IndiaDivine.org

Bye and Bye tavern

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye.

It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition

neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and

interesting.) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that

on the menu.

I had the BBQ plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with

collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some

slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a " meatball "

sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or

not, but he said it was delicious.

I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I

don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're

traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a

plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.

We had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave

us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for

beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only

finish half my plate. What a bargain!

There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the

opportunities were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do

love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the

evening and indulge.

Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we

felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a

couple of large vegan cookies.

I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!

Cheers,

Trish

sounds good

we went to Souley Vegan the other day here in oakland.

it had opened last year for a short time in downtown, but didn't last long

they just re-opened in jack london square

last time, i wasn't very thrilled with em. i thought their green swere way tooo bitter, and just wasn't impressed with their food

but, they are hugely popular at one of the local farmers markets, so now that they re-opened, we decided to try em again

not bad

i had the southern fried tofu, with greens, lentils and potato salad. rebecca had bbq tofu with...umm..black eyed peas..and something else i forget.

oh yeah, and we had a plate of home fries..which were just big french fries...

anyways...the southern fried tofu was really good, and, amazingly, better the next day cold!

wasn't thrilled with the lentils, too salty imo

rebecca luved her food

sorta pricey, $34 for both of us...not including tip..but, i think like the lemonade i had was $4-5..ouch

very good the next day tho

fraggle

bantrymoon Aug 23, 2009 1:43 PM Bye and Bye tavern

We ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye. It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and interesting.) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that on the menu.I had the BBQ plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a "meatball" sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or not, but he said it was delicious.I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.We had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only finish half my plate. What a bargain!There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the opportunities were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the evening and indulge.Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a couple of large vegan cookies.I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!Cheers,Trish

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Sounds good - it's a lot more expensive to eat out over here!

Jo

-

bantrymoon

Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:43 PM

Bye and Bye tavern

We ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye. It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and interesting.) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that on the menu.I had the BBQ plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a "meatball" sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or not, but he said it was delicious.I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.We had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only finish half my plate. What a bargain!There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the opportunities were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the evening and indulge.Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a couple of large vegan cookies.I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!Cheers,Trish

The more I hear about Portland, the more I'd like to live there.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/23/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Bye and Bye tavern Date: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 10:43 AMWe ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye. It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and interesting.) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that on the menu.I had the BBQ

plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a "meatball" sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or not, but he said it was delicious.I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.We had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only finish half my plate. What a bargain!There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the opportunities

were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the evening and indulge.Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a couple of large vegan cookies.I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

unfortunately for me, 90% of the times i've gone to portland, something left a bad taste in my mouth.......

Patricia Aug 23, 2009 4:13 PM Re: Bye and Bye tavern

The more I hear about Portland, the more I'd like to live there.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/23/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Bye and Bye tavern Date: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

We ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye. It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and interesting.) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that on the menu.I had the BBQ plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a "meatball" sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or not, but he said it was delicious.I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.We had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only finish half my plate. What a bargain!There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the opportunities were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the evening and indulge.Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a couple of large vegan cookies.I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -

Patricia--- On Mon, 8/24/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Bye and Bye tavern Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 6:49 PM

unfortunately for me, 90% of the times i've gone to portland, something left a bad taste in my mouth.......

Patricia Aug 23, 2009 4:13 PM Re: Bye and Bye tavern

The more I hear about Portland, the more I'd like to live there.Patricia--- On Sun, 8/23/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> wrote:

bantrymoon <bantrymoon (AT) comcast (DOT) net> Bye and Bye tavern@gro ups.comSunday, August 23, 2009, 10:43 AM

We ate at yet another vegan place in Portland called the Bye and Bye. It's a vintage 50s rock/rockabilly bar in a bohemian artsy transition neighborhood (meaning it's not gawdawfully upscale but still arty and interesting. ) All the food is vegan, though they don't actually say that on the menu.I had the BBQ plate, which had a *huge* amount of barbequed tofu, with collard greens and baked blackeyed peas on the side, along with some slices of toasted baguette. Very yummy! My husband had a "meatball" sandwich on a sub roll. I'm not sure if they make their own meatballs or not, but he said it was delicious.I'm originally from the South and grew up on collards and field peas. I don't get a chance to eat them at restaurants because they're traditionally made with pork. What a treat just to be able to order a plate and not have to worry. I inhaled the collard greens.We

had a late lunch/early dinner, and because we ate at 3 PM, they gave us the happy hour price for our dinners. With diet coke and lemonade for beverages, it came to $14 total. And I had so much food I could only finish half my plate. What a bargain!There's a full bar, so if you're in mind of a drink at that hour, the opportunities were open. I don't drink all that much anymore, but I do love a good brew now and again, so I'll probably go back later in the evening and indulge.Oh, and then, afterwards, as long as we were over there in Portland, we felt compelled to visit the SweetPea bakery afterwards and share a couple of large vegan cookies.I'm feeling the love around here lately. So many vegan places!Cheers,Trish------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Groups Links<*> http://groups. / group/vegan_ chat/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: http://groups. / group/vegan_ chat/join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeat ured@ .com<*>

>>>> The more I hear about Portland, the more I'd like to live there.

Patricia <<<<

It's a nice place, though I gotta be honest to the gal from southern

California -- it rains here a whole lot. You've really got to love rain,

gray skies, and low levels of sunlight.

I grew up in San Diego and spent many years in sunny Colorado, so I've

lived in both types of climates. Even though I love it in the northwest,

I get a bit blue in February. It can be hard to live here if you need

more sunlight.

Cheers,

Trish

Lack of sunshine would be a big problem; I want the sun to shine every day. I used to live in Lake Havasu City, AZ and I loved being able to wake up to sunshine every morning.Patricia--- On Thu, 8/27/09, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:bantrymoon <bantrymoon Re: Bye and Bye tavern Date: Thursday, August 27, 2009, 10:22 AM >>>> The more I hear about Portland, the more I'd like to live there.Patricia <<<<It's a nice place, though I gotta be honest to the gal from southern California -- it rains

here a whole lot. You've really got to love rain, gray skies, and low levels of sunlight.I grew up in San Diego and spent many years in sunny Colorado, so I've lived in both types of climates. Even though I love it in the northwest, I get a bit blue in February. It can be hard to live here if you need more sunlight.Cheers,Trish---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go

to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>