IndiaDivine.org

Hi :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi all, I just joined and thought I'd say hello.

I've been veggie for 18 years and I'm currently in the process of becoming vegan - hope you will not mind me hanging out here! I've tried to go vegan before but was too gung ho about it and didn't have the knowledge about good vegan nutrition to back me up. So I kinda did it all wrong and spent a ton of money on stuff I didn't actually need, instead of learning the basics first. I have no vegan friends and my husband is omni, so I had very little support and I unfortunately fell off the wagon each time because it all just seemed too hard - my longest period of veganism so far has been 6 months.

That was a few years back and I've decided to try again, but this time I'm taking it slower so that hopefully this time I won't get overhwelmed (or skint). Since lack of support is one of the main reasons I gave up last time, I'm also hoping that by joining a vegan forum I can find a few people to cheer me on and keep me on the straight and narrow!

This is week one of going back to veganism for me. I've given up things that are obviously made from milk, cheese, eggs, butter etc. and am trying to wean myself off milk in tea and coffee. I'm OK with black coffee but am struggling with the tea... I love tea, but hate it black, and soya milk just seems to curdle :(

Phase two of operation vegan is going to be reading labels to cut out trace amounts of dairy as well. Then on to the next phase until there are no animal products in my life at all.

I have learned the hard way that I can't cope with cold turkey - I need to build good habits first so I won't crash and burn - but I figured weaning myself off dairy gradually is better than not doing it at all. I'm also reading a lot and learning how to ensure I have correct nutrition without relying on fake meats and what not. I'm learning to make things with beans, lentils, some tofu, etc and a whole lotta vegetables!

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Welcome, Opalline. This is a good

group for information and support. I’m a new vegan myself.

Judy

On Behalf Of Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Opalline

hello and welcome Opalline!

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 3, 2009 8:01 AM Hi :)

I've been veggie for 18 years and I'm currently in the process of becoming vegan - hope you will not mind me hanging out here! I've tried to go vegan before but was too gung ho about it and didn't have the knowledge about good vegan nutrition to back me up. So I kinda did it all wrong and spent a ton of money on stuff I didn't actually need, instead of learning the basics first. I have no vegan friends and my husband is omni, so I had very little support and I unfortunately fell off the wagon each time because it all just seemed too hard - my longest period of veganism so far has been 6 months.

That was a few years back and I've decided to try again, but this time I'm taking it slower so that hopefully this time I won't get overhwelmed (or skint). Since lack of support is one of the main reasons I gave up last time, I'm also hoping that by joining a vegan forum I can find a few people to cheer me on and keep me on the straight and narrow!

This is week one of going back to veganism for me. I've given up things that are obviously made from milk, cheese, eggs, butter etc. and am trying to wean myself off milk in tea and coffee. I'm OK with black coffee but am struggling with the tea... I love tea, but hate it black, and soya milk just seems to curdle :(

Phase two of operation vegan is going to be reading labels to cut out trace amounts of dairy as well. Then on to the next phase until there are no animal products in my life at all.

I have learned the hard way that I can't cope with cold turkey - I need to build good habits first so I won't crash and burn - but I figured weaning myself off dairy gradually is better than not doing it at all. I'm also reading a lot and learning how to ensure I have correct nutrition without relying on fake meats and what not. I'm learning to make things with beans, lentils, some tofu, etc and a whole lotta vegetables!

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Hi! Its so good that you are trying again to be vegan. I am so happy to be

vegan but I did struggle at the start (a lot) and although my husband is (and

was) vegan then, he was not much support because he is very much a strong minded

vegan and so he could be a bit not understanding when I was craving things I

knew I could not eat or just generally moaning! Anyway, I very strongly believe

you can only become vegan if you do it the right way for you. When I was under

pressure from my husband to become vegan I felt quite resentful and rebellious

which is not helpful so I think you are totally doing the right thing by taking

it at your own pace.

I am not sure whereabouts in the world you are but if you are in the UK you can

use Alpro unsweetened soya milk in your tea and the way to get it to not curdle

is to put the milk in last when the tea has cooled somewhat. I always find if I

have tea out the milk always curdles because in tea/coffee shops those big hot

urns they use are just too hot for the soya milk but at home I never have this

problem. If you are in the US the unsweetened Silk soya milk works just as well

as Alpro. As to coffee. The only way I have found to make a white uncurdled

coffee is to use soya cream making the coffee the same as the tea ie putting the

soya cream in when the coffee has cooled a little. If you put sugar in you can

also get the cream to float like an Irish coffee which is nice for a treat :)

If you need any help at all just contact me.

Very best wishes

Zee

, " Underwood-Fowler Cindy " <CDUFOWLER

wrote:

>

> Hi all, I just joined and thought I'd say hello.

>

> I've been veggie for 18 years and I'm currently in the process of

> becoming vegan - hope you will not mind me hanging out here! I've tried

> to go vegan before but was too gung ho about it and didn't have the

> knowledge about good vegan nutrition to back me up. So I kinda did it

> all wrong and spent a ton of money on stuff I didn't actually need,

> instead of learning the basics first. I have no vegan friends and my

> husband is omni, so I had very little support and I unfortunately fell

> off the wagon each time because it all just seemed too hard - my longest

> period of veganism so far has been 6 months.

> That was a few years back and I've decided to try again, but this time

> I'm taking it slower so that hopefully this time I won't get overhwelmed

> (or skint). Since lack of support is one of the main reasons I gave up

> last time, I'm also hoping that by joining a vegan forum I can find a

> few people to cheer me on and keep me on the straight and narrow!

>

> This is week one of going back to veganism for me. I've given up things

> that are obviously made from milk, cheese, eggs, butter etc. and am

> trying to wean myself off milk in tea and coffee. I'm OK with black

> coffee but am struggling with the tea... I love tea, but hate it black,

> and soya milk just seems to curdle :(

>

> Phase two of operation vegan is going to be reading labels to cut out

> trace amounts of dairy as well. Then on to the next phase until there

> are no animal products in my life at all.

>

> I have learned the hard way that I can't cope with cold turkey - I need

> to build good habits first so I won't crash and burn - but I figured

> weaning myself off dairy gradually is better than not doing it at all.

> I'm also reading a lot and learning how to ensure I have correct

> nutrition without relying on fake meats and what not. I'm learning to

> make things with beans, lentils, some tofu, etc and a whole lotta

> vegetables!

>

> Opalline

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

Hi Judy,

Thank you for the welcome. It's nice to meet someone else who's new at this!

Opalline

On Behalf Of Judy Goldsmith03 September 2009 21:59 Subject: RE: Hi :)

Welcome, Opalline. This is a good group for information and support. I’m a new vegan myself.

Judy

Hello! Thank you :)

Opalline

On Behalf Of fraggle03 September 2009 22:06 Subject: Re: Hi :)

hello and welcome Opalline!

>>>> I've been veggie for 18 years and I'm currently in the process of

becoming vegan - hope you will not mind me hanging out here! <<<<

Hi, Opalline, nice to meet you. I've been through the same transition,

so I know where you're coming from. This is a very supportive group, and

it's fine to talk about struggles with animal products.

>>>> This is week one of going back to veganism for me. I've given up

things that are obviously made from milk, cheese, eggs, butter etc. and

am trying to wean myself off milk in tea and coffee. <<<<

I've sure been there. Butter and milk are easy, because cereal with

soymilk or almond milk tastes just fine, and vegan margarines are tasty.

Vegan baking cookbooks give great ideas for getting around eggs in baked

goods, and scrambled tofu is a great substitute for eggs if you like to

eat them that way.

Cheese is more of a struggle, since in my opinion vegan cheeses aren't

so hot. The big exceptions are Vegan Gourmet mozarella and Tofutti

mozarella slices. Both taste good and melt well, so pizza does not have

to mutate significantly or disappear from your universe.

As for creamers for coffee and tea, I use Silk products. I do not like

this company for their questionable farming practices and their

association with the dairy industry, but there just isn't any good

alternative. So, I don't buy any of their other products. But the

creamers are great. There are three varieties, plain, hazelnut and

vanilla. I use plain in my tea and the others in my coffee. They don't

curdle and they have a rich, full taste and color.

>>>> I have learned the hard way that I can't cope with cold turkey - I

need to build good habits first so I won't crash and burn - but I

figured weaning myself off dairy gradually is better than not doing it

at all. <<<<

I found this as well. The same reasoning worked for me -- one step at a

time. You're off to a good start. I'm glad you joined us, and I'm

looking forward to sharing your ideas.

Cheers,

Trish

HI Cindy

Welcome to the group. I hope you like it here.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:01 PM

Hi :)

Opalline

I know what it's like not being able to moan about cravings, though for me it's the opposite way round... if I complain that I really want a cheese sandwich, DH will just say well why don't you have one then! He thinks I'm insane becoming vegan -but then he's used to me doing things he considers weird or quirky so he'll get used to it!

I took your advice for how to use soya milk in my tea this morning and OMG it works! I tried Morrisons sweetened first (I'm in the UK) and that didn't curdle, but it did taste kinda weird. So I just tried some Tesco unsweetened (the super cheap, Value kind) and it not only worked but I couldn't really tell the difference between that and cow's milk sweetened tea! I didn't have time to wait for it to cool first so I added a splash of cold water before adding the soya milk and it was perfect.

I'm feeling a lot better about this now. I drink a lot of tea and the thought of having to give it up (because I hate black tea) was starting to become an issue for me. Hurrah!

I'm going to have to look for some soya cream so I can try it in coffee now!

Thanks again,

Opalline

Hi! Its so good that you are trying again to be vegan. ....(snip) The only way I have found to make a white uncurdled coffee is to use soya cream making the coffee the same as the tea ie putting the soya cream in when the coffee has cooled a little. If you put sugar in you can also get the cream to float like an Irish coffee which is nice for a treat :)If you need any help at all just contact me. Very best wishesZee

I absolutely agree about the rice milk! I tried it the other day for the first time and I really like it. It's too nice to put in tea! Though I also tried the vanilla version and that wasn't so good, the flavouring seemed to have formed lumps that floated at the top, they wouldn't go away when I shook it and it didn't taste quite as nice.

That chart looks AMAZING! I need one of those in my life. I'm always wondering which nutrients come from which veggies and this one shows it in such a fun way.

Thanks!

Opalline

On Behalf Of llu95cer04 September 2009 13:26 Subject: Re: Hi :)

Hi - I too am a relatively new vegan with an omni household. Hope you find lots of useful info here.#Nutrition wise Liz cooks chart is very useful http://www.thevegancook.co.uk/nutrition-chart.php?PHPSESSID=kopsi8nmhq49ggtjkhu4l99c52And rice milk is much nicer than soya!

Cheese certainly is a struggle. I actually don't like melted or cooked cheese (apart from mozzarella, on a pizza) so that part isn't so bad, but my issue is things like cheese sandwiches. I used to pretty much live on cheese sandwiches, or chunks of cheese instead of meat in my dinner (ususally because I couldn't afford to buy many fake meats like quorn, and didn't have the time or energy to cook something more inventive), and when I wanted a snack I'd just have a slice of cheese since it was quick and easy. I think I'll get there, though... I know that last time I did stop craving cheese quite so badly after a while, I just can't remember how long it actually took.

Thanks for the welcome, too... I think I did the right thing coming here!

Opalline

Cheese is more of a struggle, since in my opinion vegan cheeses aren't so hot. The big exceptions are Vegan Gourmet mozarella and Tofutti mozarella slices. Both taste good and melt well, so pizza does not have to mutate significantly or disappear from your universe. .... (snip) I found this as well. The same reasoning worked for me -- one step at a time. You're off to a good start. I'm glad you joined us, and I'm looking forward to sharing your ideas.Cheers,Trish

Thanks Jo,

I already do!

Opalline

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork06 September 2009 18:00 Subject: Re: Hi :)

HI Cindy

Jo

Hi Opalline

I'm glad the tea is okay now. We hadn't had problems with ours, but then it struck me - we always drink Rooibosch tea, and I think it has less tannin, so probably wouldn't curdle the soy milk.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Monday, September 07, 2009 1:25 PM

RE: Re: Hi :)

I know what it's like not being able to moan about cravings, though for me it's the opposite way round... if I complain that I really want a cheese sandwich, DH will just say well why don't you have one then! He thinks I'm insane becoming vegan -but then he's used to me doing things he considers weird or quirky so he'll get used to it!

I took your advice for how to use soya milk in my tea this morning and OMG it works! I tried Morrisons sweetened first (I'm in the UK) and that didn't curdle, but it did taste kinda weird. So I just tried some Tesco unsweetened (the super cheap, Value kind) and it not only worked but I couldn't really tell the difference between that and cow's milk sweetened tea! I didn't have time to wait for it to cool first so I added a splash of cold water before adding the soya milk and it was perfect.

I'm feeling a lot better about this now. I drink a lot of tea and the thought of having to give it up (because I hate black tea) was starting to become an issue for me. Hurrah!

Thanks again,

Opalline

Hi! Its so good that you are trying again to be vegan. ....(snip) The only way I have found to make a white uncurdled coffee is to use soya cream making the coffee the same as the tea ie putting the soya cream in when the coffee has cooled a little. If you put sugar in you can also get the cream to float like an Irish coffee which is nice for a treat :)If you need any help at all just contact me. Very best wishesZee

That's brilliant :-) I'm sorry I called you Cindy - I didn't notice your signature name.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Monday, September 07, 2009 3:03 PM

RE: Hi :)

Thanks Jo,

I already do!

Opalline

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork06 September 2009 18:00 Subject: Re: Hi :)

HI Cindy

Jo

Hello Opalline!

I used to drink a lot of tea prior to becoming a vegan but, like you, couldn't stand drinking it black. Somebody recommended redbush tea and I've never looked back! It's lovely black and still has that same refreshing quality that you get from a cup of tea. Also, it's caffeine-free and low in tannin, so is healthier, too. It's quite easy to find in most major supermarkets.

I have been vegan for 10 years now and it wasn't easy to begin with, especially as I didn't know any other vegans at the time, but it does get easier as you find out more and begin to experiment with new foods. I used to eat a lot of cheese dishes, but now concentrate on chillis, stir-fries, casseroles, curries and pasta dishes that would normally be dairy-free anyway. This way, I found it easier to give up the dreaded dairy.

Good luck!

Kathleen

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Sent: Monday, 7 September, 2009 13:25:03RE: Re: Hi :)

Thanks again,

Opalline

Hi Kathleen,

Great idea... I like the idea of just trying to cook things that would be dairy-free anyway... I guess it's out of sight, out of mind? I know it's helped me since I stopped having sandwiches for lunch, as that just reminded me of when I had cheese sandwiches and straight away, I would fancy cheese. This week I've been having rice cakes for lunch instead, and since it's not bread or sandwiches, it's been easier to not think about cheese. Psychology, eh!

I've tried redbush tea and while it's pleasant, I can't get used to it I'm afraid. I drink it sometimes but I can't see it replacing tea... luckily I've just discovered that I can have regular tea with soya milk as long as I use the right kind (cheapo, unsweetened) and put it in when the water's not too hot. Phew! Oh and for the record, I read the side of the carton today and it said to avoid curdling, put the milk in the cup first before the hot water. I just tried that with a coffee (I also put in the coffee and sugar first and poured the water in gradually rather than all at once) and it worked fine! No curdling! At work we don't have a kettle, we have a thing on the wall that you press a button on to get the hot water out, and it seems to be a little cooler than water straight from a kettle. So that probably helps, too.

Opalline

On Behalf Of Kathleen Lloyd07 September 2009 20:37 Subject: Re: Re: Hi :)

Hello Opalline!

I used to drink a lot of tea prior to becoming a vegan but, like you, couldn't stand drinking it black. Somebody recommended redbush tea and I've never looked back! It's lovely black and still has that same refreshing quality that you get from a cup of tea. Also, it's caffeine-free and low in tannin, so is healthier, too. It's quite easy to find in most major supermarkets.

I have been vegan for 10 years now and it wasn't easy to begin with, especially as I didn't know any other vegans at the time, but it does get easier as you find out more and begin to experiment with new foods. I used to eat a lot of cheese dishes, but now concentrate on chillis, stir-fries, casseroles, curries and pasta dishes that would normally be dairy-free anyway. This way, I found it easier to give up the dreaded dairy.

Good luck!

Kathleen

No worries. I like to use aliases when online just because it's safer, but obviously in groups like this my email address is automatically shown. I don't mind if someone accidentally uses the wrong name sometimes ;-)

Opalline :)

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork07 September 2009 18:56 Subject: Re: Hi :)

That's brilliant :-) I'm sorry I called you Cindy - I didn't notice your signature name.

Jo