IndiaDivine.org

From Gems from Bhagavan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Peter,

Thanks, as ever, for your thoughtful posting. I agree with your warning about Neo Advaita which gives the destination without the journey. It seems on the journey, the effort must be intense, not casual as the posting tells us, and we must not make surrender, as you say, an excuse for making no effort, and then relying on Grace, expecting the Lottery Prrize without buying the ticket.

Love,

In Him,

Alan --- On Sat, 21/3/09, Peter <not_2 wrote:

Peter <not_2RE: From Gems from Bhagavan Date: Saturday, 21 March, 2009, 7:21 AM

Dear Alan,It's good to see these words below from Bhagavan (see quote from 'Gems').Sometimes I wonder if 'our' repetitions of "Leave it all to God's grace!"are genuine attempts at surrender or just an abnegation of responsibilityfor the effort needed towards our own sadhana (spiritual practice). Sometimes, (again that word) I wonder what is the difference between thatapproach and the recent Neo-Advaita movement with it's laid back attitude ofnowhere to go, no one to go there, and no sadhana (effort) necessary. I amthinking here of the quote from your good critique of Neo Advaita:"What Neo-Advaita gives in fact boils down to the seductive formula that'there is nothing you can do or need to do, all you have to know is thatthere is no one there.'"http://luthar. com/advaita-

and-western- neo-advaita- a-study-by- alan-adam- jacobsI think what I'm saying is that perhaps we need to be careful not to makesurrender into a "seductive formula" of..."there is nothing you can do or need to do, all you have to know is thateverything happens according to His Grace."Of course, only each of us can answer these questions for ourselves. With best wishes,Peter From Gems from BhagavanVIII SELF REALISATIONP.38Ishta Devata (Deity of one's choice) and Guru are aids,Very powerful aids on this path.But an aid to be effectiverequires your effort also.Your effort is a sine qua non (without which nothing).It is you who should see the Sun,Can spectacles and the Sun see the for you?You yourself have to see your True Nature.Not much aid is required for doing it.------------ --------- ---------

--------- --Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi------------ --------- --------- ------

Guest guest

Very true .. if we are not serious enough we will get stuck where were are.

But Grace is ever present .. It is the same always.. How much we are able to

draw from it depends on us !! This is something I keep telling myself over and

over again ! I never tire telling myself thus...

Pranams

ramesh

--- On Sat, 3/21/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs From Gems from Bhagavan Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 12:58 PM

Dear Peter,

Thanks, as ever, for your thoughtful posting. I agree with your warning about Neo Advaita which gives the destination without the journey. It seems on the journey, the effort must be intense, not casual as the posting tells us, and we must not make surrender, as you say, an excuse for making no effort, and then relying on Grace, expecting the Lottery Prrize without buying the ticket.

Love,

In Him,

Alan --- On Sat, 21/3/09, Peter <not_2 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter <not_2 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>RE: From Gems from BhagavanSaturday, 21 March, 2009, 7:21 AM

Dear Alan,It's good to see these words below from Bhagavan (see quote from 'Gems').Sometimes I wonder if 'our' repetitions of "Leave it all to God's grace!"are genuine attempts at surrender or just an abnegation of responsibilityfor the effort needed towards our own sadhana (spiritual practice). Sometimes, (again that word) I wonder what is the difference between thatapproach and the recent Neo-Advaita movement with it's laid back attitude ofnowhere to go, no one to go there, and no sadhana (effort) necessary. I amthinking here of the quote from your good critique of Neo Advaita:"What Neo-Advaita gives in fact boils down to the seductive formula that'there is nothing you can do or need to do, all you have to know is thatthere is no one there.'"http://luthar. com/advaita-

and-western- neo-advaita- a-study-by- alan-adam- jacobsI think what I'm saying is that perhaps we need to be careful not to makesurrender into a "seductive formula" of..."there is nothing you can do or need to do, all you have to know is thateverything happens according to His Grace."Of course, only each of us can answer these questions for ourselves. With best wishes,Peter From Gems from BhagavanVIII SELF REALISATIONP.38Ishta Devata (Deity of one's choice) and Guru are aids,Very powerful aids on this path.But an aid to be effectiverequires your effort also.Your effort is a sine qua non (without which nothing).It is you who should see the Sun,Can spectacles and the Sun see the for you?You yourself have to see your True Nature.Not much aid is required for doing it.------------ --------- ---------

--------- --Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi------------ --------- --------- ------

Guest guest

Dear Alan

your wordpower - oh gosh

adimireable....

.......not make surrender, as you say, an excuse for making no effort, and then relying on Grace, expecting the Lottery Prrize without buying the ticket.

this neoadvaitin stuff reminds me on a discussion my wife and i just had in the car about

HDTV highdefinition televions contra the old tube TV

we saw both in practice and the "modern one" besides causing immeadetely headache to my highly sensitive wife cannot be compared at all with the "good old tubesystem"......

our impression was proved by an highly technical artice where this statement was included!!!!

and

viewing our own experience shooting pictures the old fashioned way with old type of cameras (my first was "primitive" agfa-box in the early 50s

and leica M3 and black and white and colour and selfdeveloping black white and digital cameras) sylvie "of course" is highly gifted in this craft too

and we both admitted no comparison between the easy modern systems and the oldfashioned ones.....

the same like the real way back home .....ADVAITA and neo-advaita

thank you for being gifted enough to formulate the TRUTH in such easy understandable words

in ITS Grace

your friend

michael