IndiaDivine.org

Question About Pet Food

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy

intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely

vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better

health is a " by product " of that choice.

I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me and

I honestly don't have an answer:

If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,

why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indoor

animals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7

outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional

Purina canned food.

So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.

Cecelia

Hi there!

I'm a vegan and I have two cats that I feed regular cat food, although I am looking for vegan alternatives.. Unfortunately, I can not answer whether or not it is moral to feed animals meat products. I look at it this way-for humans, it is a choice to not eat meat. Domestic animals do not get that choice; they have to eat whatever we feed them (and if they were not domestic they would most likely be eating meat) I do hope to find a vegan cat food my cats will enjoy but I don't feel bad about letting them eat regular cat food. I think it just depends on what feels right to you.

Hope that helps a little,

Keely

csonsini1 <csonsini Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 5:15:42 PM Question About Pet Food

I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better health is a "by product" of that choice.I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me and I honestly don't have an answer:If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indooranimals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional Purina canned food.So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.Cecelia

I have not had a cat or dog since becoming vegetarian, but there are vegan foods

available for them.

My only pets since being vegetarian were budgies, and they are vegetarian.

Jo

, " csonsini1 " <csonsini wrote:

>

> I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my

dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely

vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better

health is a " by product " of that choice.

>

> I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me

and I honestly don't have an answer:

>

> If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,

> why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indoor

> animals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our

7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the

occasional Purina canned food.

>

> So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.

>

> Cecelia

>

I'm glad I no longer have pets because that would be a difficult thing to decide.Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, csonsini1 <csonsini wrote:csonsini1 <csonsini Question About Pet Food Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 5:15 PMI have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better health is a "by product" of that choice.I have a question that I would

like to pose because my partner asks it of me and I honestly don't have an answer:If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indooranimals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional Purina canned food.So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.Cecelia---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I would be worried about feeding a cat a vegan diet because they are true carnivores whereas dogs are omnivores.Patricia--- On Mon, 1/4/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Question About Pet Food Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 11:39 PMI have not had a cat or dog since becoming vegetarian, but there are vegan foods available for them. My only pets since being vegetarian were budgies, and they are vegetarian.Jo , "csonsini1" <csonsini wrote:>> I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better health is a "by product" of that choice.> > I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me and I honestly don't have an answer:> > If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,> why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indoor> animals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional Purina canned food.> > So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would

answer this question.> > Cecelia>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I obviously don't eat meat, but my dogs do. While it pains me to buy meat for

them, Jeanie is 11 and Gracie is almost 4. Both have eaten meat all of their

lives. My decision not to eat meat (or any animal products) is MY decision, not

theirs. And I can guarantee that my choice would not be their choice. Dogs are

opportunistic carnivores. Cats, as someone pointed out, are true carnivores.

If I stopped feeding them meat, I can promise you that they would find a way to

get it and I wouldn't like it (and neither would the neighborhood squirrels and

other critters that wander into our yard). I think it's one thing for us to

make a choice not to eat meat, but my personal feelings are that it's not right

for me to make that choice for my dogs. My mom will still bring over bits of

meat from her dinner to give to my dogs (she asked if it was ok and I thought

about it and said yes) on occasion. They don't get that from us anymore, so

when she brings it over, they go nutty even though their kibble and canned food

is meat based. For me, I based my decision to continue feeding them a meat

based diet on three things - it's what they have always been fed, they do well

health-wise on it (Jeanie has the beginnings of kidney disease and Gracie has

some irritable tummy issues and it was hard to find a food that didn't give her

chronic diarrhea - grains do not sit well with her at all, and finally, given

the choice, I guarantee they would choose to continue eating meat and I just

don't feel comfortable insisting they eat a diet that isn't really natural for

them).

Having said all of that, it is hard for me to reconcile my beliefs with my dogs'

diet. It does bother me to buy their food knowing that my money is supporting

the meat industry. But this is the decision that I believe my dogs would make

given the choice, and although I won't acquiesce to them on all decisions (for

example, no matter how much they want to explore the garbage cans, they aren't

going to do so) I think food is pretty basic thing and I think their wishes and

desires should be taken into heavy consideration. That's how I made my choice

to continue feeding them what I do. I'm sure others have different ideas and

thoughts.

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants

happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other

creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

Dogs are omnivores and can thrive just fine on a vegan diet. I have known many dogs to enjoy eating raw veg as a snack.There are several vegan dog foods on the market. Cats are trickier b/c they are true carnivores. My cats eat meat right now, but I know people with vegan cats that thrive. Here is a site on the subject to check out. http://vegancats.com/-Jennifer

it certainly is not an easy question to answer

i used to just say (as others here have already mentioned themselves) that "i'm vegan, i made the decision, i can't make it for them"

alas..ater a time, i was having a harder and harder time with it

there are a number of vegan and vegetarian pet foods out there.

that being said, our two dogs have been vegan all their lives, and are happy, healthy and bouncy. Shiuva is ten, and Ruby is 6.

now..the cats unfortunately, are another story. Vegan cat food is very hard to find. except for online, i rarely see it anymore in stores.

we tried raising our two rescue kitties on a vegan diet. complete diet with taurine. unfortunately, they were not gaining weight on it, and they had HORRIBLE diarrhea, so we ended switching.

now, did they have bad squirts because of the food? or because it was a new diet in a new home? i don't know. we just panicked and "jumped ship"

we feel pretty crappy each and everytime we have to buy them their food.

of course, we have an entire other issue now, as the pitbull resue pup has turned our household upside down at the moment. and for the record, she (Tessa) is doing fine on her vegan diet

csonsini1 Jan 4, 2010 8:15 PM Question About Pet Food

I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better health is a "by product" of that choice.I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me and I honestly don't have an answer:If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indooranimals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional Purina canned food.So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.Cecelia

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

My dog is going to be 8 in February, Im really contemplating on never having a

companion animal that requires a meat based diet. I do love my dog, and will

miss her VERY much when she goes... I dont know how Im going to handle losing

Lindy. I may get a smaller breed or dog, like Pomerarion or Yorkie, and put them

on a vegetarian dog food, like Natural Balance, Vegetarian formula.

I prefer natural vegetarian animals though, like Parrots :) I could never live

without Bokka, my U2 <3<3<3

Mercedez

You could always feed your cats vegan food - they will get meat when they go out to

kill little animals.

Jo

-----Original

Message-----

On Behalf

Of Jennifer Parrucci

05 January 2010 15:48

Re: Question

about Pet Food

Dogs are omnivores and

can thrive just fine on a vegan diet. I have known many dogs to enjoy eating

raw veg as a snack.There are several vegan dog foods on the market. Cats are

trickier b/c they are true carnivores. My cats eat meat right now, but I know

people with vegan cats that thrive. Here is a site on the subject to check

out. http://vegancats.com/

-Jennifer

I think your position is well stated and I can't argue with it.Patricia--- On Tue, 1/5/10, NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddog wrote:NATASHA HARHOLD <greyhounddogRe: Re: Question About Pet Food Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 7:21 AMI obviously don't eat meat, but my dogs do. While it pains me to buy meat for them, Jeanie is 11 and Gracie is almost 4. Both have eaten meat all of their lives. My decision not to eat meat (or any animal products) is MY decision, not theirs. And I can guarantee that my choice would

not be their choice. Dogs are opportunistic carnivores. Cats, as someone pointed out, are true carnivores. If I stopped feeding them meat, I can promise you that they would find a way to get it and I wouldn't like it (and neither would the neighborhood squirrels and other critters that wander into our yard). I think it's one thing for us to make a choice not to eat meat, but my personal feelings are that it's not right for me to make that choice for my dogs. My mom will still bring over bits of meat from her dinner to give to my dogs (she asked if it was ok and I thought about it and said yes) on occasion. They don't get that from us anymore, so when she brings it over, they go nutty even though their kibble and canned food is meat based. For me, I based my decision to continue feeding them a meat based diet on three things - it's what they have always been fed, they do well health-wise on it (Jeanie has the

beginnings of kidney disease and Gracie has some irritable tummy issues and it was hard to find a food that didn't give her chronic diarrhea - grains do not sit well with her at all, and finally, given the choice, I guarantee they would choose to continue eating meat and I just don't feel comfortable insisting they eat a diet that isn't really natural for them).Having said all of that, it is hard for me to reconcile my beliefs with my dogs' diet. It does bother me to buy their food knowing that my money is supporting the meat industry. But this is the decision that I believe my dogs would make given the choice, and although I won't acquiesce to them on all decisions (for example, no matter how much they want to explore the garbage cans, they aren't going to do so) I think food is pretty basic thing and I think their wishes and desires should be taken into heavy consideration. That's how I made my choice to continue feeding them

what I do. I'm sure others have different ideas and thoughts.Missie Harholdand Gracie the Ibizan Houndand Jeanie the Greyhoundgreyhounddog"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures." -Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV ---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/vegetarian-vegan-cat-food.htmlIs what my vegan friends with cats use and there are dog foods on there too.

Personally I only have rescued animals with naturally herbivorous diets. I am ok with animals in the wild being carnivorous in nature but i don't like the fact that I were to looking after animals with the diet i would have to support the slaughterhouses and farming of animals even if some companies say they are more ethical.

Alicia x

2010/1/5 Keely O'Brien <keelyo82

Hi there!

I'm a vegan and I have two cats that I feed regular cat food, although I am looking for vegan alternatives.. Unfortunately, I can not answer whether or not it is moral to feed animals meat products.  I look at it this way-for humans, it is a choice to not eat meat. Domestic animals do not get that choice; they have to eat whatever we feed them (and if they were not domestic they would most likely be eating meat)  I do hope to find a vegan cat food my cats will enjoy but I don't feel bad about letting them eat regular cat food.  I think it just depends on what feels right to you.

Hope that helps a little,

Keely

csonsini1 <csonsini

Mon, January 4, 2010 5:15:42 PM Question About Pet Food 

I have been a vegetarian for about 35 years and, although I had limited my dairy intake for many years, my partner and I decided last year to go completely vegan. It was a moral choice because I love animals, but I am happy that better health is a " by product " of that choice.

I have a question that I would like to pose because my partner asks it of me and I honestly don't have an answer:If I choose not to eat or wear animal products for moral reasons,why is okay to feed our dogs and cats meat? We feed our indoor

animals (2 dogs and 4 cats) very high quality canned food (Wellness), and our 7 outdoor cat colony gets a very high quality dry (EVO), along with the occasional Purina canned food.So, I'm wondering how those of you with pets would answer this question.

Cecelia

o

I'll send you Ruby

she's our angry gerbil. Pomeranian/Chihuahua...

oh, and she has "little angry dog syndrome"

Kerby Jan 5, 2010 12:19 PM Re: Question About Pet Food

My dog is going to be 8 in February, Im really contemplating on never having a companion animal that requires a meat based diet. I do love my dog, and will miss her VERY much when she goes... I dont know how Im going to handle losing Lindy. I may get a smaller breed or dog, like Pomerarion or Yorkie, and put them on a vegetarian dog food, like Natural Balance, Vegetarian formula.I prefer natural vegetarian animals though, like Parrots :) I could never live without Bokka, my U2 <3<3<3Mercedez

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!