IndiaDivine.org

Digest Number 4867

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone, I am adding to the discussion on vegan kids.

I have two vegan boys. They are now 11 and 7.

Throughout the years, there has been criticisim from my relatives, neighbors, strangers etc.

For this reason, I am extra informed, I read all that I can about nutrition. This way I am confident that I am doing the right thing. I am confident that they are getting enough of the vitamins and minerals that they need to grow up strong and healthy. I have made an extra effort to cook vegetables in an exciting, variety of delicious ways and so far they have a good appetite for nutritious food.

I always have a polite comeback for someone who doesn't agree our lifestyle. Most of the comments or opinions are from people afraid of change. For example,

When the ice cream truck passed by, one of my neighbors offered to buy my children a vanilla softie. When I said thanks, but no thanks, she was appalled and said that I was a child abuser.

"that is so mean!" she said.

I then said that they are more than welcome to eat Ices, (the ones without dairy) and that they also have a freezer fulll of yummy vegan ice cream in our house, (coconut based, rice based, and soy based ones). She was still shocked.

My Aunt.. keeps handing me articles about how important calcium is for growing children.

"but children need calcium!" She says this in front of my kids..

I then tell her that the best sources of calcium are actually coming from plants.

etc. etc.

My kids rarely get sick and when they do their colds, last shorter than other kids colds.

They are strong and healthy and they are in a school for gifted kids.

The most important thing that I am proud of in them is that

they have compassion and are sensitive to animals. They don't think of them as food.

I am confident that I am doing the right thing for their health, minds, and for our fellow creatures by raising them vegans.

Anouk

Sometimes I'm stuck for ideas too.

When you run out of ideas a good thing to do is do a search for "vegan blogs"

There are hundreds of crazy vegan people (a good kind of crazy) that have tons of time on their hands and all they do is take pictures of the yummy food they eat and put it on their blogs :)

They always inspire me and give me all kinds of good ideas with their delicious food pictures.

Another website I often go to for inspiration and ideas is http://www.vegan-food.net/ they have thousands of recipes.

love,

Anouk

______________________1a. sandwich fillings -suggestions please Posted by: "sylvana_santucci" sylvana_santucci sylvana_santucci Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am ((PST))Hi, Im stuck for ideas and getting a little tired of pittas filled with houmous and salad + grated carrots! Help make my lunchtimes more interesting :o)Thanks Sylvana

I will say that being vegan is exhausting for me. All I seem to do is shop, chop and cook. It's a good thing I have only myself to take care of. I found 2 good cookbooks at the library, The Vegan Family cookbook and Vegan With A Vengeance. I may have to buy them.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Anouk <zurumato wrote:Anouk <zurumato Re: Digest Number 4867 Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 9:18 AM

There are hundreds of crazy vegan people (a good kind of crazy) that have tons of time on their hands and all they do is take pictures of the yummy food they eat and put it on their blogs :)

They always inspire me and give me all kinds of good ideas with their delicious food pictures.

Another website I often go to for inspiration and ideas is http://www.vegan-food.net/ they have thousands of recipes.

love,

Anouk

______________________1a. sandwich fillings -suggestions please Posted by: "sylvana_santucci" sylvana_santucci sylvana_santucci Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am ((PST))Hi, Im stuck for ideas and getting a little tired of pittas filled with houmous and salad + grated carrots! Help make my lunchtimes more interesting :o)Thanks Sylvana

You need to plan to have only one cooking day during the week, where you can make several dishes, then divide those dishes up into single serving sizes and freeze them. Then the rest of the week, you can just pull a meal out of the freezer and add a salad or something. And then every few weeks, you'll be able to skip the cooking day because you'll have enough meals and enough variety already in the freezer. Casseroles, soups, chilis, and tomato-based pasta dishes all freeze really, really well. In fact, I try always to have a soup, a chili and a pasta dish in my freezer at all times.

Dena

-

Patricia

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:21 AM

Re: Re: Digest Number 4867

I will say that being vegan is exhausting for me. All I seem to do is shop, chop and cook. It's a good thing I have only myself to take care of. I found 2 good cookbooks at the library, The Vegan Family cookbook and Vegan With A Vengeance. I may have to buy them.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Anouk <zurumato > wrote:

Anouk <zurumato > Re: Digest Number 4867 Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 9:18 AM

love,

Anouk

______________________1a. sandwich fillings -suggestions please Posted by: "sylvana_santucci" sylvana_santucci (AT) (DOT) co.uk sylvana_santucci Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am ((PST))Hi, Im stuck for ideas and getting a little tired of pittas filled with houmous and salad + grated carrots! Help make my lunchtimes more interesting :o)Thanks Sylvana

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2714 - Release 02/28/10 00:34:00

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2714 - Release 02/28/10

00:34:00

Guest guest

I do have beans, rice, quinoa, chili and pasta sauce, taco filling, burgers, tortillas and hamburger buns in the freezer, but it's the fresh stuff that goes with them that keeps me busy. I always seem to need something that I don't have in the house.Patricia--- On Sun, 2/28/10, Dena Jo <DenaJo2 wrote:Dena Jo <DenaJo2Re: Re: Digest Number 4867 Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 2:16 PM

You need to plan to have only one cooking day during the week, where you can make several dishes, then divide those dishes up into single serving sizes and freeze them. Then the rest of the week, you can just pull a meal out of the freezer and add a salad or something. And then every few weeks, you'll be able to skip the cooking day because you'll have enough meals and enough variety already in the freezer. Casseroles, soups, chilis, and tomato-based pasta dishes all freeze really, really well. In fact, I try always to have a soup, a chili and a pasta dish in my freezer at all times.

Dena

-

Patricia

Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:21 AM

Re: Re: Digest Number 4867

I will say that being vegan is exhausting for me. All I seem to do is shop, chop and cook. It's a good thing I have only myself to take care of. I found 2 good cookbooks at the library, The Vegan Family cookbook and Vegan With A Vengeance. I may have to buy them.Patricia--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Anouk <zurumato > wrote:

Anouk <zurumato > Re: Digest Number 4867@gro ups.comFriday, February 26, 2010, 9:18 AM

Another website I often go to for inspiration and ideas is http://www.vegan- food.net/ they have thousands of recipes.

love,

Anouk

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______1a. sandwich fillings -suggestions please Posted by: "sylvana_santucci" sylvana_santucci@ .co. uk sylvana_santucci Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am ((PST))Hi, Im stuck for ideas and getting a little tired of pittas filled with houmous and salad + grated carrots! Help make my lunchtimes more interesting :o)Thanks Sylvana

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2714 - Release 02/28/10 00:34:00

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2714 - Release 02/28/10 00:34:00