IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Li-Young Lee - Out of Hiding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

An interesting poem sent in by Ivan for posting. --- On Mon, 27/4/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Poetry Chaikhana <ivan[Poetry Chaikhana] Li-Young Lee - Out of HidingalanadamsjacobsDate: Monday, 27 April, 2009, 5:16 PM

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Out of Hiding

By Li-Young Lee(1957 - )

Someone said my name in the garden,while I grew smallerin the spreading shadow of the peonies,grew larger by my absence to another,grew older among the ants, ancientunder the opening heads of the flowers,new to myself, and stranger.When I heard my name again, it sounded far,like the name of the child next door,or a favorite cousin visiting for the summer,while the quiet seemed my true name,a near and inaudible singingborn of hidden ground.Quiet to quiet, I called back.And the birds declared my whereabouts all morning.

-- from Book of My Nights, by Li-Young Lee

Amazon.com / Photo by popofatticus /

============

Thought for the Day:

In this divine game of hide-and-seekstop pretendingthere is any place to hide.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Dancing Hands

Jaguar at Half Moon Lake

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -It's been too long since we last had a poem by Li-Young Lee.Someone said my name in the garden,while I grew smallerin the spreading shadow of the peonies,grew larger by my absence to another,grew older among the ants, ancientA child's game of hide-and-seek becomes a moment of magical awareness, of silence, of self-discovery.under the opening heads of the flowers,new to myself, and stranger.That game of secret places and stillness becomes the opportunity mystics of the great traditions seek--while the quiet seemed my true name,--the opportunity to disappear and, at the same time, to become profoundly yourself.The poems title "Out of Hiding" hints at one other truth: Through this kind of hiding, we actually come out of hiding. It is a form of disappearing that fundamentally

reveals us to the world.Quiet to quiet, I called back.And the birds declared my whereabouts all morning.IvanPS - Today's thought for the day was selected randomly. Pure coincidence. Synchronicities like that add a magical touch to the day, don't they?PPS - Speaking of playful insights, take a look at the blog post on Found Poetry (link below). I think you'll have fun...PPPS - A warm thank you to everyone for your support of the Poetry Chaikhana. Donations are continuing to come in. Your help is what allows me to do this work.

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Found Haiku - Comments (1) Here's the idea: Take lines from a book or magazine, overheard snippets of conversation... and use them as found objects to construct a haiku. More

Building the Poetry Chaikhana Community - Comments (5) As you read these poem emails, as you visit the website, if you are regularly touched by that spark of connection and inspiration, please consider supporting the Poetry Chaikhana... More

Story / Koan: Tipping Over a Vase - Comments (4) Hyakujo filled a vase with water and set it on the ground before the assembled monks... More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Guest guest

Oh, that's beautiful!JillOn Apr 27, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Alan Jacobs wrote:An interesting poem sent in by Ivan for posting. --- On Mon, 27/4/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan (AT) poetry-chaikhana (DOT) com> wrote:Poetry Chaikhana <ivan (AT) poetry-chaikhana (DOT) com>[Poetry Chaikhana] Li-Young Lee - Out of Hidingalanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.ukDate: Monday, 27 April, 2009, 5:16 PMHere's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana -- Out of HidingBy Li-Young Lee(1957 - ) Someone said my name in the garden,while I grew smallerin the spreading shadow of the peonies,grew larger by my absence to another,grew older among the ants, ancientunder the opening heads of the flowers,new to myself, and stranger.When I heard my name again, it sounded far,like the name of the child next door,or a favorite cousin visiting for the summer,while the quiet seemed my true name,a near and inaudible singingborn of hidden ground.Quiet to quiet, I called back.And the birds declared my whereabouts all morning. -- from Book of My Nights, by Li-Young LeeAmazon.com / Photo by popofatticus /============Thought for the Day:In this divine game of hide-and-seekstop pretendingthere is any place to hide.============Here's your Daily Music selection --Dancing HandsJaguar at Half Moon LakeListen - PurchaseMore Music Selections Hi Alan -It's been too long since we last had a poem by Li-Young Lee.Someone said my name in the garden,while I grew smallerin the spreading shadow of the peonies,grew larger by my absence to another,grew older among the ants, ancientA child's game of hide-and-seek becomes a moment of magical awareness, of silence, of self-discovery.under the opening heads of the flowers,new to myself, and stranger.That game of secret places and stillness becomes the opportunity mystics of the great traditions seek--while the quiet seemed my true name,--the opportunity to disappear and, at the same time, to become profoundly yourself.The poems title "Out of Hiding" hints at one other truth: Through this kind of hiding, we actually come out of hiding. It is a form of disappearing that fundamentally reveals us to the world.Quiet to quiet, I called back.And the birds declared my whereabouts all morning.IvanPS - Today's thought for the day was selected randomly. Pure coincidence. Synchronicities like that add a magical touch to the day, don't they?PPS - Speaking of playful insights, take a look at the blog post on Found Poetry (link below). I think you'll have fun...PPPS - A warm thank you to everyone for your support of the Poetry Chaikhana. Donations are continuing to come in. Your help is what allows me to do this work. Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary... New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:Found Haiku - Comments (1) Here's the idea: Take lines from a book or magazine, overheard snippets of conversation... and use them as found objects to construct a haiku. MoreBuilding the Poetry Chaikhana Community - Comments (5) As you read these poem emails, as you visit the website, if you are regularly touched by that spark of connection and inspiration, please consider supporting the Poetry Chaikhana...MoreStory / Koan: Tipping Over a Vase - Comments (4) Hyakujo filled a vase with water and set it on the ground before the assembled monks... MoreSupport the Poetry ChaikhanaDonations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!Click here You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!Click hereA small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo. Click hereHelp the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo. Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitterwww.Poetry-Chaikhana.comPoetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306 Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.============Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".