IndiaDivine.org

How i came to the Maharshi - III

Rate this topic

Guest guest

THE MOUNTAIN PATH

July 1964

The aim of this journal is to set forth the traditional wisdom of all religions and all ages, especially as testified to by their saints and mystics, and to clarify the paths available to seekers in the conditions of our modern world.

How I came to the Maharshi - III

By 'D'

I first learnt of Sri Ramana Maharshi when I came across the book A Search in Secret India by Paul Brunton in 1943 or 1944. It made a tremendous impression on me and I must have read it three or four times; but somehow it did not occur to me that I could go to Tiruvannamalai and meet Bhagavan in actual flesh and blood. Apparently I was not destined to; maybe because I was not mature enough.

Next I remember hearing about his Mahasamadhi (leaving the body) in April 1950 when it was broadcast all over India. I felt very very sorry that I had missed having his darshan.

One day in 1961 I happened to visit a friend who had a very pious and devout lady staying with him. There was a small gathering there,of people who had come to hear her talk on the spiritual life. I also stayed to listen. The words that stuck in my mind were:

"Don't delay any longer. The time to begin your sadhana is here and now. It will be too late when you get old; either you will not have the energy or ill health will prevent it. Don't put it off on the excuse that you are still working professionally or in business or that you still have to arrange your daughters' marriages and get your sons fixed up in life before you can attend to anything else."

I returned home in a very thoughtful mood. Sadhana meant for me Bhagavan. Fortunately I had one or two books about him and his teaching written by some of his old and devoted followers. I read and reread them, and was completely overcome. The direct method of Selfenquiry as explained in them simply captivated me and would not leave me. I got all the books I could and went through them; and then the idea of visiting Sri Ramanasramam arose in me. An article that appeared in a weekly paper about the continued spiritual life there converted the idea into a firm decision. I arrived there for the first time at the end of 1961, just after Bhagavan's Jayanti (birth anniversary).

Although it is said that Bhagavan's teachings are crystal clear and do not require any explanations, I would nevertheless submit that for a new sadhaka (aspirant), especially a dunce like me, and one who has not sat at his lotus feet, books written by his old disciples are a great help in understanding his terse and incisive writings and sayings at least in the early stages.

Sri Ramanasramam today has a very calm and peaceful atmosphere and yet vibrant with power. I have found it more conducive to meditation than any other place I know. The presence of Bhagavan is felt everywhere and more strongly than I can say. In fact I can fully endorse the poem by S. P. Mukherjee in the first issue of The Mountain Path and should like to quote it here as saying what I want to say.

A BEACON STILL

We have not seen you, Bhagavan;We have not approached your lotusfeetYet do we findThe now and the then are the same for us,The body-presence, the presence in the heart,These are the same.One thing only do we know —Ramanashram is a beacon still.*_________________________________* This is the correct form. The 'That' which crept in at the beginning of the last line in our January issue was unauthorised. (Editor).

I was delighted to find that one is at perfect liberty to do what one likes there and not do what one does not like. No compulsory ritual or discipline. There are certain rituals and pujas, but you are at liberty to attend them or not, as you please. In fact you are left alone to follow your own path. That does not mean that no one is helpful. On the contrary, I found that the inmates and devotees are always willing to help when help is needed; only they do not interfere when interference is not needed.

There is a mysterious power that draws you to the Ashram again and again. It is like a magnet. Each year now I come back for as much time as my work will allow.