From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation-letter from Karla

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Karla,

A. Thank you for your letter. As it is rather long I propose answering your

points by inserting answers if necessary and my comment between your text. I

hope this will be O.K.Prefixed by an A. and K for you

K. Alan, I am confused as usual,  I don't remember how I found this group and

you know what, I don't even know what religion these teachings are from. 

A. The teachings are from Advaita which is the most advanced form of Hindu

Spirituality. It means 'not two'. It has a universal application as Non Dualism

and can be found in Zen, Tao, Sufism, Kabbalah and Gnostic Christianity.

Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, to whom this Group is dedicated is universaly

regarded as one of the, if not the highest exponent of this teaching in modern

times.

He is regarded by many as a Supreme Guru because he was one of those rare

Beings who could teach through silence.

I trust you are familiar with some details of his life and basic teachings. He

made an innovation by bringing the practice of Self Enquiry to the forefront of

his Teaching. This radical practice is ancient but was reserved for a chosen few

by their Brahmin Gurus and not generally available to all- East or West.

K. Not that it really matters, they are good teachings, but I probably should

have a clue.  I have a Zen Master I learn from usually at least a couple of

times a week in his lectures or classes.  I still think the Christian religion

has a lot of offer, unfortunately many Christians have very closed minds.  I

hope not to be too critical, but they do a lot of talking to God, but not very

much listening. 

A. Agreed.

K. I have not been meditating really very long, but I am amazed at what

information is available in the sea of knowledge we swim in if we just try to

tune in.  So many think God only spoke to people back in the ancient times and

he stopped talking to us after the bush burned up a long time ago. But, he is

just as involved now as ever, but maybe we have lost our ability to believe.  We

have allowed our logical grown up minds to block out the child in us that can be

carried away by imagination, to take delight in looking behind every tree to see

if there is an angel or farie there, to believe in miracles, to understand that

God loves us and the angels are always with us to guide us if we let them.  That

we are here to learn lessons, not just to go through painful experiences and

when we surrender we will understand that we will be taken care of.  As my

Master said once, when the Dali Lama sent him to the US he told him basically

that he would eat when

he needed to and sleep when he needed to, and that was all he really needed. 

When we turn away from the material things in this world and understand that the

true peace and contentment does not come through the satisfaction of the ego, 

winning in a competition, beating someone else out, collecting material items

for show or trying to be better than anyone else, it really does come

from knowing God. He is involved in our experience here on earth and all we have

to do is ask for help and it will come. But, we also have to remember, how we

conduct ourselves will have an impact on what we will manifest. 

A. Very well put and I am in general agreement.

K. The cause and effect, you reap what you sow.  I have learned that I have to

be very responsible in my actions and thoughts, because things come back to me

rather quickly now.   If we sow hate, anger, envy etc. you can bet it will come

back to you as negative energy you will have to deal with.  Even simple things

like bumping a shopping cart just a little to move it over just a little so you

can pass. Instead of being polite and excusing yourself so the person will move

the cart. Dang!  It really was just a little bump on the front of the cart to

straighten it out. But, then today it came back as a driver of a truck

intentionally hitting the left upper back of a man with his mirror.  Life is

full of surprises. 

A. Yes. This is the law of retributive Karma. See the Bhagavad Gita a key text

in Hinduism

K & A Love and Peace and to you.

Alan

-

Alan Jacobs

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:58 PM

From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO

translation

>

Verse 90. If the duties fulfilled according to the injunctions (of the sacred

lore) fail to generate devotion to the Supreme Being, then all such activity is

vain; it is (even) equal to sinful conduct,

since it creates (fresh) bondage.

(2) Action prescribed by the holy books, if performed more

or less unselfishly, purifies the mind and makes it capable of

devotion, which still further purifies the mind and leads on to

Self-Realization.

The same acts performed selfishly produce finite rewards, in the shape of

enjoyments here or in heaven; these enjoyments deepen the desire for them; they

thus set up a vicious circle which perpetuates bondage.

>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~

> These quotations are from the book,

> Guru--Ramana- -Vachana- -Mala by " Who, "

> published by Sri Ramanasramam.

Alan, you really are a blessing. Thank you. I think things are changing to a balance between men and women, where across the cultures we are going to have to respect the soul of the person regardless of the sex. The cultures who remain in the old ways, subduing women will not flourish. The feminine energy is powerful, if I might say, this energy should be understood and respected. Religions have been dominated so much by males over many centuries. I think the time has really come when the male and female will unite and be equal partners. Thank you for allowing "The Bastard God" to be acknowledged. Not everything good is masculine and bad feminine. We all share equal responsibility and credit. But, as you point out, I think when all of the religions are examined, all the fluff removed, they all come to the same principles. They may go about "enlightenment" in different ways, but the fundamental message in my mind is to love God, yourself and your fellow man and I would like to, add to love and respect nature and animals. To love, not in an "entertainment way" as my Master would say and have compassion for all living things. But of all virtues I consider love to be the greatest. If we have that, just about everything else is covered.

Yes, for a person who does not talk or socialize much I do tend to write too much. :-). Love and Light. k

-

Alan Jacobs

Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:15 AM

From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation-letter from Karla

Dear Karla, A. Thank you for your letter. As it is rather long I propose answering your points by inserting answers if necessary and my comment between your text. I hope this will be O.K.Prefixed by an A. and K for youK. Alan, I am confused as usual, I don't remember how I found this group and you know what, I don't even know what religion these teachings are from. A. The teachings are from Advaita which is the most advanced form of Hindu Spirituality. It means 'not two'. It has a universal application as Non Dualism and can be found in Zen, Tao, Sufism, Kabbalah and Gnostic Christianity.Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, to whom this Group is dedicated is universaly regarded as one of the, if not the highest exponent of this teaching in modern times.He is regarded by many as a Supreme Guru because he was one of those rare Beings who could teach through silence. I trust you are familiar with some details of his life and basic teachings. He made an innovation by bringing the practice of Self Enquiry to the forefront of his Teaching. This radical practice is ancient but was reserved for a chosen few by their Brahmin Gurus and not generally available to all- East or West. K. Not that it really matters, they are good teachings, but I probably should have a clue. I have a Zen Master I learn from usually at least a couple of times a week in his lectures or classes. I still think the Christian religion has a lot of offer, unfortunately many Christians have very closed minds. I hope not to be too critical, but they do a lot of talking to God, but not very much listening. A. Agreed.K. I have not been meditating really very long, but I am amazed at what information is available in the sea of knowledge we swim in if we just try to tune in. So many think God only spoke to people back in the ancient times and he stopped talking to us after the bush burned up a long time ago. But, he is just as involved now as ever, but maybe we have lost our ability to believe. We have allowed our logical grown up minds to block out the child in us that can be carried away by imagination, to take delight in looking behind every tree to see if there is an angel or farie there, to believe in miracles, to understand that God loves us and the angels are always with us to guide us if we let them. That we are here to learn lessons, not just to go through painful experiences and when we surrender we will understand that we will be taken care of. As my Master said once, when the Dali Lama sent him to the US he told him basically that he would eat whenhe needed to and sleep when he needed to, and that was all he really needed. When we turn away from the material things in this world and understand that the true peace and contentment does not come through the satisfaction of the ego, winning in a competition, beating someone else out, collecting material items for show or trying to be better than anyone else, it really does come from knowing God. He is involved in our experience here on earth and all we have to do is ask for help and it will come. But, we also have to remember, how we conduct ourselves will have an impact on what we will manifest. A. Very well put and I am in general agreement.K. The cause and effect, you reap what you sow. I have learned that I have to be very responsible in my actions and thoughts, because things come back to me rather quickly now. If we sow hate, anger, envy etc. you can bet it will come back to you as negative energy you will have to deal with. Even simple things like bumping a shopping cart just a little to move it over just a little so you can pass. Instead of being polite and excusing yourself so the person will move the cart. Dang! It really was just a little bump on the front of the cart to straighten it out. But, then today it came back as a driver of a truck intentionally hitting the left upper back of a man with his mirror. Life is full of surprises. A. Yes. This is the law of retributive Karma. See the Bhagavad Gita a key text in HinduismK & A Love and Peace and to you.Alan - Alan Jacobs Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:58 PM From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation> Verse 90. If the duties fulfilled according to the injunctions (of the sacred lore) fail to generate devotion to the Supreme Being, then all such activity is vain; it is (even) equal to sinful conduct,since it creates (fresh) bondage.(2) Action prescribed by the holy books, if performed moreor less unselfishly, purifies the mind and makes it capable ofdevotion, which still further purifies the mind and leads on to Self-Realization. The same acts performed selfishly produce finite rewards, in the shape of enjoyments here or in heaven; these enjoyments deepen the desire for them; they thus set up a vicious circle which perpetuates bondage.> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~> These quotations are from the book,> Guru--Ramana- -Vachana- -Mala by "Who,"> published by Sri Ramanasramam.

Dear Karla,

Thank you. Yes, I quite agree. Hinduism has many Goddesses in its Pantheon, and seems to honour the feminine in a very pronounced way, for all those who find this principle more helpful than the masculine in their devotion. Yes Love, conquers all things.

Love and light too,

Alan

--- On Fri, 16/1/09, karla <docdanes wrote:

karla <docdanesRe: From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation-letter from Karla Date: Friday, 16 January, 2009, 5:30 PM

Alan, you really are a blessing. Thank you. I think things are changing to a balance between men and women, where across the cultures we are going to have to respect the soul of the person regardless of the sex. The cultures who remain in the old ways, subduing women will not flourish. The feminine energy is powerful, if I might say, this energy should be understood and respected. Religions have been dominated so much by males over many centuries. I think the time has really come when the male and female will unite and be equal partners. Thank you for allowing "The Bastard God" to be acknowledged. Not everything good is masculine and bad feminine. We all share equal responsibility and credit. But, as you point out, I think when all of the religions are examined, all the fluff removed, they all come to the same principles. They may go about "enlightenment" in

different ways, but the fundamental message in my mind is to love God, yourself and your fellow man and I would like to, add to love and respect nature and animals. To love, not in an "entertainment way" as my Master would say and have compassion for all living things. But of all virtues I consider love to be the greatest. If we have that, just about everything else is covered.

Yes, for a person who does not talk or socialize much I do tend to write too much. :-). Love and Light. k

-

Alan Jacobs

Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:15 AM

From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation- letter from Karla

Dear Karla, A. Thank you for your letter. As it is rather long I propose answering your points by inserting answers if necessary and my comment between your text. I hope this will be O.K.Prefixed by an A. and K for youK. Alan, I am confused as usual, I don't remember how I found this group and you know what, I don't even know what religion these teachings are from. A. The teachings are from Advaita which is the most advanced form of Hindu Spirituality. It means 'not two'. It has a universal application as Non Dualism and can be found in Zen, Tao, Sufism, Kabbalah and Gnostic Christianity.Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, to whom this Group is dedicated is universaly regarded as one of the, if not the highest exponent of this teaching in modern times.He is regarded by many as a Supreme Guru because he was one of those rare Beings who could teach through silence. I trust you are familiar with some

details of his life and basic teachings. He made an innovation by bringing the practice of Self Enquiry to the forefront of his Teaching. This radical practice is ancient but was reserved for a chosen few by their Brahmin Gurus and not generally available to all- East or West. K. Not that it really matters, they are good teachings, but I probably should have a clue. I have a Zen Master I learn from usually at least a couple of times a week in his lectures or classes. I still think the Christian religion has a lot of offer, unfortunately many Christians have very closed minds. I hope not to be too critical, but they do a lot of talking to God, but not very much listening. A. Agreed.K. I have not been meditating really very long, but I am amazed at what information is available in the sea of knowledge we swim in if we just try to tune in. So many think God only spoke to people back in the ancient times

and he stopped talking to us after the bush burned up a long time ago. But, he is just as involved now as ever, but maybe we have lost our ability to believe. We have allowed our logical grown up minds to block out the child in us that can be carried away by imagination, to take delight in looking behind every tree to see if there is an angel or farie there, to believe in miracles, to understand that God loves us and the angels are always with us to guide us if we let them. That we are here to learn lessons, not just to go through painful experiences and when we surrender we will understand that we will be taken care of. As my Master said once, when the Dali Lama sent him to the US he told him basically that he would eat whenhe needed to and sleep when he needed to, and that was all he really needed. When we turn away from the material things in this world and understand that the true peace and contentment does not come

through the satisfaction of the ego, winning in a competition, beating someone else out, collecting material items for show or trying to be better than anyone else, it really does come from knowing God. He is involved in our experience here on earth and all we have to do is ask for help and it will come. But, we also have to remember, how we conduct ourselves will have an impact on what we will manifest. A. Very well put and I am in general agreement.K. The cause and effect, you reap what you sow. I have learned that I have to be very responsible in my actions and thoughts, because things come back to me rather quickly now. If we sow hate, anger, envy etc. you can bet it will come back to you as negative energy you will have to deal with. Even simple things like bumping a shopping cart just a little to move it over just a little so you can pass. Instead of being polite

and excusing yourself so the person will move the cart. Dang! It really was just a little bump on the front of the cart to straighten it out. But, then today it came back as a driver of a truck intentionally hitting the left upper back of a man with his mirror. Life is full of surprises. A. Yes. This is the law of retributive Karma. See the Bhagavad Gita a key text in HinduismK & A Love and Peace and to you.Alan - Alan Jacobs Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:58 PM From Garland of Guru's Sayings WHO translation> Verse 90. If the duties fulfilled according to the injunctions (of the sacred lore) fail to generate devotion to the Supreme Being, then all such activity is vain; it is (even) equal to sinful conduct,since it creates

(fresh) bondage.(2) Action prescribed by the holy books, if performed moreor less unselfishly, purifies the mind and makes it capable ofdevotion, which still further purifies the mind and leads on to Self-Realization. The same acts performed selfishly produce finite rewards, in the shape of enjoyments here or in heaven; these enjoyments deepen the desire for them; they thus set up a vicious circle which perpetuates bondage.> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~> These quotations are from the book,> Guru--Ramana- -Vachana- -Mala by "Who,"> published by Sri Ramanasramam.