IndiaDivine.org

Vegan soup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We went to Stonehenge the other day to celebrate the Equinox, and then went on

to Avebury. The little cafe there is National Trust, and veggie. We were

pleased to see that the soup and roll is now labelled as being vegan.

Unfortunately there is no vegan margarine, but that is not too important. They

usually have vegan chocolate cake there too, and one vegan main meal.

Jo

Wow, Jo, that sounds amazing. Who sponsors the ritual, OBOD? And when

you say Stonehenge, you're talking about the real deal! We have a

replica near Portland, and Druids and other interesting people use it

for ritual, but dang. To do one at STONEHENGE. Wow.

The food sounded great, and I'm not at all surprised it was offered. You

Brits are so vegan friendly. Of all the places we've traveled, the UK

was the easiest place to find great food. We even had vegan bangers and

mash at a cool vegetarian bar in Brighton.

Bright autumn blessings,

Trish

I'm not surewhich body runs the ritual there - it is usually led by Rollo, a well known Druid, local to Stonehenge. Occasionally Arthur takes it, and sometimes another chap - can't remember his name.

It is getting a lot better here for eating out. Brighton is very good for vegetarian cafes, and most do some vegan food. Our favourite place there is The George pub which is vegetarian and does lovely food - about a third of it is vegan. We've also eaten at a place called Wai Kika Mookow, which is reasonably good, and Food For Friends a few years ago, but the only vegan food there was salad as most meals were smothered in cheese. There are other places there though. Do you know the name of the place you went to?

Jo

-

bantrymoon

Saturday, September 26, 2009 5:58 PM

Re:Vegan soup

Wow, Jo, that sounds amazing. Who sponsors the ritual, OBOD? And when you say Stonehenge, you're talking about the real deal! We have a replica near Portland, and Druids and other interesting people use it for ritual, but dang. To do one at STONEHENGE. Wow.The food sounded great, and I'm not at all surprised it was offered. You Brits are so vegan friendly. Of all the places we've traveled, the UK was the easiest place to find great food. We even had vegan bangers and mash at a cool vegetarian bar in Brighton.Bright autumn blessings,Trish

>>>> Do you know the name of the place you went to? <<<<

Gosh, it was in 2004, so my memory's a bit rusty. But " The George " rings

a bell. I think that might be it.

I should say that we were vegetarian but not vegan back then, so I may

also misremember about the bangers being vegan. But I think they were.

We loved Brighton, and it's great to hear about even more vegan options

than when we visited 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Trish

Hi Trish

I expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I ahd them I

had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in it, and onion

gravy.

Jo

, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

>

> >>>> Do you know the name of the place you went to? <<<<

>

> Gosh, it was in 2004, so my memory's a bit rusty. But " The George " rings

> a bell. I think that might be it.

>

> I should say that we were vegetarian but not vegan back then, so I may

> also misremember about the bangers being vegan. But I think they were.

>

> We loved Brighton, and it's great to hear about even more vegan options

> than when we visited 5 years ago.

>

> Cheers,

>

> Trish

>

OMG there is nothing nicer than onion gravy with (non meat) bangers and mash. *drools*

Darn it now you made me want some and all I have with me are Ryvita!

So.... someone fill me in on vegan sausages? The last time I had sausages I was still veggie and I doubt most veggie sausages are vegan. Which ones are nice? Do Morrisons have any?

Opalline (who had her first cheeseless takeaway pizza yesterday. The pizza place sounded utterly confused when I ordered it, lol)

On Behalf Of heartwerk28 September 2009 07:46 Subject: Re: Vegan soup

Hi TrishI expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in it, and onion gravy.Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

I don't know about Morrisons as we don't have one near us. I buy Redwoods from my local health shop, and sometimes Frys when they have them in. You can order Redwoods direct from the company, or Frys from Goodness Direct - but you will need to be in on the day of delivery.

Jo

-

Underwood-Fowler Cindy

Monday, September 28, 2009 10:28 AM

RE: Re: Vegan soup

OMG there is nothing nicer than onion gravy with (non meat) bangers and mash. *drools*

So.... someone fill me in on vegan sausages? The last time I had sausages I was still veggie and I doubt most veggie sausages are vegan. Which ones are nice? Do Morrisons have any?

Opalline (who had her first cheeseless takeaway pizza yesterday. The pizza place sounded utterly confused when I ordered it, lol)

Hi TrishI expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in it, and onion gravy.Jo

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Redwoods are good over on your side of the pond

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Sep 28, 2009 5:28 AM RE: Re: Vegan soup

And everyone got excited about the technology. And I guess it was pretty incredible watching a missile fly down an air-vent. Pretty unbeliveable. But couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? You know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, "There's a guy that needs a banana.Shooooooooooooom"

the Stealth Banana

Smart Fruit!

Bill Hicks

>>>> I expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I

ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in

it, and onion gravy. <<<<

Yep, that sounds like the place, and the dish. Mmmmm. Yummy. Enormous is

an understatement.

I loved English food and ales, and we had fun eating all the local

dishes from Brighton to Inverness. Another delicious discovery was

porridge (I think that's the word.) We call it oatmeal over here, but

ours doesn't taste anything like what we ate in Yorkshire. Delicious.

Then there was this Ploughman's Platter at a vegetarian pub in Bath.

Granted, it wasn't vegan, but that combination of salads was amazing.

I also loved eating in pubs. Crass American and all that, but I don't

like to spend all day in a restaurant. In pubs, we could order at the

counter and pay up front, then leave when we were done. More time to see

Roman walls and medieval churches and beautiful countryside.

Cheers,

Trish

course you have to watch out for those english ales....

lotsa isinglass over there

bantrymoon Sep 28, 2009 11:22 PM Re: Vegan soup

>>>> I expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in it, and onion gravy. <<<<Yep, that sounds like the place, and the dish. Mmmmm. Yummy. Enormous is an understatement.I loved English food and ales, and we had fun eating all the local dishes from Brighton to Inverness. Another delicious discovery was porridge (I think that's the word.) We call it oatmeal over here, but ours doesn't taste anything like what we ate in Yorkshire. Delicious.Then there was this Ploughman's Platter at a vegetarian pub in Bath. Granted, it wasn't vegan, but that combination of salads was amazing.I also loved eating in pubs. Crass American and all that, but I don't like to spend all day in a restaurant. In pubs, we could order at the counter and pay up front, then leave when we were done. More time to see Roman walls and medieval churches and beautiful countryside.Cheers,Trish

And everyone got excited about the technology. And I guess it was pretty incredible watching a missile fly down an air-vent. Pretty unbeliveable. But couldn't we feasibly use that same technology to shoot food at hungry people? You know what I mean? Fly over Ethiopia, "There's a guy that needs a banana.Shooooooooooooom"

the Stealth Banana

Smart Fruit!

Bill Hicks

I found a good vegan hot dog, yipee! It's Morning Star. The texture was good enough that I think I could fool my grandson.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/28/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: Re: Vegan soup Date: Monday, September 28, 2009, 2:28 AM

HI Trish

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Next time I go to the George I'll think of you

(may even have the bangers and mash again).

Was the porridge sweet or savoury? I prefer mine made with soya milk, and

sweetened. My uncle was in the Royal Scots when he was a young man, and he

always made porridge with water and salt.

It is good to eat in pubs, and they are quite accommodating nowadays when you

ask for vegan food. We called in at one pub, looked at the menu and the

specials board but there wasn't anything suitable - all the vegetarian food had

cheese or eggs. We started to leave and the landlady came over and asked what

we would like. They made us a lovely meal of mixed root vegetables and rice,

served with several green vegetables.

Jo

, bantrymoon <bantrymoon wrote:

>

> >>>> I expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan. When I

> ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in

> it, and onion gravy. <<<<

>

> Yep, that sounds like the place, and the dish. Mmmmm. Yummy. Enormous is

> an understatement.

>

> I loved English food and ales, and we had fun eating all the local

> dishes from Brighton to Inverness. Another delicious discovery was

> porridge (I think that's the word.) We call it oatmeal over here, but

> ours doesn't taste anything like what we ate in Yorkshire. Delicious.

>

> Then there was this Ploughman's Platter at a vegetarian pub in Bath.

> Granted, it wasn't vegan, but that combination of salads was amazing.

>

> I also loved eating in pubs. Crass American and all that, but I don't

> like to spend all day in a restaurant. In pubs, we could order at the

> counter and pay up front, then leave when we were done. More time to see

> Roman walls and medieval churches and beautiful countryside.

>

> Cheers,

>

> Trish

>

Let us know how it goes.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> I found a good vegan hot dog, yipee! It's Morning Star. The texture was good

enough that I think I could fool my grandson.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Mon, 9/28/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:

>

> Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER

> RE: Re: Vegan soup

>

> Monday, September 28, 2009, 2:28 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

OMG there is nothing nicer than onion gravy with (non

> meat) bangers and mash. *drools*

> Darn it now you made me want some and all I have with me

> are Ryvita!

>  

> So.... someone fill me in on vegan sausages?

> The last time I had sausages I was still veggie and I doubt most veggie

sausages

> are vegan. Which ones are nice? Do Morrisons have any? 

>  

> Opalline (who had her first cheeseless

> takeaway pizza yesterday. The pizza place sounded utterly confused

> when I ordered it, lol)

>

>

>

>

> On Behalf Of

> heartwerk

> 28 September 2009 07:46

> To:

>

> Re: Vegan

> soup

>

>

>  

>

> Hi Trish

>

> I expect it was the George - the sausages there are vegan.

> When I ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in

> it, and onion

> gravy.

>

> Jo

> .

>

>

> " This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not

> the

> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,

> print,

> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error

> has

> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this

> e-mail. "

>  

> " Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems

> is

> subject to monitoring and auditing. "

>

At 10:28 AM +0100 9/28/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy wrote:

So.... someone fill me in on vegan sausages? The

last time I had sausages I was still veggie and I doubt most veggie

sausages are vegan. Which ones are nice? Do Morrisons have any?

>>

I haven't tried them, but I saw some recipes for vegan sausages

in a new cookbook, Vegan Brunch.

Tofurkey makes a great vegan sausage, we like the Italian ones but there are other flavors. Fieldroast also makes a vegan sausage that is very good.

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:18:52 AMRE: Re: Vegan soup

At 10:28 AM +0100 9/28/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy wrote:

>>

I haven't tried them, but I saw some recipes for vegan sausages in a new cookbook, Vegan Brunch.

if only we could get em over here

tis ok tho..keeps me from eating toooo much processed soy and seitan products

:)

cuz dang was Redwood ever tasty.

heartwerk Sep 29, 2009 2:38 AM Re: Vegan soup

They certainly are - it's really good to have something tasty for a quick meal.JoRE: Re: Vegan soup Redwoods are good over on your side of the pond

the Stealth Banana

Smart Fruit!

Bill Hicks

Will do.Patricia--- On Mon, 9/28/09, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Vegan soup Date: Monday, September 28, 2009, 11:47 PMLet us know how it goes.Jo , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> I found a good vegan hot dog, yipee! It's Morning Star. The texture was good enough that I think I could fool my grandson.> > Patricia>

> --- On Mon, 9/28/09, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:> > Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER> RE: Re: Vegan soup> > Monday, September 28, 2009, 2:28 AM> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > OMG there is nothing nicer than onion gravy with (non > meat) bangers and mash. *drools*> Darn it now you made me want some and all I have with me > are Ryvita!> > So.... someone fill me in on vegan sausages? > The last time I had sausages I was still veggie and I

doubt most veggie sausages > are vegan. Which ones are nice? Do Morrisons have any? > > Opalline (who had her first cheeseless > takeaway pizza yesterday. The pizza place sounded utterly confused > when I ordered it, lol)> > > > > On Behalf Of > heartwerk> 28 September 2009 07:46> > > Re: Vegan > soup> > > > > Hi Trish> > I expect it was

the George - the sausages there are vegan. > When I ahd them I had an enormous bowl of mashed potato with three sausages in > it, and onion > gravy.> > Jo> . > > > "This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not > the> intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, > print,> or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error > has> misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this > e-mail."> > "Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems > is> subject to monitoring and auditing.">---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>