IndiaDivine.org

From VegSource

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related IssuesIMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting

children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food

advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar

in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!"Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights

activists.Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against

no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually

an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer

and healthier as a result.Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.Patricia

While I do agree that too much fat, sugar etc is not particularly good for you I

don't think it is quite as straightforward as this article makes out.

My great grandmother, and my aunt used to always have full fat milk, cheese,

cream, eggs, a certain amount of meat each day. They used to drink tea

sweetened with condensed milk. They baked, and therefore ate cake most days.

My grandmother lived to be 99ish, in a healthy condition until struck down by

Asian flu. My aunt lived to her mid-80s.

I think that because they were busy all day - no labour-saving devices to do

their housework, and because they had to walk to the shops etc. they kept their

weight right, and kept fit.

I think being healthy does not just depend on one aspect of life.

Jo

, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

>

> Rant: On " Comfort Foods " & Related Issues

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon emotions rather

than intellect.  Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it,

" food-like substances " ) we were given as children have been shown to be rather

unhealthy.  They have become " unhealthy " attachments and, in many cases, taste

addictions.  The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan).  My

response got too long, hence this post.

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's

Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on.  I remember when doctors would

SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a

vegetarian was risky to my health).  It's not a coincidence that food companies

spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ( " hook 'em when

the're young, you get them for life " ).  Then there's the " bond " to these

unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are

young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that

emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24

million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose

near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related

problems) a year to heart attacks.  Our public and governmental institutions

have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is

healthy and what isn't.  Considering the amount of money spent on advertising

bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of

good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising

to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses

and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to

duplicate " comfort foods. "   Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as " they

deserve a treat " on Valentine's Day.  " Deserve? "   Hardly.  They misleadingly

believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having

cardiovascular issues or diabetes.  Far from it.  It might be reduced some, but

they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the

body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources.  Added

oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol

issue) and inflames your blood vessels.  One fatty meal decreases your blood

vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact).  Using more sugar

in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a

" treat. "   It's

> potential long-term suicide.  Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya.  A la

McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell:  " Moderation kills. "

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat is

Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a

nutritional moron.  PCRM recently praised his cookbook, " Conscious Cooking "

while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact,

some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!

>

> " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than

WHOLE MILK mozzarella.  It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like

substance that's mostly oil.  " But it melts! " proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. 

" It saves [non-human] animals! " yell the animal rights activists.

>

> Big whoop.  Remember that when they put the stents in.  Which reminds me:  how

ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned

that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful.  Successful?  That means he

didn't die from complications.  If it were successful, he wouldn't need the

stents.  You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's

life a bit.  Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research,

have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was

vegan).  Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation.  Here's 15

documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the

problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this?  Added oil/fat, salt, and

sugar is killing us in huge numbers.  It's not just a meat or dairy issue.  To

argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like

arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. 

We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

>

> My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that

interview I did with him three years ago this week.  He didn't want to just

reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's

interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology).  By thinking of such

fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as " comforting, " it's too easy for many people

to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction.  Making a fatty vegan

mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing.  Creating

future fat addicts.

>

> Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is

doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an " all or

nothing " situation for most of us.  Fortunately, many of the so-called " comfort "

foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and

unpronounceable chemicals.  Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new

and healthier comfort foods.  We can then  break with the unhealthy past and

establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

>

> For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book,

" Eating Animals. "   His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall

approach.  The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs

that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed

meat was wrong.  There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be

healthy, and they would not involve meat.  In effect, " healthy " comfort foods

would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer

and healthier as a result.

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal

salt, and vegan.  The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional

attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for

a longer and healthier life.

>

> For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

Um, what are they smoking on Daiya cheese? I've read the ingredients. Do they know what a serving is that they list on the back of my bag? 28g!!!!!!!!!! 90 calories for 28g, and the fat ain't bad, either. And I go through several uses of that bag.

Someone needs to learn numbers....On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

Rant: On " Comfort Foods " & Related IssuesIMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon emotions rather than intellect.  Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, " food-like substances " ) we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy.  They have become " unhealthy " attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions.  The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan).  My response got too long, hence this post.

Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on.  I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health).  It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting

children ( " hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life " ).  Then there's the " bond " to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks.  Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't.  Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food

advertising to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate " comfort foods. "   Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as " they deserve a treat " on Valentine's Day.  " Deserve? "   Hardly.  They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes.  Far from it.  It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources.  Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels.  One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact).  Using more sugar

in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a " treat. "   It's potential long-term suicide.  Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya.  A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell:  " Moderation kills. "

This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat is Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron.  PCRM recently praised his cookbook, " Conscious Cooking " while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!

" Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella.  It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil.  " But it melts! " proclaim the fat-addicted vegans.  " It saves [non-human] animals! " yell the animal rights

activists.Big whoop.  Remember that when they put the stents in.  Which reminds me:  how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful.  Successful?  That means he didn't die from complications.  If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents.  You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit.  Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan).  Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation.  Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.

How can anyone intelligently argue against this?  Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers.  It's not just a meat or dairy issue.  To argue against

no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun.  We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week.  He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology).  By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as " comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction.  Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing.  Creating future fat addicts.

Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually

an " all or nothing " situation for most of us.  Fortunately, many of the so-called " comfort " foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals.  Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods.  We can then  break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, " Eating Animals. "   His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach.  The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong.  There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat.  In effect, " healthy " comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer

and healthier as a result.Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan.  The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.Patricia

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.comhttp://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Strangely enough, the following item was on the BBC website today:

Slimming sixties not a myth

Home cooked food and plenty of housework was the 1960s

model Despite fewer visits to gyms and a love of high-fat foods, people in the

1960s were slimmer simply because they were more active, the government says.

Rates of obesity in English adults have risen from 1-2%

in the 1960s to around 26% today, figures show.

Yet in 2010, overweight adults are far less likely to try

to lose weight, a repeat of a survey done in 1967 showed.

Plus adults in the 1960s did more housework and used the

car less, the Department of Health said.

The 1967 survey of 1,900 adults found nine in ten people

had attempted to lose weight in the past year compared with 57% of 1,500 adults

questioned in 2010.

Forty years ago, only 7% of those who considered

themselves to be overweight had failed to do anything about it compared with

43% of today's adults.

And in 1967, 66% of those surveyed said they wanted to

lose up to a stone compared with 46% in 2010.

Lifestyles

The Department of Health, which carried out the survey to

promote the Change4Life campaign, said the findings were supported by

differences in the way people lived.

For example, in the 1960s there were 10.5m television

sets compared with a predicted 74m by 2020.

And people are now far less likely to walk or cycle to

work or school as seven out of ten households now have a car compared with

three out of ten in the 1960s.

In 1967, more than three-quarters of adults said that

they walked for at least half an hour every day compared with only 42% in 2010.

People spent twice as much time every week doing

household chores and hardly anyone ate takeaway meals, which appeared in the

mid-sixties.

Gyms were rarer and high fat foods like condensed milk

and cooked breakfast were popular but even though weight loss technology was

still in its infancy, 2% of people claimed to have used vibrating massage belts

for weight loss in 1967.

Professor Alan Maryon-Davis, president of the faculty of

public health, said people are probably healthier these days in terms of life

expectancy.

" But we have these problems which are problems of

affluence and we need to get back to being more physically active.

" One observation I would make is that overweight

people in the 1960s were less common so they may have been more inclined to get

back to a normal weight - it's about social norms. "

A Department of Health spokesperson said: " In the

60s our daily routines involved more exercise which helped people stay slimmer.

" Nowadays, our increasingly sedentary lives paired

with the proliferation of a wide range of unhealthy foods have combined to

create a very difficult environment for people to reach and maintain a healthy

weight. "

On Behalf Of Patricia

26 February 2010 09:29

From VegSource

Hi Patricia,

I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.

But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're

going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty

much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods

are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as

much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could

pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but

I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways

to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while

I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have

cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading

labels, which I will have to work on.

I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you

say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the

person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite

everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical

Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a

" motherly " nature.

So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but

perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make

some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're

all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong

is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to

change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on

vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that

they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that

doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater

they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try

something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for

lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things

to make.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is

criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just

writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer

isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that

already.

I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be

that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other

sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be

greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard

until I can find an equal substitute.

Jackie

>

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon emotions rather

than intellect.  Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it,

" food-like substances " ) we were given as children have been shown to be rather

unhealthy.  They have become " unhealthy " attachments and, in many cases, taste

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that

emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24

million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose

near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related

problems) a year to heart attacks.  Our public and governmental institutions

have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is

healthy and what isn't.  Considering the amount of money spent on advertising

bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of

good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising

to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses

duplicate " comfort foods. "   Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as " they

deserve a treat " on Valentine's Day.  " Deserve? "   Hardly.  They misleadingly

vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact).  Using more sugar

" treat. "   It's

> potential long-term suicide.  Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya.  A la

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat is

Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a

>

> " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than

substance that's mostly oil.  " But it melts! " proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. 

>

> Big whoop.  Remember that when they put the stents in.  Which reminds me:  how

ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned

that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful.  Successful?  That means he

life a bit.  Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research,

problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this?  Added oil/fat, salt, and

>

> My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that

fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as " comforting, " it's too easy for many people

future fat addicts.

>

nothing " situation for most of us.  Fortunately, many of the so-called " comfort "

unpronounceable chemicals.  Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new

>

meat was wrong.  There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal

salt, and vegan.  The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional

attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for

a longer and healthier life.

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

Thanks so much for this, because you said nicely what I generally get very pissed off about and then I react incorrectly. I don't take kindly to non-Vegans telling me my diet is unhealthy; however, vegans or vegetarians sniffing at my taste for "faux" meats or cheeses or Vegan confections I enjoy - well, I immediately make those people invisible as well. Perhaps we can try to help each other w/o sniffing in judgement. I'll listen to anyone who is non-judgemental. Cyn Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T "bcoffthegrid" <jttranscriptsFri, 26 Feb 2010 20:18:54 -0000 Re: From VegSource Hi Patricia,I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on. I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a " motherly " nature.So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.Jackie , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> Rant: On " Comfort Foods " & Related Issues> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon emotions rather than intellect.  Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, " food-like substances " ) we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy.  They have become " unhealthy " attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions.  The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan).  My response got too long, hence this post.> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on.  I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health).  It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ( " hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life " ).  Then there's the " bond " to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks.  Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't.  Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate " comfort foods. "   Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as " they deserve a treat " on Valentine's Day.  " Deserve? "   Hardly.  They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes.  Far from it.  It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources.  Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels.  One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact).  Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a " treat. "   It's> potential long-term suicide.  Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya.  A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell:  " Moderation kills. " > > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat is Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron.  PCRM recently praised his cookbook, " Conscious Cooking " while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella.  It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil.  " But it melts! " proclaim the fat-addicted vegans.  " It saves [non-human] animals! " yell the animal rights activists.> > Big whoop.  Remember that when they put the stents in.  Which reminds me:  how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful.  Successful?  That means he didn't die from complications.  If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents.  You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit.  Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan).  Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation.  Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this?  Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers.  It's not just a meat or dairy issue.  To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun.  We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week.  He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology).  By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as " comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction.  Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing.  Creating future fat addicts.> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an " all or nothing " situation for most of us.  Fortunately, many of the so-called " comfort " foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals.  Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods.  We can then  break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, " Eating Animals. "   His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach.  The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong.  There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat.  In effect, " healthy " comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan.  The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > Patricia>

Just my two-cents.....I am vegan for personal reasons relating to the treatment of animals. While, I believe that it is a more humane way to lead my life, I can't honestly say that I know for sure that it is healthier. I think everyone has a different body make up and what works for one, wouldn't work for all. My Father is now 71yo, has been smoking non-filtered cigarettes since he was 15, and eats beef, eggs, cheese, pork sausages, and many processed bakery products every day. His only health condition is a thyroid problem for which he takes one pill a day. For years I ranted about the cigarette smoking, but obviously, he's one of those people that these kinds of things don't bother. But, I do think for the average person, a vegan lifestyle is a healthier one. However, making blanket

statements about what everyone should do never works. And it's a sure fire way to turn off a lot of people.~~Vicky "Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV cyn <cyn84074 Sent: Fri, February 26, 2010 8:33:38 PMRe: Re: From VegSource

Thanks so much for this, because you said nicely what I generally get very pissed off about and then I react incorrectly. I don't take kindly to non-Vegans telling me my diet is unhealthy; however, vegans or vegetarians sniffing at my taste for "faux" meats or cheeses or Vegan confections I enjoy - well, I immediately make those people invisible as well. Perhaps we can try to help each other w/o sniffing in judgement. I'll listen to anyone who is non-judgemental. Cyn Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T "bcoffthegrid" <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca>

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:18:54 -0000<@gro ups.com> Re: From VegSource

Hi Patricia,

But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on.

I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.

So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.

I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.

Jackie

@gro ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 wrote:

>

> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular- related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart

Association is not a "treat." It's

> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!

>

> "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.

>

> Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

>

> My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology) . By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.

>

> Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

>

> For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

Veganism is a healthier life style if you do it right. Often times, as a woman who is currently a new college graduate and unsure of what she wants to do with her life that will be both psychologically and financially fulfilling I find myself eating lots and lots of carbs, bread oatmeal bread are my favorite things and that is definitely not a healthy way to live. No I'm not pouring artery clogging animal fats into my system, but I don't always consume those healthy o so delicious fruits and veggies oops! Maybe part of this stems from me being part italian and associating breads and pastas with warm fuzzy feelings. Any ideas on how I can turn this habit around? :-pdamiensmom <damiensmom1995 Sent: Sat, February 27, 2010 12:27:43 AMRe: Re: From VegSource

Just my two-cents... ..I am vegan for personal reasons relating to the treatment of animals. While, I believe that it is a more humane way to lead my life, I can't honestly say that I know for sure that it is healthier. I think everyone has a different body make up and what works for one, wouldn't work for all. My Father is now 71yo, has been smoking non-filtered cigarettes since he was 15, and eats beef, eggs, cheese, pork sausages, and many processed bakery products every day. His only health condition is a thyroid problem for which he takes one pill a day. For years I ranted about the cigarette smoking, but obviously, he's one of those people that these kinds of things don't bother. But, I do think for the average person, a vegan lifestyle is a healthier one. However, making blanket

statements about what everyone should do never works. And it's a sure fire way to turn off a lot of people.~~Vicky "Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures."-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV cyn <cyn84074 (AT) aol (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFri, February 26, 2010 8:33:38 PMRe: Re: From VegSource

Thanks so much for this, because you said nicely what I generally get very pissed off about and then I react incorrectly. I don't take kindly to non-Vegans telling me my diet is unhealthy; however, vegans or vegetarians sniffing at my taste for "faux" meats or cheeses or Vegan confections I enjoy - well, I immediately make those people invisible as well. Perhaps we can try to help each other w/o sniffing in judgement. I'll listen to anyone who is non-judgemental. Cyn Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T "bcoffthegrid" <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca>

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:18:54 -0000<@gro ups.com> Re: From VegSource

Hi Patricia,

But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on.

I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.

So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.

I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.

Jackie

@gro ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 wrote:

>

> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular- related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart

Association is not a "treat." It's

> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!

>

> "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.

>

> Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

>

> My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology) . By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.

>

> Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

>

> For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

Carbohydrates are not that unhealthy, especially if they are

wholemeal.

Jo

On Behalf Of Sarah Tomecek

27 February 2010 19:43

Re: Re: From VegSource

Veganism is a healthier life style if you do it right. Often

times, as a woman who is currently a new college graduate and unsure of what

she wants to do with her life that will be both psychologically and financially

fulfilling I find myself eating lots and lots of carbs, bread oatmeal bread are

my favorite things and that is definitely not a healthy way to live. No I'm not

pouring artery clogging animal fats into my system, but I don't always consume

those healthy o so delicious fruits and veggies oops! Maybe part of this stems

from me being part italian and associating breads and pastas with warm fuzzy

feelings. Any ideas on how I can turn this habit around? :-p

damiensmom

<damiensmom1995

Sat, February 27, 2010 12:27:43 AM

Just

my two-cents... ..I am vegan for personal reasons relating to the treatment of

animals. While, I believe that it is a more humane way to lead my life, I can't

honestly say that I know for sure that it is healthier. I think everyone has a

different body make up and what works for one, wouldn't work for all. My

Father is now 71yo, has been smoking non-filtered cigarettes since he was 15,

and eats beef, eggs, cheese, pork sausages, and many processed bakery products

every day. His only health condition is a thyroid problem for which he takes

one pill a day. For years I ranted about the cigarette smoking, but obviously,

he's one of those people that these kinds of things don't bother. But, I

do think for the average person, a vegan lifestyle is a healthier one. However,

making blanket statements about what everyone should do never works. And it's a

sure fire way to turn off a lot of people.

~~Vicky

" Life

is as dear to a mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness

and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other

creatures. "

-Dalai Lama of Tibet, His Holiness, The XIV

cyn

<cyn84074 (AT) aol (DOT) com>

@gro ups.com

Fri, February 26, 2010 8:33:38 PM

Thanks so much for this, because you said nicely what I generally get very

pissed off about and then I react incorrectly. I don't take kindly to

non-Vegans telling me my diet is unhealthy; however, vegans or vegetarians

sniffing at my taste for " faux " meats or cheeses or Vegan confections

I enjoy - well, I immediately make those people invisible as well. Perhaps we

can try to help each other w/o sniffing in judgement. I'll listen to anyone who

is non-judgemental. Cyn

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

" bcoffthegrid " <jttranscripts@

xplornet. ca>

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:18:54 -0000

<@gro ups.com>

Re: From VegSource

Hi Patricia,

But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're

going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty

much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods

are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as

much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could

I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a

ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a

while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers

have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at

reading labels, which I will have to work on.

I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you

everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian

mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a

" motherly " nature.

perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could

make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what

we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is

wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how

to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard

on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that

to make.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is

already.

I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be

Jackie

@gro

ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 wrote:

>

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon

emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan

would put it, " food-like substances " ) we were given as children have

been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become " unhealthy "

attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a

list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this

post.

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza,

McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember

when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that

my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence

that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children

( " hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life " ). Then

there's the " bond " to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact

that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who

give us that stuff.

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves

that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have

around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of

such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other

cardiovascular- related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and

governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping

people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount

of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed

up the conventional views of good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars

is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous

fashions. " ).

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux

cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes

to duplicate " comfort foods. " Large amounts of sugar and

refined flour as " they deserve a treat " on Valentine's Day.

" Deserve? " Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because

they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or

diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still

get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks

standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels

development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and

inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels

elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar

" treat. " It's

> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill

ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell:

" Moderation kills. "

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat

is Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is

basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook,

" Conscious Cooking " while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart

disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher

in added fat then hers!

>

> " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per

serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid

food-like substance that's mostly oil. " But it melts! " proclaim

the fat-addicted vegans. " It saves [non-human] animals! " yell

the animal rights activists.

>

> Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which

reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's

recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was

successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from

complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents.

You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit.

Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have

REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was

vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation.

Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help

elucidate the problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat,

salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or

dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in

your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving

around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture,

or educated guesses.

>

> My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling

me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't

want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in

someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology)

.. By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as

" comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption

of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for

your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat

addicts.

>

doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an

" all or nothing " situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of

the so-called " comfort " foods can be duplicated, to varying degree,

without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps,

though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods.

We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based

upon new knowledge.

>

" Eating Animals. " His work surprised me in depth of thought and

overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the

book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating

factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals

regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat.

In effect, " healthy " comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child

would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar,

minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the

emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase

opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

At 11:42 AM -0800 2/27/10, Sarah Tomecek wrote:

....Often times, as a woman who is currently a new college graduate

and unsure of what she wants to do with her life that will be both

psychologically and financially fulfilling I find myself eating lots

and lots of carbs, bread oatmeal bread are my favorite things and

that is definitely not a healthy way to live. No I'm not pouring

artery clogging animal fats into my system, but I don't always

consume those healthy o so delicious fruits and veggies oops! Maybe

part of this stems from me being part italian and associating breads

and pastas with warm fuzzy feelings. Any ideas on how I can turn

this habit around? :-p

>>

Make it convenient to eat the healthier foods. Prepare them in

containers so that you can just reach into the fridge and eat them,

without having to prepare anything.

Put a fruit bowl where you see it, and either hide or don't buy the

more tempting foods.

If you keep snacks around because some days you wouldn't eat

otherwise, buy the things you'd rather eat instead.

I've found that I can't have potato chips around at all (even the

healthier baked or low-salt ones), because I'll eat them first.

I love carrots but in the winter the thought of preparing and eating

cold food keeps me from eating them some days. But I found that if

I'm preparing some (peeling), I can prepare 2 extra portions (of 3

carrots each) and put them in containers in the refrigerator. Then,

the next time I look in the refrigerator for something quick, look,

carrots already prepared! It's silly that 2 minutes of prep time

would make any difference at all, but it works. I can go a week

wanting carrots but not wanting to spend the 2 minutes preparing

them, but when I have containers ready to go, I eat one container a

day.

I also make extra roasted vegetables, so the next day I have instant

snacks available.

Another quick meal is soup with kale or other greens. If I wash and

chop extra kale, then the next time I'm making a miso or noodle soup,

it takes no extra prep time to add a lot of kale to it. Right now, in

my refrigerator I have small containers of washed and chopped kale

and celery leaves, and unwashed parsley (all from my garden!), that I

can quickly add to whatever I'm making. It's enough to last 2-3 days.

I just can't believe that our diets need to be that austere. We should be able to enjoy what we eat.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: From VegSource Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 4:17 AMWhile I do agree that too much fat, sugar etc is not particularly good for you I don't think it is quite as straightforward as this article makes out.My great grandmother, and my aunt used to always have full fat milk, cheese, cream, eggs, a certain amount of meat each day. They used to

drink tea sweetened with condensed milk. They baked, and therefore ate cake most days. My grandmother lived to be 99ish, in a healthy condition until struck down by Asian flu. My aunt lived to her mid-80s.I think that because they were busy all day - no labour-saving devices to do their housework, and because they had to walk to the shops etc. they kept their weight right, and kept fit.I think being healthy does not just depend on one aspect of life.Jo , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as

children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that

emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on

Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."> > This is why when celebrated vegan

chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.> > Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die

from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > My "take no prisoners" approach stems from

Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new

and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can

drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > Patricia>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join

( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

They are obsessive people who want us all to be miserable and never be able to enjoy our food.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Blue Rose <bluerose156 wrote:Blue Rose <bluerose156Re: From VegSource Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 6:56 AM

Um, what are they smoking on Daiya cheese? I've read the ingredients. Do they know what a serving is that they list on the back of my bag? 28g!!!!!!!!!! 90 calories for 28g, and the fat ain't bad, either. And I go through several uses of that bag.

Someone needs to learn numbers....On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:

Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related IssuesIMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.

Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting

children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food

advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar

in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."

This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!

"Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights

activists.Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.

How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against

no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.

Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually

an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer

and healthier as a result.Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.Patricia

-- AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.comhttp://timeladydesigns.etsy.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts wrote:bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts Re: From VegSource Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PMHi Patricia,I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on. I have a neighbor who now has

to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own

word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit,

for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.Jackie , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember

when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is

healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil

fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."> > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans

worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.> > Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15

documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and

continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he

was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > Patricia>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

I disagree with the "good for us" part of the your sentence about fats only because free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I don't believe that God or nature, however you want to view it, gave our bodies a requirement that God or nature didn't provide for. If olive oil is supposedly good for us, then we should be consuming it in the form of olives.

That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is not going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be occasional and not every day.

Dena Jo

-

Patricia

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:34 AM

I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts (AT) xplornet (DOT) ca> wrote:

bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts (AT) xplornet (DOT) ca> Re: From VegSource Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PM

Hi Patricia,I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on. I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.Jackie , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."> > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.> > Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > Patricia>---To send an email to -

Guest guest

I disagree that people who don't eat fat and sugar feel

deprived.

I, personally, don't like greasy food and don't cook with oil. I

much prefer eating foods such as avocado or nuts or (my favorite)

peanut sauce, rather than coating my food with oil. It's possible to

stir-fry using water, or a sauce with peanut butter, agave syrup, rice

vinegar, and water.

In my experience, since I don't eat greasy food, eating high-fat

foods is a miserable experience. The last time I ordered eggplant

casserole in a vegan restaurant, I had a stomachache the rest of the

day because I'm not used to all that fat.

Ditto for high-sugar foods: I didn't even eat icing as a kid and

have eaten cake now and then mostly to be polite. If it tastes mostly

like sugar, I can't choke it down even to be polite, though.

Food without oil, sugar, and salt is not boring. I've been eating

from my garden a lot lately. Tonight's salad contains mache, miner's

lettuce, garlic chives, and parsley. The main course is a lentil soup

made with nettles, chinese celery, celery, marjoram, perennial kale,

and parsley from my garden, plus onion.

At 3:25 PM -0700 2/28/10, Dena Jo wrote:

I disagree with the " good for us " part of the your

sentence about fats only because free-standing fats don't

exist in nature, and I don't believe that God or nature, however

you want to view it, gave our bodies a requirement that God or

nature didn't provide for. If olive oil is supposedly good

for us, then we should be consuming it in the form of olives.

That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable

experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we

need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is

not going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be

occasional and not every day.

-

Patricia

I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe

that that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really

don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone

else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food

possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats

that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for

us.

Guest guest

I know lots of people who won't eat nuts and seeds because of the fat in them -

the calories, but they are very good for us.

Jo

>

> I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that that is

all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really don't want to live

like a prisoner  and be isolated from everyone else by never being able to eat

anything but the most boring food possible. As far as fat is concerned, I

believe that there are fats that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are

indeed good for us.

>

> Patricia

>

> --- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts wrote:

>

> bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts

> Re: From VegSource

>

> Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PM

>

> Hi Patricia,

>

> I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.

> But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that,

you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all

pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort

foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just

as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could

I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways

to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while

I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have

cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading

labels, which I will have to work on.

>

> I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you

everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical

Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a

" motherly " nature.

>

> So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but

perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make

some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're

all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong

is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to

change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on

vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that

to make.

>

> Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is

already.

>

> I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be

>

> Jackie

>

> , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000@> wrote:

> >

> > Rant: On " Comfort Foods " & Related Issues

> >

> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw upon emotions

rather than intellect.  Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it,

> >

> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's

> >

> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves

that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have

around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of

such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other

cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks.  Our public and

governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping

people understand what is healthy and what isn't.  Considering the amount of

money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up

the conventional views of good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent

on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).

> >

> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses

" treat. "   It's

> >  potential long-term suicide.  Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya.  A la

> >

> > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, " Fat is

> >

> > " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than

> >

> > Big whoop.  Remember that when they put the stents in.  Which reminds me: 

how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned

problems.

> >

> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this?  Added oil/fat, salt, and

> >

> > My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that

future fat addicts.

> >

> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is

> >

> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book,

> >

> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar,

minimal salt, and vegan.  The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the

emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase

opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

> >

> > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.

> >

> >

> >

> > Patricia

> >

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> To send an email to -! Groups Links

>

Guest guest

Avacado and nuts are highish fat foods - just good fat.

Jo

, yarrow wrote:

>

> I disagree that people who don't eat fat and sugar feel deprived.

>

> I, personally, don't like greasy food and don't cook with oil. I much

> prefer eating foods such as avocado or nuts or (my favorite) peanut

> sauce, rather than coating my food with oil. It's possible to

> stir-fry using water, or a sauce with peanut butter, agave syrup,

> rice vinegar, and water.

>

> In my experience, since I don't eat greasy food, eating high-fat

> foods is a miserable experience. The last time I ordered eggplant

> casserole in a vegan restaurant, I had a stomachache the rest of the

> day because I'm not used to all that fat.

>

> Ditto for high-sugar foods: I didn't even eat icing as a kid and have

> eaten cake now and then mostly to be polite. If it tastes mostly like

> sugar, I can't choke it down even to be polite, though.

>

> Food without oil, sugar, and salt is not boring. I've been eating

> from my garden a lot lately. Tonight's salad contains mache, miner's

> lettuce, garlic chives, and parsley. The main course is a lentil soup

> made with nettles, chinese celery, celery, marjoram, perennial kale,

> and parsley from my garden, plus onion.

>

>

>

> At 3:25 PM -0700 2/28/10, Dena Jo wrote:

> I disagree with the " good for us " part of the your sentence about

> fats only because free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I

> don't believe that God or nature, however you want to view it, gave

> our bodies a requirement that God or nature didn't provide for. If

> olive oil is supposedly good for us, then we should be consuming it

> in the form of olives.

>

> That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable

> experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we

> need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is not

> going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be occasional and

> not every day.

>

> -

> <moondreamer64_2000Patricia

> I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that

> that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really

> don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone

> else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food

> possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats

> that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.

>

Guest guest

But, we have the brains and ability to extract that oil from the olives. Some people don't think we should eat olives, avocados or nuts, but I don't think they are bad in moderation.Patricia--- On Sun, 2/28/10, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:Dena Jo <DenaJo2Re: Re: From VegSource Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 2:25 PM

I disagree with the "good for us" part of the your sentence about fats only because free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I don't believe that God or nature, however you want to view it, gave our bodies a requirement that God or nature didn't provide for. If olive oil is supposedly good for us, then we should be consuming it in the form of olives.

That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is not going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be occasional and not every day.

Dena Jo

-

Patricia

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:34 AM

I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca> wrote:

bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca> Re: From VegSource@gro ups.comFriday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PM

Hi Patricia,I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on. I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.Jackie@gro ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_ 2000 wrote:>> Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues> > IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.> > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular- related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").> > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."> > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.> > Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology) . By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting, " it's too easy for many people to justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.> > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > Patricia>------------ --------- --------- ------To send an email to -unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

I agree and I think humans have always eaten nuts and seeds.Patricia--- On Sun, 2/28/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: From VegSource Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 11:49 PMI know lots of people who won't eat nuts and seeds because of the fat in them - the calories, but they are very good for us.Jo , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000 wrote:>> I

think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.> > Patricia> > --- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts wrote:> > bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts> Re: From VegSource> > Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PM> > Hi Patricia,> > I agree with what you're saying but now it's trying to find a fix.> But, with that said, sure

it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that, you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem. Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to work on. > > I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she

was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her happy. She has such a "motherly" nature.> > So, my point is I understand and agree totally with what you're saying, but perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there) because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the key. I'd NEVER tell a meat

eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.> > Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we knew that already.> > I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.>

> Jackie> > , Patricia <moondreamer64_2000@> wrote:> >> > Rant: On "Comfort Foods" & Related Issues> > > > IMHO, by characterizing foods as "comfort foods" we draw upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or, as Pollan would put it, "food-like substances") we were given as children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become "unhealthy" attachments and, in many cases, taste addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.> > > > Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza, McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices

(one in particular, advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising dollars targeting children ("hook 'em when the're young, you get them for life"). Then there's the "bond" to these unhealthy foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young, (our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.> > > > It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those deaths from other cardiovascular-related problems) a year to heart attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy and what isn't.

Considering the amount of money spent on advertising bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views of good nutrition are ("Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food advertising to children annually in numerous fashions.").> > > > I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to recipes to duplicate "comfort foods." Large amounts of sugar and refined flour as "they deserve a treat" on Valentine's Day. "Deserve?" Hardly. They misleadingly believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal sources. Added oil fuels development of

plaque that causes strokes (that's not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day by the American Heart Association is not a "treat." It's> > potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and Campbell: "Moderation kills."> > > > This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say, "Fat is Flavor," I believe he isn't really helping the human animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised his cookbook, "Conscious Cooking" while dissing Julia Childs, mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are significantly higher in added fat then hers!> > > > "Daiya Cheese," which so many vegans

worship, has more fat per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. "But it melts!" proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. "It saves [non-human] animals!" yell the animal rights activists.> > > > Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in. Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not even in moderation.

Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.> > > > How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat, salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.> > > > My "take no prisoners" approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it (different phraseology). By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or sugary foods as "comforting," it's too easy for many people to justify

consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially killing. Creating future fat addicts.> > > > Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat, is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an "all or nothing" situation for most of us. Fortunately, many of the so-called "comfort" foods can be duplicated, to varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.> > > > For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his book, "Eating Animals." His work surprised me in depth of thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and

eating was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would not involve meat. In effect, "healthy" comfort foods would be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer and healthier as a result.> > > > Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar, minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life. > > > > For me, that's a comforting thought, and, the real treat.> > > > > > > > Patricia> >> > > > > ---> > To send

an email to -! Groups Links>---To send an email to -! Groups Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I love them and eat them and don't have a weight problem.Patricia--- On Sun, 2/28/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: From VegSource Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 11:55 PMAvacado and nuts are highish fat foods - just good fat.Jo , yarrow wrote:>> I disagree that people who don't eat fat and sugar feel deprived.> > I, personally, don't

like greasy food and don't cook with oil. I much > prefer eating foods such as avocado or nuts or (my favorite) peanut > sauce, rather than coating my food with oil. It's possible to > stir-fry using water, or a sauce with peanut butter, agave syrup, > rice vinegar, and water.> > In my experience, since I don't eat greasy food, eating high-fat > foods is a miserable experience. The last time I ordered eggplant > casserole in a vegan restaurant, I had a stomachache the rest of the > day because I'm not used to all that fat.> > Ditto for high-sugar foods: I didn't even eat icing as a kid and have > eaten cake now and then mostly to be polite. If it tastes mostly like > sugar, I can't choke it down even to be polite, though.> > Food without oil, sugar, and salt is not boring. I've been eating > from my garden a lot lately. Tonight's salad

contains mache, miner's > lettuce, garlic chives, and parsley. The main course is a lentil soup > made with nettles, chinese celery, celery, marjoram, perennial kale, > and parsley from my garden, plus onion.> > > > At 3:25 PM -0700 2/28/10, Dena Jo wrote:> I disagree with the "good for us" part of the your sentence about > fats only because free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I > don't believe that God or nature, however you want to view it, gave > our bodies a requirement that God or nature didn't provide for. If > olive oil is supposedly good for us, then we should be consuming it > in the form of olives.> > That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable > experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we > need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is not

> going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be occasional and > not every day.> > -> <moondreamer64_2000Patricia> I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that > that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really > don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone > else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food > possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats > that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.>---To send an email to -! Groups

Links<*> /<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: /join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: -digest -fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

I hope that didn't sound like an attack it wasn't meant to"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 10:56:15 PMRe: Re: From VegSource

deprived.

vinegar, and water.

I disagree with the "good for us" part of the your

-

Patricia

that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for

us.

Guest guest

I don’t think they need to be in moderation unless you are

putting on weight. Your brain needs fat – of the healthy variety from nuts,

seeds etc.

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

01 March 2010 08:03

But, we have the brains and ability to extract that oil

from the olives. Some people don't think we should eat olives, avocados or

nuts, but I don't think they are bad in moderation.

Patricia

--- On Sun, 2/28/10, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:

Dena Jo <DenaJo2

Sunday, February 28, 2010, 2:25 PM

I disagree with the

" good for us " part of the your sentence about fats only because

free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I don't believe that God

or nature, however you want to view it, gave our bodies a requirement that

God or nature didn't provide for. If olive oil is supposedly good

That said, nothing is going

to make being vegan a more miserable experience that feeling completely

deprived, and I don't see why we need to be. An occasional high-fat

meal or high-sugar dessert is not going to kill us. The trick is that

it needs to be occasional and not every day.

Dena Jo

-----

Original Message -----

Patricia

Sunday, February

28, 2010 1:34 AM

Re:

don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone else

by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food possible. As

far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats that in moderation

are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.

Patricia

--- On Fri, 2/26/10, bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca>

wrote:

bcoffthegrid <jttranscripts@ xplornet. ca>

@gro ups.com

Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:18 PM

Hi Patricia,

But, with that said, sure it's easy to say this is wrong, don't do that,

you're going to die as well if you eat these and so on, which I think we

all pretty much know, it's finding better alternatives that's the problem.

Comfort foods are comfort foods. I enjoy sitting down and having meals with

friends just as much as I like having a glass of wine with them (sugar

again). Sure, I could pretty much give up everything and go through my life

eating raw vegetables but I am TRYING to find healthier alternatives. It's

coming, but I still have a ways to go. I became a vegetarian and can't say

vegan yet as every once in a while I'll find out later (like on an earlier

post) that some veggie burgers have cheese in them. My fault again, I

obviously wasn't doing a good job at reading labels, which I will have to

work on.

I have a neighbor who now has to give up salt, sugar, fats, all the things

you say and she is miserable. Yes, it's a habit like anything else, but she

was the person in the neighborhood who loved to have these big dinners and

invite everyone over. She's just one of those people that is like the

stereotypical Italian mother who wants to feed everyone. This makes her

happy. She has such a " motherly " nature.

perhaps, other than the one book you mentioned, which is helpful, you could

make some other suggestions on how to change our habits. I think that's

what we're all looking for is to find healthy alternatives. Saying this and

that is wrong is fine, but the only way to a solution is giving some good

advice on how to change it. Just like the conversations dealing with how

meat eaters are hard on vegetarians or vice versa, pointing fingers and

just telling someone that they're fools (just using my own word there)

because they do this or that doesn't help solve the issue. Education is the

key. I'd NEVER tell a meat eater they're an idiot, but will suggest some

healthy alternatives or have them try something that I've made. Like the

person asking about other alternatives for lunch, I LOVED how everyone

stepped up with great ideas and reminders of things to make.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. I guess because it seems everything we do

is criticised or judged by someone, but without CONSTRUCTIVE criticism,

just writing a long post on how bad fats, sugar and salt are without a good

answer isn't that constructive either. I think we can all agree that we

knew that already.

I hope you don't take any offense in my comments as I'm not meaning them to

be that way. Just hope that if you are aware of ideas, recipes, other

books, other sites that can help us reduce those great tasting things in

our lives would be greatly appreciated. I will admit, for me, giving up

stuff I like is very hard until I can find an equal substitute.

Jackie

@gro ups.com, Patricia <moondreamer64_

2000 wrote:

>

>

> IMHO, by characterizing foods as " comfort foods " we draw

upon emotions rather than intellect. Many of the food products (or,

as Pollan would put it, " food-like substances " ) we were given as

children have been shown to be rather unhealthy. They have become

" unhealthy " attachments and, in many cases, taste

addictions. The topic came up in a list I belong to (fat free

vegan). My response got too long, hence this post.

>

> Plastic white Wonder Bread, Cocoa Puffs, Campbell's Soups, Pizza,

McDonald's Fries, Gummy Bears, and the list goes on and on. I

remember when doctors would SMOKE in their offices (one in particular,

advising me that my being a vegetarian was risky to my health). It's

not a coincidence that food companies spend most of their advertising

dollars targeting children ( " hook 'em when the're young, you get them

for life " ). Then there's the " bond " to these unhealthy

foods that comes from the fact that it's those we trust when we are young,

(our parents and relatives) who give us that stuff.

>

> It takes determination, will, and mental discipline, to remind

ourselves that emotional attachments to unhealthy food are one of the

reasons we have around 24 million diabetics in this country (6 million of

those unaware of such), and lose near half a million (not counting those

deaths from other cardiovascular- related problems) a year to heart

attacks. Our public and governmental institutions have failed

completely, for the most part, in helping people understand what is healthy

and what isn't. Considering the amount of money spent on advertising

bad food products it's not surprising how screwed up the conventional views

of good nutrition are ( " Over 10 billion dollars is spent on fast food

advertising to children annually in numerous fashions. " ).

>

> I see many vegetarians and vegans gleefully substitute high fat faux

cheeses and meats, lots of sugar, excessive sodium, and/or added oil to

recipes to duplicate " comfort foods. " Large amounts of

sugar and refined flour as " they deserve a treat " on Valentine's

Day. " Deserve? " Hardly. They misleadingly

believe that because they are vegan, they have removed the risk of having cardiovascular

issues or diabetes. Far from it. It might be reduced some, but

they can still get fat and saturated fat from non-animal sources that, from

the body's risks standpoint, is essentially the same as from animal

sources. Added oil fuels development of plaque that causes strokes (that's

not a cholesterol issue) and inflames your blood vessels. One fatty

meal decreases your blood vessels elasticity for several hours (that's a

measured fact). Using more sugar in a meal than recommended per day

by the American Heart Association is not a " treat. " It's

> potential long-term suicide. Over time, it's probably

gonna kill ya. A la McDougall, Esselstyn, Barnard, and

Campbell: " Moderation kills. "

>

> This is why when celebrated vegan chefs like Tal repeatedly say,

" Fat is Flavor, " I believe he isn't really helping the human

animals and is basically a nutritional moron. PCRM recently praised

his cookbook, " Conscious Cooking " while dissing Julia Childs,

mentioning heart disease, yadda, whereas in fact, some of his recipes are

significantly higher in added fat then hers!

>

> " Daiya Cheese, " which so many vegans worship, has more fat

per serving than WHOLE MILK mozzarella. It's essentially a

nutritiously vapid food-like substance that's mostly oil. " But

it melts! " proclaim the fat-addicted vegans. " It saves

[non-human] animals! " yell the animal rights activists.

>

> Big whoop. Remember that when they put the stents in.

Which reminds me: how ironic that many articles about President

Clinton's recent surgery mentioned that his last one (quadruple bypass) was

successful. Successful? That means he didn't die from

complications. If it were successful, he wouldn't need the

stents. You see, modern medicine CANNOT cure heart disease, only

extend one's life a bit. Yet, two people, independently, 20 years of

peer-reviewed research, have REVERSED IT through a no-added fat diet (one

was vegetarian, one was vegan). Both men recommend NO added oil, not

even in moderation. Here's 15 documented and referenced reasons to

avoid added oil to help elucidate the problems.

>

> How can anyone intelligently argue against this? Added oil/fat,

salt, and sugar is killing us in huge numbers. It's not just a meat

or dairy issue. To argue against no added fat and limiting sugar and

salt in your diet is like arguing against evolution, gravity, and the Earth

revolving around the Sun. We're talking facts here people, not

theory, conjecture, or educated guesses.

>

> My " take no prisoners " approach stems from Dr. Esselsytn

telling me in that interview I did with him three years ago this

week. He didn't want to just reduce the numbers (a la Mediterranean

Diet as he pointed out in someone else's interview), he wanted to crush it

(different phraseology) . By thinking of such fatty, salty, and or

sugary foods as " comforting, " it's too easy for many people to

justify consumption of same, and continued addiction. Making a fatty

vegan mac'n'cheese for your kids is not loving, it's potentially

killing. Creating future fat addicts.

>

> Re-training your taste buds to not crave excess salt, sugar, and fat,

is doable (around 14 wks.), but, imho, like an alcoholic, it's usually an

" all or nothing " situation for most of us. Fortunately,

many of the so-called " comfort " foods can be duplicated, to

varying degree, without the fat, sugar, salt, and unpronounceable

chemicals. Perhaps, though, the best strategy, is to create new and

healthier comfort foods. We can then break with the unhealthy

past and establish new rituals based upon new knowledge.

>

> For those interested, Jonathan Foer goes into the issue a lot in his

book, " Eating Animals. " His work surprised me in depth of

thought and overall approach. The issue of family rituals and eating

was one of the book's arcs that he was wrestling with in his eventual

decision that eating factory farmed meat was wrong. There would be

new family rituals regarding food, they would be healthy, and they would

not involve meat. In effect, " healthy " comfort foods would

be emphasized, and his child would have a better chance of living longer

>

> Optimally, the healthiest comfort food is no-added oil, minimal sugar,

minimal salt, and vegan. The evidence is in, and if one can eliminate

the emotional attachments and taste addictions, one can drastically

increase opportunities for a longer and healthier life.

>

>

>

>

> Patricia

>

------------ --------- --------- ------

To send an email to -unsubscr ibe (AT) (DOT)

com

Guest guest

I have walnuts and a banana for breakfast on working days – I can’t

eat before I go to work. On weekend mornings I have porridge.

Jo

On Behalf Of Patricia

01 March 2010 08:26

I love them and eat them and don't have a weight problem.

Patricia

--- On Sun, 2/28/10, heartwerk <jo.heartwork

wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Sunday, February 28, 2010, 11:55 PM

Avacado and nuts are highish

fat foods - just good fat.

Jo

yarrow wrote:

>

> I disagree that people who don't eat fat and sugar feel deprived.

>

> I, personally, don't like greasy food and don't cook with oil. I much

> prefer eating foods such as avocado or nuts or (my favorite) peanut

> sauce, rather than coating my food with oil. It's possible to

> stir-fry using water, or a sauce with peanut butter, agave syrup,

> rice vinegar, and water.

>

> In my experience, since I don't eat greasy food, eating high-fat

> foods is a miserable experience. The last time I ordered eggplant

> casserole in a vegan restaurant, I had a stomachache the rest of the

> day because I'm not used to all that fat.

>

> Ditto for high-sugar foods: I didn't even eat icing as a kid and have

> eaten cake now and then mostly to be polite. If it tastes mostly like

> sugar, I can't choke it down even to be polite, though.

>

> Food without oil, sugar, and salt is not boring. I've been eating

> from my garden a lot lately. Tonight's salad contains mache, miner's

> lettuce, garlic chives, and parsley. The main course is a lentil soup

> made with nettles, chinese celery, celery, marjoram, perennial kale,

> and parsley from my garden, plus onion.

>

>

>

> At 3:25 PM -0700 2/28/10, Dena Jo wrote:

> I disagree with the " good for us " part of the your sentence

about

> fats only because free-standing fats don't exist in nature, and I

> don't believe that God or nature, however you want to view it, gave

> our bodies a requirement that God or nature didn't provide for. If

> olive oil is supposedly good for us, then we should be consuming it

> in the form of olives.

>

> That said, nothing is going to make being vegan a more miserable

> experience that feeling completely deprived, and I don't see why we

> need to be. An occasional high-fat meal or high-sugar dessert is

not

> going to kill us. The trick is that it needs to be occasional and

> not every day.

>

> -

> <moondreamer64_2000Patricia

> I think I didn't make it clear that I don't personally believe that

> that is all so bad for us; I should have added a comment.I really

> don't want to live like a prisoner and be isolated from everyone

> else by never being able to eat anything but the most boring food

> possible. As far as fat is concerned, I believe that there are fats

> that in moderation are nor only harmless, but are indeed good for us.

>

---

To send an email to -!

Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

>>>> But, we have the brains and ability to extract that oil from the

olives. Some people don't think we should eat olives, avocados or nuts,

but I don't think they are bad in moderation. <<<<

This has been an interesting discussion. Thought I'd go ahead and chime in.

I'm in Patricia's camp on this one. Humans are a very adaptable species,

and we can thrive on a wide range of diets. It won't hurt anyone who

wants to focus on a natural sort of diet, but I also think vegans who go

for things that are processed from plants -- olive oil, wine, beer,

tofu, and so forth -- are doing just fine.

And, most especially, the coffee!

Cheers,

Trish

--

Trish Carr

http://home.comcast.net/~bantrymoon/

Guest guest

It sort of did, but I wasn't offended.Patricia--- On Mon, 3/1/10, Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecek wrote:Sarah Tomecek <sarah.tomecekRe: Re: From VegSource Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 8:53 AM

I hope that didn't sound like an attack it wasn't meant to"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Sun, February 28, 2010 10:56:15 PMRe: Re: From VegSource

deprived.

vinegar, and water.

I disagree with the "good for us" part of the your

-

Patricia