IndiaDivine.org

Tofu??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some things for me,

I really appreciate it.

I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me very

displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was rubbery and

spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My understanding is that

many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think I need to confront my fear but if

all tofu is like this then I don't imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can

anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing

on a bath sponge? TIA.

Katie

At 10:32 PM +0000 1/20/10, Katie wrote:

>First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some

>things for me, I really appreciate it.

>

>I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me

>very displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was

>rubbery and spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My

>understanding is that many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think

>I need to confront my fear but if all tofu is like this then I don't

>imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a tasty

>tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath

>sponge? TIA.

>

>

I'm not a fan of eating rubber sponges myself, but I think people

purposely create that texture by freezing tofu!

I've been vegan for over two decades and vegetarian for almost 35

years (!) and I rarely eat tofu and don't eat a lot of processed

foods. To me, vegan foods are anything that comes from plants. The

only reason you'd have to even think about protein is if you eat lots

of convenience/junk food or empty calories such as sodas or alcohol.

If you're eating enough calories, you're getting more than enough

protein. It doesn't need to be " combined. " There is nothing you

" need " to eat now that you're vegan.

For me, the tofu-in-a-box or -tub is worth using only as an

ingredient in something else. I used to make a good garlic-lemon-dill

sauce with soft tofu as a base, and it makes a nice holiday whipped

topping with sweetener and spices.

The only tofu I like comes direct from the tofu maker. We have one at

a local summer farmers' market. It's more expensive than supermarket

tofu, but it's actually great-tasting and worth eating on its own. If

you can find an Asian market, they may sell fresh tofu.

Darlin',When you become a Vegan, you're not issued a Tofu Consumption card that you must have stamped so many times a month to stay in "Club Vegan"! I think sometimes non-Vegans obsess on Tofu in order to justify their eating meat! There are people on this list who turn away from all things Tofu, and there are people like me who hate cooking so certain fast Tofu dishes are a plus. Could you maybe save up some $$$, go to a veggie/vegan restaurant and try everything on the menu tofu or non-tofu, then you'll know more about what's out there?CynSent via BlackBerry by AT&T "Katie" <greenrootsmamaWed, 20 Jan 2010 22:32:00 -0000 Tofu?? First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some things for me, I really appreciate it. I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me very displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was rubbery and spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My understanding is that many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think I need to confront my fear but if all tofu is like this then I don't imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath sponge? TIA.Katie

This FASCINATES ME! WHAT do you eat outside of tofu?

, yarrow wrote:

>

> At 10:32 PM +0000 1/20/10, Katie wrote:

> >First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some

> >things for me, I really appreciate it.

> >

> >I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me

> >very displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was

> >rubbery and spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My

> >understanding is that many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think

> >I need to confront my fear but if all tofu is like this then I don't

> >imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a tasty

> >tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath

> >sponge? TIA.

> >

> >

> I'm not a fan of eating rubber sponges myself, but I think people

> purposely create that texture by freezing tofu!

>

> I've been vegan for over two decades and vegetarian for almost 35

> years (!) and I rarely eat tofu and don't eat a lot of processed

> foods. To me, vegan foods are anything that comes from plants. The

> only reason you'd have to even think about protein is if you eat lots

> of convenience/junk food or empty calories such as sodas or alcohol.

> If you're eating enough calories, you're getting more than enough

> protein. It doesn't need to be " combined. " There is nothing you

> " need " to eat now that you're vegan.

>

> For me, the tofu-in-a-box or -tub is worth using only as an

> ingredient in something else. I used to make a good garlic-lemon-dill

> sauce with soft tofu as a base, and it makes a nice holiday whipped

> topping with sweetener and spices.

>

> The only tofu I like comes direct from the tofu maker. We have one at

> a local summer farmers' market. It's more expensive than supermarket

> tofu, but it's actually great-tasting and worth eating on its own. If

> you can find an Asian market, they may sell fresh tofu.

>

Wildwood Sprouted Tofu products, such as their plain yogurt! I love it! You can

add anything to it! It has a mild nuttiness, and the sourness easily goes away!

, " Katie " <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

> First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some things for

me, I really appreciate it.

>

> I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me very

displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was rubbery and

spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My understanding is that

many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think I need to confront my fear but if

all tofu is like this then I don't imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can

anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing

on a bath sponge? TIA.

>

> Katie

>

now now, you are much bigger then tofu. it is probably more afraid of you, then you are of it.

have you tried holding your hand out to it slowly? speaking to it in a low and calming voice?

in all seriousness, tofu can be prepared in all manner of styles and in all sorts of dishes.

there are a number of styles of tofu and different consistencies.

if you freeze tofu, it will also make its texture more firm.

you can marinate it, sautee it, use any number of cooking techniques.

then again, no one sez you have to like or eat tofu. there a re zillion other opetions out there. the entire edible vegetative world is your playground.

Katie Jan 20, 2010 5:32 PM Tofu??

First I want to say thank you to those who helped to clarify some things for me, I really appreciate it. I am afraid of tofu. I had an experience with tofu once that left me very displeased and I haven't eaten it again since; the texture was rubbery and spongy. This makes me hesitant about trying it again. My understanding is that many vegan foods are tofu-oriented so I think I need to confront my fear but if all tofu is like this then I don't imagine I'll be eating a lot of it. Can anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath sponge? TIA.Katie

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

The only tofu I like comes direct from the tofu maker. We have one at a local summer farmers' market. It's more expensive than supermarket tofu, but it's actually great-tasting and worth eating on its own. If you can find an Asian market, they may sell fresh tofu.

Hodo Soy is literally right down the street from me! woohoo! my fave tofu at the moment.

yarrow Jan 20, 2010 6:11 PM Re: Tofu??

Taifun tofu is about as far from bath sponges as you can get. It's very hard and dense in texture, more than any other tofu I've tried (closest thing I can think of for comparison is mature cheddar cheese (sharp cheese in the US), but it isn't remotely cheese-like in taste). But not rubbery... you won't be chewing it for ages like you would chew, for instance, deep fried tofu.

It comes in plain, basil, tomato, and smoked varieties and it's delicious. You can cut it up and use it in recipes but in our house it usually gets eaten straight from the packet as a snack - it's that yummy :)

Also I have taken blocks of regular firm tofu (the type that comes sealed in a plastic bag with liquid to keep it moist) and cut them into chunks, marinaded them in things like soy sauce and ginger, or lemon juice and herbs, then baked them in the oven for a while. It comes out deliciously firm and chewy (but not in a rubber bath sponge way) - the longer you bake it, the harder and more chewy it gets so if you don't like chewy, cook it for less time.

Finally, silken tofu is the complete opposite end of the scale. It's more like cream cheese (the soft kind) or ricotta cheese (the firm kind of silken tofu) and can be used in all sorts of things where you want a lovely creamy taste and texture. I use it to make caramelised red onion quiche - mix the soft tofu with caramelised red onions, thyme and a very little french mustard, use it as filling for a quiche and bake till it goes golden on top. So nice that even my omni, tofu hating husband will ask for it :)

Opalline

>>> Can anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath sponge? TIA.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

Does anyone know where that tofu can be found in the US?Patricia--- On Thu, 1/21/10, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER wrote:Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLERRE: Tofu?? Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 3:28 AM

Taifun tofu is about as far from bath sponges as you can get. It's very hard and dense in texture, more than any other tofu I've tried (closest thing I can think of for comparison is mature cheddar cheese (sharp cheese in the US), but it isn't remotely cheese-like in taste). But not rubbery... you won't be chewing it for ages like you would chew, for instance, deep fried tofu.

It comes in plain, basil, tomato, and smoked varieties and it's delicious. You can cut it up and use it in recipes but in our house it usually gets eaten straight from the packet as a snack - it's that yummy :)

Also I have taken blocks of regular firm tofu (the type that comes sealed in a plastic bag with liquid to keep it moist) and cut them into chunks, marinaded them in things like soy sauce and ginger, or lemon juice and herbs, then baked them in the oven for a while. It comes out deliciously firm and chewy (but not in a rubber bath sponge way) - the longer you bake it, the harder and more chewy it gets so if you don't like chewy, cook it for less time.

Finally, silken tofu is the complete opposite end of the scale. It's more like cream cheese (the soft kind) or ricotta cheese (the firm kind of silken tofu) and can be used in all sorts of things where you want a lovely creamy taste and texture. I use it to make caramelised red onion quiche - mix the soft tofu with caramelised red onions, thyme and a very little french mustard, use it as filling for a quiche and bake till it goes golden on top. So nice that even my omni, tofu hating husband will ask for it :)

Opalline

>>> Can anyone recommend a tasty tofu product/meal that won't conjure images of chewing on a bath sponge? TIA.

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

they are based out of Germany, so i don't think you'll find them on this side of the pond

we had the sausages in bremen, pretty good. (tho, they don't hold a candle to Redwood in the UK..yum

Patricia Jan 23, 2010 2:55 PM RE: Tofu??

Does anyone know where that tofu can be found in the US?Patricia--- On Thu, 1/21/10, Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov.uk> wrote:

Underwood-Fowler Cindy <CDUFOWLER (AT) mail (DOT) dstl.gov.uk>RE: Tofu?? Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 3:28 AM

Opalline