.

>

That is the trouble with Tofutti products. Hopefully they will get rid of the hydrogenated fats soon. Other companies have.

Jo

-

csonsini1

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 3:52 PM

Re: Tofutti Sour Cream

The last time I checked the ingredients of the Tofutti sour creamit contained hydrogenated oil, which I found very disturbing.I will confess that it's been about a year since I've last checked, but I stick with Follow Your Heart (and it helps that their store/cafe is not terribly far from where I live...when we go there for dinner we stock up!) , "boberace" <boberace wrote:>> I am still learning about Veganism. Have been one for a little over a year. I love sour cream and have been looking for a vegan substitute. I though I found one, but not sure. Tofutti Sour Cream advertises on the front of the container that there are no animal derivatives, but reading the ingredients I see it contains cellulose (which I understand can be synthetically produced) and mono & diglycerides (which according to my list, comes from glycerin, which is an animal product). I also didn't see the Certified Vegan stamp. If it advertises that it contains no animal derivatives, shouldn't it be certified vegan? Please help.>

In my area (massachusetts) the health food stores offer a different version of

tofutti products that don't have the hydro oils. I don't understand why the

grocery stores offer these unhealthy versions. I tried the follow your heart

products an they seem to go bad very quickly. I love their cheeses but I find I

have to use them right away.

>

> That is the trouble with Tofutti products. Hopefully they will get rid of the

hydrogenated fats soon. Other companies have.

>

>

Yeah, but the cream cheese version without sucks and has more calories. I frankly like the other Tofutti kind better.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM, pixelpoint <pixelpest wrote:

In my area (massachusetts) the health food stores offer a different version of tofutti products that don't have the hydro oils. I don't understand why the grocery stores offer these unhealthy versions. I tried the follow your heart products an they seem to go bad very quickly. I love their cheeses but I find I have to use them right away.

>> That is the trouble with Tofutti products.  Hopefully they will get rid of the hydrogenated fats soon.  Other companies have.>>

---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*>    /

<*> Your email settings:   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:   /join   ( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:   -digest    -fullfeatured

<*>