IndiaDivine.org

Abu-Said Abil-Kheir - [210] When the desire for the Friend became real,

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A Sufi Poem sent by Ivan Granger and posted with his permission.--- On Fri, 27/3/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Abu-Said Abil-Kheir - [210] When the desire for the Friend became real,alanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 27 March, 2009, 4:50 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

[210] When the desire for the Friend became real,

By Abu-Said Abil-Kheir(967 - 1049)

English version by Vraje Abramian

When the desire for the Friend became real,all existence fell behind.The Beloved wasn't interested in my reasoning,I threw it away and became silent.The sanity I had been taught became a bore,it had to be ushered off.Insane, silent and in bliss,I spend my days with my headat the feet of My Beloved.

-- from Nobody, Son of Nobody: Poems of Shaikh Abu-Saeed Abil-Kheir, Translated by Vraje Abramian

Amazon.com / Photo by Hamed Saber /

============

Thought for the Day:

Be greedy for God!Demand all of the Divine One, whole and undivided.Do not be content with the common satisfactions;they are mere slivers of the Eternal Bliss.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Sarah Swersey

Nightingale

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -We had blizzard yesterday, here in Colorado. Gusts of wind filled the world with white. Today the sun is out again, and the white world glistens.What does that have to do with today's poem? Nothing, I suppose.When the desire for the Friend became real,all existence fell behind.I keep returning to the poetry of Abu-Said Abil-Kheir, and each time I do I find myself muttering some variation of, "Mm. Wow."But what do I have to say about this poem?The Beloved wasn't interested in my reasoning,I threw it away and became silent.Nothing, I suppose. :-)But each line insists on repeating itself in my mind.The sanity I had been taught became a bore,it had to be ushered off.The sun is out, a day to yield and melt...Insane, silent and in bliss,I spend my days with my

headat the feet of My Beloved.Have a beautiful weekend!IvanPS - Another story on the blog, this one by Ramana Maharshi. I hope you enjoy it.

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Story: The Lost Tenth Man, told by Ramana Maharshi - Ramana Maharshi gives us a very funny story about ten men who cross a river, who then become convinced that they've lost one of their party... More

- More

- More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a sincere thank you to each one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money in the last week:- Andy (UK)And thank you to the many voluntary rs. Your contribution of a regular amount each month provides stable, dependable finances for the Poetry Chaikhana. New rs this week:- Helen (CA)I am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

The Poetry Chaikhana encourages respect for the rich diversity of religion and cultures -- so needed in the world today.

Ivan maintains the Poetry Chaikhana in his free time, usually in the mornings before work. Your donation allows him to trim back his work hours and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana and your emails.

I know economic times are tight for many people. A small amount contributed each month is as helpful as a larger one-time donation.

The daily poem sets a nice tone for the day.

More than 300 sacred poets. Timelines, traditions, poetic themes. Ivan's musings and comments. 'Nuff said.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".