IndiaDivine.org

Ramana Maharshi about Deepavali

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Conquest of Hell (Naraka)The Puranas say that Lord Narayana has killed the demon [of misery], Naraka Asura. This demon is none other than the one who lives as “I am this body, the source of misery”. One who seeks Naraka Asura’s [i.e., the ego’s] source, and thus annihilates him, is truly Lord Narayana Himself.

The Deepavali-bath, which is taken by all people on the fourteenth moon in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka, signifies the bath of Jnana, which is taken after destroying the ego Naraka Asura, by searching for his source.

Michael James: Deepavali or Naraka Chaturdasi is an annual festival celebrated in India on the fourteenth day of the waning moon in October or November. In this verse Sri Bhagavan explains the significance of the oil bath which is customarily taken by people on the morning of that day in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka-Asura by Lord Narayana [Maha-Vishnu].

The above two verses were summarised in the following verse by Sri Bhagavan:He who kills Narakasura (the ego) with the Wheel [i.e.weapon] of Jnana, by enquiring, “Where is the source of Narakasura who rules over Narakaloka, this wretched body, as ‘I’?”, is Lord Narayana; and that day [of the ego’s destruction] is the auspicious day of the fourteenth moon.

Deepavali signifies the great Self-Effulgence which shines after destroying the reflected light [i.e. the ego], Narakasura, who was ruling this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.Michael James: Deepavali means the “Festival of Lights”. The above verse which explains the significance of the “Lights” [i.e. the firecrackers used on that day] was rewritten as follows by Sri Bhagavan with only a slight change in the meaning, but in poetry which was clearer and more beautiful because of the precision of each syllable.

Deepavali signified the shining of Self after the destruction, through enquiry, of the greatest sinner,Naraka [the ego], who took the abode of this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.

Source: GURU VACHAKA KOVAI The Light of Supreme Truth or THE COLLECTION OF GURU’S SAYINGS translated from original Tamil By Sadhu Om and Michael James Guru Vachaka Kovai is the biggest collection of Bhagavan’s spoken teachings that was thoroughly checked and revised by him during his lifetime. As such it has a unique place in the Ramana literature.

http://prashantaboutindia.blogspot.com/2009/04/ramana-maharshi-about-deepavali.html

Guest guest

Dear Prasanth

please accept my gratitude for your posting!

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Prasanth Jalasutram

undisclosed-recipients:

Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:43 AM

Ramana Maharshi about Deepavali

The Conquest of Hell (Naraka)The Puranas say that Lord Narayana has killed the demon [of misery], Naraka Asura. This demon is none other than the one who lives as “I am this body, the source of misery”. One who seeks Naraka Asura’s [i.e., the ego’s] source, and thus annihilates him, is truly Lord Narayana Himself.The Deepavali-bath, which is taken by all people on the fourteenth moon in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka, signifies the bath of Jnana, which is taken after destroying the ego Naraka Asura, by searching for his source.Michael James: Deepavali or Naraka Chaturdasi is an annual festival celebrated in India on the fourteenth day of the waning moon in October or November. In this verse Sri Bhagavan explains the significance of the oil bath which is customarily taken by people on the morning of that day in remembrance of the conquest of Naraka-Asura by Lord Narayana [Maha-Vishnu].The above two verses were summarised in the following verse by Sri Bhagavan:He who kills Narakasura (the ego) with the Wheel [i.e.weapon] of Jnana, by enquiring, “Where is the source of Narakasura who rules over Narakaloka, this wretched body, as ‘I’?”, is Lord Narayana; and that day [of the ego’s destruction] is the auspicious day of the fourteenth moon.Deepavali signifies the great Self-Effulgence which shines after destroying the reflected light [i.e. the ego], Narakasura, who was ruling this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.Michael James: Deepavali means the “Festival of Lights”. The above verse which explains the significance of the “Lights” [i.e. the firecrackers used on that day] was rewritten as follows by Sri Bhagavan with only a slight change in the meaning, but in poetry which was clearer and more beautiful because of the precision of each syllable.Deepavali signified the shining of Self after the destruction, through enquiry, of the greatest sinner,Naraka [the ego], who took the abode of this filthy body, which is the form of hell, as ‘I’.Source: GURU VACHAKA KOVAI The Light of Supreme Truth or THE COLLECTION OF GURU’S SAYINGS translated from original Tamil By Sadhu Om and Michael James Guru Vachaka Kovai is the biggest collection of Bhagavan’s spoken teachings that was thoroughly checked and revised by him during his lifetime. As such it has a unique place in the Ramana literature.

http://prashantaboutindia.blogspot.com/2009/04/ramana-maharshi-about-deepavali.html

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.238 / Virus Database: 270.11.53/2054 - Release 04/11/09 10:51:00