IndiaDivine.org

Apples

Rate this topic

Guest guest

APPLES: Apples have an abundance of vitamins A and C. Apples are high in pectin which turns to a gel in the intestine, helping to remove toxins and stimulating bowel activity. Potassium and phosphorous help flush the kidneys and calm the stomach. Apples have a natural sugar that develops acids which encourage saliva-flow and digestion. Apple juice is a powerful cleanser and a general tonic for the entire system. The juice is strong tasting and may be diluted with water or mixed with other fruit or vegetable juices such as carrots, cucumbers or melons. There are more than 400 different types of apples. The most popular are Delicious (which is easy to digest), Golden Delicious, Macintosh, Pippin, Granny Smith and Rome Beauties. All of these types are wonderful for making juice. Apples should be crisp and firm. Soft, mushy apples do not juice well. To keep apple juice from turning brown, juice a lemon before juicing the apples. Do not peel apples before juicing, as about 85% of all the vitamins in an apple are in the skin. Always remove the seeds before juicing apples, as they contain cyanide. Store apples loosely in the refrigerator, which will increase their shelf life six-fold.

I enjoy apples too - and when feeling 'naughty' an apple crumble is delightful

:-)

At the RHS Gardens in Wisley there is a festival for a few days in October where

you can have a taster of many different kinds of apples, chutnies etc. If you

go round all the stalls you don't need lunch because you can fill up on the

freebies.

Jo

, " Judy Goldsmith " <judyjtg wrote:

>

> Oh, how I love my apples. My favorites are Fuji, Braeburn, and Cameo. My

> Chihuahua loves apple bits, so I always have to share with her! LOL

>

>

>

> Judy

>

It's Gala all the way in our house!

DH loves granny smiths too. Aw bless your little dog she sounds sweet :)

Opalline

On Behalf Of Judy Goldsmith10 September 2009 18:01 Subject: RE: Apples

Oh, how I love my apples. My favorites are Fuji, Braeburn, and Cameo. My Chihuahua loves apple bits, so I always have to share with her! LOL

Judy

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

I only like Granny Smiths and Pippins; I like tart and crisp.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: Apples Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:52 AM

Opalline

Oh, how I love my apples. My favorites are Fuji , Braeburn, and Cameo. My Chihuahua loves apple bits, so I always have to share with her! LOL Judy

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

the road of aplle flavors with me has been long and complicated

or maybe not so complicated...

i think i just get bored easy

originally, many moons ago, the wee fraggle loved macintosh. juicy tart and sweet macintosh. not the ones you buy in the store, but straight from the orchard. since i spent my summers in SoCal, and the rest of the year (mostly) in Connecticut, i'd come back to the nutmeg state just as the harvest was getting in full swing. of course, that was also way back when i actually liked fall and winter...my my, how times change.

when i moved to SoCal, i couldn't find a good macintosh to save me life

and i never could stand red or yellow delicious. so i graduated on to Granny Smith.

by the time i moved up here to the bay area, i had switched to Pippins and then Gravenstein.

eventually, time moves on, and so did my taste in apples

Fuji came up next, quikly supplanted by Braeburn.

braeburn was my fave forever. i think i ate three or four a day for like 5 yrs.

but...

i started getting more and more "bad" Braeburns. they had lost that crisp bite, more and more of em were turning up mealy or tasteless.. plus, it was harder to find a local Braeburn. you'd go to the market, and they'd only be braeburns from New Zealand or something. no thank you.

so far, i haven't found a replacement for my braeburn. apple season is booming at the farmers markets, so i keep hoping. there are a billion cultivars out there, with alluring names, and everytime we go i try and get as many varieties as we can.

black arkansas

honeycrisp

mutsu

cortland

ginger gold

black sap

spartan

winesap

etc and so forth

unfortunately, by the time we get home, i can't tell what is what anymore..20lbs of mixed apples is what we end up with

fraggle

Patricia Sep 11, 2009 3:14 PM RE: Apples

I only like Granny Smiths and Pippins; I like tart and crisp.Patricia

Recent Activity

New MembersVisit Your Group

Give Back

for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Your quest sounds something like mine. My latest disappointment was Honey Crisp from the market. When I was about 10, I lived in Missouri and my family used to take drives in the country. One time we stopped at a roadside stand that was selling Yorks. We had never tasted them, but when we did, we fell in love and bought a whole bushel. The air was cool and crisp and so were the apples. The skin wasn't pretty and shiny, but those were the best apples I ever tasted. I hardly eat apples now because even the Grannys and Pippins from the store aren't always up to par. When I go to PA next month, we're going to go to an apple harvest, maybe I'll find something there.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Apples Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:56 PM

originally, many moons ago, the wee fraggle loved macintosh. juicy tart and sweet macintosh. not the ones you buy in the store, but straight from the orchard. since i spent my summers in SoCal, and the rest of the year (mostly) in Connecticut, i'd come back to the nutmeg state just as the harvest was getting in full swing. of course, that was also way back when i actually liked fall and winter...my my, how times change.

and i never could stand red or yellow delicious. so i graduated on to Granny Smith.

by the time i moved up here to the bay area, i had switched to Pippins and then Gravenstein.

but...

i started getting more and more "bad" Braeburns. they had lost that crisp bite, more and more of em were turning up mealy or tasteless.. plus, it was harder to find a local Braeburn. you'd go to the market, and they'd only be braeburns from New Zealand or something. no thank you.

so far, i haven't found a replacement for my braeburn. apple season is booming at the farmers markets, so i keep hoping. there are a billion cultivars out there, with alluring names, and everytime we go i try and get as many varieties as we can.

black arkansas

honeycrisp

mutsu

cortland

ginger gold

black sap

spartan

winesap

etc and so forth

unfortunately, by the time we get home, i can't tell what is what anymore..20lbs of mixed apples is what we end up with

fraggle

Recent Activity

Give Back

for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others. .

I like sweet ones.

Jo

-

Patricia

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:14 PM

RE: Apples

I only like Granny Smiths and Pippins; I like tart and crisp.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov.uk> wrote:

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov.uk>RE: Apples Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:52 AM

Opalline

Oh, how I love my apples. My favorites are Fuji , Braeburn, and Cameo. My Chihuahua loves apple bits, so I always have to share with her! LOL

Judy

LOL - well, they are all good for you.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, September 11, 2009 9:56 PM

but...

black arkansas

honeycrisp

mutsu

cortland

ginger gold

black sap

spartan

winesap

etc and so forth

fraggle

Recent Activity

Give Back

for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

I love, love, love Honeycrisps. I have to admit that last year's crop

was disappointing. I've got my fingers crossed that when the

Honeycrisps come in at our local orchard this year, they will be as

tasty as the first one I ever tried. I also love Fuji apples. I like

the crisp ones. I don't care for mushy or mealy apples. I'm enjoying

reading what others enjoy so I can try new things!

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one

wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to

die, so do other creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

This week my favorite is Akane, from the farmers' market.

I grew up across the street from an apple orchard, so we bought them

by the bushel. When I moved away, the one I missed most was Winesap,

so whenever I went back, I took bags of Winesaps with me. (Of course,

once the orchard owners retired, they had trouble selling the land

because it was so contaminated from years and years of

skull-and-crossbones chemicals.)

years pass...

Now apples are one of those foods that I buy organic only. At least

one of the organic growers displays the crates of apples from sweet

to tart, and I usually try the ones on the tarter end of the

spectrum. Depending on what the farmers' market offers, some of the

ones I've loved include Arkansas Black, Black Twig, something Banana.

For a long time my favorite was Mutsu.

Just the name Honey Crisp sound delicious, but I must have gotten a dud; I'll try them again, though.Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddogRe: Apples Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 4:06 PMI love, love, love Honeycrisps. I have to admit that last year's crop was disappointing. I've got my fingers crossed that when the Honeycrisps come in at our local orchard this year, they will be as tasty as the first one I ever tried. I

also love Fuji apples. I like the crisp ones. I don't care for mushy or mealy apples. I'm enjoying reading what others enjoy so I can try new things!Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> To visit your

group on the web, go to: /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I've never heard of Akane, what's it like?Patricia--- On Fri, 9/11/09, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRE: Apples Date: Friday, September 11, 2009, 9:45 PMThis week my favorite is Akane, from the farmers' market.I grew up across the street from an apple orchard, so we bought them by the bushel. When I moved away, the one I missed most was Winesap, so whenever I went back, I took bags of Winesaps with me. (Of course, once the orchard owners retired, they had trouble selling the land because it was so

contaminated from years and years of skull-and-crossbones chemicals.)years pass...Now apples are one of those foods that I buy organic only. At least one of the organic growers displays the crates of apples from sweet to tart, and I usually try the ones on the tarter end of the spectrum. Depending on what the farmers' market offers, some of the ones I've loved include Arkansas Black, Black Twig, something Banana. For a long time my favorite was Mutsu.---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Over the last few days I have heard the names of lots of apples that are new to me. I never realised there were so many.

Jo

-

yarrow

Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:45 AM

This week my favorite is Akane, from the farmers' market.I grew up across the street from an apple orchard, so we bought them by the bushel. When I moved away, the one I missed most was Winesap, so whenever I went back, I took bags of Winesaps with me. (Of course, once the orchard owners retired, they had trouble selling the land because it was so contaminated from years and years of skull-and-crossbones chemicals.)years pass...Now apples are one of those foods that I buy organic only. At least one of the organic growers displays the crates of apples from sweet to tart, and I usually try the ones on the tarter end of the spectrum. Depending on what the farmers' market offers, some of the ones I've loved include Arkansas Black, Black Twig, something Banana. For a long time my favorite was Mutsu.

there are literally thousands of different apple culitivars..

"jo.heartwork" Sep 12, 2009 5:59 AM Re: Apples

Over the last few days I have heard the names of lots of apples that are new to me. I never realised there were so many.

Jo

-

yarrow

Saturday, September 12, 2009 5:45 AM

This week my favorite is Akane, from the farmers' market.I grew up across the street from an apple orchard, so we bought them by the bushel. When I moved away, the one I missed most was Winesap, so whenever I went back, I took bags of Winesaps with me. (Of course, once the orchard owners retired, they had trouble selling the land because it was so contaminated from years and years of skull-and-crossbones chemicals.)years pass...Now apples are one of those foods that I buy organic only. At least one of the organic growers displays the crates of apples from sweet to tart, and I usually try the ones on the tarter end of the spectrum. Depending on what the farmers' market offers, some of the ones I've loved include Arkansas Black, Black Twig, something Banana. For a long time my favorite was Mutsu.

Red, firm, perfect balance of tart/sweet and dry/juicy. The ones

at the farmer's market are very small, about half the size of a normal

apple.

At 12:59 AM -0700 9/12/09, Patricia wrote:

I've never heard of Akane, what's it like?

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, yarrow <yarrow

wrote:

I'll look for it. I bought a Braeburn today. I only bought one because I want to taste it before I buy a lot.Patricia--- On Sat, 9/12/09, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRE: Apples Date: Saturday, September 12, 2009, 8:06 PM

Red, firm, perfect balance of tart/sweet and dry/juicy. The ones

at the farmer's market are very small, about half the size of a normal

apple.

At 12:59 AM -0700 9/12/09, Patricia wrote:

I've never heard of Akane, what's it like?

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, yarrow <yarrow

wrote: