IndiaDivine.org

Spiritual Instruction Of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Why do thoughts of many objects arise in the mind even when there is no contact with external objects?All such thoughts are due to latent tendencies (purva samskaras). They appear only to the individual consciousness (jiva) which has forgotten its real nature and become externalised. Whenever particular things are perceived, the enquiry “Who is it that sees them”? should be made; they will then disappear at once.

What are the rules of conduct which an aspirant (sadhaka) should follow?Moderation in food, moderation in sleep and moderation in speech.How long should one practice?

Until the mind attains effortlessly its natural state of freedom from concepts, that is till the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ exists no longer.It is an established rule that so long as there is the least idea of I-am-the-doer, Self-knowledge cannot be attained, but is it possible for an aspirant who is a householder to discharge his duties properly without this sense?

As there is no rule that action should depend upon a sense of being the doer it is unnecessary to doubt whether any action will take place without a doer or an act of doing. Although the officer of a government treasury may appear, in the eyes of others, to be doing his duty attentively and responsibly all day long, he will be discharging his duties without attachment, thinking ‘I have no real connection with all this money’ and without a sense of involvement in his mind. In the same manner a wise householder may also discharge without attachment the various household duties which fall to his lot according to his past karma, like a tool in the hands of another. Action and knowledge are not obstacles to each other.

Of what use to his family is a wise householder who is unmindful of his bodily comforts and of what use is his family to him?Although he is entirely unmindful of his bodily comforts, if, owing to his past karma, his family have to subsist by his efforts, he may be regarded as doing service to others. If it is asked whether the wise man derives any benefit from the discharge of domestic duties, it may be answered that, as he has already attained the state of complete satisfaction which is the sum total of all benefits and the highest good of all, he does not stand to gain anything more by discharging family duties.

Source: Spiritual Instruction Of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi

-- Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth Jalasutram