IndiaDivine.org

Nut Butter

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.

Is nut butter fattening? Compared, to, say, cheddar cheese?

I mean I know it's *probably* healthier in terms of saturated vs unsaturated fats than cheese, but other than that I'm not sure.

I ask because I could do with losing that half a stone in weight that I put on when I was pigging out on cheese so heavily. Since going vegan I've been eating peanut butter on rice cakes every time I've felt like eating some cheese. I'm using about a jar a week... and I'm wondering whether I'm essentially replacing one thing with another that's just as bad?? If it's not much different to cheese from a waistline point of view then I may have to rethink my plans here ;-)

Opalline

On Behalf Of heartwerk16 September 2009 07:41 Subject: Re: Quick and easy lunch ideas or things I can make early and save t

Some crackers and a pot of nut butter; cold rice and pasta salads; bread, salad and avacado; nuts and raisins; fruit; cold rice pudding; bean pate; cold nut roast; Redwoods no-cook sausages or chicken-style pieces, pates, meat style slices.Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Vegetarian Journal Nov/Dec 2001

Vegetarian Journal's Guide to Nuts and Nut Butters

By Reed Mangels, PhD, RD

More and more research is pointing to the health benefits of nuts and seeds. A study of Seventh-day Adventists found that those who ate nuts at least 5 times a week had half the risk of dying from heart disease compared to those who rarely ate nuts. Another study of women found that those who ate nuts were only 40% as likely to die from heart disease as those who never ate nuts. Walnuts, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts have been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, and seed butters contain generous amounts of phytochemicals that may be protective against colon, prostate, and breast cancer. Many people avoid nuts, seeds, and their butters because of concerns that they are too high in fat and calories. Americans, on average, eat less than half an ounce of nuts and nut butters daily. An ounce of nuts or seeds has between 150 and 200 calories. (Soy nuts, which are not really nuts, but which we'll consider in this article, have 130 calories per ounce.) A tablespoon of nut or seed butter has about 80-100 calories. Nuts and seeds have 12 to 22 grams of fat in an ounce (but most of this is unsaturated fat), and they contain no cholesterol. Nut and seed butters have 7 to 10 grams of fat in a tablespoon, also mostly unsaturated fat. Nuts, seeds, and their butters are also good sources of many nutrients, including protein, zinc, fiber, vitamin E, folic acid, copper, and potassium. Walnuts are high in alpha-linolenic acid, a polyunsaturated fat that may be in short supply in vegetarian diets. It is certainly possible to include nuts and seeds in a healthful diet. Are some nuts, seeds, or butters better for you than others? Not really, unless you're looking for a specific nutrient. If you're using these foods as a major protein source, check out soy nuts (roasted soybeans) and soy nut butter. They have 11 grams of protein per ounce, and 4 grams per tablespoon, respectively. Pumpkin seeds, black walnuts, pine nuts, and peanuts have slightly more protein than do other seeds and nuts. Peanut butter is slightly higher in protein than other nut butters. Nuts contain some zinc, although it may not be well absorbed. Pumpkin seeds, cashews, and cashew butter are slightly higher in zinc than other products. Almonds, almond butter, and tahini contain slightly more calcium. See the table on the following page for more information about the nutrient contents of nut and seed butters. Peanut butter is a product where it certainly pays to buy organic if you are trying to avoid pesticides or insecticide residues. A survey of foods commonly eaten in Canada found that peanut butter was the food in which pesticide residues were most frequently found. Half of the peanut butter sampled in the US contained detectable levels of an insecticide, although the amounts found were below legal limits. Companies that produce organic nut butters include Arrowhead Mills (peanut butter and tahini), Kettle Foods (peanut butter), Marantha (almond butter, peanut butter, and tahini), Once Again Nut Butter (peanut butter, tahini, almond butter, and cashew butter), IM Healthy (soy nut butter), and HempNut (hempseed and organic peanut butter - 49% organic). If you're watching your sodium intake, opt for unsalted nuts and nut butters instead of salted products. An ounce of unsalted peanuts has 2 milligrams of sodium, whereas an ounce of salted peanuts can have 100 times as much - around 230 milligrams. A tablespoon of peanut butter with no salt added has 3 milligrams of sodium, while a tablespoon of peanut butter with salt added has around 75 milligrams. What about dry-roasted versus oil-roasted nuts? I've noticed that some brands of dry-roasted nuts contain gelatin, something vegetarians will want to check for on the label. As far as fat content, there is almost no difference between dry-roasted nuts and oil-roasted nuts. Peanut butter is available in a lower-fat form where a sweetener is used to replace some of the fat. While this can help reduce the fat in your diet if you eat lots of peanut butter, I'm not convinced that, for the occasional user, the added sugar is any better for you than the fat that was in the peanut butter originally. Many brands of peanut butter have hydrogenated fat added to make the peanut butter easier to spread, and sweetener added to "enhance" the taste. If you usually buy this kind of product, try using unrefined peanut butter instead. The oil will separate and can be stirred back in so the peanut butter is easier to spread. The peanut butter will taste more like peanuts and less like sugar. Buying a salted version will ease the transition for many people. What can you do with nuts, seeds, nut butters, and seed butters? You can certainly start with PB & J sandwiches and bowls of nuts. Try spreading nut or seed butters on fruit, celery, or carrots, or adding fruit or grated carrots to a nut or seed butter sandwich. A big hit at my house is an apple, sliced into rounds, and spread with peanut butter (raisins stick easily to the peanut butter, and you can make smiley faces to entice your kids to eat this healthy treat). Use nuts as a garnish for salads or stir-fries. Make pesto with walnuts, pine nuts, or pecans. Make a sauce or salad dressing with nut or seed butter. Purée cooked dried beans with nut or seed butters (tahini and chickpeas are a classic but there are many other delicious combinations). Nuts, seeds, and nut and seed butters can be added to baked goods like cookies, breads, and crisps. They're a great way to get in a few extra calories and nutrients for growing children. However, even smooth nut and seed butters spread on bread or crackers should not be used until after the first birthday due to choking risk; in families with a strong history of allergies, peanuts and other nuts should not be introduced until three years of age. Nuts, seeds, nut butters, and seed butters can be a tasty and healthful part of a vegetarian diet.

Product

Calories

Protein

Fat

Calcium

Zinc

(1 Tbsp)

(g)

(g)

(mg)

(mg)

Almond butter

Cashew butter

Hazelnut butter

N/A

N/A

Peanut butter - natural

Peanut butter - reduced fat

N/A

Sunflower butter

N/A

N/A

Soy butter (sweetened)

N/A

Soy butter (unsweetened)

N/A

Soy-peanut butter (added sweetener)

N/A

Tahini

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 16, 2009 6:40 AM Nut Butter

This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.

Is nut butter fattening? Compared, to, say, cheddar cheese?

I mean I know it's *probably* healthier in terms of saturated vs unsaturated fats than cheese, but other than that I'm not sure.

I ask because I could do with losing that half a stone in weight that I put on when I was pigging out on cheese so heavily. Since going vegan I've been eating peanut butter on rice cakes every time I've felt like eating some cheese. I'm using about a jar a week... and I'm wondering whether I'm essentially replacing one thing with another that's just as bad?? If it's not much different to cheese from a waistline point of view then I may have to rethink my plans here ;-)

Opalline

On Behalf Of heartwerk16 September 2009 07:41 Subject: Re: Quick and easy lunch ideas or things I can make early and save t

Some crackers and a pot of nut butter; cold rice and pasta salads; bread, salad and avacado; nuts and raisins; fruit; cold rice pudding; bean pate; cold nut roast; Redwoods no-cook sausages or chicken-style pieces, pates, meat style slices.Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

"Hobbes: Do you think there's a God? Calvin: Well, SOMEBODY'S out to get me."

Great article. Thanks, Fraggle.

Judy

On Behalf Of fraggle

Wednesday, September 16,

2009 11:29 AM

Vegetarian

Journal Nov/Dec 2001

Vegetarian Journal's

Guide to Nuts and Nut Butters

Nuts and nut butter are not particularly fattening. They have so many good

things that it would not be wise to cut them out of your diet. As with lots of

food items, you can over do it for calories though. If you eat a small handful

of nuts or a tablespoonful of nut butter a day you should be okay as far as

calories are concerned. If you find you are eating more nut butter than that,

just spread it more thinly.

If it is just snacks, why not try Natex or some other yeast extract type spread

on crackers.

Jo

, " Underwood-Fowler Cindy " <CDUFOWLER

wrote:

>

> This reminds me, I've been meaning to ask.

>

> Is nut butter fattening? Compared, to, say, cheddar cheese?

>

> I mean I know it's *probably* healthier in terms of saturated vs

> unsaturated fats than cheese, but other than that I'm not sure.

> I ask because I could do with losing that half a stone in weight that I

> put on when I was pigging out on cheese so heavily. Since going vegan

> I've been eating peanut butter on rice cakes every time I've felt like

> eating some cheese. I'm using about a jar a week... and I'm wondering

> whether I'm essentially replacing one thing with another that's just as

> bad?? If it's not much different to cheese from a waistline point of

> view then I may have to rethink my plans here ;-)

>

> Opalline

>

>

> ________________________________

>

> On

> Behalf Of heartwerk

> 16 September 2009 07:41

>

> Re: Quick and easy lunch ideas or things I can

> make early and save t

>

>

>

>

> Some crackers and a pot of nut butter; cold rice and pasta salads;

> bread, salad and avacado; nuts and raisins; fruit; cold rice pudding;

> bean pate; cold nut roast; Redwoods no-cook sausages or chicken-style

> pieces, pates, meat style slices.

>

> Jo

>

> .

>

> <http://geo./serv?s=97359714/grpId=3577209/grpspId=1705129295/m

> sgId=64212/stime=1253083339/nc1=3848643/nc2=4025321/nc3=5658258>

>

>

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. "

>

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

I've always loved peanut butter, but oddly enough I don't generally like them 'loose' unless they're mixed into something like muesli or a cake!

I don't believe I eat more than a tablespoon of peanut butter per day... it's really just enough to spread fairly thinly on three or four rice cakes or maybe a slice of bread or two if I decide to have it for lunch. I guess I'm safe :)

I like the yeast extract idea though... that would be nice for variety. I used to *hate* yeast extract until I had a baby - then overnight, I started craving it. I ate twiglets by the ton, and marmite on toast, every day for weeks - and even after I had the baby, though I stopped craving it, I never went back to hating it like I used to. It's weird how pregnancy can change you in such unexpected ways!

Thanks,

Opalline

On Behalf Of heartwerk17 September 2009 07:41 Subject: Re: Nut Butter

Nuts and nut butter are not particularly fattening. They have so many good things that it would not be wise to cut them out of your diet. As with lots of food items, you can over do it for calories though. If you eat a small handful of nuts or a tablespoonful of nut butter a day you should be okay as far as calories are concerned. If you find you are eating more nut butter than that, just spread it more thinly.If it is just snacks, why not try Natex or some other yeast extract type spread on crackers.Jo

Wow, what a fascinating article. I had no idea quite how good for you nuts are!

Is the vegetarian journal available online? It sounds like something I would enjoy reading.

Thanks so much for that.

Opalline

On Behalf Of fraggle16 September 2009 16:29 Subject: Re: Nut Butter

By Reed Mangels, PhD, RD

http://www.vrg.org/journal/

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 17, 2009 7:31 AM RE: Nut Butter

Wow, what a fascinating article. I had no idea quite how good for you nuts are!

Is the vegetarian journal available online? It sounds like something I would enjoy reading.

Thanks so much for that.

Opalline

On Behalf Of fraggle16 September 2009 16:29 Subject: Re: Nut Butter

By Reed Mangels, PhD, RD

It sounds as though you should be okay with the amount of peanut butter you are having. Don't forget that on your previous diet you would have been eating meat or cheese etc. and getting quite a few calories, and fat from them.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:40 AM

RE: Re: Nut Butter

I've always loved peanut butter, but oddly enough I don't generally like them 'loose' unless they're mixed into something like muesli or a cake!

I don't believe I eat more than a tablespoon of peanut butter per day... it's really just enough to spread fairly thinly on three or four rice cakes or maybe a slice of bread or two if I decide to have it for lunch. I guess I'm safe :)

I like the yeast extract idea though... that would be nice for variety. I used to *hate* yeast extract until I had a baby - then overnight, I started craving it. I ate twiglets by the ton, and marmite on toast, every day for weeks - and even after I had the baby, though I stopped craving it, I never went back to hating it like I used to. It's weird how pregnancy can change you in such unexpected ways!

Thanks,

Opalline

On Behalf Of heartwerk17 September 2009 07:41 Subject: Re: Nut Butter

Nuts and nut butter are not particularly fattening. They have so many good things that it would not be wise to cut them out of your diet. As with lots of food items, you can over do it for calories though. If you eat a small handful of nuts or a tablespoonful of nut butter a day you should be okay as far as calories are concerned. If you find you are eating more nut butter than that, just spread it more thinly.If it is just snacks, why not try Natex or some other yeast extract type spread on crackers.Jo

No meat, but a truckload of cheese... I shudder to think what my arteries must look like!

Incidentally, it's only been two weeks since I gave up foods that obviously contained dairy and I've already lost three or four pounds. I'm not even dieting... no calorie counting, no portion control. I still eat whenever I'm hungry, as much as I want, the only difference is I'm trying to make healthy choices instead of reaching for the cheese or pizza or ready made processed veggie foods. My clothes are fitting better and I feel better too!

Opalline

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork17 September 2009 18:41 Subject: Re: Re: Nut Butter

It sounds as though you should be okay with the amount of peanut butter you are having. Don't forget that on your previous diet you would have been eating meat or cheese etc. and getting quite a few calories, and fat from them.

Jo

Good for you!Patricia--- On Fri, 9/18/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: Re: Nut Butter Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 3:07 AM

No meat, but a truckload of cheese... I shudder to think what my arteries must look like!

Incidentally, it's only been two weeks since I gave up foods that obviously contained dairy and I've already lost three or four pounds. I'm not even dieting... no calorie counting, no portion control. I still eat whenever I'm hungry, as much as I want, the only difference is I'm trying to make healthy choices instead of reaching for the cheese or pizza or ready made processed veggie foods. My clothes are fitting better and I feel better too!

Opalline

On Behalf Of jo.heartwork17 September 2009 18:41 Subject: Re: Re: Nut Butter

Jo

Thank you!I have a LOT of reading to do :)

Opalline

On Behalf Of fraggle17 September 2009 16:17 Subject: RE: Nut Butter

http://www.vrg.org/journal/