IndiaDivine.org

Part 1 -- Talks Of Ramana Maharshi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

“How to avoid misery?” The Master answers: “Has misery a shape? Misery is only an unwanted thought. The mind is not strong enough to resist it. It can be strengthened by worship of God.” -- Talks 241

“I have no peace of mind. Something prevents it — probably my destiny.” Bhagavan answers: “What is destiny? There is no destiny. Surrender and all will be well. Throw all the responsibility on God. Do not bear the burden yourself. What can destiny do to you then?” -- Talks 244

“Siva made over all His possessions to Vishnu and went roaming about in forests, wildernesses and graveyards, living on begged food. He found non-possession to be higher in the scale of happiness than possessions. The higher happiness is freedom from anxiety — anxiety over how to protect the possessions and how to utilise them, etc.” -- Talks 225

“If happiness is due to one’s possessions, then it should increase and decrease proportionately to their increase and decrease, and becomes nil if one has nothing to possess. But is this true? Does experience bear this out? “In deep sleep one is devoid of possessions, including one’s own body; yet one then is supremely happy. Everyone desires sound sleep. The conclusion is that happiness is inherent in one’s own self and is not due to external causes. One must realise his Self in order to open for oneself the store of unalloyed happiness.” -- Talks 3

“What is happiness? Is it inherent in the Self or in the object, or in the contact between the subject and the object?” Bhagavan: “When there is contact with a desirable object or memory thereof, and when there is freedom from undesirable contacts, or memory thereof, we say there is happiness. Such happiness is relative and is better called pleasure. But we want absolute and permanent happiness. This does not reside in objects but in the Absolute. It is peace free from pain and pleasure — it is a neutral state.” -- Talks 28

“There is a state beyond our efforts and effortlessness. Until it is realised, effort is necessary. (This is the state of samadhi, which is blissful). After tasting such bliss even once, one will repeatedly try to regain it. Having once experienced the bliss of peace, no one would like to be out of it, or engage himself otherwise. It is as difficult for the Jnani to engage in thought as it is for an ajnani to be free from thought. Any kind of activity does not affect a jnani; his mind remains ever in eternal peace.” -- Talks 141

“The universe exists on account of the ‘I’-thought. If that ends there is an end of misery also. The person who is in sleep is also now awake. There is happiness in sleep but misery in wakefulness. In sleep there was no ‘I’-thought, but it is now while awake. The state of happiness in sleep is effortless. We should therefore aim to bring about that state even now. That requires effort.” -- Talks 222

“Your nature is happiness. You say that this is not apparent. See what obstructs you from your true being. It is pointed out to you that the obstruction is the wrong identity. Eliminate the error. The patient himself must take the medicine to cure his illness. If, as you say, the patient is too weak to help himself, then he must remain quiet, giving a free hand to the doctor. That is effortlessness.” -- Talks 295

“The desire for happiness is a proof of the ever-existent happiness of the Self. Otherwise how can desire for it arise? If headache were natural to human beings, no one would try to get rid of it. One desires only that which is natural to him.Happiness, being natural, it is not acquired. Primal bliss is obscured by the not-Self, which is non-bliss, or misery. Loss of unhappiness amounts to gaining of happiness. When misery is eliminated the bliss which is ever-present is said to be gained. Happiness mixed with misery is only misery.” -- Talks 619

“Why should there be suffering now?” Bhagavan: “If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise,how would the quest of the Self be successful? What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, or timely meals and the like? Even an Emperor has endless troubles, though he may be healthy. All suffering is due to the false notion ‘I-am-the-body’. Getting rid of it is jnanam.” -- Talks 633

.... To Be Continued-- Om namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram

Guest guest

Dear Prasanth,

Thanks for your posts. Each one of your posts contain a good number of Gems from Bhagavan. One could reflect upon or hold each Gem in the heart for many days before reading the next one. May I suggest, therefore, that you spread out your posts. Otherwise we may just feel overwhelmed by the amount of material you send, and miss the insights and teaching you are hoping to share with us.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Behalf Of Prasanth Jalasutram03 June 2009 08:11 Part 1 -- Talks Of Ramana Maharshi

“How to avoid misery?” The Master answers: “Has misery a shape? Misery is only an unwanted thought. The mind is not strong enough to resist it. It can be strengthened by worship of God.” -- Talks 241“I have no peace of mind. Something prevents it — probably my destiny.” Bhagavan answers: “What is destiny? There is no destiny. Surrender and all will be well. Throw all the responsibility on God. Do not bear the burden yourself. What can destiny do to you then?” -- Talks 244“Siva made over all His possessions to Vishnu and went roaming about in forests, wildernesses and graveyards, living on begged food. He found non-possession to be higher in the scale of happiness than possessions. The higher happiness is freedom from anxiety — anxiety over how to protect the possessions and how to utilise them, etc.” -- Talks 225“If happiness is due to one’s possessions, then it should increase and decrease proportionately to their increase and decrease, and becomes nil if one has nothing to possess. But is this true? Does experience bear this out? “In deep sleep one is devoid of possessions, including one’s own body; yet one then is supremely happy. Everyone desires sound sleep. The conclusion is that happiness is inherent in one’s own self and is not due to external causes. One must realise his Self in order to open for oneself the store of unalloyed happiness.” -- Talks 3“What is happiness? Is it inherent in the Self or in the object, or in the contact between the subject and the object?” Bhagavan: “When there is contact with a desirable object or memory thereof, and when there is freedom from undesirable contacts, or memory thereof, we say there is happiness. Such happiness is relative and is better called pleasure. But we want absolute and permanent happiness. This does not reside in objects but in the Absolute. It is peace free from pain and pleasure — it is a neutral state.” -- Talks 28“There is a state beyond our efforts and effortlessness. Until it is realised, effort is necessary. (This is the state of samadhi, which is blissful). After tasting such bliss even once, one will repeatedly try to regain it. Having once experienced the bliss of peace, no one would like to be out of it, or engage himself otherwise. It is as difficult for the Jnani to engage in thought as it is for an ajnani to be free from thought. Any kind of activity does not affect a jnani; his mind remains ever in eternal peace.” -- Talks 141“The universe exists on account of the ‘I’-thought. If that ends there is an end of misery also. The person who is in sleep is also now awake. There is happiness in sleep but misery in wakefulness. In sleep there was no ‘I’-thought, but it is now while awake. The state of happiness in sleep is effortless. We should therefore aim to bring about that state even now. That requires effort.” -- Talks 222“Your nature is happiness. You say that this is not apparent. See what obstructs you from your true being. It is pointed out to you that the obstruction is the wrong identity. Eliminate the error. The patient himself must take the medicine to cure his illness. If, as you say, the patient is too weak to help himself, then he must remain quiet, giving a free hand to the doctor. That is effortlessness.” -- Talks 295“The desire for happiness is a proof of the ever-existent happiness of the Self. Otherwise how can desire for it arise? If headache were natural to human beings, no one would try to get rid of it. One desires only that which is natural to him.Happiness, being natural, it is not acquired. Primal bliss is obscured by the not-Self, which is non-bliss, or misery. Loss of unhappiness amounts to gaining of happiness. When misery is eliminated the bliss which is ever-present is said to be gained. Happiness mixed with misery is only misery.” -- Talks 619“Why should there be suffering now?” Bhagavan: “If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise,how would the quest of the Self be successful? What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, or timely meals and the like? Even an Emperor has endless troubles, though he may be healthy. All suffering is due to the false notion ‘I-am-the-body’. Getting rid of it is jnanam.” -- Talks 633

.... To Be Continued

-- Om namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram

Guest guest

Surely Peter. Infact i was also reading this book from the past 1 week.Om namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth JalasutramOn Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Peter <not_2 wrote:

Dear Prasanth,

Thanks for your posts.  Each one of your posts contain a good number of Gems from Bhagavan.  One could reflect upon or hold each Gem in the heart for many days before reading the next one.  May I suggest, therefore, that you spread out your posts.  Otherwise we may just feel overwhelmed by the amount of material you send, and miss the insights and teaching you are hoping to share with us.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Behalf Of Prasanth Jalasutram03 June 2009 08:11 Part 1 -- Talks Of Ramana Maharshi

“How to avoid misery?” The Master answers: “Has misery a shape? Misery is only an unwanted thought. The mind is not strong enough to resist it. It can be strengthened by worship of God.” -- Talks 241“I have no peace of mind. Something prevents it — probably my destiny.” Bhagavan answers: “What is destiny? There is no destiny. Surrender and all will be well. Throw all the responsibility on God. Do not bear the burden yourself. What can destiny do to you then?” -- Talks 244“Siva made over all His possessions to Vishnu and went roaming about in forests, wildernesses and graveyards, living on begged food. He found non-possession to be higher in the scale of happiness than possessions. The higher happiness is freedom from anxiety — anxiety over how to protect the possessions and how to utilise them, etc.” -- Talks 225“If happiness is due to one’s possessions, then it should increase and decrease proportionately to their increase and decrease, and becomes nil if one has nothing to possess. But is this true? Does experience bear this out? “In deep sleep one is devoid of possessions, including one’s own body; yet one then is supremely happy. Everyone desires sound sleep. The conclusion is that happiness is inherent in one’s own self and is not due to external causes. One must realise his Self in order to open for oneself the store of unalloyed happiness.” -- Talks 3“What is happiness? Is it inherent in the Self or in the object, or in the contact between the subject and the object?” Bhagavan: “When there is contact with a desirable object or memory thereof, and when there is freedom from undesirable contacts, or memory thereof, we say there is happiness. Such happiness is relative and is better called pleasure. But we want absolute and permanent happiness. This does not reside in objects but in the Absolute. It is peace free from pain and pleasure — it is a neutral state.” -- Talks 28“There is a state beyond our efforts and effortlessness. Until it is realised, effort is necessary. (This is the state of samadhi, which is blissful). After tasting such bliss even once, one will repeatedly try to regain it. Having once experienced the bliss of peace, no one would like to be out of it, or engage himself otherwise. It is as difficult for the Jnani to engage in thought as it is for an ajnani to be free from thought. Any kind of activity does not affect a jnani; his mind remains ever in eternal peace.” -- Talks 141“The universe exists on account of the ‘I’-thought. If that ends there is an end of misery also. The person who is in sleep is also now awake. There is happiness in sleep but misery in wakefulness. In sleep there was no ‘I’-thought, but it is now while awake. The state of happiness in sleep is effortless. We should therefore aim to bring about that state even now. That requires effort.” -- Talks 222“Your nature is happiness. You say that this is not apparent. See what obstructs you from your true being. It is pointed out to you that the obstruction is the wrong identity. Eliminate the error. The patient himself must take the medicine to cure his illness. If, as you say, the patient is too weak to help himself, then he must remain quiet, giving a free hand to the doctor. That is effortlessness.” -- Talks 295“The desire for happiness is a proof of the ever-existent happiness of the Self. Otherwise how can desire for it arise? If headache were natural to human beings, no one would try to get rid of it. One desires only that which is natural to him.Happiness, being natural, it is not acquired. Primal bliss is obscured by the not-Self, which is non-bliss, or misery. Loss of unhappiness amounts to gaining of happiness. When misery is eliminated the bliss which is ever-present is said to be gained. Happiness mixed with misery is only misery.” -- Talks 619“Why should there be suffering now?” Bhagavan: “If there were no suffering, how could the desire to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise,how would the quest of the Self be successful? What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, or timely meals and the like? Even an Emperor has endless troubles, though he may be healthy. All suffering is due to the false notion ‘I-am-the-body’. Getting rid of it is jnanam.” -- Talks 633

.... To Be Continued

-- Om namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram

--

Guest guest

Dear Prasanth,

Peter has a good point.

Love,

Harsha

On

Behalf Of Peter

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:28 AM

RE: Part 1 -- Talks Of Ramana

Maharshi

Dear Prasanth,

Thanks for your posts. Each one of your posts contain a good

number of Gems from Bhagavan. One could reflect upon or

hold each Gem in the heart for many days before reading the next

one. May I suggest, therefore, that you spread out your posts.

Otherwise we may just feel overwhelmed by the amount of material you send, and

miss the insights and teaching you are hoping to share with us.

Best wishes,

Peter

On Behalf Of Prasanth Jalasutram

03 June 2009 08:11

Part 1 -- Talks Of Ramana

Maharshi

“How to avoid

misery?” The Master answers: “Has misery a shape? Misery is only

an unwanted thought. The mind is not strong enough to resist it. It

can be strengthened by worship of God.” -- Talks 241

“I have no peace of mind. Something

prevents it — probably my destiny.” Bhagavan answers: “What

is destiny? There is no destiny. Surrender and all will be well. Throw all the

responsibility on God. Do not bear the burden yourself. What can destiny do to

you then?” -- Talks 244

“Siva made over all His possessions to

Vishnu and went roaming about in forests, wildernesses and graveyards, living

on begged food. He found non-possession to be higher in the scale of happiness

than possessions. The higher happiness is freedom from anxiety —

anxiety over how to protect the possessions and how to utilise them,

etc.” -- Talks 225

“If happiness is due to one’s

possessions, then it should increase and decrease proportionately to their

increase and decrease, and becomes nil if one has nothing to possess. But is

this true? Does experience bear this out? “In deep sleep one is devoid of

possessions, including one’s own body; yet one then is supremely

happy. Everyone desires sound sleep. The conclusion is that

happiness is inherent in one’s own self and is not due to external

causes. One must realise his Self in order to open for oneself the

store of unalloyed happiness.” -- Talks 3

“What is happiness? Is it inherent in the

Self or in the object, or in the contact between the subject and the

object?” Bhagavan: “When there is contact with a desirable object

or memory thereof, and when there is freedom from undesirable contacts, or

memory thereof, we say there is happiness. Such happiness is relative and is better

called pleasure. But we want absolute and permanent happiness. This does not

reside in objects but in the Absolute. It is peace free from pain and pleasure

— it is a neutral state.” -- Talks 28

“There is a state beyond our efforts and

effortlessness. Until it is realised, effort is necessary. (This is the state

of samadhi, which is blissful). After tasting such bliss even once, one will

repeatedly try to regain it. Having once experienced the bliss of peace, no one

would like to be out of it, or engage himself otherwise. It is as difficult for

the Jnani to engage in thought as it is for an ajnani to be free from thought.

Any kind of activity does not affect a jnani; his mind remains ever in eternal

peace.” -- Talks 141

“The universe exists on account of the

‘I’-thought. If that ends there is an end of misery also. The

person who is in sleep is also now awake. There is happiness in sleep but

misery in wakefulness. In sleep there was no ‘I’-thought, but it is

now while awake. The state of happiness in sleep is effortless. We should

therefore aim to bring about that state even now. That requires effort.”

-- Talks 222

“Your nature is happiness. You say that this

is not apparent. See what obstructs you from your true being. It is pointed out

to you that the obstruction is the wrong identity. Eliminate the error. The

patient himself must take the medicine to cure his illness. If, as you say, the

patient is too weak to help himself, then he must remain quiet, giving a free

hand to the doctor. That is effortlessness.” -- Talks 295

“The desire for happiness is a proof of

the ever-existent happiness of the Self. Otherwise how can desire for it arise?

If headache were natural to human beings, no one would try to get rid of it.

One desires only that which is natural to him.Happiness, being natural, it

is not acquired. Primal bliss is obscured by the not-Self, which is non-bliss,

or misery. Loss of unhappiness amounts to gaining of happiness. When misery is

eliminated the bliss which is ever-present is said to be gained. Happiness

mixed with misery is only misery.” -- Talks 619

“Why should there be suffering

now?” Bhagavan: “If there were no suffering, how could the desire

to be happy arise? If that desire did not arise,how would the quest of the Self

be successful? What is happiness? Is it a healthy and handsome body, or timely

meals and the like? Even an Emperor has endless troubles, though he may be

healthy. All suffering is due to the false notion ‘I-am-the-body’.

Getting rid of it is jnanam.” -- Talks 633

.... To Be Continued

--

Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth Jalasutram