IndiaDivine.org

Kamalakanta - The black bee of my mind is drawn in sheer delight

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A week end poem from Ivan, with permission. His notes are always worth reading. AJ--- On Fri, 20/2/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Kamalakanta - The black bee of my mind is drawn in sheer delightalanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 20 February, 2009, 4:20 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

The black bee of my mind is drawn in sheer delight

By Kamalakanta(1769? - 1821?)

The black bee of my mind is drawn in sheer delightTo the blue lotus flower of Mother Shyama’s feet,The blue flower of the feet of Kali, Shiva’s Consort;Tasteless, to the bee, are the blossoms of desire.My Mother’s feet are black, and black, too, is the bee;Black is made one with black! This much of the mysteryMy mortal eyes behold, then hastily retreat.But Kamalakanta’s hopes are answered in the end;He swims in the Sea of Bliss, unmoved by joy or pain.

-- from Kali: The Black Goddess of Dakshineswar, by Elizabeth U. Harding

Amazon.com / Photo by Meanest Indian /

============

Thought for the Day:

Our awareness is too oftenseparated segmented, disunified.Return every part of yourself to a single wholeness.Re-member yourself.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Various Artists

I Am Somebody Vol. 1

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -In the imagery associated with the goddess Kali (Shyama), black is the divine color, for it is the color of mystery, of the night, that which is beyond knowing, the color that swallows all other colors.My Mother’s feet are black, and black, too, is the bee...With devotion, the busy bee of the mind becomes quiet and "black" like the vast, still mystery of God (or, rather, Goddess). Drawn to the center of awareness, it loses itself in the blissful nectar's sweetness, until...Black is made one with black!Beautiful!---(Kali isn't normally depicted as such an old woman, but the eyes of the woman in this photograph, so quiet and keen within that beautifully weathered face, just made me think, "Those are the eyes of the mother goddess peering into the heart...")---Kamalakanta Chakravarti, usually known simply

as Kamalakanta, is thought to have been born around the year 1773 in the Bengali district of Burdwan, in India. His father was a Brahmin priest who died when Kamalakanta was still a boy. His mother struggled financially to provide for the family with the meager income from the small amount of land left to them, but she managed to send Kamalakanta to higher education.Kamalakanta was a bright student, studying Sanskrit and showing an early talent for poetry and music.Kamalakanta's mother, however, was disturbed to see her teenaged son adopting the air of a renunciate, so she quickly arranged a marriage to a beautiful young woman. Soon after the marriage, however, the woman died. Kamalakanta's mother quickly found a second wife for her son, and Kamalakanta married again. Kamalakanta eventually took Tantric initiation, integrating his spiritual calling with his worldly life and responsibilities.In order to support his family,

Kamalakanta started a small school in addition to his inherited work as a Brahmin priest. But Kamalakanta struggled to make ends meet.After some time the reputation of the ecstatic Kali-devoted poet came to the attention of the local prince. The Maharaja asked Kamalakanta to become his guru and appointed him as a court advisor.With his family's basic needs now taken care of, he turned more and more deeply to spiritual practice and worship of Kali.It is said that when Kamalakanta was near death, he asked to be taken to the banks of the Ganges River. Just as he was brought there, an unexpected flood rose up and carried his body away. The Ganges, an expression of the Divine Mother whom he had worshipped all his life, had claimed him as Her own.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Lover & Beloved - 3. A Taste of Bhakti - Comments (5) This isn’t a vague, bland, intellectual, or prim sort of love. The Bhakti’s love is passionate, powerful, all-consuming... More

Video & Poetry - Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche, Come and Dance - Comments (1) The Buddhas say, “Come and dance!†A beautiful video of Tibetan Buddhist culture and dance, set to a gentle trance groove, and the modern Buddhist teacher Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche reading one of his poems. I think you’ll like this one. More

Video - Inspiration - A fascinating, experimental animated short about the struggles and breakthroughs of the creative process. More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a sincere thank you to each one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money in the past couple of weeks:- Patricia (IL), Nancy (IN)And thank you to the new rs who signed up to contribute a regular amount each month.-MargueriteEach and every contribution makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Donating is easy: Just drop a check in the mail, or take a minute online with PayPal.

Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library.

A voluntary monthly subscription doesn't need to be forever. You can cancel the automatic donation at any time -- and still continue to receive the daily poem.

Save the sacred poets! Ivan spends a certain amount of time each month searching for translations of poets and saints throughout history. Your donation helps him to continue this work.

The Poetry Chaikhana brings a little beauty and inspiration to you each day.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".