IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Marina Tsvetaeva - The gold that was my hair has turned

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A poem from Ivan to cheer up the Oldies.--- On Wed, 28/1/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Marina Tsvetaeva - The gold that was my hair has turnedalanadamsjacobsDate: Wednesday, 28 January, 2009, 5:23 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

The gold that was my hair has turned

By Marina Tsvetaeva(1892 - 1941)

English version by Paul Graves

The gold that was my hair has turnedsilently to gray. Don’t pity me!Everything’s been realized,in my breast all’s blended and attuned.-- Attuned, as all of distance blendsIn the smokestack moaning on the outskirts.And Lord! A soul’s been realized:The most deeply secret of your ends.

-- from Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women, Edited by Jane Hirshfield

Amazon.com / Photo by Petteri Sulonen /

============

Thought for the Day:

Faith isn't about knowing,it's about being-- then you know.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Noshir Mody

In This World With You

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Although Tsvetaeva's poetry often has the feeling of struggling against the weight of life, there is also a glimpse of something transcendent. In this poem, I love the line "in my breast all's blended and attuned." This is often how mystical union is experienced, as a stunning, all-inclusive wholeness that, though everywhere, is somehow centered in the heart.But in Tsvetaeva's troubled world, there is the odd juxtaposition of an inner wholeness that ironically emerges only in the soot of life: "--Attuned, as all of distance blends / In the smokestack moaning on the outskirts."Yet, Marina Tsvetaeva closes her poem with sacred recognition: "And Lord! A soul's been realized: / The most deeply secret of your ends."Perhaps Marina Tsvetaeva is consciously experiencing a state of union or, perhaps, as with many poets, the feeling is unconsciously noted.

This almost-awareness of union can sometimes have a suggestion of reality; it feels as if it should be there, as if it probably is there, even if it is not yet directly perceived. The experience of union is not truly an "experience" since it has no beginning or end point. It is going on always, eternally, within each of us -- we just have to become still enough to recognize it. When that union hasn't wrenched us fully into its heavenly realms, it is still with us, quietly whispering of its existence in the inner ear. Many individuals who haven't had a full-blown mystical opening may still instinctively describe aspects of these states. It can filter through to the normal awareness when, as with many artists, one steps out of common mental patterning... and begins to listen to that whisper. And once you hear that quiet breath, who knows where it will lead you if you decide to follow it...Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video & Music - Hendrix's Little Wing... on Ukulele - “Little Wing†was always my favorite Jimi Hendrix song. There’s something so dream-like to its words and soft groove... Well, this is not your typical version of Little Wing. Give it a listen. You’ll be surprised. More

Lover & Beloved - 2. The Song of Solomon - Comments (8) Virtually every Christian and Jewish love poem, sacred and secular, in some way hearkens back to the Song of Solomon... More

Two Book Recommendations: The Joyous Soul and Turkish Sufis - Comments (1) More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".