IndiaDivine.org

Potatoes in a barrel

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about

5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich.

I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give up.

Jo

I've never tried growing potatoes, but I've read about how to do it and may try to do it sometime.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/7/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Potatoes in a barrel Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 11:36 PMWell - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about 5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich. I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give

up.Jo---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

in the past i've gotten good results from tire potatoes.

place tire on the ground, place a few potatoes/eyes within, fill and cover with straw.

place another tire on top of that one. place potatoes/eyes on top of bottom ones straw. fill with straw.

repeat

heartwerk Sep 8, 2009 2:36 AM Potatoes in a barrel

Well - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about 5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich. I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give up.Jo

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

as for the barrel method...was the soil suffuciently moist all season?

i would assume a barrel, like moist container gardening, tends to dry out real fast

Patricia Sep 8, 2009 4:08 AM Re: Potatoes in a barrel

I've never tried growing potatoes, but I've read about how to do it and may try to do it sometime.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/7/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Potatoes in a barrel Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 11:36 PM

Well - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about 5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich. I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give up.Jo---To send an email to -

Really just straw? No soil at all?

Opalline

On Behalf Of fraggle08 September 2009 16:00 Subject: Re: Potatoes in a barrel

in the past i've gotten good results from tire potatoes.

place tire on the ground, place a few potatoes/eyes within, fill and cover with straw.

place another tire on top of that one. place potatoes/eyes on top of bottom ones straw. fill with straw.

repeat

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

I know people who have had success - so I hope yours go well.

Jo

-

Patricia

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:08 AM

Re: Potatoes in a barrel

I've never tried growing potatoes, but I've read about how to do it and may try to do it sometime.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/7/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Potatoes in a barrel Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 11:36 PM

Well - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about 5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich. I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give up.Jo---To send an email to -

Yep - we kept it well watered. The potatoes that were there were large, well grown and tasty.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 4:03 PM

as for the barrel method...was the soil suffuciently moist all season?

i would assume a barrel, like moist container gardening, tends to dry out real fast

Patricia Sep 8, 2009 4:08 AM Re: Potatoes in a barrel

That could be the problem; many people in my gardening group have complained about their gardens this year. I had good luck with peaches and tomatoes, that's all I grew. Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, pinkerbex <pinkerbex wrote:pinkerbex <pinkerbex Re: Potatoes in a barrel Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 1:24 AMI grew mine in old tyres this year and it was a rubbish crop too and the ones I had in the ground were a bit pathetic too. Maybe it's not a good year for

them?Bex---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I may give it a try next year.Patricia--- On Tue, 9/8/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Potatoes in a barrel Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 10:13 AM

I know people who have had success - so I hope yours go well.

Jo

-

Patricia

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 9:08 AM

I've never tried growing potatoes, but I've read about how to do it and may try to do it sometime.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/7/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> Potatoes in a barrel@gro ups.comMonday, September 7, 2009, 11:36 PM

Well - I'm very disappointed with my crop of potatoes from the barrel - about 5lb weight!!! I must have done something wrong - maybe the earth was too rich. I'll try again next year, but if that doesn't work I'll give up.Jo------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe