IndiaDivine.org

Hi, new member saying Morning!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

depends on the breed.

modern chickens are bred for two different things nowadays. either egg laying, or meat production. other older breeds can be dual, but all modern breeds focus on one facet. talk about turning a living being into a machine/product.

in general, modern breeds designed as egg layers start laying about 4 months of age and plop out an egg a day. from ayear of age to a year and half, her production may slowly drop. a year into her egg laying life, her production has generally dropped enough that the company do one of two things.

1. the cost effective modern thing is to take poor miss clucky and sell her off as soup or animal feed.

2. if the cost of chicks is too high or the "farmer" wishes to keep the hens for a little longer, then they'll force molt the birds. they'll turn off all the lights and not give em food for a few days. then they'll turn the lights back on and make the "days" longer and longer. the chickens will shed their feathers and as they grow them back, start laying again.

another thing that is bred out of modern birds is broodiness. they don't want the creature to have any feelings for the eggs, as she may stop laying or look for her eggs or whatever ,in an attempt to sit on them, "brood them". modern birds have had this removed from their instincts. if you took a modern birds, like cross links or sex links, and placed her in your back yard, she'd lay eggs all over the place and never sit on them, because the poor girl has had this mothering instinct removed. nasty.

Patricia Sep 8, 2009 4:43 PM RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

I don't know a lot about chickens; they really were bred to lay an egg a day? how often would they lay one in their natural state?Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning! Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 8:12 AM

especially since we bred them like that..to have a period everyday.

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 8, 2009 7:39 AM RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

I never thoght of it like that! Imagine having a period every day! Poor chickens!

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of heartwerk08 September 2009 07:35@gro ups.com Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

Hi BexI have a Hare Krishna friend who says they don't eat eggs because they are the chickens menses - which I guess is true. Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Hi Fraggle

You must be right about the broodiness being bred out of chickens. From my

conversations at work with people who keep hens, they never sit on their eggs.

We have wild pheasants who more or less live in our garden, and when they lay

eggs they sit on them quite normally.

Jo

We just have to take it one step at a time.Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, pinkerbex <pinkerbex wrote:pinkerbex <pinkerbex Re: Hi, new member saying Morning! Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 12:04 PMIf anyone can find a decent hard cheese substitute I'd be very interested - Patricia, you just named every kind of food I like!I'm sure what I'm doing is a good thing, oh but sometimes, runny brie, melted cheddar, I know, I know, it's terrible stuff and all the animal issues, hopefully one day it will

really turn me off, but right now......!!Bex---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I had mourning doves in my lemon tree in AZ and I know they had at least 2 batches of babies during the summer because I used to go out and check on them and when the babies left the nest, I saw the parents on the telephone line and the male kept inching his way closer to the female and then he jumped her. Pretty soon she was back in the nest with more eggs. I enjoyed going out to the nest and I would make the same sounds each time I went there so they would be used to me. They never got scared and flew away. The mother would sit on the nest in the day time and the father would sit on the corner of the roof and keep an eye on his little woman and then at night the male sat on the nest and I guess the female was on the roof, I'm not sure.Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning! Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 2:36 PM

just for the record

jungle fowl (the forebearers of chickens) breed once a year (i believe its only once), and they are polygamous harems. one male has several females in his territory, tho the hens do not generally share in sitting on eggs.

there are 4 remaining species of jungle fowl in the wild..red, green, grey, and the other one i've forgotten..........

tho i am not condoning zoos, there are jungle fowl running wild over the San Diego Zoo.

"pinkerbex" Sep 8, 2009 4:50 PM Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

Not really sure, all I know is I have some Old English Game birds which are quite an old breed (although even they have been tampered with as they were bred for meat) and various other "pure breeds" and they lay several times a week, but they regularly have days off and as I said they stop in Octoer and don't start again until April each - much more how nature intended. And obviously in the natural state they'd live with a cockerel and once they had laid a clutch of eggs at one a day or so until they'd got between 6 and 8ish, they'd sit on them for 21 days, hatch and then not leave the chicks for weeks, then taking another few weeks after that to come back into lay. So to be laying and laying and laying is not natural behaviour, it's just been bred into them so they simply can't stop. One of my ex-batts laid an egg in the box on her way from the farm to my house!Bex> > > > > > > >

> > > #yiv854110659 {font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font- size:9pt; background- color:#ffffff; color:black; }> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > especially since we bred them like that..to have a period everyday.> > > > > Underwood-Fowler Cindy > Sep 8, 2009 7:39 AM > @gro ups.com > RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning! > > > > > > > I never thoght of it like that! Imagine having a period every day! Poor chickens!> Opalline> > > > @gro

ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of heartwerk> 08 September 2009 07:35> @gro ups.com> Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!> > > > > Hi Bex> > I have a Hare Krishna friend who says they don't eat eggs because they are the chickens menses - which I guess is true. > > Jo > . > > > "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."> > "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is> subject to monitoring and auditing."> > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me.">

And of course the poor little male chicks are ground up because they are of no use.Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning! Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 2:54 PM

depends on the breed.

modern chickens are bred for two different things nowadays. either egg laying, or meat production. other older breeds can be dual, but all modern breeds focus on one facet. talk about turning a living being into a machine/product.

in general, modern breeds designed as egg layers start laying about 4 months of age and plop out an egg a day. from ayear of age to a year and half, her production may slowly drop. a year into her egg laying life, her production has generally dropped enough that the company do one of two things.

1. the cost effective modern thing is to take poor miss clucky and sell her off as soup or animal feed.

2. if the cost of chicks is too high or the "farmer" wishes to keep the hens for a little longer, then they'll force molt the birds. they'll turn off all the lights and not give em food for a few days. then they'll turn the lights back on and make the "days" longer and longer. the chickens will shed their feathers and as they grow them back, start laying again.

another thing that is bred out of modern birds is broodiness. they don't want the creature to have any feelings for the eggs, as she may stop laying or look for her eggs or whatever ,in an attempt to sit on them, "brood them". modern birds have had this removed from their instincts. if you took a modern birds, like cross links or sex links, and placed her in your back yard, she'd lay eggs all over the place and never sit on them, because the poor girl has had this mothering instinct removed. nasty.

Patricia Sep 8, 2009 4:43 PM RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

I don't know a lot about chickens; they really were bred to lay an egg a day? how often would they lay one in their natural state?Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!@gro ups.comTuesday, September 8, 2009, 8:12 AM

especially since we bred them like that..to have a period everyday.

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 8, 2009 7:39 AM @gro ups.com RE: Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

I never thoght of it like that! Imagine having a period every day! Poor chickens!

Opalline

@gro ups.com [vegan_ chat@ .com] On Behalf Of heartwerk08 September 2009 07:35@gro ups.com Re: Hi, new member saying Morning!

Hi BexI have a Hare Krishna friend who says they don't eat eggs because they are the chickens menses - which I guess is true. Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."