IndiaDivine.org

Thomas Merton - O Sweet Irrational Worship

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

An interesting poem sent by friend Ivan, his notes are worth reading at the end.--- On Fri, 10/4/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Thomas Merton - O Sweet Irrational WorshipalanadamsjacobsDate: Friday, 10 April, 2009, 5:00 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

O Sweet Irrational Worship

By Thomas Merton(1915 - 1968)

Wind and a bobwhiteAnd the afternoon sun.By ceasing to question the sunI have become light,Bird and wind.My leaves sing.I am earth, earthAll these lighted thingsGrow from my heart.A tall, spare pineStands like the initial of my firstName when I had one.When I had a spirit,When I was on fireWhen this valley wasMade out of fresh airYou spoke my nameIn naming Your silence:O sweet, irrational worship!I am earth, earthMy heart's loveBursts with hay and flowers.I am a lake of blue airIn which my own appointed placeField and valleyStand reflected.I am earth, earthOut of my grass heartRises the bobwhite.Out of my nameless weedsHis foolish worship.

-- from Selected Poems of Thomas Merton, by Thomas Merton

Amazon.com / Photo by Begbie Images /

============

Thought for the Day:

Doing good for othersis your second duty.Your firstis to be fully yourself.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

David Swan Montgomery

Finn

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -It is Passover in the Jewish tradition. In the Western Christian tradition, today is Good Friday leading into Easter Sunday. It's springtime. And it's a full moon. Whatever you celebrate this weekend, remember to celebrate the life springing up all around you and in you!All these lighted thingsGrow from my heart.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Story: Thought, by Anthony de Mello - Comments (1) "Why are you so wary of thought?" said the philosopher... More

Video - An Invitation from a Quichua Elder - Comments (6) I found Don Taxo's gentle energies and quiet wisdom to be deeply moving. I hope you do too. More

Story: The King's Fortress, by the Baal Shem Tov - Comments (3) Much of the spiritual genius of Hassidic Jewish mysticism is passed to us through stories, usually tales from the lives of revered Rabbis. Sometimes though we get an allegorical story, like this one told by the Baal Shem Tov himself More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a sincere thank you to each one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money in the last week:- Valerie (CA), Constance (CO) - No new rs this weekI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

The Poetry Chaikhana is entirely free. You don't have to make a donation to receive the daily poem or explore the web site. Your contribution is always welcome, but you can enjoy the poetry anyway.

How much is $2/month? The cost of one cup of chai. Less, actually.

The Poetry Chaikhana encourages respect for the rich diversity of religion and cultures -- so needed in the world today.

Ivan maintains the Poetry Chaikhana in his free time, usually in the mornings before work. Your donation allows him to trim back his work hours and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana and your emails.

I know economic times are tight for many people. A small amount contributed each month is as helpful as a larger one-time donation.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Video Channel

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".