IndiaDivine.org

A couple questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

1.) What do you do when you attend an event where food is served but there are

no vegan choices? We were invited to a birthday party this weekend and left

early because all they offered to eat were hot dogs and hamburgers.

2.) What do you feed your pets? We recently adopted a puppy but after just a

little poking around online I've discovered how terrible dog food is. I don't

think I could force my little friend to go vegan since he was built to be a

carnivore. However, veganism would be better for him than the awful kibble.

Katie

1. several things. if you know the ppl well, ask in advance if there will be anything availble for you to eat. if you like, phrase it as if you have an allergy. or, you could always just bring your own food. if you bring your own, it could be a good a idea to bring extra to share. that way, you don't get weird looks, and who knows, you may win a few converts.

2. our dogs are vegan. they get V-dog. our cats alas, are not.

Katie Feb 8, 2010 10:18 AM A couple questions

1.) What do you do when you attend an event where food is served but there are no vegan choices? We were invited to a birthday party this weekend and left early because all they offered to eat were hot dogs and hamburgers. 2.) What do you feed your pets? We recently adopted a puppy but after just a little poking around online I've discovered how terrible dog food is. I don't think I could force my little friend to go vegan since he was built to be a carnivore. However, veganism would be better for him than the awful kibble. Katie

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!

Question 1. Depending on the situation we ask if we can bring something and if not then we usually eat before we go. --- On Mon, 2/8/10, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:Katie <greenrootsmama A couple questions Date: Monday, February 8, 2010, 8:18 AM

1.) What do you do when you attend an event where food is served but there are no vegan choices? We were invited to a birthday party this weekend and left early because all they offered to eat were hot dogs and hamburgers.

2.) What do you feed your pets? We recently adopted a puppy but after just a little poking around online I've discovered how terrible dog food is. I don't think I could force my little friend to go vegan since he was built to be a carnivore. However, veganism would be better for him than the awful kibble.

Katie

About the party isue:If I'm invited over the phone or in person, right then and there I mention, in a friendly way- " Oh, and you know I'm vegetarian (Vegan), right? " Thus begins the conversation. Keep it friendly, and non-confrontational.

If there is a possibility that I' won't find anything vegetarian at the party, I eat well before I go.Never would I chastise someone or scold them for not offering veggie stuff.Namaste,

MatthewUnitarian-Universalists are often asked where they stand. The only true answer to give to this question is that we do not stand at all, we move.http://www.peopleschurch.net/

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have too much, It is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.        -President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 2nd Inaugural Address

Matthew Morris McCormickGrace House721 Whitcomb St. Apt  BKalamazoo, MI 49008Phone: 269.OXford 2.3692email: mattmccoSent from Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

1.) What do you do when you attend an event where food is served but there are no vegan choices? We were invited to a birthday party this weekend and left early because all they offered to eat were hot dogs and hamburgers.

2.) What do you feed your pets? We recently adopted a puppy but after just a little poking around online I've discovered how terrible dog food is. I don't think I could force my little friend to go vegan since he was built to be a carnivore. However, veganism would be better for him than the awful kibble.

Katie

Usually, if I'm going somewhere I suspect I won't easily get vegan food, I either take some with me, or else I fill up right before I leave so that I won't feel hungry whilst everyone else is eating.

Opalline

On Behalf Of Katie08 February 2010 15:18 Subject: A couple questions

"This e-mail is intended for the recipient only. If you are not theintended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print,or rely upon this e-mail. If an addressing or transmission error hasmisdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail."

"Recipients should note that all e-mail traffic on MOD systems issubject to monitoring and auditing."

1) I never go to a party empty handed. Ever. This was how I was raised. Hence in that sitch, I always bring something I can eat that is sharable.2) My pets are feline and I feed them organic, all natural cat food. Yes, they eat meat--they're cats. I feel it's unethical to impose my lifestyle on an animal whose digestive system wasn't built for it. YMMV.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Katie <greenrootsmama wrote:

Katie

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Question 1:

I offer to bring a dish. I don't want anyone going out of their way to prepare

something for just me, thus my offer. I also make sure that I eat something

small before going.

Question 2:

My dogs eat organic dog kibble and like the person with cats, I do feed them

meat. They are opportunistic carnivores and although they can survive on a

vegetarian based diet, the decision to not eat animal products was mine, not

theirs. That said, there a many very good vegan dog (and cat) foods out there

if that is the choice you make. To each his own.......

Missie Harhold

and Gracie the Ibizan Hound

and Jeanie the Greyhound

greyhounddog

" Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants

happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other

creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

NATASHA HARHOLD wrote:

" I offer to bring a dish. I don't want anyone going out of their way to prepare

something for just me, thus my offer. I also make sure that I eat something

small before going. "

Perhaps, more and more people will produce ingredient list cards to go along

with meal items at group meal/parties, and more and more people will come to

expect that. And perhaps as that is happenning, if people don't see an

ingredient list, they may find it offensive as hearing a fart in group

gathering.

The reason people may expect this is because it allows them access to

information that allows them to make informed choice of what they put into their

body, even if it happens to a product containing an animal product or not. And

it may save alot of people from much grief.

Hi Katie

If you are not sure that there will be food you can eat, take something of your

own. It could be a complete dish or just nuts and raisins and fruit.

I don't have any pets, but if I had a dog I would feed it the vegan dog food

that you can get. One friend had a dog that was vegetarian (before there was

prepared vegan dog food) - was a lovely dog and lived to be 20.

Jo

, " Katie " <greenrootsmama wrote:

>

> 1.) What do you do when you attend an event where food is served but there are

no vegan choices? We were invited to a birthday party this weekend and left

early because all they offered to eat were hot dogs and hamburgers.

>

> 2.) What do you feed your pets? We recently adopted a puppy but after just a

little poking around online I've discovered how terrible dog food is. I don't

think I could force my little friend to go vegan since he was built to be a

carnivore. However, veganism would be better for him than the awful kibble.

>

> Katie

>