Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A poem sent by Ivan Granger

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

When the mind is at peace

By P'ang Yun (Layman P'ang)(740? - 808)

English version by Stephen Mitchell

When the mind is at peace,the world too is at peace.Nothing real, nothing absent.Not holding on to reality,not getting stuck in the void,you are neither holy nor wise, justan ordinary fellow who has completed his work.

-- from The Enlightened Heart: An Anthology of Sacred Poetry, by Stephen Mitchell

Amazon.com / Photo by makani5 /

============

Thought for the Day:

If I turn a blind eye to the suffering of another, I automatically bring suffering to myself...and I become a little more blind.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

C Lanzbom

Dreams

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -You know, it feels like one of those odd days -- nothing wrong, just a day of irregular rhythms, strange thoughts, quirky synchronicities. Does it feel that way to you too?Maybe Layman Pang has something to say to us on an odd day...When the mind is at peaceThe world too is at peace.What more is there to add other than to experience it for oneself?Nothing real, nothing absent.Not holding on to reality,not getting stuck in the void...Enlightened awareness is not a game of carefully constructed definitions. It is not a feat of the intellect, which can only separate and categorize perceived reality. Even at its most subtle and incisive, when the intellect tries to separate the real from the non-real, it is setting up a filter upon the awareness.When the mind is truly at peace, not only have thoughts come to a

rest, but more importantly those unconscious mental filters no longer pre-sift the perception of reality. He seems to be describing a trail for us to follow, a path found precisely where reality meets void, and we must gracefully walk between the two.With no clinging to either "reality" or "void," the whole and unfiltered vision comes upon us.Engulfed by this truth, we are not "wise" or "holy" -- those are further categories that others may or may not heap upon you. No, we just ARE. We are not this or that, we are. ...an ordinary fellow who has completed his work.We no longer feel the need to do something to validate our existence; we undeniably are -- and our work is therefore completed.===The Sayings of Layman P'ang is an important Chinese Zen / Chan classic, a collection of short, sometimes enigmatic dialogs and poems from this unusual sage. He is one of the first of the great Chinese

Buddhist masters to reject the life of a monk even after enlightenment, choosing instead to remain a simple "layman." That act opened the way for subsequent generations of non-monastic seekers, and householder sages.Have a beautiful day...Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Story: The Story of Fire - Comments (1) A delightful Sufi story about the light of truth, the heat of human passions, while exploring questions of cultural memory, religious institutions, and how to pass on knowledge More

Video: Do Re Mi in Antwerp's Central Station - Comments (3) My friend Sandeep introduced me to this video: Central Station of Antwerp, more than 200 dancers, Do Re Mi This'll put a smile on your face! More

Website Updates - Comments (1) You can now search for anything anywhere on the Poetry Chaikhana site, from any page! Search for poets, words, phrases, themes, spiritual traditions... More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".