IndiaDivine.org

Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love You

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Rhade,

It is a joy to share with everybody in this lively satsangh. Thanks for all your valued contributions.

Warmest regards,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan --- On Thu, 19/3/09, Radhe <shaantih wrote:

Radhe <shaantihRe: Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love You Date: Thursday, 19 March, 2009, 1:52 AM

Dear Alan:Pranams for all of the effort you put into the sangha as an instrument of His guidance for all of us!The poem below is a beautiful expression of what we have been exploring together in the thread started by Palanji. The Divine paradox as only a mystic can express it :-)------------ --------- --------- -----How is it I can love You?By Symeon the New Theologian(949 - 1032)English version by Ivan M. GrangerHow is it I can love Youwithin me,yet see You from afar?How is it I embrace Youwithin myself,yet see you spread across the heavens?You know. You alone.You, who made this mystery,You who shinelike the sun in my breast,You who shinein my material heart,immaterially.To add a few of Shri Ramana Maharshi's quotes from the link I had posted in my short note to Palanji, the one below contains one of my

favorites, his famous..."Bhakti is jnana mata.""You say you offer your body, soul and all possessions to God. Were they yours that you could offer them? At best, you can only say, 'I falsely imagined till now that all these which are yours were mine. Now I realize they are yours. I shall no more act as if they are mine.' This knowledge that there is nothing but God or Self, that I or mine don't exist and that only the Self exists, is jnana. Thus there is no difference between bhakti and jnana. Bhakti is jnana mata or the mother of jnani)."And this, to highlight the poem's expression of the mysterious Divine paradox...Question: The bhakta requires a God to whom he can do bhakti. Is he to be taught that there is only the Self, not a worshipper and the worshipped?Sri Ramana Maharshi: Of course, God is required for sadhana. But the end of the sadhana, even in bhakti marga [the path

of devotion], is attained only after complete surrender. What does it mean, except that effacement of the ego results in Self remainingas it always has been? Whatever path one may choose, the 'I' is inescapable, the 'I' that does the nishkama karma [motiveless acts], the 'I' that pines for joining the Lord from whom it feels it has been separated, the 'I' that feels it has slipped from its real nature, and so on. The source of this 'I' must be found out. Then all questions will be solved.Question: If 'I' also is an illusion, who then casts off the illusion?Sri Ramana Maharshi: The 'I' casts off the illusion of 'I' and yet remains as 'I'. Such is the paradox of Self-realization. The realized do not see any contradiction in it. Take the case of bhakti. I approach Iswara and pray to be absorbed in Him. I then surrender myself with faith and concentrate on Him. What remains afterwards? In

place of the original 'I', perfect self-surrender leaves a residuum of God in which the 'I' is lost. This is the highest form of devotion [parabhakti] and surrender and the height of vairagya [non-attachment] .You give up this and that of 'my' possessions. If you give up 'I' and 'mine' instead, all are given up at a stroke. The very seed of possession is lost. Thus the evil is nipped in the bud or crushed in the germ itself. Dispassion [vairagya] must be very strong to do this. Eagerness to do it must be equal to that of a man kept under water trying to rise up to the surface for his life.http://bhagavan- ramana.org/ bhakti.htmlBowing my head with the prayer thatI may cast off all illusions impeding my visionsuch that there is nothing left to

see,Radhe

Guest guest

Dear Alan ,

Wonderful poem ..

Please read the one below .. I call it Vacating the Mind

Vacant Mind , Vibrant Body ,

The supreme state of Being !

Observe the mental chatter-

As we observe , the chattering stops.

Travel light...

No burden of the past ,

No thought of the unknown future ,

At this very moment - float effortlessly !

Grosser the state , more the misery.

Subtler the state , Greater the Joy.

It sounds parodixal -

The powerful Mind is grosser

Than the slave Body.

The goal is not far away in a distant land ,

All that is needed is a vertical jump.

With a free fall of the Mind,

Revel in the true state of Being !!

Love

Ramesh

--- On Wed, 3/18/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love You Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 9:52 PM

Another interesting poem sent by kind permission of Ivan Granger.

--- On Wed, 18/3/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com> wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com>[Poetry Chaikhana] Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love Youalanadamsjacobs@ .co. ukWednesday, 18 March, 2009, 4:17 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

How is it I can love You

By Symeon the New Theologian(949 - 1032)

English version by Ivan M. Granger

How is it I can love You within me, yet see You from afar?How is it I embrace You within myself, yet see you spread across the heavens?You know. You alone. You, who made this mystery, You who shinelike the sun in my breast, You who shine in my material heart, immaterially.

/ Photo by notsogoodphotograph y /

============

Thought for the Day:

The path of forgivenessis the path of freedom.Forgiveness is a rebellionagainst the ego's self-importance.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Taffetas

Cameleon

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -A riddle for us today. How can God dwell in such a small house as the human body and awareness, yet permeate the vastness of creation?Symeon is not asking these questions as an intellectual game, however. This is not a dry theological exercise. His questions arise from the genuine surprise at this paradox as it reveals itself through direct perception: The Divine is both intimate and all-encompassing, within yet everywhere. The intellect can't comprehend how this can be, yet the mystic is confronted with it undeniably. With total disregard for the mind's inability to grasp this truth, a giddy radiance pours out from your breast while, at the same time, it fills the universe.Have a beautiful day!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

- More

- More

- More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,

Thank you. I enjoy your Poerty. It is good that we have a number of competent Poets in the Satsangh.

All best wishes and love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan --- On Thu, 19/3/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chivRe: Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love You Date: Thursday, 19 March, 2009, 4:13 AM

Dear Alan , Wonderful poem ..

Please read the one below .. I call it Vacating the Mind

Vacant Mind , Vibrant Body , The supreme state of Being ! Observe the mental chatter- As we observe , the chattering stops. Travel light... No burden of the past , No thought of the unknown future , At this very moment - float effortlessly ! Grosser the state , more the misery. Subtler the state , Greater the Joy. It sounds parodixal - The powerful Mind is grosser Than the slave Body.

The goal is not far away in a distant land , All that is needed is a vertical jump. With a free fall of the Mind, Revel in the true state of Being !! Love

Ramesh

--- On Wed, 3/18/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love YouWednesday, March 18, 2009, 9:52 PM

Another interesting poem sent by kind permission of Ivan Granger.

--- On Wed, 18/3/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com> wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan@poetry- chaikhana. com>[Poetry Chaikhana] Symeon the New Theologian - How is it I can love Youalanadamsjacobs@ .co. ukWednesday, 18 March, 2009, 4:17 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

How is it I can love You

By Symeon the New Theologian(949 - 1032)

English version by Ivan M. Granger

How is it I can love You within me, yet see You from afar?How is it I embrace You within myself, yet see you spread across the heavens?You know. You alone. You, who made this mystery, You who shinelike the sun in my breast, You who shine in my material heart, immaterially.

/ Photo by notsogoodphotograph y /

============

Thought for the Day:

The path of forgivenessis the path of freedom.Forgiveness is a rebellionagainst the ego's self-importance.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Taffetas

Cameleon

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -A riddle for us today. How can God dwell in such a small house as the human body and awareness, yet permeate the vastness of creation?Symeon is not asking these questions as an intellectual game, however. This is not a dry theological exercise. His questions arise from the genuine surprise at this paradox as it reveals itself through direct perception: The Divine is both intimate and all-encompassing, within yet everywhere. The intellect can't comprehend how this can be, yet the mystic is confronted with it undeniably. With total disregard for the mind's inability to grasp this truth, a giddy radiance pours out from your breast while, at the same time, it fills the universe.Have a beautiful day!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

- More

- More

- More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".