IndiaDivine.org

cows and milk.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The answer would be no. Cows produce milk for their babies same as human women do not always have milk.As far as friendly farms I can't see how that would be possible since they would have to pull the calves from the mother in order to collect the milk. And calves and mothers both are caused undu suffering when they are seperated.Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 2, 2010, at 9:02 PM, "sprightcat" <sprightcat wrote:

I know nothing about cows and would like to be educated. Do cows need to be milked other than when they are pregnant? I think they do. Are there any...and don't get mad, i am just asking....are there any "friendly farms" that actually make cheese from cows that they raise and not slaughter? The reason i am asking is that my husband is not vegan,I am, but he is coming around to changing over to alot of cruelty free things. I thought that somewhere there has to be friendly type farm. if you know of any place like this, could you please let me know. I know it is an unusual question, but i hope you know where i am coming from.

At 2:02 AM +0000 1/3/10, sprightcat wrote:

>I know nothing about cows and would like to be educated. Do cows

>need to be milked other than when they are pregnant? I think they

>do. Are there any...and don't get mad, i am just asking....are there

>any " friendly farms " that actually make cheese from cows that they

>raise and not slaughter? The reason i am asking is that my husband

>is not vegan,I am, but he is coming around to changing over to alot

>of cruelty free things. I thought that somewhere there has to be

>friendly type farm. if you know of any place like this, could you

>please let me know. I know it is an unusual question, but i hope you

>know where i am coming from.

>>

Most dairy cows are kept in huge factory-size warehouses and hooked

up to milking machines and never see the sky, much less a blade of

grass.

A cow that is not in a factory farm -- a storybook cow that frolics

through the fields -- would no doubt give all her milk to her calf.

If the calf is taken away, then the cow would need to be milked.

Like a human mother, a cow needs to be made pregnant to lactate. When the calf is born it is soon taken away (we can hear them crying along with their mothers when this happens as we live within half a mile of a dairy farm). The cows are then milked twice day to optimise milk production. As long as she is milked she will keep producing milk for several months - then made pregnant again. If the cow is getting too old and her milk production falls, then she is slaughtered.

In the UK there are a few free range / organic farms where although the calf is still taken away the cows are allowed outside - except in the worst of winter - and allowed to live to a ripe old age even if their milk production is very low.

Bottom line is that dairying is a business - profit is the primary motive. With organisations such as Compassion in World Farming, vegans and others are persuading farmers with a conscience to behave more considerately.

Yarrow, I too have a spouse who eats cheese, etc. Over the years I have persuaded her to buy cheese from organic and free range farms, and which is made using vegetable rennet. Generally cheese is made using not only milk but the rennet from the lining of a calf's stomach. That means calves are killed not only for humans to drink milk intended for the baby cows but for their stomach linings too. The rest of their meat is sold as veal. The whole business is so far from the kid's school view of sunshine, happy lambs and cows it is sickening.

If aliens ever arrived and judged Humanity not only on the way it treats its elderly but the way it treats other sentient creatures we'd be wiped out as a possible contimaniting species - a danger to the universe.

Try to be positive though - there are more vegans and thinking veggies than there used to be.

All the best for 2010.

Geoff

blog Own a copy of Escape Velocity

Geoff's website--- On Sun, 1/3/10, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: cows and milk. Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 5:45 AM

At 2:02 AM +0000 1/3/10, sprightcat wrote:>I know nothing about cows and would like to be educated. Do cows >need to be milked other than when they are pregnant? I think they >do. Are there any...and don't get mad, i am just asking....are there >any "friendly farms" that actually make cheese from cows that they >raise and not slaughter? The reason i am asking is that my husband >is not vegan,I am, but he is coming around to changing over to alot >of cruelty free things. I thought that somewhere there has to be >friendly type farm. if you know of any place like this, could you >please let me know. I know it is an unusual question, but i hope you >know where i am coming from.>>Most dairy cows are kept in huge factory-size warehouses and hooked up to milking machines and never see the sky, much less a blade of grass.A cow that is not in a factory

farm -- a storybook cow that frolics through the fields -- would no doubt give all her milk to her calf. If the calf is taken away, then the cow would need to be milked.

In order for a mammal to produce milk it needs to have been pregnant, to

maintain a good milk supply it needs to be suckling its infant. Dairy cows are

in a constant cycle of pregnancy and lactation in order to produce milk. The

only happy cow would be one who suckled its own calf.

, " sprightcat " <sprightcat wrote:

>

> I know nothing about cows and would like to be educated. Do cows need to be

milked other than when they are pregnant? I think they do. Are there any...and

don't get mad, i am just asking....are there any " friendly farms " that actually

make cheese from cows that they raise and not slaughter? The reason i am asking

is that my husband is not vegan,I am, but he is coming around to changing over

to alot of cruelty free things. I thought that somewhere there has to be

friendly type farm. if you know of any place like this, could you please let me

know. I know it is an unusual question, but i hope you know where i am coming

from.

>

and in addition to what others have said, to keep a cow lactating past her "normal" cycle, she is pumped full of hormones to keep her producing.

so, not only is a cow pregnated, then her calf taken away, she is then pumped full of chemicals to keep her producing.

sprightcat Jan 2, 2010 9:02 PM cows and milk.

I know nothing about cows and would like to be educated. Do cows need to be milked other than when they are pregnant? I think they do. Are there any...and don't get mad, i am just asking....are there any "friendly farms" that actually make cheese from cows that they raise and not slaughter? The reason i am asking is that my husband is not vegan,I am, but he is coming around to changing over to alot of cruelty free things. I thought that somewhere there has to be friendly type farm. if you know of any place like this, could you please let me know. I know it is an unusual question, but i hope you know where i am coming from.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

That's true; they are milked nearly to death.Patricia--- On Sun, 1/3/10, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: cows and milk. Date: Sunday, January 3, 2010, 7:18 AM

and in addition to what others have said, to keep a cow lactating past her "normal" cycle, she is pumped full of hormones to keep her producing.

so, not only is a cow pregnated, then her calf taken away, she is then pumped full of chemicals to keep her producing.

sprightcat Jan 2, 2010 9:02 PM cows and milk.

TYou're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!