IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Green bean casserole

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Does any one have a t & t vegan green bean casserole recipe? I made one last year,

don't remember where I got the recipe from, but I didn't like it too much. All

the other vegheads liked it and even some of the non vegi people, but I didn't

really care for it. I can find a ton if I do a search online, but I would like

one that has been tried a favored by someone already. Thank you!

sorry, never liked casserole, so don't have a tried and true recipe fer ya Erica.....

Judy Goldsmith Nov 20, 2009 3:07 PM RE: Vegan Green bean casserole

Try WWW.GentleThanksgiving.org I'm pretty sure they have oneJudy OnBehalf Of EricaDoes any one have a t & t vegan green bean casserole recipe?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

I don't know what t & t means, but Isa Moskowitz posted a link to this recipe on Facebook just this afternoon.

Dena

Greenbean Mushroom Casserole

This recipe is pretty flexible in terms of what kind of dish to use. My favorite is this 10×10 casserole I have, but if you don’t have that size, I’ve done it in an 11×13 pan and it was fine, just a little thinner. You can also double it for deeper casseroles. You’ll see that two of the ingredients are optional. I’ve done this with nutritional yeast and broth powder, and without. Those optional ingredients definitely add flavor, but you don’t miss ‘em too much if they’re not around.

4 cups green beans (1 lb), fresh or frozen (ends chopped if fresh)2 tablespoons olive oil1 small onion, finely chopped2 cups sliced mushrooms4 cups creamy mushroom soup (one 16 oz box)*1/2 cup all purpose flour1 teaspoon saltfresh black pepper2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder (optional, Frontier brand is my fave)6 oz can of fried onions, divided*

Bring a pot of water to boil for the green beans. When ready, boil for about 7 minutes then drain.

Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions in olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute for 7 minutes more.

Mix the flour into the mushroom soup until very few lumps are left. Add to the pan along with the salt, peppers, and, if using, the nutritional yeast and vegetable broth powder. Stir often for about 10 minutes, until thickened.

Preheat oven to 375. Add the green beans to the pan and use your spatula chop them up a bit into smaller pieces (roughly in half). Mix in half of the fried onions. Transfer to an oiled casserole and top with the remaining onions. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until browned and bubbly. For yummiest results, let cool for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.

*A few words about finding vegan ingredients. The box of creamy mushroom soup is made by Imagine, and I believe they may have more than one vegan version. I remember a non-portobello one, but this year I couldn’t find it. But this is definitely vegan, for reference. Your Whole Foods will have it, but I bet it’s in well stocked groceries as well. As for the fried onions, French’s, the most popular brand, has Propylene Glycol, which seems to be questionably vegan and is, in any case, one of the main ingredients in under arm deodorant. Does that make you hungry? Probably not. Look for organic ones in your friendly neighborhood health food store. Here’s one brand from Holland, for reference. Last year Food Fight was carrying some good ones. But I had no problem finding them at a normalish grocery store in Portland.

-

Erica

Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:43 PM

Does any one have a t & t vegan green bean casserole recipe? I made one last year, don't remember where I got the recipe from, but I didn't like it too much. All the other vegheads liked it and even some of the non vegi people, but I didn't really care for it. I can find a ton if I do a search online, but I would like one that has been tried a favored by someone already. Thank you!

t & t = tried and try

Dena Jo Nov 20, 2009 5:10 PM Re: Vegan Green bean casserole

I don't know what t & t means, but Isa Moskowitz posted a link to this recipe on Facebook just this afternoon.

Dena

This recipe is pretty flexible in terms of what kind of dish to use. My favorite is this 10×10 casserole I have, but if you don’t have that size, I’ve done it in an 11×13 pan and it was fine, just a little thinner. You can also double it for deeper casseroles. You’ll see that two of the ingredients are optional. I’ve done this with nutritional yeast and broth powder, and without. Those optional ingredients definitely add flavor, but you don’t miss ‘em too much if they’re not around.

4 cups green beans (1 lb), fresh or frozen (ends chopped if fresh)2 tablespoons olive oil1 small onion, finely chopped2 cups sliced mushrooms4 cups creamy mushroom soup (one 16 oz box)*1/2 cup all purpose flour1 teaspoon saltfresh black pepper2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder (optional, Frontier brand is my fave)6 oz can of fried onions, divided*

Bring a pot of water to boil for the green beans. When ready, boil for about 7 minutes then drain.

Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onions in olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute for 7 minutes more.

Mix the flour into the mushroom soup until very few lumps are left. Add to the pan along with the salt, peppers, and, if using, the nutritional yeast and vegetable broth powder. Stir often for about 10 minutes, until thickened.

Preheat oven to 375. Add the green beans to the pan and use your spatula chop them up a bit into smaller pieces (roughly in half). Mix in half of the fried onions. Transfer to an oiled casserole and top with the remaining onions. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until browned and bubbly. For yummiest results, let cool for at least 1/2 an hour before serving.

*A few words about finding vegan ingredients. The box of creamy mushroom soup is made by Imagine, and I believe they may have more than one vegan version. I remember a non-portobello one, but this year I couldnÂ’t find it. But this is definitely vegan, for reference. Your Whole Foods will have it, but I bet itÂ’s in well stocked groceries as well. As for the fried onions, FrenchÂ’s, the most popular brand, has Propylene Glycol, which seems to be questionably vegan and is, in any case, one of the main ingredients in under arm deodorant. Does that make you hungry? Probably not. Look for organic ones in your friendly neighborhood health food store. HereÂ’s one brand from Holland, for reference. Last year Food Fight was carrying some good ones. But I had no problem finding them at a normalish grocery store in Portland.

-

Erica

Does any one have a t & t vegan green bean casserole recipe? I made one last year, don't remember where I got the recipe from, but I didn't like it too much. All the other vegheads liked it and even some of the non vegi people, but I didn't really care for it. I can find a ton if I do a search online, but I would like one that has been tried a favored by someone already. Thank you!

i meant tried and true....

fraggle Nov 20, 2009 9:21 PM Re: Vegan Green bean casserole

t & t = tried and try

Dena

*A few words about finding vegan ingredients. The box of creamy mushroom soup is made by Imagine, and I believe they may have more than one vegan version. I remember a non-portobello one, but this year I couldnÂ’t find it. But this is definitely vegan, for reference. Your Whole Foods will have it, but I bet itÂ’s in well stocked groceries as well. As for the fried onions, FrenchÂ’s, the most popular brand, has Propylene Glycol, which seems to be questionably vegan and is, in any case, one of the main ingredients in under arm deodorant. Does that make you hungry? Probably not. Look for organic ones in your friendly neighborhood health food store. HereÂ’s one brand from Holland, for reference. Last year Food Fight was carrying some good ones. But I had no problem finding them at a normalish grocery store in Portland.

-

Erica

I figured.

Dena

-

fraggle

Friday, November 20, 2009 7:39 PM

Re: Vegan Green bean casserole

i meant tried and true....

fraggle Nov 20, 2009 9:21 PM Re: Vegan Green bean casserole

t & t = tried and try

Dena

-

Erica

thank you for all your responses. I went to the gentlethanksgiving website and printed out the recipes there. My daughter was very excited about their pumpkin pie recipe! Thank you!"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

• 2 weeks later...

I made this for Thanksgiving and my

omnivore friend and I both liked it better than ‘traditional’ green

bean casserole.

Judy

On Behalf Of Mikes_kitten

thank you for all your responses. I went to the

gentlethanksgiving website and printed out the recipes there. My daughter was

very excited about their pumpkin pie recipe! Thank you!

" Life is as dear to a mute

creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just

as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet,

His Holiness, The XIV