IndiaDivine.org

A mini triumph :)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

So it's been a couple of weeks since I started working towards being vegan. I am not yet at the stage of reading labels to find hidden dairy, so I'm sure I must have consumed a fair amount that way, but I have been actively avoiding consuming anything that obviously contains dairy product or eggs as a first step towards eradicating it completely.

In the whole of last week, I didn't eat ANY cheese, and I only had a very small amount of cow's milk (twice, in a cup of tea, because DH made it for me and forgot to use soya milk and I drank it without realising). I also had a piece of cake at work which, although made with vegetable marge instead of dairy marge, contained egg. That one was because I wasn't thinking properly until about half an hour afterwards when it dawned on me that cakes usually have eggs in them. *headdesk*.

So it's far from perfect yet, but not bad going at this early stage. Especially for a person who used to polish off a whole block of cheese and about 4 pints of milk single handedly each week!

Interestingly, I've noticed that my asthma isn't as bad as normal, and I have less mucous… Most of the time I can taste salty goo in the back of my throat - but this week it's far less pronounced than normal. I've heard that eating dairy can cause that kind of thing so I'm hoping this reduction is due to my much reduced consumption! No change in my psoriasis yet, but things always happen slowly with that so I'm not expecting much for a while. I also caught a cold at the weekend but it was far less unpleasant and shorter lived than usual…two days later and I'm feeling more or less completely normal again whereas normally, colds drag on for ages with me. I wonder if this is linked to my big increase in eating healthy, fresh veggies instead of all the junk I lived on before?

Feeling pretty chuffed right now :D

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Congrats, keep up the good work. --- On Mon, 9/14/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER A mini triumph :) Date: Monday, September 14, 2009, 4:48 AM

So it's been a couple of weeks since I started working towards being vegan. I am not yet at the stage of reading labels to find hidden dairy, so I'm sure I must have consumed a fair amount that way, but I have been actively avoiding consuming anything that obviously contains dairy product or eggs as a first step towards eradicating it completely.

In the whole of last week, I didn't eat ANY cheese, and I only had a very small amount of cow's milk (twice, in a cup of tea, because DH made it for me and forgot to use soya milk and I drank it without realising). I also had a piece of cake at work which, although made with vegetable marge instead of dairy marge, contained egg. That one was because I wasn't thinking properly until about half an hour afterwards when it dawned on me that cakes usually have eggs in them. *headdesk*.

So it's far from perfect yet, but not bad going at this early stage. Especially for a person who used to polish off a whole block of cheese and about 4 pints of milk single handedly each week!

Interestingly, I've noticed that my asthma isn't as bad as normal, and I have less mucous… Most of the time I can taste salty goo in the back of my throat - but this week it's far less pronounced than normal. I've heard that eating dairy can cause that kind of thing so I'm hoping this reduction is due to my much reduced consumption! No change in my psoriasis yet, but things always happen slowly with that so I'm not expecting much for a while. I also caught a cold at the weekend but it was far less unpleasant and shorter lived than usual…two days later and I'm feeling more or less completely normal again whereas normally, colds drag on for ages with me. I wonder if this is linked to my big increase in eating healthy, fresh veggies instead of all the junk I lived on before?

Opalline

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Congrats! I'm going to have to start living by your example cheese is super tough for me :(. I'm glad your starting to feel better too. It's so motivating to hear success stories like that. Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 5:48:55 AM A mini triumph :)

Opalline

Congratulations on your journey so far!

Kathleen

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER Sent: Monday, 14 September, 2009 11:48:55 A mini triumph :)

Opalline

Hey, well done! I think I must be at about the same stage as you - I

accidentally ate a piece of garlic bread before I thought about the butter

content - it's really annoying when that happens! And cheese is my struggle too,

brie and cheddar, still, if you can do it, so can I!

:)

Bex

Once you have decided that you really want to do it, it is easy.

Jo

-

pinkerbex

Monday, September 14, 2009 5:02 PM

Re: A mini triumph :)

Hey, well done! I think I must be at about the same stage as you - I accidentally ate a piece of garlic bread before I thought about the butter content - it's really annoying when that happens! And cheese is my struggle too, brie and cheddar, still, if you can do it, so can I!:)Bex

Thanks for all the congratulations :D

Opalline

I really hope that happens to me. I get SO many colds it's not even funny. At least once a month!! I was disappointed when I caught a cold this weekend after I'd been eating so healthily, but I guess it takes longer than two weeks to grow your immune system back! Saying that though, the one I had this weekend was definitely shorter lived than normal, I only felt really bad for two days and usually it's the best part of a week. I really hope this is my new diet starting to work!!

Opalline

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork14 September 2009 17:39 Subject: Re: A mini triumph :)

Dairy is really bad for producing mucus. When you eat a vegan diet you sometimes get a cold that you don't realise is a cold because it is so mild, and doesn't produce anything.

Jo

, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek wrote:

>

> Congrats! I'm going to have to start living by your example cheese is super

tough for me :(. I'm glad your starting to feel better too. It's so motivating

to hear success stories like that.

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER

>

> Monday, September 14, 2009 5:48:55 AM

> A mini triumph :)

>

>

> So it's been a couple of weeks since I started working towards being vegan. I

am not yet at the stage of reading labels to find hidden dairy, so I'm sure I

must have consumed a fair amount that way, but I have been actively avoiding

consuming anything that obviously contains dairy product or eggs as a first step

towards eradicating it completely.

> In the whole of last week, I didn't eat ANY cheese, and I only had a very

small amount of cow's milk (twice, in a cup of tea, because DH made it for me

and forgot to use soya milk and I drank it without realising). I also had a

piece of cake at work which, although made with vegetable marge instead of dairy

marge, contained egg. That one was because I wasn't thinking properly until

about half an hour afterwards when it dawned on me that cakes usually have eggs

in them. *headdesk*.

> So it's far from perfect yet, but not bad going at this early stage.

Especially for a person who used to polish off a whole block of cheese and about

4 pints of milk single handedly each week!

> Interestingly, I've noticed that my asthma isn't as bad as normal, and I have

less mucous… Most of the time I can taste salty goo in the back of my throat -

but this week it's far less pronounced than normal. I've heard that eating dairy

can cause that kind of thing so I'm hoping this reduction is due to my much

reduced consumption! No change in my psoriasis yet, but things always happen

slowly with that so I'm not expecting much for a while. I also caught a cold at

the weekend but it was far less unpleasant and shorter lived than usual…two

days later and I'm feeling more or less completely normal again whereas

normally, colds drag on for ages with me. I wonder if this is linked to my big

increase in eating healthy, fresh veggies instead of all the junk I lived on

before?

> Feeling pretty chuffed right now :D

> Opalline

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not

> the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,

> print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error

> has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this

> e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems

> is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

I hope it does help. I have many friends who, although not vegan, stop all dairy when they feel a cold coming on, because then it doesn't seem as bad.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 11:05 AM

RE: A mini triumph :)

I really hope that happens to me. I get SO many colds it's not even funny. At least once a month!! I was disappointed when I caught a cold this weekend after I'd been eating so healthily, but I guess it takes longer than two weeks to grow your immune system back! Saying that though, the one I had this weekend was definitely shorter lived than normal, I only felt really bad for two days and usually it's the best part of a week. I really hope this is my new diet starting to work!!

Opalline

Dairy is really bad for producing mucus. When you eat a vegan diet you sometimes get a cold that you don't realise is a cold because it is so mild, and doesn't produce anything.

Jo

Hi Opalline, are you sure these are colds and not allergies?Patricia--- On Tue, 9/15/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: A mini triumph :) Date: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 3:05 AM

Opalline

Jo

Hi Patricia,

I do have allergies (hay fever, and mould spores) and my asthma is also triggered by these allergies - so my first reaction to a suspected cold is usually to take an antihistamine tablet. If it doesn't help, I assume it's not an allergy ! Most of the time it turns out to be a cold, sadly.

I suspect one of my problems is that I have a 5 year old son who started attending school in the last year, and it's a melting pot of germs. He brings them home, whereupon I immediately catch them all as I seem to have such low resistance to them. This happened to me once before, when I worked in a pharmacy... I caught a cold almost every week for a year because of all the sick people I dealt with, then after that I must have built up an immunity because I didn't have another cold for about three years.

That was a few years back though and we moved house, so I guess this is a whole new set of germs I haven't seen before :(

Interestingly, though, I seem to be very resistant to catching things like stomach flu... several times over the last year DS caught stomach bugs from school (there were epidemics in the area) and despite my being the one who cared for him when he was sick, I never caught any of them. I guess the mechanism of immunity between the two types of disease is different?!

Opalline

Hi Opalline, are you sure these are colds and not allergies?Patricia

It's true that children are little germ factories, so that may be where your problem lies.Patricia--- On Thu, 9/17/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: A mini triumph :) Date: Thursday, September 17, 2009, 2:20 AM

Hi Patricia,

I do have allergies (hay fever, and mould spores) and my asthma is also triggered by these allergies - so my first reaction to a suspected cold is usually to take an antihistamine tablet. If it doesn't help, I assume it's not an allergy ! Most of the time it turns out to be a cold, sadly.

I suspect one of my problems is that I have a 5 year old son who started attending school in the last year, and it's a melting pot of germs. He brings them home, whereupon I immediately catch them all as I seem to have such low resistance to them. This happened to me once before, when I worked in a pharmacy... I caught a cold almost every week for a year because of all the sick people I dealt with, then after that I must have built up an immunity because I didn't have another cold for about three years.

That was a few years back though and we moved house, so I guess this is a whole new set of germs I haven't seen before :(

Interestingly, though, I seem to be very resistant to catching things like stomach flu... several times over the last year DS caught stomach bugs from school (there were epidemics in the area) and despite my being the one who cared for him when he was sick, I never caught any of them. I guess the mechanism of immunity between the two types of disease is different?!

Opalline

Hi Opalline, are you sure these are colds and not allergies?Patricia