IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Czeslaw Milosz - This Only

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A THOUGHTFUL POEM SENT BY IVAN.

ARUNACHALA OM!

'

ALAN--- On Mon, 17/11/08, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Czeslaw Milosz - This OnlyalanadamsjacobsDate: Monday, 17 November, 2008, 4:55 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

This Only

By Czeslaw Milosz(1911 - 2004)

English version by Robert Hass

A valley and above it forests in autumn colors.A voyager arrives, a map leads him there.Or perhaps memory. Once long ago in the sun,When snow first fell, riding this wayHe felt joy, strong, without reason,Joy of the eyes. Everything was the rhythmOf shifting trees, of a bird in flight,Of a train on the viaduct, a feast in motion.He returns years later, has no demands.He wants only one, most precious thing:To see, purely and simply, without name,Without expectations, fears, or hopes,At the edge where there is no I or not-I.

-- from The Collected Poems, by Czeslaw Milosz

Amazon.com / Photo by sportsilliterate /

============

Thought for the Day:

Love the day.Look deeply into the eyes of your child.Spend time with yourself.These are true worship.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Bhakti

Vraja

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mm. Not much to say. A beautiful place that calls us to a perfect, wordless thought:He wants only one, most precious thing:To see, purely and simply, without name,Without expectations, fears, or hopes,At the edge where there is no I or not-I.---Czeslaw Milosz was a Polish-American was more than a Nobel Prize winning writer; he was for a rare voice of conscience, human insight, and gentle mysticism, in the midst of the Cold War era that defined the latter half of the 20th century.Milosz was born in a small town in Lithuania during the final years of czarist Russia. At the end of World War I, while he was still a boy, his family moved to Vilna. There, he received a rigorous Roman Catholic education, but one that didn't allow for much intellectual freedom or exploration.After graduating from the University of Vilna in 1934

with a degree in law, Czeslaw Milosz traveled to Paris, where he connected with his uncle, a diplomat who put Milosz in touch with the Parisian arts and poetry community.Czeslaw Milosz settled in Warsaw just before the German invasion at the beginning of World War II. He became a leading figure in the Warsaw literary scene, and championed art that was both personal and political, rather than merely an expression of aesthetic craft. As the war and occupation continued, Milosz became a writer for the Polish resistance movement.At the end of the war, when Poland fell under Communist control, Milosz briefly became a diplomat in the service of the new government. However, in the early 1950s, he sought asylum in France, along with his wife and children.In 1960, Milosz moved to the United States, becoming a professor at the University of California at Berkeley.Very late in life, Czeslaw Milosz returned to Poland as a cultural

hero, and settled in Krakow. It is there that he died in 2004.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video & Music: Miriam Makeba “Mama Africa†- I just heard that Miram Makeba “Mama Africa†died a couple of days ago. Her music, emerging out of South Africa, touched the world… More

Silent Guns - A Past Life Memory - Comments (7) She hinted a few times that she saw me fighting in the American Civil War. When dating a psychic, one must expect the occasional odd statement... More

- More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".