IndiaDivine.org

Being driven crazy---

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OK, friends. People who have been around me for awhile on this list know that I have a tendency to fret to the point of distraction when something animal welfare related confuses me and I cannot work it out in my head. For example, a long time ago, the actor on "Love Boat", Fred Grandy, who is a LOUD Vegan, was voicing egg commercials on his radio show in Washington, D.C., and I had to pull over on the way to work and beat my forehead against the steering wheel a few times. I believe fraggle eventually helped me work it out by suggesting a good beer (for after work!) and that seemed to help the confusion abate.

Well, I have another stumper for you.

I honestly would like your opinion because the paradox here (is that the word I want?) is making my eyes cross.

1. The Rocky Reach Dam in Wenatchee, Washington state, provides electricity to 9 million homes in the greater Seattle area. It was built in 1958, I think.

2. The baby Chinook salmon who are born up in Canada and come down the Columbia River to get to the ocean are blocked from getting to said ocean because the Dam is ON the Columbia River.

3. The Rocky Reach Dam built a giant 1-2 mile fish bypass around the dam, so that the baby salmon flow into what is in reality something that looks like a giant sewer pipe, and they get pushed through the pipe, around the dam, and then they flow back into the Columbia River below the dam.

OK, so far, so good, or kind of good, I guess.

NOW:

4. The Dam has to prove that the fish bypass is working in order to keep the dam in operation. Enter the scientists.

5. The Dam has a fish bypass section that does the following:

a. They bleed off several hundred baby Chinook salmon into a holding tank.

b. They sedate them (they actually go belly up).

c. They weigh them, inspect them, etc.

(This is where it gets good.)

d. One by one, they take a sleeping fish. They CUT OPEN ITS STOMACH. They CRACK ITS RIBS. They insert a sonic tracking device into its gut. They SEW IT SHUT. Then they release it back into the holding tank and I guess they wake up.

e. There are devices up along the fish bypass, and perhaps the Columbia River - I cannot remember-, that read the sonic noise that comes off these fishes with the devices in their gut, for tracking purposes, I guess. I guess in this way they are finding out if enough of the fish tagged BEFORE the fish bypass are making it to the END of the bypass.

(Oh, and one more thing-)

f. After the fish are tagged, they enter a holding area. When they are released, I guess, the Dam scientists climb around in the holding area with electronic equipment to recover devices that have ALREADY COME OUT OF THE FISH. How have they already come out of the fish???

So. 9 million people need electricity. Baby Chinook salmon need to reach the ocean. The Rocky Reach Dam needs to prove the bypass is working.

What do you think?

I have a headache now and I need to lay down with a cold cloth. I am sure there is an answer to this riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a conundrum, but I cannot see it.

Cyn

Excuse my language, but what the hell??? It's almost as though we have too much damn money, so we piss it away on stupid, insidious crap. Sorry, but I in no way can help you understand this one! It must take a certain kind of mind that I don't have. ~~Vicky"cyn84074" <cyn84074 Sent: Tue, December 8, 2009 6:05:19 PM Being driven crazy---

OK, friends. People who have been around me for awhile on this list know that I have a tendency to fret to the point of distraction when something animal welfare related confuses me and I cannot work it out in my head. For example, a long time ago, the actor on "Love Boat", Fred Grandy, who is a LOUD Vegan, was voicing egg commercials on his radio show in Washington, D.C., and I had to pull over on the way to work and beat my forehead against the steering wheel a few times. I believe fraggle eventually helped me work it out by suggesting a good beer (for after work!) and that seemed to help the confusion abate.

Well, I have another stumper for you.

I honestly would like your opinion because the paradox here (is that the word I want?) is making my eyes cross.

1. The Rocky Reach Dam in Wenatchee, Washington state, provides electricity to 9 million homes in the greater Seattle area. It was built in 1958, I think.

2. The baby Chinook salmon who are born up in Canada and come down the Columbia River to get to the ocean are blocked from getting to said ocean because the Dam is ON the Columbia River.

3. The Rocky Reach Dam built a giant 1-2 mile fish bypass around the dam, so that the baby salmon flow into what is in reality something that looks like a giant sewer pipe, and they get pushed through the pipe, around the dam, and then they flow back into the Columbia River below the dam.

OK, so far, so good, or kind of good, I guess.

NOW:

4. The Dam has to prove that the fish bypass is working in order to keep the dam in operation. Enter the scientists.

5. The Dam has a fish bypass section that does the following:

a. They bleed off several hundred baby Chinook salmon into a holding tank.

b. They sedate them (they actually go belly up).

c. They weigh them, inspect them, etc.

(This is where it gets good.)

d. One by one, they take a sleeping fish. They CUT OPEN ITS STOMACH. They CRACK ITS RIBS. They insert a sonic tracking device into its gut. They SEW IT SHUT. Then they release it back into the holding tank and I guess they wake up.

e. There are devices up along the fish bypass, and perhaps the Columbia River - I cannot remember-, that read the sonic noise that comes off these fishes with the devices in their gut, for tracking purposes, I guess. I guess in this way they are finding out if enough of the fish tagged BEFORE the fish bypass are making it to the END of the bypass.

(Oh, and one more thing-)

f. After the fish are tagged, they enter a holding area. When they are released, I guess, the Dam scientists climb around in the holding area with electronic equipment to recover devices that have ALREADY COME OUT OF THE FISH. How have they already come out of the fish???

So. 9 million people need electricity. Baby Chinook salmon need to reach the ocean. The Rocky Reach Dam needs to prove the bypass is working.

What do you think?

I have a headache now and I need to lay down with a cold cloth. I am sure there is an answer to this riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a conundrum, but I cannot see it.

Cyn

I can't see any need to tag them. I feel the same with the way migrating birds

are caught and tagged.

Jo

, cyn84074 wrote:

>

> OK, friends. People who have been around me for awhile on this list know

> that I have a tendency to fret to the point of distraction when something

> animal welfare related confuses me and I cannot work it out in my head. For

> example, a long time ago, the actor on " Love Boat " , Fred Grandy, who is a

> LOUD Vegan, was voicing egg commercials on his radio show in Washington,

D.C.,

> and I had to pull over on the way to work and beat my forehead against the

> steering wheel a few times. I believe fraggle eventually helped me work

> it out by suggesting a good beer (for after work!) and that seemed to help

> the confusion abate.

>

> Well, I have another stumper for you.

>

> I honestly would like your opinion because the paradox here (is that the

> word I want?) is making my eyes cross.

>

> 1. The Rocky Reach Dam in Wenatchee, Washington state, provides electricity

> to 9 million homes in the greater Seattle area. It was built in 1958, I

> think.

>

> 2. The baby Chinook salmon who are born up in Canada and come down the

> Columbia River to get to the ocean are blocked from getting to said ocean

> because the Dam is ON the Columbia River.

>

> 3. The Rocky Reach Dam built a giant 1-2 mile fish bypass around the dam,

> so that the baby salmon flow into what is in reality something that looks

> like a giant sewer pipe, and they get pushed through the pipe, around the

> dam, and then they flow back into the Columbia River below the dam.

>

> OK, so far, so good, or kind of good, I guess.

>

> NOW:

>

> 4. The Dam has to prove that the fish bypass is working in order to keep

> the dam in operation. Enter the scientists.

>

> 5. The Dam has a fish bypass section that does the following:

>

> a. They bleed off several hundred baby Chinook salmon into a holding tank.

> b. They sedate them (they actually go belly up).

> c. They weigh them, inspect them, etc.

> (This is where it gets good.)

> d. One by one, they take a sleeping fish. They CUT OPEN ITS STOMACH.

> They CRACK ITS RIBS. They insert a sonic tracking device into its gut. They

> SEW IT SHUT. Then they release it back into the holding tank and I guess

> they wake up.

> e. There are devices up along the fish bypass, and perhaps the Columbia

> River - I cannot remember-, that read the sonic noise that comes off these

> fishes with the devices in their gut, for tracking purposes, I guess. I

> guess in this way they are finding out if enough of the fish tagged BEFORE the

> fish bypass are making it to the END of the bypass.

> (Oh, and one more thing-)

> f. After the fish are tagged, they enter a holding area. When they are

> released, I guess, the Dam scientists climb around in the holding area with

> electronic equipment to recover devices that have ALREADY COME OUT OF THE

> FISH. How have they already come out of the fish???

>

> So. 9 million people need electricity. Baby Chinook salmon need to reach

> the ocean. The Rocky Reach Dam needs to prove the bypass is working.

>

> What do you think?

>

> I have a headache now and I need to lay down with a cold cloth. I am sure

> there is an answer to this riddle wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a

> conundrum, but I cannot see it.

>

> Cyn

>