IndiaDivine.org

From Gems from Bhagavan- Self Enquiry

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From Gems P.18

'Who Am I?' is not a mantra.

It means that you must find out where in you arises the 'I Thought', which is

the source of all other thoughts.

But if you find that vichara marga (path of enquiry) too hard for you, you go on

repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal.

There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

"you go on repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal."Did Bhagavan say this? I thought he was very emphatic about vichara.--- On Sat, 12/20/08, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs From Gems from Bhagavan- Self Enquiry Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 9:06 PM

From Gems P.18

'Who Am I?' is not a mantra.

It means that you must find out where in you arises the 'I Thought', which is the source of all other thoughts.

But if you find that vichara marga (path of enquiry) too hard for you, you go on repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal.

There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

Dear Kanchi,

Yes. This is quoted by A.Devaraja Mudaliar who was an attendant to Bhagavan in his later years.He was the author of Day by Day with Bhagavan. This aid was given to those who found Atma Vichara too difficult and who needed something to start with which was easier. It probably led to Self Enquiry in due course.

Regards,

Alan --- On Sun, 21/12/08, Kanchi Kamakoti <hindu1010 wrote:

Kanchi Kamakoti <hindu1010Re: From Gems from Bhagavan- Self Enquiry Date: Sunday, 21 December, 2008, 8:37 AM

"you go on repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal."Did Bhagavan say this? I thought he was very emphatic about vichara.--- On Sat, 12/20/08, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> From Gems from Bhagavan- Self EnquirySaturday, December 20, 2008, 9:06 PM

From Gems P.18'Who Am I?' is not a mantra.It means that you must find out where in you arises the 'I Thought', which is the source of all other thoughts.But if you find that vichara marga (path of enquiry) too hard for you, you go on repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal.There is no harm in using 'I' as a mantra. It is the first name of God.

This can also be found in Sri Ramana's "Who Am I?"

9. What is the path of inquiry for understanding the nature of the mind?

That which rises as ‘I’ in this body is the mind. If one inquires as to where in the body the thought ‘I’ rises first, one would discover that it rises in the heart. That is the place of the mind’s origin. Even if one thinks constantly ‘I’ ‘I’, one will be led to that place. Of all the thoughts that arise in the mind, the ‘I’ thought is the first. It is only after the rise of this that the other thoughts arise. It is after the appearance of the first personal pronoun that the second and third personal pronouns appear; without the first personal pronoun there will not be the second and third.

=====================

On Behalf Of Kanchi Kamakoti21 December 2008 08:38 Subject: Re: From Gems from Bhagavan- Self Enquiry

"you go on repeating 'I'-'I' and that will lead you to the same goal."Did Bhagavan say this? I thought he was very emphatic about vichara.- ,___