IndiaDivine.org

Omar Khayyam - [71] And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A week end verse from Ivan. Please see his notes at the foot to explain this cryptic verse. Best wishes for an auspicious week end to all, in His Grace, Alan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

[71] And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,

By Omar Khayyam(11th Century)

English version by Edward FitzGerald

And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,And robb'd me of my Robe of Honor -- well, I often wonder what the Vintners buyOne half so precious as the Goods they sell.

-- from The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, by Omar Khayyam / Translated by Edward FitzGerald

Amazon.com / Photo by jurvetson /

============

Thought for the Day:

Maybe the journey's endis just around the corner.Maybe it's right under your feet.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Maggie Sansone

A Traveler's Dream

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Wine, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is a metaphor for the heavenly drink of bliss. Here Omar Khayyam is speaking of the Infidel wine with an ironic double meaning. On the one hand it is the forbidden earthly drink in the Islamic world, the drink tasted only by "Infidels." (I should point out that, in reality, many Muslims drink alcohol.) On the other hand, wine is the promised drink of paradise. In the very foundations of Islam, wine has had a dual nature, from the profane to the most sacred -- and Sufi poetry loves to play with this paradox.For Khayyam, it is the heavenly wine, the drink of bliss that has played the Infidel by robbing him of his "Robe and Honor." This is a reference to how the nondualistic perspective that overwhelmes you in deep bliss makes all distinctions and social roles, even religious roles and positions of honor, empty. You recognize yourself as

essentially whole, even though you stand naked, stripped of the robes of social position. The Infidel Wine has made you an infidel to the outer forms of religion and social honor.We are all of us "Vintners," makers of the wine of divine union. But, Khayyam asks, what can we buy in the world -- money, power, position, fame, companionship -- that is even half as valuable as the heavenly wine we waste in order to gain those things?It is best to spend our lives in quiet fermentation, cultivating within ourselves heavenly wine, and drinking deeply until we become drunk in indescribable joy!===Omar Khayyam was best known in his time as a mathematician and astronomer. His theorems are still studied by mathematicians today. His poetry really only became widely read when Edward FitzGerald collected several quatrains (rubaiyat) that were attributed to Khayyam and translated them into English as the Rubaiyat of Omar

Khayyam.The common view in the West of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam is that it is a collection of sensual love poems. Although some scholars debate this question, many people assert that Omar Khayyam was a Sufi, as well as a poet and mathematician, and that his Rubaiyat can only be truly understood using the language of mystical metaphor.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Building the Poetry Chaikhana Community - Comments (5) As you read these poem emails, as you visit the website, if you are regularly touched by that spark of connection and inspiration, please consider supporting the Poetry Chaikhana... More

Story / Koan: Tipping Over a Vase - Comments (4) Hyakujo filled a vase with water and set it on the ground before the assembled monks... More

Updates to the Poetry Chaikhana Software - Do you ever wonder what I do for the Poetry Chaikhana besides sending out poetry...? More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaI want to send out a sincere thank you to each one of you who contributed some of your hard-earned money recently:- Chris (CO), Ricardo, Benny (Israel), Suzanne (CA), Prof. T (TX), Kathryn (NY), Janice (NY), Alima (HI), HSALI (MI) And thank you to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription. New rs:- NasimI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

The daily poem can bring fresh perspectives to your contemplation or prayer practice.

When you donate I send a really cool thank you ecard. Make a donation and see for yourself!

The Poetry Chaikhana is entirely free. You don't have to make a donation to receive the daily poem or explore the web site. Your contribution is always welcome, but you can enjoy the poetry anyway.

How much is $2/month? The cost of one cup of chai. Less, actually.

The Poetry Chaikhana encourages respect for the rich diversity of religion and cultures -- so needed in the world today.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".