IndiaDivine.org

Can we keep it simple ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All ,

This is from my own practical experience..

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Dal and Chawal ( Lentils and Rice ) ;

Seems quite heavenly .

Many times some simple truths stun us into silence and wisdom .. We may read pages

and pages of commentaries on very sacred scriptures .. but we may miss the point

entirely .. We may get lost in words and not get the true meaning . Sometimes just

a simple prank of a child may awaken us ! Shakespeare even found sermons in stones !

I do not mean to belittle the exhaustive philosophical treatises compiled over the various

yugas - but what i want emphasise here is not one does not require to be a scholar ,

nor have mastery over shastras .. but one does need a strong foundation of FAITH in

the ONE and the ONLY ONE.. That alone can helps us cross oceans of misery !

This is just my persoanl feeling and I do not expect everyone to agree with me.

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,

There is a great deal of wisdom in what you say. However, certain people with a stong intellectual disposition feel a pressing need to settle all metaphysical questions philosophicly before they can move ahead.. Then strong Faith, based on the power of Reason and discrimination is obtained, and the real sadhana of devotion and enquiry will commence. It takes all types to make up this world of samsara. We need the approach of Shankara who was a great Philosopher, sifting the non-dual truths from all he found in the scriptures, and then at the same time writing simple devotional poetry. Some birds need two wings to fly home on, I doubt if you get very far on one. Most of Bhagavan's close Devoteess, Self Realised in his life time had both of them.

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

--- On Mon, 23/3/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, 23 March, 2009, 7:56 AM

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Many times some simple truths stun us into silence and wisdom .. We may read pages

and pages of commentaries on very sacred scriptures .. but we may miss the point

entirely .. We may get lost in words and not get the true meaning . Sometimes just

a simple prank of a child may awaken us ! Shakespeare even found sermons in stones !

I do not mean to belittle the exhaustive philosophical treatises compiled over the various

yugas - but what i want emphasise here is not one does not require to be a scholar ,

nor have mastery over shastras .. but one does need a strong foundation of FAITH in

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Alan ,

I agree with what you say and to that extent my message was quite incomplete .

Of course GOD has created some with higher I.Q and some with higher E.Q..

Based on our past karma we have some leanings ..It is not for me to say which

path is better ( though Lord Krishna had said that the path of surrender is the best ).

Self Enquiry also ultimately is said to lead to surrender and cosmic union ..

I only felt like sharing that those who are not very intellectually oriented .. who find it

some what dry and perhaps even superficial ..can be rest assured that all of us

are being led towards to same destination by HIS DIVINE WILL...

Do hope it is not too confusing !

Love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobsRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 1:40 PM

Dear Ramesh,

There is a great deal of wisdom in what you say. However, certain people with a stong intellectual disposition feel a pressing need to settle all metaphysical questions philosophicly before they can move ahead.. Then strong Faith, based on the power of Reason and discrimination is obtained, and the real sadhana of devotion and enquiry will commence. It takes all types to make up this world of samsara. We need the approach of Shankara who was a great Philosopher, sifting the non-dual truths from all he found in the scriptures, and then at the same time writing simple devotional poetry. Some birds need two wings to fly home on, I doubt if you get very far on one. Most of Bhagavan's close Devoteess, Self Realised in his life time had both of them.

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

--- On Mon, 23/3/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > Can we keep it simple ?Monday, 23 March, 2009, 7:56 AM

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,

Thank you. I am sure we are in broad agreement.

Love,

In His Grace,

Alan --- On Mon, 23/3/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chivRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, 23 March, 2009, 8:51 AM

Dear Alan ,

I agree with what you say and to that extent my message was quite incomplete .

Of course GOD has created some with higher I.Q and some with higher E.Q..

Based on our past karma we have some leanings ..It is not for me to say which

path is better ( though Lord Krishna had said that the path of surrender is the best ).

Self Enquiry also ultimately is said to lead to surrender and cosmic union ..

I only felt like sharing that those who are not very intellectually oriented .. who find it

some what dry and perhaps even superficial ..can be rest assured that all of us

are being led towards to same destination by HIS DIVINE WILL...

Do hope it is not too confusing !

Love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk>Re: Can we keep it simple ?Monday, March 23, 2009, 1:40 PM

Dear Ramesh,

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > Can we keep it simple ?Monday, 23 March, 2009, 7:56 AM

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Ones

yes - we can and must keep it SIMPLE

b u t before we all have to use our intelligence to its outmost - till we reach the limit of this intelligence.

When having reached this limits - and we alone are to judge this, not "others" - than comes the crucial point.

We have to SURRENDER to the UNKNOWN.

Surrender completely - without limits.

For this again we need "intelligence".

Surrendering in this way leads to realizing that their is another "instance", where normal intelligence and INTUITION go together - intuition leading the way, with this "higher intelligence" we have again to check what we discover.

The limit of discovering something "new" is set by the tools we have. Intelligence, intuition a n d the readiness to SURRENDER.

Which includes the condition that we accept that we have not to KNOW everything beforehand, the condition that we are ready to be GUIDED by an instance we do not know neither intellectully nor emotionally. But in the case of Grace we have the INNER UNDESTRUCTABLE "knowledge" of IT.

To get in touch with this IT we have to let go all fear and out of it the socalled necessity of "proving" IT.

Doing all this what is written above you are lead by Grace and you see day by day moment by moment this IT.

Surrendering completely without having "checked" out the "why" seems a trap.....

And remind us all - "the proof is in the pudding" - so after we discovered TRUTH this has to be proven moment to moment.

Be Grace with you on all your ways

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

Dear Michael,

You are not such a fool as you like to make out.

Love,

Alan --- On Mon, 23/3/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, 23 March, 2009, 10:27 AM

Dear Ones

b u t before we all have to use our intelligence to its outmost - till we reach the limit of this intelligence.

When having reached this limits - and we alone are to judge this, not "others" - than comes the crucial point.

For this again we need "intelligence" .

Surrendering in this way leads to realizing that their is another "instance", where normal intelligence and INTUITION go together - intuition leading the way, with this "higher intelligence" we have again to check what we discover.

The limit of discovering something "new" is set by the tools we have. Intelligence, intuition a n d the readiness to SURRENDER.

Which includes the condition that we accept that we have not to KNOW everything beforehand, the condition that we are ready to be GUIDED by an instance we do not know neither intellectully nor emotionally. But in the case of Grace we have the INNER UNDESTRUCTABLE "knowledge" of IT.

To get in touch with this IT we have to let go all fear and out of it the socalled necessity of "proving" IT.

Doing all this what is written above you are lead by Grace and you see day by day moment by moment this IT.

Surrendering completely without having "checked" out the "why" seems a trap.....

And remind us all - "the proof is in the pudding" - so after we discovered TRUTH this has to be proven moment to moment.

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

Dear Alan and Ramesh,

I enjoy what you both share. May I offer some additional thoughts?

I wonder if we might be polarising psychological types when we describe people in terms of 'intellectual disposition' or 'devotional disposition'? Those with strong intellectual disposition may also have a great sense of devotion - devotion to truth - which manifests through their own particular temperament.

Reading scripture, listening to talks and lectures doesn't necessarily mean one is intellectual. Unless there is some effort to understand what is written or spoken, unless there is some effort to reflect on the truth of it's meaning and find that truth in one's own day to day experience... then such activity is simply a very passive affair. Perhaps it's a hope that sooner or later the teachers' words will enlighten us without any real effort on our part?

Likewise, praying to the guru or a divine form of one kind or another for grace or to manage the events of our lives, offering up the responsibility for our own decisions and actions to a higher power does not necessarily mean one is following the path of devotion unless there is some real effort on our part to live the life as required by the 'guru'. The underlying characteristics may be no different to the person mentioned in the above paragraph - hoping that sooner or later (sooner would be better) enlightenment will come to us without any real effort on our part.

Sri Ramana writes:

"He that has earned the Grace of the Guru shall undoubtedly be saved and never forsaken, just as the prey that has fallen into the tiger's jaws will never be allowed to escape. But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the path shown by the Master."

(From "Who am I" in 'Words of Grace', p8)

This last sentence of Bhagavan's may well be the simple truth, if we are to 'keep it simple'.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Behalf Of Alan Jacobs23 March 2009 08:11 Subject: Re: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear Ramesh,

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

--- On Mon, 23/3/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, 23 March, 2009, 7:56 AM

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear All ,

We have all entered the path of NO RETURN .. The very fact that we are spending

so much time and energy in discussing these matters proves that we are all

deeply devoted to the SEARCH..Add to this we have assurance from none other

than Bhagwan that we shall never be forsaken .. We need to follow the path

unwaveringly , come what may .. even though there may be temporary ups and

downs !

Pranams

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Peter <not_2 wrote:

Peter <not_2RE: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 4:12 PM

Dear Alan and Ramesh,

I wonder if we might be polarising psychological types when we describe people in terms of 'intellectual disposition' or 'devotional disposition' ? Those with strong intellectual disposition may also have a great sense of devotion - devotion to truth - which manifests through their own particular temperament.

Reading scripture, listening to talks and lectures doesn't necessarily mean one is intellectual. Unless there is some effort to understand what is written or spoken, unless there is some effort to reflect on the truth of it's meaning and find that truth in one's own day to day experience.. . then such activity is simply a very passive affair. Perhaps it's a hope that sooner or later the teachers' words will enlighten us without any real effort on our part?

Likewise, praying to the guru or a divine form of one kind or another for grace or to manage the events of our lives, offering up the responsibility for our own decisions and actions to a higher power does not necessarily mean one is following the path of devotion unless there is some real effort on our part to live the life as required by the 'guru'. The underlying characteristics may be no different to the person mentioned in the above paragraph - hoping that sooner or later (sooner would be better) enlightenment will come to us without any real effort on our part.

Sri Ramana writes:

"He that has earned the Grace of the Guru shall undoubtedly be saved and never forsaken, just as the prey that has fallen into the tiger's jaws will never be allowed to escape. But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the path shown by the Master."

This last sentence of Bhagavan's may well be the simple truth, if we are to 'keep it simple'.

Best wishes,

Peter

[HarshaSatsa ngh ] On Behalf Of Alan Jacobs23 March 2009 08:11Re: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear Ramesh,

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Peter,

Thanks for this helpful elucidation which helps to clarify thesubtle distinction between the intellectual urge to understand the metaphysical truth of the Teaching and assure the certainty of faith, and the necessary heartfelt devotion which is mainly of an emotional nature. I also don't feel we can polarise this into different types. As you imply, both qualities are inherent in most seekers after truth.

Love,

In His Grace,

Alan --- On Mon, 23/3/09, Peter <not_2 wrote:

Peter <not_2RE: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, 23 March, 2009, 10:42 AM

Dear Alan and Ramesh,

I wonder if we might be polarising psychological types when we describe people in terms of 'intellectual disposition' or 'devotional disposition' ? Those with strong intellectual disposition may also have a great sense of devotion - devotion to truth - which manifests through their own particular temperament.

Reading scripture, listening to talks and lectures doesn't necessarily mean one is intellectual. Unless there is some effort to understand what is written or spoken, unless there is some effort to reflect on the truth of it's meaning and find that truth in one's own day to day experience.. . then such activity is simply a very passive affair. Perhaps it's a hope that sooner or later the teachers' words will enlighten us without any real effort on our part?

Sri Ramana writes:

Best wishes,

Peter

[HarshaSatsa ngh ] On Behalf Of Alan Jacobs23 March 2009 08:11Re: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear Ramesh,

With love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan .

Dear All ,

When ravenously hungry ,

A simple meal of

Seems quite heavenly .

Love to one and all

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Michael ,

This short one is dedicated to you :

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,

Spending time and energy in these discussions in itself doesn't prove we are

all deeply devoted. There could be many reasons why people take part in

such discussions.

Yes, Bhagavan does indeed assure those who have *earned* the grace of the

Guru that they won't be forsaken. I can't helping feeling that the bit we

then need to pay attention to is in His own qualificatory statement which

follows the word *BUT*.

" ....But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the path

shown by the Master. "

It's the word " unswervingly " that stands out for me.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Behalf Of ramesh chivukula

23 March 2009 10:59

RE: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear All ,

We have all entered the path of NO RETURN .. The very fact that we are

spending

so much time and energy in discussing these matters proves that we are all

deeply devoted to the SEARCH..Add to this we have assurance from none other

than Bhagwan that we shall never be forsaken .. We need to follow the path

unwaveringly , come what may .. even though there may be temporary ups and

downs !

Pranams

ramesh

Guest guest

Dear Peter ,

Once we are in , we are in .. That is my firm faith ..Once one has fallen in

Love with God , what can make one turn away ? Has HE not said : " If you

take one step towards ME , I shall take three steps towards you " ..

Then it is a matter of time.. the more intense one's devotion , the faster the

results ..True there are distractions aplenty ; but as you said " unswervingly "

following the master's path , we shall truly attain Bliss !

Let us all together reinforce the FAITH !

In Joy

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Peter <not_2 wrote:

Peter <not_2RE: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 5:08 PM

Dear Ramesh,Spending time and energy in these discussions in itself doesn't prove we areall deeply devoted. There could be many reasons why people take part insuch discussions.Yes, Bhagavan does indeed assure those who have *earned* the grace of theGuru that they won't be forsaken. I can't helping feeling that the bit wethen need to pay attention to is in His own qualificatory statement whichfollows the word *BUT*."....But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the pathshown by the Master." It's the word "unswervingly" that stands out for me.Best wishes,Peter____________ _________ _________ __ []On Behalf Of ramesh chivukula23 March 2009 10:59RE: Can we keep it simple ?Dear All ,We have all entered the path of NO RETURN .. The very fact that we arespending so much time and energy in discussing these matters proves that we are all deeply devoted to the SEARCH..Add to this we have assurance from none other than Bhagwan that we shall never be forsaken .. We need to follow the pathunwaveringly , come what may .. even though there may be temporary ups and

downs !Pranamsramesh____________ _________ _________ __

Guest guest

Dear Peter

this BUT is the crucial point.....

and

taking part in discussions is as you said in itself not a proof for anything....

thank you for your contributions

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Peter

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:38 PM

RE: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear Ramesh,Spending time and energy in these discussions in itself doesn't prove we areall deeply devoted. There could be many reasons why people take part insuch discussions.Yes, Bhagavan does indeed assure those who have *earned* the grace of theGuru that they won't be forsaken. I can't helping feeling that the bit wethen need to pay attention to is in His own qualificatory statement whichfollows the word *BUT*."....But the disciple, for his part, should unswervingly follow the pathshown by the Master." It's the word "unswervingly" that stands out for me.Best wishes,Peter________________________________ On Behalf Of ramesh chivukula23 March 2009 10:59 Subject: RE: Can we keep it simple ?Dear All ,We have all entered the path of NO RETURN .. The very fact that we arespending so much time and energy in discussing these matters proves that we are all deeply devoted to the SEARCH..Add to this we have assurance from none other than Bhagwan that we shall never be forsaken .. We need to follow the pathunwaveringly , come what may .. even though there may be temporary ups and downs !Pranamsramesh________________________________

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.24/2018 - Release 03/23/09 06:52:00

Guest guest

WONDERFUL

may i use this creation - yours -?

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Monday, March 23, 2009 12:22 PM

Re: Can we keep it simple ?

Dear Michael ,

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu>Re: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.24/2018 - Release 03/23/09 06:52:00

Guest guest

Hi

you know

"you got it"

this "motto" of yours touched me immedeately

and will be used for taming the thinking process in the cases it need to be used

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Dear Michael ,

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu>Re: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

Ofcourse you can except for a spelling mistake it is State not sate ...

It is all yours ...

In madness

ramesh

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 6:37 PM

WONDERFUL

may i use this creation - yours -?

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Dear Michael ,

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu>Re: Can we keep it simple ?Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

Dear Michael ,

Try this one...

In Life we are one among "many"

In sleep we are just floaters

In Death we become one with the only ONE.

ramesh

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Monday, March 23, 2009, 7:13 PM

Hi

you know

"you got it"

this "motto" of yours touched me immedeately

and will be used for taming the thinking process in the cases it need to be used

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Dear Michael ,

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

--- On Mon, 3/23/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu>Re: Can we keep it simple ?Monday, March 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool

Guest guest

ramesh chivukula wrote:

Dear Michael ,

Try this one...

ramesh

:)

The

blue hole dive 1972

death

beckoned

me softly

and

i followed.

but

then

it

smiled, saying:

do

not rush, my dear.

anyway,

your corpse is mine

and

keeps on dying

all

the time!

but

you are not.

unborn,

boundless,

how

can you die?

wake

up, my friend

and

return to the surface.

there

is no "i"!

BOOM!

yosy

Guest guest

Dear Yosy ,

Simply wonderful !

ramesh

--- On Tue, 3/24/09, Yosy Flug <yosyflug wrote:

Yosy Flug <yosyflugRe: Can we keep it simple ? Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 4:23 AM

ramesh chivukula wrote:

Dear Michael ,

Try this one...

ramesh

:) The blue hole di v e 1972

death

beckoned me softly and i followed. but then it smiled, saying: do not rush, my dear.

anyway, your corpse is mine and keeps on dying all the time! but you are not.

unborn, boundless, how can you die? wake up, my friend and return to the surface.

there is no "i"!

BOOM!yosy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Dear friend

again reading your mail

be embraced in STILLNESS

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Monday, March 23, 2009 1:22 PM

Dear Michael ,

Much thinking

To reach

The Sate of No-Thinking

Then

Only Experiencing !!

Your Companion Fool

ramesh

Dear Ones

in IT

michael

the fool