IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Baba Kuhi of Shiraz - In the market, in the cloister--only God I saw.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear friends,

An inspiring poem posted by kind permission of Ivan Granger--- On Wed, 10/9/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Baba Kuhi of Shiraz - In the market, in the cloister--only God I saw.alanadamsjacobsDate: Wednesday, 10 September, 2008, 5:43 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

In the market, in the cloister--only God I saw.

By Baba Kuhi of Shiraz(980? - 1050)

English version by Reynold A. Nicholson

In the market, in the cloister--only God I saw.In the valley and on the mountain--only God I saw.Him I have seen beside me oft in tribulation;In favour and in fortune--only God I saw.In prayer and fasting, in praise and contemplation,In the religion of the Prophet--only God I saw.Neither soul nor body, accident nor substance,Qualities nor causes--only God I saw.I oped mine eyes and by the light of His face around meIn all the eye discovered--only God I saw.Like a candle I was melting in His fire:Amidst the flames outflashing--only God I saw.Myself with mine own eyes I saw most clearly,But when I looked with God's eyes--only God I saw.I passed away into nothingness, I vanished,And lo, I was the All-living--only God I saw.

-- from The Mystics of Islam, by Reynold A. Nicholson

Amazon.com / Photo by James Gordon /

============

Thought for the Day:

Whether our stories are epic or humble, whether we live on the sharp edges or the flat plains, we are all on an immense journey.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Ray Spiegel Ensemble

Sum and Kali

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -This poem beautifully conveys the sense one has in the deepest union in which you only see the Divine. You can still see the forms about you, mountains and valleys, you are still aware of tribulation and the strain of fasting, as well as the elation of prayer and the peace of contemplation -- but all of that seems like a shifting glaze upon the surface of the Divine which is everywhere. Nothing has any real or tangible substance in and of itself. Even your own body, even your own sense of individuality, are seen as phantom-like, the very idea of them disappearing into that living radiance.No matter where you look, you find yourself proclaiming -- "only God I saw."--Baba Kuhi is an Iranian Sufi poet-saint. He spent many years in retreat and prayer in a mountain cave just north of Shiraz.He died in 1050 A.D., and was buried just outside of Shiraz, on

a hill called "the green old man" (Pir-i-sabz). It is said that just before Baba Kuhi died, he made a famous promise that if anyone could stay awake for forty consecutive nights at his tomb that person would be granted the gift of poetry, immortality, and his heart's desire.A story is told about the later Sufi poet Hafiz: When the young Hafiz was in mourning because the young woman he loved was to marry the prince of Shiraz, he remembered the famous 'promise of Baba Kuhi.' Hafiz hoped to gain the young woman's hand and kept his vigil at Baba Kuhi's tomb at night, working in the bakery by day. Finally, utterly exhausted, Hafiz saw a radiant angel who asked him what he desired most. Hafiz was so dazzled by the sight of the angel that he forgot about the young woman and declared that he wanted God.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video: Vijali's World Wheel Project - Vijali Hamilton creates stunning sacred art that emerges organically from the earth — environmental sculpture carved in hillsides and mountaintops. More

Video: American Ramadan - A good glimpse into the ways American Muslims observe Ramadan, the holy month of fasting and communion with God. More

Book: Hymns of Divine Love - Comments (1) St. Symeon the New Theologian's discourses are readily available in English, but as far as I can tell this is the only English translation of his complete hymns... More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".