IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi - When my Beloved appears,

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear friends,

Here is a beautiful Sufi Poem posted by permission of Ivan Granger, owner of this site. It confirms our teaching's proposition that in the non-dual state- the worshiper and the worshiped become One. Ivan's notes at the end of the posting are always worth reading, and his choice of music is good.

Regards to all,

Alan --- On Fri, 22/8/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi - When my Beloved appears,alanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 22 August, 2008, 3:51 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

When my Beloved appears,

By Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi(1165 - 1240)

English version by Reynold A. Nicholson

When my Beloved appears,With what eye do I see Him?With His eye, not with mine,For none sees Him except Himself.

-- from The Mystics of Islam, by Reynold A. Nicholson

Amazon.com / Photo by tanakawho /

============

Thought for the Day:

Allow yourself to noticewhat you are feeling.Then -- notice yourself feeling.Then -- notice yourself.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Mercan Dede

Journeys of a Dervish

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Ibn 'Arabi is considered by many to be the greatest Sufi philosopher. He was one of the most prolific of Sufi writers, having composed an immense volume of work in his lifetime in both prose and verse, influencing philosophical and mystical thought, not only in the Muslim world, but also in Christian Europe.Born in Murcia, in Moorish Spain, Ibn 'Arabi could trace his ancestry back to ancient Arabia. When he was a boy, his family moved to Sevilla (Seville) where he began his studies. During a childhood illness, he had a transformative vision that set him firmly on the mystical path.Ibn 'Arabi traveled throughout the Islamic world -- Spain, North Africa, the Middle East. He spent the last ten years of his life in Damascus.---What does ibn Arabi mean when he says that he sees God, the Beloved, not with his own eyes but with God's eye? These lines sound

like ibn Arabi is playing a poetic word game, but he is actually expressing a deep truth: God is not perceived directly with the physical senses, not even by the subtle senses. You do not see the Beloved; the Beloved is simply seen.Sight, the senses, even the subtle senses of inner visions compartmentalize awareness. They break perception down into manageable pieces that the mundane consciousness can process and understand. But to truly see God, to be fully and consciously in the presence of the Beloved, you must look not with the physical eyes or the limited mind but with the whole awareness that flows through you.The selfish sense of self, the ego, keeps the conscious mind busy slicing up reality into small fragments, for only in that scattered reality can the ego pretend it is in control of anything. The holistic reality is too immense and too complete for the petty tyrant of the ego-self to maintain its illusion of

dominion.So the first task is -- with supreme patience and balance and subtlety -- to unseat the ego in order to open the possibility of genuine, unhampered perception of the Divine. The resulting unbroken, unsegregated awareness is "His eye." It is the holistic awareness that does not begin and end but simply permeates yourself and all things. It is not 'your' eye because that awareness doesn't feed back into or reaffirm the egoistic self. Instead, it is "His eye," the eye of the Eternal Beloved that sees all as a living unity. It is only through this eternal awareness that we become aware of the Eternal, "For none sees Him except Himself."Another way of trying to put this into words is to say that you and I don't see God in the normal sense; instead God shares awareness of Himself through us. When we lovingly purify our awareness and remove the shadow of the ego, we become like a clear mirror through which the Beloved sees His

own reflection. As individual sparks of consciousness, we don't do the seeing so much as participate in it.Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Book: Hymns of Divine Love - St. Symeon the New Theologian's discourses are readily available in English, but as far as I can tell this is the only English translation of his complete hymns... More

Poetry Chaikhana is Back Up - The Poetry Chaikhana web site — including the forum and blog — were down for much of Friday, Aug. 15. More

Video: silent lotus peace poetry - silent lotus is a regular contributor to he Poetry Chaikhana Forum. His is a voice of wisdom, heart, and stillness. More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaThank you to those of you who have made donations to the Poetry Chaikhana last week:- Emma (PA), Eldbjørg (Norway)Thank you to the new voluntary rs and supporters.- Eldbjørg (Norway)Collectively your contributions add up. Thank you, all!To those who can't easily contribute, your supportive thoughts are also appreciated!---A few gentle reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library.

Tech support! When technical problems arise with the Poetry Chaikhana, Ivan has to drop his income-producing job in order to keep those "pen-wielding poets" happy.

The Poetry Chaikhana looks to the core that unifies all religions.

Contributing will put a smile on your face!

Ivan supports himself and his family through part-time work. Your contribution helps him to cover his expenses and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Fri 22 Aug 18:18:53 IDT 2008

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs Add to

Contacts

Re: [Poetry

Chaikhana] Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi - When my Beloved appears,

Dear friends,

Here is a beautiful Sufi Poem posted by permission of Ivan

Granger, owner of this site. It confirms our teaching's

proposition that in the non-dual state- the worshiper and the

worshiped become One. Ivan's notes at the end of the posting

are always worth reading, and his choice of music is good.

Regards to all,

Alan

--- On Fri, 22/8/08, Poetry Chaikhana

<ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan

[Poetry Chaikhana] Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi - When my

Beloved appears,

alanadamsjacobs

Friday, 22 August, 2008, 3:51 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

When my Beloved appears,

By Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi