IndiaDivine.org

RE: What are you eating?/Miso

Rate this topic

Guest guest

the tub of miso is the traditional paste form.

once its opened, it can keep for several months in the fridge (certain styles last longer then others), or 1-2 weeks at room temeperature.

you use one to two spoonfuls of it for soup, again depending on the style and your taste preferences.

Miso is a fermented product of soybeans, or rice and soybeans, or barley, or any number of grains/beans nowadays. therefore, like most fermented products it has a longer shelf life.

as for powdered vs paste, i would assume its along the smae lines as making a soup with fresh or frozen vegeatbles or opening a cup of noodles package

and remember, you shouldn't boil miso. add it toward the end. boiling it will not only affect the flavor, but de-nature vitamins and enzymes present in the miso

cheers

fraggle

Underwood-Fowler Cindy Dec 1, 2009 12:35 PM RE: What are you eating?

I love beans but haven't got into the habit of using them as a staple yet, must try using them more often!

Miso soup - that reminds me, can anyone tell me about miso? I've tried miso soup, ie the sachets of powdered stuff you add hot water to like a cup-a-soup. I've also seen miso in the health food shop as a sort of thick pasty substance in a vacuum sealed plastic pack. That kind is pretty expensive so I've never tried it, does anyone know what it's like taste wise compared to the powdered sachets? How much of it do you use, what for, and how? And when you've opened a pack, how long does it keep for? If you only need a little and it keeps for a long time then it might be worth me buying one, but if one packet only does one meal then it's probably too expensive for me right now.

Opalline

Last night we had miso soup with lots of tofu added, mushrooms, green onions, and rice noodles - very filling. I made pinto beans yesterday and plan to have bean and potato burritos with lots and lots of green chile with garlic.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

Oh, that makes sense - I think I'll buy a pack then because it sounds like it'll be worth the price, will actually keep long enough for me to use it all, and will probably taste better than the powder too.

Thanks Fraggle and CeAnne :)

Opalline

>> the tub of miso is the traditional paste form.

once its opened, it can keep for several months in the fridge (certain styles last longer then others), or 1-2 weeks at room temeperature.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."