Rate this topic

Guest guest

*puts potato next to dog*

*looks into both their eyes*

ummm...

yer right, i'm sold

*tosses dog into crock pot*

sorry, that article was just silly.

and obviously written by someone who has issues with their diet as said in the article. just trying to make themselves feel better.

"i eat duck, but its the same as an apple, so vegetarians are just as bad as me"

its a silly argument.

Anouk Dec 22, 2009 1:21 PM Vegan_Animal_Rights , veganchat , vegaNZchat Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's, Science Section.. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

It is silly fraggle.

I agree that plants do some awesome things but this is just another person

trying to justify their meat eating.

All those animals she eats also eat PLANTS!

What's a vegan to do?Patricia--- On Tue, 12/22/09, Anouk <zurumato wrote:Anouk <zurumato Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live"Vegan_Animal_Rights" <Vegan_Animal_Rights >, "veganchat" , "vegaNZchat" <veganzchat >Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 10:21 AM Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's, Science Section.. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Interesting article but there is a world of difference between plants reacting to stimulus and for example a dairy cow crying out for the calf taken away from it and trying to look for it.People will do anything to comfort themselves and what they do by doing down the actions of others than considering what they themselves could improve.

Alicia x

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

What's a vegan to do?Patricia--- On Tue, 12/22/09, Anouk <zurumato wrote:

Anouk <zurumato Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

" Vegan_Animal_Rights " <Vegan_Animal_Rights >, " veganchat " , " vegaNZchat " <veganzchat >

Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 10:21 AM  Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's,  Science Section.. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html

---To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>     /<*> Your email settings:    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:    /join    ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email:

-digest     -fullfeatured

<*>

I have just recently become vegan after being vegetarian all my life and I never realised people would be so very offended by it. My boyfriends always pulling the 'plants are living things too but you eat them' card! I don't even bother to answer him!Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong Sent: Tue,

December 22, 2009 11:40:55 PMRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

Interesting article but there is a world of difference between plants reacting to stimulus and for example a dairy cow crying out for the calf taken away from it and trying to look for it.People will do anything to comfort themselves and what they do by doing down the actions of others than considering what they themselves could improve.

Alicia x

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 > wrote:

What's a vegan to do?Patricia--- On Tue, 12/22/09, Anouk <zurumato > wrote:

Anouk <zurumato > Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

"Vegan_Animal_ Rights" <Vegan_Animal_ Rights@grou ps.com>, "veganchat" <@gro ups.com>, "vegaNZchat" <veganzchat@gro ups.com>

Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 10:21 AM Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's, Science Section.. http://www.nytimes. com/2009/ 12/22/science/ 22angi.html

------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

People are strange.

Jo

-

Sian Moffat

Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:15 AM

Re: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

I have just recently become vegan after being vegetarian all my life and I never realised people would be so very offended by it. My boyfriends always pulling the 'plants are living things too but you eat them' card! I don't even bother to answer him!

Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong (AT) googlemail (DOT) com> Sent: Tue, December 22, 2009 11:40:55 PMRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

Interesting article but there is a world of difference between plants reacting to stimulus and for example a dairy cow crying out for the calf taken away from it and trying to look for it.People will do anything to comfort themselves and what they do by doing down the actions of others than considering what they themselves could improve.Alicia x

Anouk <zurumato > Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live"Vegan_Animal_ Rights" <Vegan_Animal_ Rights@grou ps.com>, "veganchat" <@gro ups.com>, "vegaNZchat" <veganzchat@gro ups.com>Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 10:21 AM

Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's, Science Section.. http://www.nytimes. com/2009/ 12/22/science/ 22angi.html------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

I've had people act like I've become a Communist just because I don't eat animals. It's just not American, you know.Patricia--- On Thu, 12/24/09, jo.heartwork <jo.heartwork wrote:jo.heartwork <jo.heartworkRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 10:21 AM

People are strange.

Jo

-

Sian Moffat

Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:15 AM

I have just recently become vegan after being vegetarian all my life and I never realised people would be so very offended by it. My boyfriends always pulling the 'plants are living things too but you eat them' card! I don't even bother to answer him!

Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong @googlemail. com>@gro ups.comTue, December 22, 2009 11:40:55 PMRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live

Interesting article but there is a world of difference between plants reacting to stimulus and for example a dairy cow crying out for the calf taken away from it and trying to look for it.People will do anything to comfort themselves and what they do by doing down the actions of others than considering what they themselves could improve.Alicia x

Anouk <zurumato > Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live"Vegan_Animal_ Rights" <Vegan_Animal_ Rights@grou ps.com>, "veganchat" <@gro ups.com>, "vegaNZchat" <veganzchat@gro ups.com>Tuesday, December 22, 2009, 10:21 AM

Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live too. Grrr.. This is in Today's NYT's, Science Section.. http://www.nytimes. com/2009/ 12/22/science/ 22angi.html------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

I hear you! I've had people take great offense because I choose not to eat

animals. I don't know why they feel so threatened, but whatever.

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants

happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other

creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Its weird how some people are. Its like they think you are doing it just to be difficult or trying to offend them or something.Alicia x

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:

I hear you! I've had people take great offense because I choose not to eat animals. I don't know why they feel so threatened, but whatever.

Missie Harhold

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures. "

They act like we want to take their meat away from them, especially men. Women usually say things like," Oh, that's really cool; I don't eat that much meat myself, I mostly just eat fish and chicken".Patricia--- On Thu, 12/24/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddogRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 3:06 PMI hear you! I've had people take great offense because I choose not to eat animals. I don't know why they feel so threatened, but

whatever.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV ---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email

settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I have not found that difference with the sexes. I have had three nasty comments from people about not eating meat - two from women, one from a man - and the comments from the women were much more nasty than that from the man.

Jo

-

Patricia

Friday, December 25, 2009 6:35 AM

They act like we want to take their meat away from them, especially men. Women usually say things like," Oh, that's really cool; I don't eat that much meat myself, I mostly just eat fish and chicken".Patricia--- On Thu, 12/24/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Re: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 3:06 PM

I hear you! I've had people take great offense because I choose not to eat animals. I don't know why they feel so threatened, but whatever.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog (AT) earthlink (DOT) net"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV ---To send an email to -

You know, the funny thing is my brother is pretty good with it. He was a little surprised at first and didn't know quite how to react - especially to my husband also not eating meat (he's 6 ft 1, lifts weights and played high school and some college football). But he has been very positive about the whole thing. His wife is the one that is weird about it. It's like she's mad at us for not eating meat. Get over it!

Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the GreyhoundgreyhounddogThey act like we want to take their meat away from them, especially men. Women usually say things like," Oh, that's really cool; I don't eat that much meat myself, I mostly just eat fish and chicken".Patricia"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

I have not had any problems with the men in my family, just outsiders.Patricia--- On Fri, 12/25/09, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddogRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 7:05 AM

You know, the funny thing is my brother is pretty good with it. He was a little surprised at first and didn't know quite how to react - especially to my husband also not eating meat (he's 6 ft 1, lifts weights and played high school and some college football). But he has been very positive about the whole thing. His wife is the one that is weird about it. It's like she's mad at us for not eating meat. Get over it!

Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the GreyhoundgreyhounddogThey act like we want to take their meat away from them, especially men. Women usually say things like," Oh, that's really cool; I don't eat that much meat myself, I mostly just eat fish and chicken".Patricia"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Very true.Patricia--- On Thu, 12/24/09, Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrong wrote:Alicia <ms.alicia.armstrongRe: Sorry Vegans, Brussel Sprouts like to live Date: Thursday, December 24, 2009, 7:11 PM

Its weird how some people are. Its like they think you are doing it just to be difficult or trying to offend them or something.Alicia x

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:

I hear you! I've had people take great offense because I choose not to eat animals. I don't know why they feel so threatened, but whatever.

Missie Harhold

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."

• 2 weeks later...

Believe me, Im a serious nature freak, tree hugger :) I LOVE plants. GREEN is

what makes the planet go 'round :)

But I do believe there are plants specifically designed for us to eat. I do

believe plants may feel pain, and also have a longing to live live as well, but

that doesnt compare anything to a poor living, breathing, bleeding animal who

feels pain, and horror, terror, and all HUMAN emotions.

There is a HUGE difference between plant life (from the cabbage int he garden to

the deer in the field!) and animals. A plant can be eating, and still grow back

because its roots are still alive, this is A HUGE difference between eating an

animal and a plant.

Mercedez

but you know that insects die when you pull carrots out of the ground or cut

wheat from the field. Is that vegan to harvest veggies when bugs die? Lets

think about it.

, " Kerby " <Dragonheart_Kitty wrote:

>

> Believe me, Im a serious nature freak, tree hugger :) I LOVE plants. GREEN is

what makes the planet go 'round :)

>

> But I do believe there are plants specifically designed for us to eat. I do

>

> There is a HUGE difference between plant life (from the cabbage int he garden

to the deer in the field!) and animals. A plant can be eating, and still grow

back because its roots are still alive, this is A HUGE difference between eating

an animal and a plant.

>

> Mercedez

>

It's quite a step from some accidental deaths to willingly killing things, don't

you think???

If someone really believes that they should not cause the death of anything

else, then surely they would kill themselves as just being around and walking

would mean killing lots of things.

This is an argument used by anti-vegans to suggest that if you cannot go the

hole hog then you shouldn't bother to try at all.

Jo

, " lhundrup108 " <lhundrup108 wrote:

>

> but you know that insects die when you pull carrots out of the ground or cut

think about it.

>

> , " Kerby " <Dragonheart_Kitty@> wrote:

> >

> > Believe me, Im a serious nature freak, tree hugger :) I LOVE plants. GREEN

is what makes the planet go 'round :)

> >

> > But I do believe there are plants specifically designed for us to eat. I do

> >

> > There is a HUGE difference between plant life (from the cabbage int he

garden to the deer in the field!) and animals. A plant can be eating, and still

grow back because its roots are still alive, this is A HUGE difference between

eating an animal and a plant.

> >

> > Mercedez

> >

>

The point about veganism is to strive to minimise suffering to other sentient

beings. Of course accidental injury and death will happen when harvesting crops

or walking on a pavement but at least it isn't a conscious effort to kill. As

for eating creatures killed on the road or other accidents - as far as I'm

concerned it would be disrespectful to eat them. It's not as if we are forced by

starvation or illness to eat a carcass. That run-over game bird had a right to

live its life in peace from us, and that extends to its body after it's died,

more so if a human caused its demise, accidentally or not.

Just my opinion.

Geoff

http://geoffnelder.com

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> It's quite a step from some accidental deaths to willingly killing things,

don't you think???

>

> If someone really believes that they should not cause the death of anything

else, then surely they would kill themselves as just being around and walking

would mean killing lots of things.

>

> This is an argument used by anti-vegans to suggest that if you cannot go the

hole hog then you shouldn't bother to try at all.

>

> Jo

>

> , " lhundrup108 " <lhundrup108@> wrote:

> >

> > but you know that insects die when you pull carrots out of the ground or cut

think about it.

> >

> > , " Kerby " <Dragonheart_Kitty@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Believe me, Im a serious nature freak, tree hugger :) I LOVE plants. GREEN

is what makes the planet go 'round :)

> > >

> > > But I do believe there are plants specifically designed for us to eat. I

do believe plants may feel pain, and also have a longing to live live as well,

but that doesnt compare anything to a poor living, breathing, bleeding animal

who feels pain, and horror, terror, and all HUMAN emotions.

> > >

> > > There is a HUGE difference between plant life (from the cabbage int he

garden to the deer in the field!) and animals. A plant can be eating, and still

grow back because its roots are still alive, this is A HUGE difference between

eating an animal and a plant.

> > >

> > > Mercedez

> > >

> >

>