IndiaDivine.org

squirrels, was Samhain/Halloween

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We haven't had sighthounds here, but have had dobermans and goldens

who like to run after squirrels and look up the trees. Before I let

the dog out, if I see any squirrels in the yard, I warn them that the

dog is coming. I also think it's worth having a talk with your

squirrels, especially this time of year (in the northern hemisphere)

because the squirrels so often seem so involved in burying acorns

that they're a little more oblivious to other critters. (Have I

mentioned that I talk to critters when I need to protect my garden?

Basically I explain boundaries.)

At 9:26 AM -0500 11/5/09, NATASHA HARHOLD wrote:

>Which actually brings me to a question for all of you. Does anyone

>have any suggestions for keeping squirrels out of the yard? We have a

>woodlot behind us and a nice, open easement next to us and they are

>getting kind of crazy lately. They normally run out of the yard when

>I bang around and make noise to alert them that I'm letting the dogs

>out. But lately, they'll run up the tree then come RIGHT back down

>with the dogs out there. I've had some that have been up on the

>privacy fence and been running back and forth trying to get away from

>Gracie while she leaps and jumps and tries to grab them. I've had to

>run out there countless times lately to grab her and drag her back

>inside to give the squirrel a chance to run away. I may be vegan, but

>Gracie and Jeanie are not and as sighthounds, their instinct is to

>catch the little guys. They're good girls and they do listen but not

>when it comes to critters. So, if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to

>hear them. I don't want to have to have squirrel funerals if I can

>avoid it.

>

>

Actually, I have spoken with them and they aren't listening. I keep trying to tell them that if the dogs are out and they come wandering down the trees or into the yard, they will become lunch for the dogs and that I really, really don't want that to happen. I've tried having a calm conversation with Gracie, too, but she's not listening. Our squirrels simply do not respect boundaries and seem to have no sense of self-preservation. I will say, though, that it's nice to know that others talk to the critters in their yards, too. I've been known to carry on conversations with bumble and honey bees around the lavender and butterfly bushes in our yard. I'm sure our neighbors think I'm a little wacky, but that's fine with me.You wrote:also think it's worth having a talk with your squirrels, especially this time of year (in the northern hemisphere) because the squirrels so often seem so involved in burying acorns that they're a little more oblivious to other critters. (Have I mentioned that I talk to critters when I need to protect my garden? Basically I explain boundaries.)

Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

i tried explaining things to the slugs and snails...

they never listen

they mock me

yarrow Nov 5, 2009 5:39 PM squirrels, was Re: Samhain/Halloween

We haven't had sighthounds here, but have had dobermans and goldens who like to run after squirrels and look up the trees. Before I let the dog out, if I see any squirrels in the yard, I warn them that the dog is coming. I also think it's worth having a talk with your squirrels, especially this time of year (in the northern hemisphere) because the squirrels so often seem so involved in burying acorns that they're a little more oblivious to other critters. (Have I mentioned that I talk to critters when I need to protect my garden? Basically I explain boundaries.)At 9:26 AM -0500 11/5/09, NATASHA HARHOLD wrote:>Which actually brings me to a question for all of you. Does anyone>have any suggestions for keeping squirrels out of the yard? We have a>woodlot behind us and a nice, open easement next to us and they are>getting kind of crazy lately. They normally run out of the yard when>I bang around and make noise to alert them that I'm letting the dogs>out. But lately, they'll run up the tree then come RIGHT back down>with the dogs out there. I've had some that have been up on the>privacy fence and been running back and forth trying to get away from>Gracie while she leaps and jumps and tries to grab them. I've had to>run out there countless times lately to grab her and drag her back>inside to give the squirrel a chance to run away. I may be vegan, but>Gracie and Jeanie are not and as sighthounds, their instinct is to>catch the little guys. They're good girls and they do listen but not>when it comes to critters. So, if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to>hear them. I don't want to have to have squirrel funerals if I can>avoid it.>>

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!