IndiaDivine.org

cruelty of milk on TV

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Re our discussion on milk and farming, I've just seen a vegan on the UK series

on TV Come Dine With Me. It helps that the vegan is a very attractive red-headed

woman (not too PC of me, sorry) but she put our case over very well indeed. :)

Geoff

Hi GeoffThat sounds great- I'd love to see what she made and how it went down! I've been to iplayer, but can't see which episode it was. Do you know if it was a repeat, or where it was set?Thanks!Beageoffnelder <geoffnelder Sent: Sun, 3 January, 2010 17:33:22 cruelty of milk on TV

Re our discussion on milk and farming, I've just seen a vegan on the UK series on TV Come Dine With Me. It helps that the vegan is a very attractive red-headed woman (not too PC of me, sorry) but she put our case over very well indeed. :)

Geoff

Bea,

I can't find it on iplayer either but I found her vegan recipes and photos here

http://bit.ly/12ZE7e

It seems the recent broadcast was a repeat from October 2009.

To be honest I veer away from fake meats - she uses a vegan bacon (made from soy) but I can understand that faced with meat eating guests she felt she needed to pander a little to their taste buds. At the end of the week, one of the meat-eating guests was so convinced of the cruelty of dairy / meat production that he pubicly declared he was giving veganism a go.

Always good to see a vegan being given airtime like this - and repeated - with no one deriding them.

Geoff

BTW I am on facebook if anyone else here is too. I am there as the only Geoff Nelder on facebook

blog Own a copy of Escape Velocity

Geoff's website--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta wrote:

bea mehta <beamehtaRe: cruelty of milk on TV Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 7:17 AM

Hi GeoffThat sounds great- I'd love to see what she made and how it went down! I've been to iplayer, but can't see which episode it was. Do you know if it was a repeat, or where it was set?Thanks!Bea

geoffnelder <geoffnelder@ >@gro ups.comSun, 3 January, 2010 17:33:22 cruelty of milk on TV

Re our discussion on milk and farming, I've just seen a vegan on the UK series on TV Come Dine With Me. It helps that the vegan is a very attractive red-headed woman (not too PC of me, sorry) but she put our case over very well indeed. :)Geoff

http://www.scouseveg.co.uk/scouseveg-teevee/Just found the link, really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for mentioning it Geoff. I thought Nicky presented the vegan diet really attractively and she really succeeded in making veganism seem plausible to four meat eaters! Beabea mehta <beamehtaTo:

Sent: Mon, 4 January, 2010 7:17:23Re: cruelty of milk on TV

Hi GeoffThat sounds great- I'd love to see what she made and how it went down! I've been to iplayer, but can't see which episode it was. Do you know if it was a repeat, or where it was set?Thanks!Beageoffnelder <geoffnelder@ >@gro ups.comSun, 3 January, 2010 17:33:22 cruelty of milk on TV

Re our discussion on milk and farming, I've just seen a vegan on the UK series on TV Come Dine With Me. It helps that the vegan is a very attractive red-headed woman (not too PC of me, sorry) but she put our case over very well indeed. :)

Geoff

Hi GeoffI completely agree- it was very heartening to see how much the vegan food was enjoyed, by people who maybe hadn't necessarily come across or been presented with excellent vegan food before. I'm with you on the mock meats- personally they resemble the real thing too much for me, but they definitely have their place- for people who like meat and want to reduce the amount they eat. Plus, for children I find them quite useful. I've twins who are four, and one of them seems to naturally go towards plant-based foods and reject the mock meats, whereas the other does like vegan sausages etc. I'm going to make that curry next weekend! I guess the chocolate desert with tofu does taste distinctly different to people who are used to the flavour of dairy, creamy chocolate mousses

(from what I remember). I used to love dairy milk chocolate, but have found so true a comment made by Isa Chandra Moskowitz- your taste buds catch up with your ethics...BeaGeoff Nelder <geoffnelder Sent: Mon, 4 January, 2010 13:10:35Re: cruelty of milk on TV

Bea,

I can't find it on iplayer either but I found her vegan recipes and photos here

http://bit.ly/ 12ZE7e

It seems the recent broadcast was a repeat from October 2009.

To be honest I veer away from fake meats - she uses a vegan bacon (made from soy) but I can understand that faced with meat eating guests she felt she needed to pander a little to their taste buds. At the end of the week, one of the meat-eating guests was so convinced of the cruelty of dairy / meat production that he pubicly declared he was giving veganism a go.

Always good to see a vegan being given airtime like this - and repeated - with no one deriding them.

Geoff

BTW I am on facebook if anyone else here is too. I am there as the only Geoff Nelder on facebook

blog Own a copy of Escape Velocity

Geoff's website--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: cruelty of milk on TV@gro ups.comMonday, January 4, 2010, 7:17 AM

Hi GeoffThat sounds great- I'd love to see what she made and how it went down! I've been to iplayer, but can't see which episode it was. Do you know if it was a repeat, or where it was set?Thanks!Bea

geoffnelder <geoffnelder@ >@gro ups.comSun, 3 January, 2010 17:33:22 cruelty of milk on TV

Re our discussion on milk and farming, I've just seen a vegan on the UK series on TV Come Dine With Me. It helps that the vegan is a very attractive red-headed woman (not too PC of me, sorry) but she put our case over very well indeed. :)Geoff

I saw the video and am sorry to say her food was nothing I would eat except the mousse; I've made that many times. Eggplant and limp, cooked greens sounds nasty and I would never ruin an avocado by cooking it.Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta wrote:bea mehta <beamehtaRe: cruelty of milk on TV Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 5:56 AM

http://www.scouseveg.co.uk/scouseveg-teevee/Just found the link, really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for mentioning it Geoff. I thought Nicky presented the vegan diet really attractively and she really succeeded in making veganism seem plausible to four meat eaters! Beabea mehta <beamehtaTo:

Sent: Mon, 4 January, 2010 7:17:23Re: cruelty of milk on TV

Hi GeoffThat sounds great- I'd love to see what she made and how it went down! I've been to iplayer, but can't see which episode it was. Do you know if it was a repeat, or where it was set?Thanks!Beageoffnelder <geoffnelder@ >@gro ups.comSun, 3 January, 2010 17:33:22 cruelty of milk on TV

Geoff

I think that's why I'm so interested in the 'Come dine with me' clip. Sure, it's just one stand alone option for demonstrating how great a vegan diet can be... just one opportunity, against the backdrop of meat eating contestants (which is why I've avoided that programme before, don't want to watch cooking with meat).What would you make? Patricia <moondreamer64_2000To:

Sent: Mon, 4 January, 2010 21:13:20Re: cruelty of milk on TV

I saw the video and am sorry to say her food was nothing I would eat except the mousse; I've made that many times. Eggplant and limp, cooked greens sounds nasty and I would never ruin an avocado by cooking it.Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: cruelty of milk on TV@gro ups.comMonday, January 4, 2010, 5:56 AM

http://www.scouseve g.co.uk/scouseve g-teevee/Just found the link, really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for mentioning it Geoff. I thought Nicky presented the vegan diet really attractively and she really succeeded in making veganism seem plausible to four meat eaters! Beabea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk>To:

@gro ups.comMon, 4 January, 2010 7:17:23Re: cruelty of milk on TV

Geoff

I don't know what I'd make; I eat very simple food and about half is raw. There are some things I just can't stand such as: eggplant, good greens, cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, andyellow squash, Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta wrote:bea mehta <beamehtaRe: cruelty of milk on TV Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 1:22 PM

I think that's why I'm so interested in the 'Come dine with me' clip. Sure, it's just one stand alone option for demonstrating how great a vegan diet can be... just one opportunity, against the backdrop of meat eating contestants (which is why I've avoided that programme before, don't want to watch cooking with meat).What would you make? Patricia <moondreamer64_2000To:

Sent: Mon, 4 January, 2010 21:13:20Re: cruelty of milk on TV

I saw the video and am sorry to say her food was nothing I would eat except the mousse; I've made that many times. Eggplant and limp, cooked greens sounds nasty and I would never ruin an avocado by cooking it.Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:bea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: cruelty of milk on TV@gro ups.comMonday, January 4, 2010, 5:56 AM

http://www.scouseve g.co.uk/scouseve g-teevee/Just found the link, really enjoyed watching it. Thanks for mentioning it Geoff. I thought Nicky presented the vegan diet really attractively and she really succeeded in making veganism seem plausible to four meat eaters! Beabea mehta <beamehta (AT) (DOT) co.uk>To:

@gro ups.comMon, 4 January, 2010 7:17:23Re: cruelty of milk on TV

Geoff