IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A good poem from Ivan.

Greetings from Arunachala to all!

Alan

--- On Wed, 12/11/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casingalanadamsjacobsDate: Wednesday, 12 November, 2008, 5:23 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

You glide between the heart and its casing

By Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj)(9th Century)

English version by Bernard Lewis

You glide between the heart and its casing as tears glide from the eyelid.You dwell in my inwardness, in the depths of my heart, as souls dwell in bodies.Nothing passes from rest to motion unless you move it in hidden ways,O new moon.

-- from Music of a Distant Drum: Classical Arabic, Persian, Turkish & Hebrew Poems, Translated by Bernard Lewis

Amazon.com / Photo by Hans Vink /

============

Thought for the Day:

Love alone completes the work,love: personal, immediate, and all-consuming.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Elizabeth Reian Bennett

Song of the True Hand

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mansur al-Hallaj is one of the more controversial figures of Sufism. Considered by many to be a great poet-saint, he was executed for blasphemy and sorcery.The name al-Hallaj means "wool carder," probably a reference to his family's traditional occupation. Al-Hallaj was born in the province of Fars, Persia (Iran). He later moved to what is now Iraq, where he took up religious studies, particularly the Sufi way.He was married and stayed with his wife all his life.Orthodox religious authorities took offense at his poetry and teachings, particularly the line in one of his great poems "Ana 'l-Haqq," which translates as "I am the Real," but can also be translated as "I am the Truth" or "I am God" -- acknowledging the mystical realization of unity with the Eternal. He was condemned by a council of theologians, imprisoned for nine years, and eventually put to

death. He is revered today as a martyr for truth by many Sufis and mystics.--Nothing passes from rest to motion unless you move it in hidden waysThis poem beautifully evokes the sense how, in the sacred state, movement ceases for the individual, though there is not inactivity. All action -- inner and outer -- becomes only an appearance of self-governed movement, when, in reality, it is seen to be the natural flowing of the Divine through us. The individual identity only pretends to be directing the movement but, like a gull resting on the ocean waves, it is simply carried along by the moon's tug upon the tide.Have a beautiful day!IvanPS - Past Life MusingsFor those of you who are curious to know a little bit more about who this strange character is who keeps sending you these poetry emails, check out the 'Silent Guns' blog post mentioned below. A fascinating experience from my early

adult years that turned my world around. You have to be a little strange after something like that...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video & Music: Miriam Makeba “Mama Africa†- I just heard that Miram Makeba “Mama Africa†died a couple of days ago. Her music, emerging out of South Africa, touched the world… More

Silent Guns - A Past Life Memory - She hinted a few times that she saw me fighting in the American Civil War. When dating a psychic, one must expect the occasional odd statement... More

- More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Dearest Alan

thank for the joy your message invoked....

this "poems" radiates that what i feel inside....

May i send it to those who i hope can "use" it?

in love

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:11 AM

Re: [Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casing

A good poem from Ivan.

Alan

--- On Wed, 12/11/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan (AT) poetry-chaikhana (DOT) com> wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan (AT) poetry-chaikhana (DOT) com>[Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casingalanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.ukDate: Wednesday, 12 November, 2008, 5:23 PM

You glide between the heart and its casing as tears glide from the eyelid.You dwell in my inwardness, in the depths of my heart, as souls dwell in bodies.Nothing passes from rest to motion unless you move it in hidden ways,O new moon.

-- from Music of a Distant Drum: Classical Arabic, Persian, Turkish & Hebrew Poems, Translated by Bernard Lewis

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Elizabeth Reian Bennett

Song of the True Hand

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mansur al-Hallaj is one of the more controversial figures of Sufism. Considered by many to be a great poet-saint, he was executed for blasphemy and sorcery.The name al-Hallaj means "wool carder," probably a reference to his family's traditional occupation. Al-Hallaj was born in the province of Fars, Persia (Iran). He later moved to what is now Iraq, where he took up religious studies, particularly the Sufi way.He was married and stayed with his wife all his life.Orthodox religious authorities took offense at his poetry and teachings, particularly the line in one of his great poems "Ana 'l-Haqq," which translates as "I am the Real," but can also be translated as "I am the Truth" or "I am God" -- acknowledging the mystical realization of unity with the Eternal. He was condemned by a council of theologians, imprisoned for nine years, and eventually put to death. He is revered today as a martyr for truth by many Sufis and mystics.--Nothing passes from rest to motion unless you move it in hidden waysThis poem beautifully evokes the sense how, in the sacred state, movement ceases for the individual, though there is not inactivity. All action -- inner and outer -- becomes only an appearance of self-governed movement, when, in reality, it is seen to be the natural flowing of the Divine through us. The individual identity only pretends to be directing the movement but, like a gull resting on the ocean waves, it is simply carried along by the moon's tug upon the tide.Have a beautiful day!IvanPS - Past Life MusingsFor those of you who are curious to know a little bit more about who this strange character is who keeps sending you these poetry emails, check out the 'Silent Guns' blog post mentioned below. A fascinating experience from my early adult years that turned my world around. You have to be a little strange after something like that...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video & Music: Miriam Makeba “Mama Africa†- I just heard that Miram Makeba “Mama Africa†died a couple of days ago. Her music, emerging out of South Africa, touched the world… More Silent Guns - A Past Life Memory - She hinted a few times that she saw me fighting in the American Civil War. When dating a psychic, one must expect the occasional odd statement... More - More

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.2/1783 - Release 12/11/2008 10.01

Dear Michael,

yes, please send it to whom ever you wish. Ivan has given permission.

All love,

Alan --- On Thu, 13/11/08, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Re: [Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casing Date: Thursday, 13 November, 2008, 7:04 AM

Dearest Alan

thank for the joy your message invoked....

this "poems" radiates that what i feel inside....

May i send it to those who i hope can "use" it?

in love

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:11 AM

Re: [Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casing

A good poem from Ivan.

Alan

--- On Wed, 12/11/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com> wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com>[Poetry Chaikhana] Hallaj (Mansur al-Hallaj) - You glide between the heart and its casingalanadamsjacobs@ .co. ukWednesday, 12 November, 2008, 5:23 PM

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Elizabeth Reian Bennett

Song of the True Hand

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mansur al-Hallaj is one of the more controversial figures of Sufism. Considered by many to be a great poet-saint, he was executed for blasphemy and sorcery.The name al-Hallaj means "wool carder," probably a reference to his family's traditional occupation. Al-Hallaj was born in the province of Fars, Persia (Iran). He later moved to what is now Iraq, where he took up religious studies, particularly the Sufi way.He was married and stayed with his wife all his life.Orthodox religious authorities took offense at his poetry and teachings, particularly the line in one of his great poems "Ana 'l-Haqq," which translates as "I am the Real," but can also be translated as "I am the Truth" or "I am God" -- acknowledging the mystical realization of unity with the Eternal. He was condemned by a council of theologians, imprisoned for nine years, and eventually put to

death. He is revered today as a martyr for truth by many Sufis and mystics.--Nothing passes from rest to motion unless you move it in hidden waysThis poem beautifully evokes the sense how, in the sacred state, movement ceases for the individual, though there is not inactivity. All action -- inner and outer -- becomes only an appearance of self-governed movement, when, in reality, it is seen to be the natural flowing of the Divine through us. The individual identity only pretends to be directing the movement but, like a gull resting on the ocean waves, it is simply carried along by the moon's tug upon the tide.Have a beautiful day!IvanPS - Past Life MusingsFor those of you who are curious to know a little bit more about who this strange character is who keeps sending you these poetry emails, check out the 'Silent Guns' blog post mentioned below. A fascinating experience from my early

adult years that turned my world around. You have to be a little strange after something like that...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

Video & Music: Miriam Makeba “Mama Africa†- I just heard that Miram Makeba “Mama Africa†died a couple of days ago. Her music, emerging out of South Africa, touched the world… More Silent Guns - A Past Life Memory - She hinted a few times that she saw me fighting in the American Civil War. When dating a psychic, one must expect the occasional odd statement... More - More

Click here

Click here

Click here

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

============

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.9.2/1783 - Release 12/11/2008 10.01