IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Rabindranath Tagore - (1) Thou hast made me endless (from Gitanjali)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A Week End Poem from the great Indian Poet, Tagore--- On Fri, 30/1/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Rabindranath Tagore - (1) Thou hast made me endless (from Gitanjali)alanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 30 January, 2009, 5:28 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

(1) Thou hast made me endless (from Gitanjali)

By Rabindranath Tagore(1861 - 1941)

English version by Rabindranath Tagore

Thou hast made me endless, such is thy pleasure. This frail vessel thou emptiest again and again, and fillest it ever with fresh life. This little flute of a reed thou hast carried over hills and dales, and hast breathed through it melodies eternally new. At the immortal touch of thy hands my little heart loses its limits in joy and gives birth to utterance ineffable. Thy infinite gifts come to me only on these very small hands of mine. Ages pass, and still thou pourest, and still there is room to fill.

-- from Gitanjali, by Rabindranath Tagore

Amazon.com / Photo by particlem /

============

Thought for the Day:

The ego is a personal myth,a story we tell ourselvesabout who we are.That story can change, expand,or grow silent.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Michael Mandrell and Benjy Wertheimer

Anjali

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I've jotted down a few comments about this opening verse from Tagore's Gitanjali, but you know what? Maybe you should just ignore what I have to say and reread the poem.This frail vessel thou emptiest again and again, and fillest it ever with fresh life...--The great Rabindranath Tagore evokes for us something of the mystic's experience.There is the awareness of being endless, without any boundaries. You recognize yourself as being truly vast, beyond all limits of skin and thought.You often feel yourself to be a "vessel," a cup or a bowl that has been repeatedly emptied of everything and scrubbed clean, only to be filled with an entirely new sense of life and identity.The metaphor of a reed or flute is a common one in sacred poetry. In Yogic terminology, he is speaking of the shushumna, the energetic channel associated with

the spine, and the energy centers called chakras are the "holes" of the flute that allow its music to be tuned and modified. It is God's warm breath that blows through us, animating us with the gift of consciousness. And something in us hums, producing an awareness of divine music.The heart, along with the general sense of self, "loses its limits" and spreads itself open in an indescribable joy and love.Ivan(Did it seem like a bumpy week to you too? I hope you survived without too many bruises... :)

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Video & Music - Hendrix's Little Wing... on Ukulele - Comments (1) “Little Wing†was always my favorite Jimi Hendrix song. There’s something so dream-like to its words and soft groove... Well, this is not your typical version of Little Wing. Give it a listen. You’ll be surprised. More

Lover & Beloved - 2. The Song of Solomon - Comments (8) Virtually every Christian and Jewish love poem, sacred and secular, in some way hearkens back to the Song of Solomon... More

Two Book Recommendations: The Joyous Soul and Turkish Sufis - Comments (1) More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a very sincere thank you to every single one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money in the past week:- Dave (MI), Marike (Netherlands), Letitia (IN), Sharon (NY)Thank you also to the new rs who are helping by donating a regular amount each month:-Mary, CynthiaEach and every contribution makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

A voluntary monthly subscription doesn't need to be forever. You can cancel the automatic donation at any time -- and still continue to receive the daily poem.

Save the sacred poets! Ivan spends a certain amount of time each month searching for translations of poets and saints throughout history. Your donation helps him to continue this work.

The Poetry Chaikhana brings a little beauty and inspiration to you each day.

The Poetry Chaikhana has visitors from more than 200 countries! Your support helps to quietly carry a message of unity, respect, and spiritual exploration to all parts of the world.

$10/month -- the cost of one movie ticket.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".