IndiaDivine.org

Milarepa - The Profound Definitive Meaning

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Milarepa was the Great Jnani of Tibetan Buddhism. The translator of his Biography into English was W.Y.Evans-Wentz. Wentz visited the Maharshi .(See Talks 17} in 1938. It is reported that he presented the Maharshi with a copy of his Book 'Tibet's Great Yogi Milarepa' which Bhagavan read and commended. Ivan Granger's notes at the end of the article are worth reading.

A.J.

--- On Fri, 9/1/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Milarepa - The Profound Definitive MeaningalanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 9 January, 2009, 4:25 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

The Profound Definitive Meaning

By Milarepa(1052 - 1135)

English version by Marpa Translation Committee

For the mind that masters view the emptiness dawnsIn the content seen not even an atom existsA seer and seen refined until they're goneThis way of realizing view, it works quite wellWhen meditation is clear light river flowThere is no need to confine it to sessions and breaksMeditator and object refined until they're goneThis heart bone of meditation, it beats quite wellWhen you're sure that conducts work is luminous lightAnd you're sure that interdependence is emptinessA doer and deed refined until they're goneThis way of working with conduct, it works quite wellWhen biased thinking has vanished into spaceNo phony facades, eight dharmas, nor hopes and fears,A keeper and kept refined until they're goneThis way of keeping samaya, it works quite wellWhen you've finally discovered your mind is

dharmakayaAnd you're really doing yourself and others good A winner and won refined until they're goneThis way of winning results, it works quite well.

/ Photo by meg and rahul /

============

Thought for the Day:

Spiritual practice is a sling shot.You tug and strain,but when you have enough tension-- just let go and soar!

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Begum Parveen Sultana

Parveen

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Seer and seen refined until they're gone...Look deeply enough, with your whole being, and the two merge. The object disappears into you. You disappear into it. Seer and seen are gone! What is left but a field living awareness?...it works quite well.Have a beautiful day, and remember to take a look around you. Who knows what adventure that glance might initiate?===Milarepa (often referred to as Jetsun Milarepa, meaning Milarepa the Revered One) is the central figure of early Tibetan Buddhism. He was a Buddhist saint, a yogi, a sorceror, a trickster, a wanderer, and a poet. He is both folk hero and cultural preceptor, the embodiment of the ideal in Tibetan Buddhism.The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa, an extensive collection of stories and poetry from the life of Milarepa, is a central text of popular Tibetan Buddhism. His life

stories and poetry are read devoutly even today to inspire determination in meditation and spiritual practice.Milarepa's father died when he was still a boy, and the land that should have passed to him was seized by relatives who treated the young Milarepa and his mother and sister as slaves. After several years of this cruelty and hard labor, Milarepa's mother convinced the teenaged boy to study magic with a local sorceror in order to take revenge on their relatives. Milarepa was so successful in this purpose that, it is said, a great hailstorm occurred, destroying the house during a wedding ceremony, killing several members of the family. In the aftermath of this incident, Milarepa felt such guilt for his actions that he vowed to cleanse himself of the evil karma he had accumulated.In his search for a pure spiritual teacher, Milarepa eventually met his guru, the Buddhist yogi and translator, Marpa, who was himself a disciple of the

famous Indian Buddhist master Naropa. Marpa, seeing Milarepa's great potential mixed with dark karma, put Milarepa through many years of severe trials and tests before he would formally accept Milarepa as a student.Milarepa then spent several years meditating in seclusion in remote mountain caves, struggling, at times, against the demonic forces of the mind, until he achieved the ultimate enlightenment.Rejecting the formalism of religious position and the endless squabbles of theological discourse, he adopted the life of a mendicant, traveling from village to village, speaking directly with the people he met, singing spontaneous songs of enlightenment and wisdom.IvanWhere was Wednesday's email?I know, I know... There was no poem on Wednesday, and no explanation. Truthfully, I didn't even turn my computer on that day. I had a New Years' flu, one of those that hits you like an avalanche. Wrapped in

blankets, hardly moving from the couch, I became much more familiar with the daytime television schedule than I care to admit. But I'm back now (mentally), mostly... Am I babbling now? Hmm, I wonder what's on TV...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

The Invasion of Gaza - Comments (3) Up until now I haven’t directly addressed the current invasion of Gaza, but I don’t want to appear to be ignoring this deeply traumatic world crisis... More

Video - Dawn - Serene morning, the world awakening to drowsy self-awareness. A new day, a new year, a new dawn… More

Poetry Chaikhana Around the World - Comments (23) Since the beginning of 2008 , the Poetry Chaikhana has already had visits from 203 different countries and territories... More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a very sincere thank you to every single one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money in the past week:- Jacky (Netherlands)-...And thank you to the many ongoing rs who donate a small amount each month!Each and every contribution makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

The Poetry Chaikhana has visitors from more than 200 countries! Your support helps to quietly carry a message of unity, respect, and spiritual exploration to all parts of the world.

$10/month -- the cost of one movie ticket.

Contributing will put a smile on your face!

Email list cleanup. Two-thirds of the email signups each day are really spam. Ivan spend a considerable amount of time each week sifting through the false signups.

Tech support! When technical problems arise with the Poetry Chaikhana, Ivan has to drop his income-producing job in order to keep those "pen-wielding poets" happy.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".